Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Nettle vs. Saw Palmetto

I CANT USE SAW PALMETTO...
June 23 2006 at 1:21 AM
Ada (Login pinktatsu)
EVE MEMBERS
Has any one grown with out using SAW PALMETTO? Im affraido to use it in my routine, because its the only herb that says that i shouldnt take while taking birth control pills, and i asked a pharmacist if Saw palmetto could interfiere with my birth control, and he said YES! that SP can interfiere with that or any other hormonal med, so now im taking fenugreek, fennel, and i recently added borage oil, and wild yam. and i tried to use SP for massage, but it stinks!! so i dont want to use saw palmetto at all!! So i want to know if any one had success with herbs, but with out SP!

SugarQ
(Login SugarQ)
Re: I CANT USE SAW PALMETTO...
June 23 2006, 4:14 AM

dont freak out. check out the the picture section and compare the ladies' progress to their routine. you will notice quite a few women didnt bother with saw palmetto. you dont need it. anyways as far as the BC thing goes there are some women who say that talked to a dozen or so (im exaggerating) medical professionals that say SP is safe to take with BC. i dont know who to believe. personally i even if there is the slightest question there could be a problem then i wouldnt play around with getting pregnant but i have to admit there are other who women find the risk to be minimal and in any case they are in a stable relationship so its not a big deal. there have been a few pregancy reports while doing NBE but its rare and might be unrealated to SP but i cant be sure cause most NBE routines contain SP. i know its more fun to be spontaniouse and safe at the same time but there is always the option of backup contracetpives. so its not the end of the world here if you do want SP but are afraid. you can have a very successful routine without SP. but you also have a ton of options available to take it if you really want it in your routine.

there have been alot of women with conserns with mixing NBE and their BC. i went from believing that it was totally unsafe to where it might be fine to now i just dont know. there must be dozens if of topics like this one have have passes on this forum and many others and so much debating back and forth. right now you can do a search for Saw Palmetto and Birth Control pill.

this really isnt ment for you so dont take this personally but i am someone who really gets annoyed by all the accidental pregnancies and children needlessly being brought up in broken homes or without proper child support from a parent. its a very sensative issue to me cause i surrounded by family members,in their teens or they are adults who can barely afford to take care of themselves, getting pregnant and screwing up their kids' lives before they have begun. just the other day my cousin was on BC and yet i saw her drinking Grapefuit juice. i thought that it was not recommended to eat or drink grapefruit when on the pill.its a very irresponsible thing for her or anyone to do. but thats her choice and im only the babysitter.

i hear excuses on this forum that backup BC is bothersome or too expensive but IMO if you are in a situation where you are not ready for a kid(thus the reason you choose to dish out for BC), a child can be more bothersome and expensive(sorry to all the ladies who just love their little ones to pieces but from a non parent's point of view they are not always cute and quite like a toy doll). i would rather know for sure that im safe and spend the extra money then take even the slightest risk and come to this forum with conserns. if you cant afford proper protection then you cant afford to have sex or a child. SO everyone be careful with NBE. i know some of these herbs seem harmless alone but remember we are taking a whole lot of them together for expended periods of time.there are some women who take their NBE herbs and their BC which is fine cause they can afford to do that but to all the other ladies, remeber its better to be safe then sorry.

sorry for the long ranting but right now im babysitting (for free) my cousine's 3 year old daughter who i just love to death cause she is so cute and no matter what she does i cant be mad at her but i just cant wait for your mother to come pick her up already.

Ada
(Login pinktatsu)
EVE MEMBERS
To: SugarQ
June 23 2006, 5:17 AM

Thank you so much for your help SugarQ. i was freaking out about SP, but just because everytime i search online for SP its says that its not recomended to take while on BC. unlike the rest of the herbs, it just says "do not take if pregnant" so thats my concern, but your right , it doesnt say that its a Fact, and i've been on "VAnity" which has SP in it, and i was on the pill too, i guess now its just my mind, 'cause back then i didnt even worry. And i dont know about a back up method, since i am 6 months married so well.. im pretty busy.. Smile hehe and im sure my husband wont like the idea of the "back up method". But your right about kids, i mean i want to have someday, but not for now. I really appreciate ur information, you are very helpful in this forum, im sure everyone here sure knows that! So.. i've been on fenugreek, and fennel for a week and a half, so i guess i'll continue like th at for a month and then i'll add SP. what do u think?

SugarQ
(Login SugarQ)
June 23 2006, 5:42 AM

your welcome,
im so glad you are have the conserns and are asking about it. i was worried to when i read that Sp and grapefruit were a no no with BC. im not in a stable relationship like you are so backup con. is my lifeline lol. i think what you are suggesting is a very good idea. you really dont neef Saw palmetto and so see if you grow without it first then later on try adding it.

i just think that everyone should understand that no one is sure exactly how NBE affects BC and a pregancy so be careful.

Ada
(Login pinktatsu)
EVE MEMBERS
thx SugarQ
June 23 2006, 5:46 AM

Yea i agree!!! ohh.. and im sorry for misspelling ur name SugarQ! it wont happen again! Wink and thanks again 4 ur help! and i'll let u know how my plan works. Smile

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
June 23 2006, 9:59 PM

Hello Ada, I stopped taking SP out of the same reason as you don't want to take it, I stopped taking BC before to start with SP because I heard the same as you, and my pharmacist just recently said the same as yours. In my opinion I would rather be safe than sorry, and since I want to start taking BCP again I stopped the SP a few weeks ago and started the Nettle instead.
I have started taking Nettle Root extract and I still had pains this month, so this may be an alternative for you as well. I am not too sure on dosages yet, I am taking 480 mg a day just now, maybe less would be enough depending on the person or more would be okay too? I am really not too sure, I am using Nettle tea as well for hayfeever symptoms so that will be adding to the effect, but Nettle has androgenic properties like SP does and I couldn't find anything saying that Nettle interacts with BCP, so on that front it seems to be safe, and also otherwise I couldn't find anything negative about it.
I hope this helps and good luck with your routine, keep us posted, and if you try the nettle, let me know how you are getting on.
Lisa

Ada
(Login pinktatsu)
EVE MEMBERS
To: Lisa121
June 23 2006, 10:19 PM

Hello Lisa, thanks for your advice, and yes like you say, i rather be safe than sorry! Ive never heard of Nettle Root before, i wonder if i can find it in the US, i started using Wild Yam. but i dont know if it has the same benefits of SP. i might replace it fot Nettle Root later, if i can find it here. And i hope it works for you. let me know please. for now i'll see how wild yam works for me, thank you for your advice! Good luck with growing! and keep us posted!

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
June 26 2006, 11:13 AM

Hello Ada, you are welcome, I am glad if I can help. I will let you know how the Nettle works for me, but I am sure that it pretty much does the same as the SP. I think you should be able to find it in the US as well, it is used for Prostate Health for men just like Saw Palmetto so you could ask for that at the chemists, just make sure there isn't anything else added to it, they often combine SP and Nettle in those products.
Wild Yam doesn't have any androgenic effects as far as I know but you may grow without those, just be sure to use Evening Primrose Oil ino your routine since that really helps.
Good luck on your BE journey,
Lisa

Ada
(Login pinktatsu)
EVE MEMBERS
Any success with nettle root?
June 27 2006, 11:56 PM

I'm very tempted to try Nettle Root, as it have the same properies than saw palmetto.

PROBLEM: Netlle does not replace Saw palmetto for me
April 13 2007 at 4:22 PM Liz (Login Liz1967)
I stoped taking SP because I was getting full of cellulite on my legs. Now cellulite is going away. I'm taking Nettle root now. But I have no more pains. I believe Nettlee does not replace SP.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: PROBLEM: Netlle does not replace Saw palmetto for me
April 13 2007, 5:41 PM

It is very possible that Nettle root ( root not the leaf part right?) is not as strong as saw palmetto, but it is still one of the herbs recommended to men for protrate problems. Pugeum, stinging nettle, pumpkin seed oil and saw Palmetto. If you feel it is not working the same, up your dosage or take pumpkin seed oil with it. It will take awhile to get through your system and into blood stream working the way you want it to. How long have you been takeing nettle?

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
April 13 2007, 5:56 PM

Sorry, keep spelling this wrong, its pygeum, it is also for BPH. Also while looking at my charts for correct spelling noticed that Horsetail is advised for BPH. If it would be easier, just buy a supplement just for men, prostrate supplement, which would contain some of the herbs I mentioned if not all. Often wondered how a supplement for mens prostrate problems would effect NBE, cause its got everything in it we are after for blocking testrone for NBE.

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
April 14 2007, 10:32 AM

i felt the same that nettleroot is not as good as sawpalmetto and i can tell it based on the condition of my skin.

not sure but maybe i have to take back my words cos have had nice pains lately and maybe the bit of fullness is not only in my head, will see

i was taking sawpalmetto 3 per day and nettleroot i take 3 per day as well.

what i have noticed with both as soon as i up the quatities i get pain in armpits which i dont knnow if is good or not since i have to be careful with my lymphs in there.

but pumpkin seed is smth i want to try as well if only it wasnt so expensive

Bonnette

Liz
(Login Liz1967)
April 15 2007, 1:56 PM

I'm taking Neetle 3 times a day the bottle from Vortex. Do you think I should take more than 3 times a day?
I'm also takink oils: flaxseed, borage and fish oils.
I really didnt want to go back to SP because of fat on my legs...

sandy
(Login sandy111)
SP
April 15 2007, 2:04 PM

Hi.Just a question because u all seem very experienced with SP.Does it stimulate appetite or does it cause weight gain on its own?Thanks

js89
(Login js89)
EVE MEMBERS
April 15 2007, 2:38 PM

I also gained weight and cellulite (which I never had a lot of before) being on WU and SP. I haven't been on either since December, maybe even before then with the SP, and am having a heck of a time getting the weight off. The cellulite in my thighs seems to be better, but the extra weight around the middle is stubborn. I'd like to take nettle and fennel, but am very, very leary. For now I won't.

The SP, or anything else for that matter, did not stimulate my appetite. The cellulite just slowly and steadily appeared, and it was very noticeable.

This message has been edited by js89 on Apr 15, 2007 2:56 PM

Liz
(Login Liz1967)
April 15 2007, 2:47 PM

Sandy it dint estimulate apetit for me but I gained lots of cellulite

sandy
(Login sandy111)
hmmm
April 15 2007, 3:07 PM

I think that is due that SP contains fatty acids.So I'll exercise more.I really don't need any extra fat on my love handles...

Liz
(Login Liz1967)
April 15 2007, 3:10 PM

Even with exercise i'm having troubles with my cellulite. I believe when we are over 40 years old it becomes more and more hard.

sandy
(Login sandy111)
April 15 2007, 3:12 PM

ah.U know i am thin but i have the love handles which i hate so much,and i don't want them to get any bigger.I am also 23 so i hope i have a chance in this.But SP is good for growth that is what i concluded from its usage.

Liz
(Login Liz1967)
April 15 2007, 3:21 PM

i', also thin. I have 1,60m and 49 kilos. But this cellulite is killing me especially now with summer coming...

js89
(Login js89)
EVE MEMBERS
April 15 2007, 3:48 PM

I have always been thin. While I was taking the WU and SP, I watched what I ate and exercised. I started exercising even more when I started gaining the weight. It didn't matter what I did. I still had the awful cellulite. I don't even remember having that with my two pregnancies. If I would have known my body would react that way, I wouldn't have taken it. It is very stubborn and hard to get off now. It wasn't worth any fullness I gained in the breasts.

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
April 15 2007, 3:51 PM

Liz

i think the 3 capsules of nettleroot should be ok, better if u could add the pumpkinseedoil as well. i have lot of light occasional pains with the three nettles from Vortex. But i dont know if it's enough or not for my extra androgens. anyway if it works then it should appear not before six months that's at least what is told about Jeanine which also has the testosterone blocking activities.

about sawplametto yes, it did give a nice appetite. it was no problem for me to finish one jar of peanutbutter in a day and sure i got scared. i dont know about the cellulite but sure i did put on weight.

but in any case i suggest fennel which works as a appetite suppressant. i was taking it and after a while was wondering why i dont want to eat at all. i like to be skinny but if growing boobs as i wish i am now reasonable amounts of nutrition is very important.

Happy spring everyone!

Bonnette

sandy
(no login)
waww
April 15 2007, 4:08 PM

U are thin.I am 160m too but 51 kg.But i dont have any cellulite nor extra fat ,only my love handles.Have u tried cellulite cream?U can solve the problem before summer really comes.Good luck with all.

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
April 15 2007, 10:15 PM

Strengthening the connective tissue from the inside can help get rid of cellulite, a hair nail skin supplement or simple silica can help do that, it takes a while to work though, so you would have to be patient and keep on taking it for a good few months.

I got cellulite from the SP too, and nearly a year later I still have some signs of it, even though I have lost a lot of weight and am skinny now. I did exercise while taking the SP too and that didn't help either, it just isn't a good herb in that department.

Lisa
(Login lilmama40)
April 17 2007, 4:25 PM

Don't forget that it's been said that you don't have to take as high a dosage with nettle root as you do with saw palmetto, so perhaps if you're over-doing it you're not having good results with it as can happen with the other herbs if you're on doses that are too high for your particular system.

Liz
(Login Liz1967)
April 18 2007, 12:48 PM

Please tell me more about hair nail skin supplement or simple silica. I'm taking collagen but still didnt work for cellulute. I have a massagecrem too, but I wish to now more about silica or hair suplment that helps.

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
April 18 2007, 1:04 PM

Silica strengthens the connective tissue, therefore helping to keep the fat pockets that cause cellulite at bay. Skin, hair and nail supplements generally contain silica in one form or another so they would do the trick too, or have other connective tissue strengthening properties that act the same.
Just go to a health food or normal drug store, you will be able to buy it there, or just purchase something online.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon