Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Maca

Hi Sabrina,

I've actually lost an inch around my butt, but then I lost 10 lbs in two months. My waist lost more inches.

A heaped teaspoon is 3,000 mg. Start with a flat one the first week (1,000 mg), two flat ones the second week, a heaped one the third week, and so on. After seven weeks, stop for a week, and resume at 2,000 mg. That's Prettymama's schedule, and it worked for her.

hi isabelle, is that every day and wat time of the day ?thx for the replies

Isabelle,
I think that is amazing you've lost 10 pounds and only an inch off the butt, and you kept your bust size.
You are sure doing a good job of "maintaining"Big Grin

Yes Sabrina, that's once a day. I take all the maca in the morning because it gives me energy.

Thank you Melissa,

Sometimes I get discouraged, but I should be proud that I lost 10 lbs from my waist Smile

hi isabelle,ive been taking it for 2 weeks,1 teaspoon,in morning and ive not had no tingles or anyting ,the thing i have noticed is my stomach seems to b bloated more Sad

Hi sabrina,

You need to increase the dose, but slowly. I had a bad experience from increasing maca too fast, while decreasing fenugreek:
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=8419&pid=35158#pid35158

does maca make u lose hair? as i am shedding a lot and i dont know if its because of maca

Oh dear, Sabrina,

Yes, it can. Maca is said to increase dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). Testosterone is made from DHEA.

From testosterone, the enzyme 5α-reductase makes dehydrotestosterone (DHT).
Also from testosterone, another enzyme, aromatase, makes estrogens.

DHT is what makes you shed hair and break out and grow facial hair. It also has positive effects: DHT increases libido and energy, and it builds the capability to cope with stress. Most of those positive effects, you can also expect from progesterone.

To block 5α-reductase, you can take an anti-androgen. The strongest is saw palmetto (SP), but spearmint tea helps too. Some phyto-estrogen herbs also have their own anti-androgens included, like hops has xanthohumol, and PM has β-sitosterol. My complete list of anti-androgens is:

Anti-androgens:
hops cones
spearmint tea (peppermint is more estrogenic)
saw palmetto berry
stinging nettle root
pumpkin seed oil
borage seed oil
Zinc < 80 mg
vitamin B6
azelaic acid (in rye, barley grass, whole grain cereals)
Secoisolariciresinol diglycoside (SDG), the main lignan in flax (linseed)
β-Sitosterol

Sorry I didn't write this in my first answer, but the safe way to take maca is this: first you adjust the dose of anti-androgens, and make sure there are no aromatase blockers in your diet. Then, when you know your breasts are growing, add maca. It speeds up your system in the direction where it was already going. So if you were losing hair instead of growing breasts, that will go faster.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon