Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Nettle vs. Saw Palmetto

Nettle VS Saw Palmetto
June 28 2006 at 6:07 AM
Ada (Login pinktatsu)
EVE MEMBERS
Does nettle root has the same effects in the body as Saw palmetto? Does it helps with the estrogen? Sorry, but i've been reading the posts, but i cant understand all that, im taking fenugreek, fennel, borage oil, and wild yam, and i bought Saw palmetto, but i dont want to take it, because of my birth control , so i was thinking about the nettle root, so i would like to know if it has the same effects than saw palmetto.

Helen
(Login Helen_N)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Nettle VS Saw Palmetto
June 28 2006, 9:45 AM

Hi Ada Smile

I have read that, for girls with elevated testosterone levels needing DHT-blocking herbs like Saw Palmetto, other alternative herbs that are also appropriate include
stinging Nettle,
Licorice,
Pumpkin Seeds,
Pygeum.
Not sure how different they are in "strength", they do however have similar effect.

Best boobie wishes, Helen xx

wsdm
(Login wsdm)
Re: Nettle VS Saw Palmetto
June 28 2006, 3:30 PM

From what I have learned so far:

Saw Palmetto inhibits an enzyme from converting testosterone to DHT, thus forcing testosterone to convert to estrogen.

Nettle root blocks the binding of hormones such as estrogen to SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin).

Estrogen and SBHG bind together to trigger activity in their target cells.

Nettle root blocks the action of an enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen

Now as I mentioned before it is important for anyone starting NBE to have a hormone test. See where your levels are at.

If you have low estrogen levels it appears Saw Palmetto is good and nettle may not be so great.

If you have high estrogen levels Saw Palmetto is not so good and Nettle may be beneficial.

cool excerpt from http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-095c.shtml

"Nettle Root Extract Blocks DHT Binding to Prostate Cells
An extract from the nettle root called Urtica dioica has been used extensively in combination with saw palmetto or by itself as a drug to treat BPH. One study showed that after 8 weeks of treatment with 4 capsules of urtica extract, patients experienced an 82% improvement in disorders associated with prostate enlargement (Wolf 1980). Another study showed that those patients with prostate enlargement with Stage I-III hyperplasia (the abnormal multiplication of normal cells that can lead to prostate cancer) experienced an 86% improvement after 3 months of treatment with standardized urtica extract (Maar 1987).

After learning the results of these studies, researchers at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in New York conducted a study to discover the mechanism by which standardized urtica extract relieves the symptoms of BPH. In their published study, the St. Luke's scientists showed that urtica extract inhibits the binding of a testosterone-estrogen-related protein to its receptor site on prostate cell membranes (Hryb et al. 1995).

It is known that when the testosterone metabolite DHT binds to prostate cell membranes, the result is the overproliferation of prostate cells. If cell membrane receptors are blocked, then DHT cannot latch on to the cell. Urtica extract appears to work by preventing the binding of testosterone metabolites to membrane receptor sites on prostate cells.

Saw palmetto and U. dioica are approved drugs in Germany for the treatment of benign prostate enlargement. While urtica is relatively new to Americans, it has been safely and successfully used in Germany for more than a decade."

and http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/feb99-bph.html

"Farnsworth notes that, as explained above, SHBG increases with age and "can act like an additional androgen receptor [binding site for androgen]" in the prostate cell. He suggests that, when estrogen binds to SHBG in the cell membrane, a growth factor called IGF-I (insulin-like growth factor I) is synthesized, causing proliferation of epithelial cells in the prostate. This sets the stage for further proliferation when androgens activate binding sites for growth factors. In Farnsworth's language, "estrogen not only directs stromal proliferation and secretion, but also, through IGF-I, conditions the response of epithelium to androgen." Subsequent research suggests that IGF-II, which is less well understood than IGF-I, may also be involved. In addition to its possible role in BPH, recent research indicates that elevated IGF-I levels may be a key predictor of prostate cancer risk. IGF-I may also contribute to the age-related increase in SHBG.

Farnsworth likens the protein SHBG to a hormone, concluding: [SHBG's] newfound capability to evoke BPH and its possible involvement in the transformation of normal to cancer cells by oncogenes calls for increased efforts to understand and manage SHBG and estrogen secretion.

The researchers who discovered the alternative signalling pathway concur: "...antagonism [inhibition] of the pathway by which SHBG leads to the induction of androgen-responsive genes may be a valuable therapeutic target for the treatment or prevention of BPH or prostate cancer."

Accordingly, these researchers studied an agent thought to inhibit the binding of SHBG to the prostate cell membrane, an extract of the root of the stinging nettle plant, Urtica dioica. In a paper published in 1995 in Planta Medica, they demonstrated that nettle root does indeed inhibit the binding of SHBG to the cell membrane.

In a subsequent series of articles, German researchers have identified a constituent of nettle root known as (-)-3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran whose very high binding affinity to SHBG they describe as "remarkable." These researchers suggest that the beneficial effects of plant lignans (such as found in flaxseed oil) on hormone-dependent cancers may be linked to their binding affinity to SHBG. The most potent known lignans in this respect are constituents of nettle root.

Studies show that the ethanolic extract of nettle root is not in inhibiting SHBG binding, while the aqueous and methanolic extracts are.

In addition to inhibiting SHBG binding, at least six constituents of nettle root inhibit aromatase, reducing conversion of androgens to estrogens. Combining nettle root with pygeum results in a stronger, synergistic inhibition. The studies on aromatase inhibition by nettle root used methanolic extracts.

A recent experimental study provides a dramatic demonstration of nettle root's effect on BPH tissue. This experiment was based upon the hypothesis that BPH is comparable to a reawakening of embryonic growth potential in the prostate. A fetal urogenital sinus was implanted into a lobe of the prostate gland in adult mice. After 28 days, the implanted lobes of mice fed a nettle root methanolic extract similar to an extract on the German pharmaceutical market showed 51.3% less growth than the lobes of mice in the control group."

Saw Palmetto Vs Nettle
March 3 2007 at 3:13 PM
Myjourney (Login Myjourney)
Well I dropped the saw palmetto in favor of Nettle root, and now seem to not have growing pains.
Stink! I have also "dropped" some weight since leaving the SP behind, but the Nettle Root doesn't seem to be working as well...Has anyone had this problem? Should I up my dosage of the Nettle? Perhaps it isn't as strong???

Lisa121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Saw Palmetto Vs Nettle
March 3 2007, 3:41 PM

How much Nettle root are you taking? With me the nettle has worked as well as the SP, and actually at lower dosages than the SP as well.
I am taking 1000 mg a day, and I am androgen dominant, so you should really not need to take more than that yourself. If you aren't taking that much yet, you can try and up your dose.
Also, how long have you been taking it for? It may just take a while in your system.

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
Just got my bottle for amounts
March 3 2007, 3:50 PM

I am taking 4 pills 2times a day...at 250mg each. so 2000 mg

Lisa121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Saw Palmetto Vs Nettle
March 3 2007, 4:39 PM

I would definitely ramp down on that to see if that makes a difference, you may just be overdosing. Anything between 400-1000 mg should really be enough. I would go down to 750 mg if I was you and see how that goes.

Nettle root - yes or no
March 21 2007 at 2:55 PM Liz (Login Liz1967)
Please girls be pacient with me because I dont understand very well english and now i'm very confused about taking nettle root.
I was on Sp and because of weight (a lot on my legs...) but now read some posts here and i'm confused because some people says it is not good for NBE.
Can anyone help me?
Anyone with nettle on routine did had sucess?

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: Nettle root - yes or no
March 21 2007, 5:40 PM

I've read from several girls that nettle worked for them better than SP. And like I said in the other nettle thread - very little about NBE makes sense, but apparently it works. I will take nettle when I start my routine.

Liz
(Login Liz1967)
March 22 2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks Moon i'll trie Netlle.
In the botlle says one capsule two or tree times per day. Each capsule has 500mg. So what do you think: 100 mg or 1500 mg per day?

Lisa121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
March 22 2007, 7:22 PM

Nettle root has worked well for me, I have taken it since last summer and grew on it as well if not better than on the SP, certainly on lower dosages.
Start off with 500mg and if you need more ramp up to 1000mg but you really shouldn't need more than that.

nettle root increases free testosterone?
March 20 2007 at 8:26 PM dunny (Login lil_dunny)
Nettle Root Extract

About 90% of testosterone is produced by the testes, the remainder by the adrenal glands. Testosterone functions as an aphrodisiac hormone in brains cells, and as an anabolic hormone in the development of bone and skeletal muscle. But testosterone that becomes bound to serum globulin is not available to cell receptor sites and fails to induce a libido effect. It is, therefore, desirable to increase levels of "free testosterone" in order to ignite sexual arousal in the brain.

A hormone that controls levels of free testosterone is called sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). When testosterone binds to SHBG, it loses its biological activity and becomes known as "bound testosterone," as opposed to the desirable "free testosterone." As men age past year 45, SHBG's binding capacity increases almost dramatically-by 40% on average-and coincides with the age-associated loss of libido.

Some studies show that the decline in sexual interest with advancing age is not always due to the amount of testosterone produced, but rather to the increased binding of testosterone to globulin by SHBG. This explains why some older men who are on testosterone replacement therapy do not report a long-term aphrodisiac effect. That is, the artificially administered testosterone becomes bound by SHBG, and is not bioavailable to cellular receptor sites where it would normally produce a libido-enhancing effect.

It should be noted that the liver also causes testosterone to bind to globulin. This liver-induced binding of testosterone is worsened by the use of sedatives, anti-hypertensives, tranquilizers and alcoholic beverages. The overuse of drugs and alcohol could explain why some men do not experience a libido-enhancing effect when consuming drugs and plant-based aphrodisiacs. An interesting review, "How Desire Dies" (Nature, 381/6584, 1996), discusses how frequently prescribed drugs, such as beta-blockers and antidepressants, cause sexual dysfunction. Prescription drugs of all sorts have been linked to inhibition of libido.

Logically, one way of increasing libido in older men would be to block the testosterone-binding effects of SHBG. This would leave more testosterone in its free, sexually activating form.

A highly concentrated extract from the nettle root provides a unique mechanism for increasing levels of free testosterone. Recent European research has identified constituents of nettle root that bind to SHBG in place of testosterone, thus reducing SHBG's binding of free testosterone. As the authors of one study state, these constituents of nettle root "may influence the blood level of free, i.e. active, steroid hormones by displacing them from the SHBG bindings site."

The prostate gland also benefits from nettle root. In Germany, nettle root has been used as a treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlargement of the prostate gland) for decades. A metabolite of testosterone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) stimulates prostate growth, leading to enlargement. Nettle root inhibits the binding of DHT to attachment sites on the prostate membrane.

Nettle extracts also inhibit enzymes such as 5 alpha reductase that cause testosterone to convert to DHT. It is the DHT metabolite of testosterone that is known to cause benign prostate enlargement, excess facial hair and hair loss at the top of the head.

http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/chrysin.htm

dunny
(Login lil_dunny)
Re: nettle root increases free testosterone?
March 21 2007, 5:04 AM

BPH
The Other Side of the Coin

BPH isn't just a matter of testosterone...new research reveals the role of estrogen and what you can do about it.

A surprising new discovery explains why so many men now contract prostate disease. Most doctors think testosterone is the culprit, but scientists have exposed serious flaws in this theory. Now you can be the first to learn the most advanced method of preventing and treating prostate enlargement.

According to the conventional view, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) develops when an active form of testosterone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) stimulates cell growth. Testosterone is converted to DHT systemically as well as within the prostate by an enzyme known as 5-alpha-reductase. DHT is far more active than testosterone in binding to sites in prostate cells that regulate prostate growth. When DHT binds to these sites, it activates growth factors that stimulate cell proliferation. Commonly used medications for BPH, such as saw palmetto and the drug finasteride, inhibit 5-alpha-reductase in order to reduce DHT-stimulated growth in the prostate.

While it is hardly surprising that prostate growth is under hormonal control, the above view of BPH is difficult to explain when we consider the effects of aging. BPH is after all a disease of aging, and testosterone production declines with age. Moreover, levels of free, physiologically active testosterone decline more sharply due to increased testosterone binding by a protein called sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). It is estimated that levels of free testosterone decline by about 1% per year from age forty to age seventy.

So, if testosterone production declines with age, could there be another mechanism contributing to prostate enlargement? The surprising answer may be the growing imbalance in aging men between their levels of estrogen and testosterone.

While levels estrogen appear to be relatively stable in the aging male, the level of free testosterone precipitously declines. Thus with age, an imbalance develops between estrogens and androgens (female and male hormones). Compared to younger men, the ratio of free estradiol (the most potent form of estrogen) to free testosterone is up to 40% higher in older men.

In the prostate itself, the contrast between rising estrogens and declining androgens is more sharply drawn. In the stroma of the prostate, the supporting tissue where BPH is thought to develop, estrogen levels increase significantly with age, while DHT levels remain stable. Estrogen levels in the stroma rise to even higher levels in BPH patients. In the epithelium of the prostate, DHT levels decline with age, while estrogen levels remain stable. German researchers who have been studying this for more than fifteen years describe "a tremendous increase with age of the estrogen/ androgen ratio in the human prostate." Their article in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism concludes:

"Our results indicate that the prostatic accumulation of DHT, estradiol, and estrone is in part intimately correlated with aging, leading with increasing age to a dramatic increase of the estrogen/androgen ratio particularly in stroma of BPH."

A study published in the journal Prostate bears out the concept of an elevated serum estrogen/androgen ratio as a risk factor for BPH. Analyzing frozen blood samples collected in the course of a large-scale health study, the researchers found that BPH risk increased with higher estradiol levels, and that the risk was concentrated in men with relatively low androgen levels.

A Japanese study came to a similar conclusion, finding that prostate size correlates with estradiol level and with the ratio of estradiol to free testosterone. They suggest that "the endocrine environment tended to be estrogen-dominant with age, in particular, after middle-age, and that patients with large prostates have more estrogen-dominant environments," concluding "estrogens are key hormones for the induction and the development of BPH."

Experimental attempts to induce BPH with hormones would answer many questions, but obviously cannot be carried out in humans. The only animals known to develop BPH with age are dogs and lions. In experiments with dogs it has been established than BPH cannot be induced without estrogen, however it should be noted that endocrine regulation and prostate structure are quite different in dog and man.

In men and postmenopausal women, most estrogens are produced from androgens; specifically, most estradiol is produced from testosterone. This conversion of androgens to estrogens is called aromatization, after the enzyme aromatase. In addition to receiving estrogen circulating through the bloodstream, the stroma of the prostate produces its own estrogen through aromatization.

It has long been suspected that estrogen - especially the estrogen/ androgen imbalance associated with aging - plays a role in BPH, but until recent years no direct effect of estrogen on the prostate could be demonstrated. A key piece of this puzzle has now been supplied by a group of researchers at Columbia University, St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital in New York, and the pharmaceutical company Merck. In a groundbreaking series of research papers culminating in articles published this past year in the journals Endocrinology and Steroids, they demonstrate the existence of a second hormonal pathway in the prostate whereby estrogens can mimic androgens.

It may help to understand this breakthrough by thinking of hormones as chemical messengers. When a hormone attaches to its special binding site in a cell, it sends a signal to that cell. In the case of BPH, androgens signal cells to proliferate, causing prostate growth. These researchers have shown that messages sent to prostate cells by androgens can also be sent, along an alternative signalling pathway, by estrogens. Even more surprisingly, the estrogens send this signal not by attaching to the usual cellular binding sites for estrogen, but instead to the sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) that is already bound to the cell membrane. As the authors put it, they have shown that in the prostate, estradiol is "capable of activating pathways normally considered androgen responsive."

In a review article published in the journal Prostate in 1996, a pioneer of modern prostate research proposed a new model of prostate physiology and pathogenesis based in part upon this research. Wells Farnsworth, Professor of Urology at the Northwestern University Medical School, discovered the conversion of testosterone to DHT in the prostate in the early 60s. In his article in Prostate, Professor Farnsworth proposes that "estrogen, mediated by SHBG, participates with androgen in setting the pace of prostate growth and function."

Farnsworth notes that, as explained above, SHBG increases with age and "can act like an additional androgen receptor [binding site for androgen]" in the prostate cell. He suggests that, when estrogen binds to SHBG in the cell membrane, a growth factor called IGF-I (insulin-like growth factor I) is synthesized, causing proliferation of epithelial cells in the prostate. This sets the stage for further proliferation when androgens activate binding sites for growth factors. In Farnsworth's language, "estrogen not only directs stromal proliferation and secretion, but also, through IGF-I, conditions the response of epithelium to androgen." Subsequent research suggests that IGF-II, which is less well understood than IGF-I, may also be involved. In addition to its possible role in BPH, recent research indicates that elevated IGF-I levels may be a key predictor of prostate cancer risk. IGF-I may also contribute to the age-related increase in SHBG.

Farnsworth likens the protein SHBG to a hormone, concluding: [SHBG's] newfound capability to evoke BPH and its possible involvement in the transformation of normal to cancer cells by oncogenes calls for increased efforts to understand and manage SHBG and estrogen secretion.

The researchers who discovered the alternative signalling pathway concur: "...antagonism [inhibition] of the pathway by which SHBG leads to the induction of androgen-responsive genes may be a valuable therapeutic target for the treatment or prevention of BPH or prostate cancer."

Accordingly, these researchers studied an agent thought to inhibit the binding of SHBG to the prostate cell membrane, an extract of the root of the stinging nettle plant, Urtica dioica. In a paper published in 1995 in Planta Medica, they demonstrated that nettle root does indeed inhibit the binding of SHBG to the cell membrane.

In a subsequent series of articles, German researchers have identified a constituent of nettle root known as (-)-3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran whose very high binding affinity to SHBG they describe as "remarkable." These researchers suggest that the beneficial effects of plant lignans (such as found in flaxseed oil) on hormone-dependent cancers may be linked to their binding affinity to SHBG. The most potent known lignans in this respect are constituents of nettle root.

Studies show that the ethanolic extract of nettle root is not in inhibiting SHBG binding, while the aqueous and methanolic extracts are.

In addition to inhibiting SHBG binding, at least six constituents of nettle root inhibit aromatase, reducing conversion of androgens to estrogens. Combining nettle root with pygeum results in a stronger, synergistic inhibition. The studies on aromatase inhibition by nettle root used methanolic extracts.

A recent experimental study provides a dramatic demonstration of nettle root's effect on BPH tissue. This experiment was based upon the hypothesis that BPH is comparable to a reawakening of embryonic growth potential in the prostate. A fetal urogenital sinus was implanted into a lobe of the prostate gland in adult mice. After 28 days, the implanted lobes of mice fed a nettle root methanolic extract similar to an extract on the German pharmaceutical market showed 51.3% less growth than the lobes of mice in the control group.

Nettle root is widely used as a first-line therapy for BPH in Germany, where there are 15 pharmaceutical drugs consisting solely of nettle root. Nettle root has been extensively studied in European clinical trials over the past twenty years. Good study design is essential in evaluating BPH therapies, since sizable placebo effects are normal in BPH studies.

A well designed double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of nettle root was published in the German urological journal Urologe in 1996. This three month study involved 41 BPH patients with maximum urinary flow under 15 ml/sec. and an average score of 18.2 on the IPSS (International Prostate Symptom Score) scale. An IPSS score of 0-7 is considered as slightly symptomatic, 8-19 as moderately symptomatic, and 20-35 as highly symptomatic.

By the end of the trial, maximum urinary flow increased by an average of 66.1% (from 10.9 to 18.1 ml/sec.) in the group treated with nettle root, compared to 36.6% (from 12.3 to 16.8 ml/sec.) in the placebo group. Average IPSS scores dropped twice as much in the nettle root group (from 18.2 to 8.7) as in the placebo group (from 17.7 to 12.9). By comparison, trials of the standard BPH drug finasteride (Proscar) show more modest improvements relative to placebo. Again, this study used the methanolic nettle extract.

Eight previous trials of nettle root showed beneficial effects on a total of approximately 15,000 BPH patients. These trials used daily doses of nettle extract ranging from 600-1200 mg and lasted from 3 weeks to 180 days.

In Europe nettle root is also used in combination with saw palmetto. This combination is a logical one since nettle root acts through the alternative signalling pathway in the prostate cell, while saw palmetto acts on the primary signalling pathway by limiting DHT activity. In effect, nettle root addresses the estrogen side of BPH, while saw palmetto addresses the androgen side. Additionally, both herbs have anti-inflammatory actions.

Since 1995, three clinical studies of a standard saw palmetto/nettle combination have been published in German medical journals. The studies used two capsules per day of 160 mg saw palmetto extract plus 120 mg nettle root extract.

A randomized double-blind study compared the saw palmetto/nettle combination to the standard BPH drug finasteride in 543 patients suffering from BPH stages I to II. The herbal therapy and drug therapy proved similarly effective in all measures: urinary flow rate, urination time, IPSS scores, and patients' quality of life assessments. Both therapies increased in effectiveness over a period of months. For example, the average IPSS score in the herbal therapy group declined from 11.3 to 8.2 after 24 weeks and 6.5 after 48 weeks; in the finasteride group it declined from 11.8 to 8.0 after 24 weeks and 6.2 after 48 weeks. Patients tolerated herbal therapy better than finasteride which causes diminished libido and sexual dysfunctions including impotence in some patients.

Another placebo-controlled study used a crossover design. Forty patients with BPH stage I or II and urinary flow below 20 ml/sec. received either saw palmetto/nettle or placebo for 24 weeks. Patients receiving the herbal combination showed significant improvement in maximum urine flow rate (3.3 ml/sec.) compared to placebo, and there were similar improvements in average flow rate, total urination volume, urination time, and flow increase time. The was also a significant improvement on the American Urological Association symptom score compared to placebo. In the crossover phase of the trial, patients who had been on placebo for 24 weeks were switched to the herbal combination for another 24 weeks. These patients showed similar positive results.

A large observational study involving 419 urology practices followed 2,030 patients with mild to moderate BPH. All patients received saw palmetto/nettle for 12 weeks. This study found the following average improvements: maximum urinary flow increased 25.8%, average urinary flow increased 29.0%, residual urine decreased 44.7%, nocturia declined 50.4%, dysuria declined 62.5%, and post-urination dribbling declined 53.6%. 86% of patients reported symptom improvement. Fewer than 1% of the patients reported side effects, and these were mild.

Thus far, there have been no clinical trials of a saw palmetto/nettle/ pygeum combination. As mentioned above, nettle root and pygeum synergize in inhibiting aromatase. In addition, these three herbs affect growth factors in ways that appear to be beneficial in the prevention and treatment of BPH. According to a 1997 article in the Journal of Urology, pygeum inhibits cell proliferation induced by the growth factors EGF (epidermal growth factor), bFGF (basic fibroblast growth factor), and IGF-I (insulin-like growth factor I) in stromal cells from rat prostate. A 1998 study in European Urology found that saw palmetto inhibits bFGF-stimulated cell proliferation in human prostate cell cultures. Preliminary research suggests that a constituent of nettle root inhibits the binding of EGF to human prostate cells.

As is the case for many medicinal herbs, the clinical efficacy of nettle root was demonstrated at a time when medical science had not yet made the basic advances needed to understand its mechanism of action. This may be one reason that nettle root is relatively unknown in America whereas saw palmetto, with its relatively clearcut mechanism of action based upon testosterone, is in common use. As was the case for saw palmetto, it will probably take years for the pharmaceutical companies to develop a synthetic drug to effectively address the mechanism of action of nettle root. Both of these extraordinarily well tolerated herbal extracts are available now to BPH sufferers.

The Life Extension Foundation has expended significant resources to develop a better understanding of prostate cell proliferation and how to control it. The immediate benefit to members is that all of the prostate products offered by the Life Extension Buyers Club have been re-formulated to reflect these new findings.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/feb99-bph.html

dunny
(Login lil_dunny)
March 21 2007, 5:24 AM

(needless to say i've taken nettle root out of my routine)

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 21 2007, 10:19 AM

It may be an idea to post this in the info section too.

x

MyJourney
(Login Myjourney)
Help??
March 21 2007, 3:01 PM

Ok, Little Dunny,

What does this all mean in plain English...I got lost...

dunny
(Login lil_dunny)
March 21 2007, 5:23 PM

basically, that prostate enlarges due to decreasing free testosterone... in the presence of same amount of estrogen in the aging males. nettle root, it says, inhibits aromatization, or the conversion of testosterone into estrogen (though i didn't quite get the binding bit).

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
March 21 2007, 5:38 PM

Ok, here's my two cents: Over this past year or so that I've been into NBE, I have learnt one most important thing - don't try to apply theory in practice! You study the theory, it appears one thing, but the truth is that this stuff is just so d*amn complicated, that what's actually going on in the body is the exact opposite by some unestablished and ununderstood mechanism. I'm a student of medicine and still don't frickin get it. It appears that nettle and SP inhibit estrogen, but empyrical evidence shows us that this works. And I also think that nettle may work in men entirely differently than it woman. The thing is - we can't explain!
Now just think about this - the whole NBE principle is based on something that doesn't make sense - phytoestrogens are weaker than our own hormones and they compete with our hormones on the receptors and they cause growth. It doesn't make sense, but it works. I have come to think that empyrical evidence is in NBE a lot more useful than theoretical. So I won't try to explain anymore, I will do that which appears to be working. I have nettle prepared for my routine when I start and I will take it.

Lisa121
(no login)
I found this on SP and Nettle
March 22 2007, 8:42 PM

SAW PALMETTO
June 26 2006 at 4:39 PM HongKongGirl (Login HongKongGirl)
Hi

I am from Hong Kong and new to this forum. Today, I went to GNC and found that SAW PALMETTO is for men only. Would smart girls here mind telling me why SAW PALMETTO used for NBE? Can i take Wonderup accompany with SAW PALMETTO?

Thanks a lot!

Smile

Helen
(Login Helen_N)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: SAW PALMETTO
June 26 2006, 5:25 PM

Hi HongKongGirl Smile

Yes you are right, herbs that can prevent testosterone from converting into DHT (a very potent version of testosterone) are MOST COMMONLY used by men to treat an enlarged prostate (a side effect of too much DHT).
Now for us women, excess amounts of DHT sabotage estrogen (they suppress estrogen activity and inhibit conversion of testosterone into estrogen). So for girls with elevated testosterone levels, DHT-blocking herbs like Saw Palmetto are an essential ingredient for breast enlargement. Other herbs with similar effect include Nettle, Licorice, Pumpkin Seeds, and Pygeum.

If you want to read more on Saw Palmetto and its properties, I suggest you go to "Other resources", then under "Related Information", click on "Information on Herbs", find a thread called: "ALL ABOUT SAW PALMETTO".

Hope this helps Smile

Best boobie wishes,
Helen xx

Lisa121
(no login)
and this on Nettle vs SP
March 22 2007, 8:47 PM

sdm
(Login wsdm) Re: Nettle VS Saw Palmetto June 28 2006, 3:30 PM

From what I have learned so far:

Saw Palmetto inhibits an enzyme from converting testosterone to DHT, thus forcing testosterone to convert to estrogen.

Nettle root blocks the binding of hormones such as estrogen to SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin).

Estrogen and SBHG bind together to trigger activity in their target cells.

Nettle root blocks the action of an enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen

Now as I mentioned before it is important for anyone starting NBE to have a hormone test. See where your levels are at.

If you have low estrogen levels it appears Saw Palmetto is good and nettle may not be so great.

If you have high estrogen levels Saw Palmetto is not so good and Nettle may be beneficial.

cool excerpt from http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-095c.shtml

"Nettle Root Extract Blocks DHT Binding to Prostate Cells
An extract from the nettle root called Urtica dioica has been used extensively in combination with saw palmetto or by itself as a drug to treat BPH. One study showed that after 8 weeks of treatment with 4 capsules of urtica extract, patients experienced an 82% improvement in disorders associated with prostate enlargement (Wolf 1980). Another study showed that those patients with prostate enlargement with Stage I-III hyperplasia (the abnormal multiplication of normal cells that can lead to prostate cancer) experienced an 86% improvement after 3 months of treatment with standardized urtica extract (Maar 1987).

After learning the results of these studies, researchers at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in New York conducted a study to discover the mechanism by which standardized urtica extract relieves the symptoms of BPH. In their published study, the St. Luke's scientists showed that urtica extract inhibits the binding of a testosterone-estrogen-related protein to its receptor site on prostate cell membranes (Hryb et al. 1995).

It is known that when the testosterone metabolite DHT binds to prostate cell membranes, the result is the overproliferation of prostate cells. If cell membrane receptors are blocked, then DHT cannot latch on to the cell. Urtica extract appears to work by preventing the binding of testosterone metabolites to membrane receptor sites on prostate cells.

Saw palmetto and U. dioica are approved drugs in Germany for the treatment of benign prostate enlargement. While urtica is relatively new to Americans, it has been safely and successfully used in Germany for more than a decade."

and http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/feb99-bph.html

"Farnsworth notes that, as explained above, SHBG increases with age and "can act like an additional androgen receptor [binding site for androgen]" in the prostate cell. He suggests that, when estrogen binds to SHBG in the cell membrane, a growth factor called IGF-I (insulin-like growth factor I) is synthesized, causing proliferation of epithelial cells in the prostate. This sets the stage for further proliferation when androgens activate binding sites for growth factors. In Farnsworth's language, "estrogen not only directs stromal proliferation and secretion, but also, through IGF-I, conditions the response of epithelium to androgen." Subsequent research suggests that IGF-II, which is less well understood than IGF-I, may also be involved. In addition to its possible role in BPH, recent research indicates that elevated IGF-I levels may be a key predictor of prostate cancer risk. IGF-I may also contribute to the age-related increase in SHBG.

A recent experimental study provides a dramatic demonstration of nettle root's effect on BPH tissue. This experiment was based upon the hypothesis that BPH is comparable to a reawakening of embryonic growth potential in the prostate. A fetal urogenital sinus was implanted into a lobe of the prostate gland in adult mice. After 28 days, the implanted lobes of mice fed a nettle root methanolic extract similar to an extract on the German pharmaceutical market showed 51.3% less growth than the lobes of mice in the control group."

Nettle root in place of saw palmetto?
March 13 2007 at 10:15 AM Anonymous (Login Kiran07)
Is it possible to take nettle root int he place of saw palmetto, with the nettle root carry out the same functions and have the same effect? Because im sure im putting on weight with the saw palmetto and I've read a number of articles where they state saw palmetto promoted weight gain:

"Native Americans ate the berries of the saw palmetto believing they served as a tonic that nourished the body, stimulated appetite, and promoted weight gain." - http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/conten...tearea=ETO

Please help! Thanks Smile x

Liz
(Login Liz1967)
Re: Nettle root in place of saw palmetto?
March 13 2007, 11:30 AM

i'm also putting on weight and believe it was because of fenugreek but now i think maybe it is the saw palmetto.

Lisa121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
March 13 2007, 12:45 PM

Yes, you can take the Nettle root in place of the SP, I have done so, and successfully, since last June. I have not gained any weight on the Nettle root and I did on the SP like you too.
You only need to take between 500 mg - 1000 mg of Nettle root to have the same effect as the SP, if your androgen levels are normal 500 mg a day should be enough.
You can buy Nettle root at Vortexhealth.net, that is where I usually get mine from, most other stores just sell the leafs.
Ultimately you will have to try for your self, everyone is different but with me the Nettle root has been way more effective than the SP was in controlling my elevated androgen levels.

so_lost
(Login so_lost)
March 13 2007, 9:41 PM

hi there,

can any of you tell me what nettle is good for? I just started taking wu.

Betty
(Login so_lost)
March 17 2007, 8:19 PM

It's an anti-androgen. You can also use spearmint I believe and licorice,
pumpkin seed, pygeum as well.

Question to Lisa and anyone using : NETTLE ROOT
September 18 2006 at 6:53 PM
Ada (Login pinktatsu)
EVE MEMBERS
hELLO Everyone, hi Lisa, have you seen any results using nettle root in stead of SP?

tms81
(Login tms81)
Re: "Question to Lisa and anyone using : NETTLE ROOT"
September 18 2006, 6:56 PM

i havent tried it but thinking of doing that switch to. dont want to gain weight. actually want to loose 6ponds. But i havent gained any on the saw palmetto yet

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
September 18 2006, 7:16 PM

have a question:

would nettle-tea work as well and if yes isn't it known for thickening blood and could that be dangerous in the long run?

i know nettle is good for blood and thus skin so i would be interested as well.

tms81
(Login tms81)
September 18 2006, 7:30 PM

you can drink the nettle tea, haven`t seen it in capsule form, i am thinking of doing that. a herbalist recommended me to take it, i got an allergic reaction to milk thistle and she said that i should try nettle insted because it was a gentle herb that cleaned the toxins out of the body. In almost all the nursing tea i have seen almost all of them contain nettle in one of them nettle was even the main ingredient.

tms81
(Login tms81)
September 18 2006, 7:40 PM

found some good information about nettle and other herbs
http://www.purplesage.org.uk/profiles/nettle.htm

Coffeegirl
(Login coffeegirl77)
September 19 2006, 4:26 AM

I am interested in the answer to this original question too!! I too am thinking of switching to Nettle, so I'd love to know of anyones experience... I'm impressed with all I have read about it's properties.

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
September 19 2006, 10:20 AM

Hi there, the nettle is working great for me, I started off with the extract but am now taking 480 mg of nettle root (no extract) twice a day and have been having pains all month, this has never happened to me before. I have changed my routine a bit altogether though so it may be connected to that as well, but the overall verdict is, nettle root works at least as well as SP, at least it has for me.

As for using Nettle leaf, as far as I know nettle root and nettle leaf do two different things and I am not sure if nettle leaf stops extra production of testosterone. I would google both nettle leaf and root and see what comes up on each, but they do have different health benefits from one another.

Lisa

Andrea
(Login Andrea)
EVE MEMBERS
September 19 2006, 12:44 PM

Don't forget it's not just a choice between saw palmetto and nettle. There are other anti-androgens.

Lisa, Coffeegirl, & anyone else on NETTLE ROOT
December 5 2006 at 11:12 PM
Anonymous (Login kittycatra)
Hello Ladies,

I just wanted to check in and find out how the Nettle root has been working out for you? Have you noticed a bigger boost since adding the herb?

Just curious, thanks.

Solitaire
(Login solitairian)
Re: Lisa, Coffeegirl, & anyone else on NETTLE ROOT
December 6 2006, 10:51 AM

I added Nettle root at the end of October and it seems to have helped and really made a difference.

Lisa
(no login)
December 6 2006, 1:28 PM

I believe the Nettle root helped me better than the SP, but because I soon after starting it added BCP as well I am not sure what is making the difference here.

joolS
(no login)
December 6 2006, 5:07 PM

Hey, Ive been on nettle root about 3/4 weeks now. Still a bit early to tell but I think it has helped a bit (Im on Wonderup too)... really interested to hear others experience too Smile

Anonymous
(no login)
December 6 2006, 11:16 PM

hi, i'm also on wonderup and thinking of adding nettle root at some point. Just wondering is you have noticed any weight gain?

Lisa
(no login)
December 7 2006, 11:58 AM

No, no weight gain from the Nettle root at all.

Gin
(Login kittycatra)
December 9 2006, 12:16 AM

Since starting the BCP and Nettle root combination, you don't think it's interfered with your BC in anyway right? Or else you'd be pregnant I guess =)

Betty
(no login)
December 14 2006, 8:23 PM

Spearmint tea shouldn't be overlooked as an option for anti-androgen effects, and peppermint tea too I think.

question on SAW PALMETTO VS. NETTLE ROOT???Pls helpSmile
December 21 2006 at 7:06 PM chiquita83 (Login chiquita83)
since im new to all this i cant begin to thank all of you enough for this wonderful forum...its been a major help in figuring out how to begin my own program...only thing is im still a bit confused about the difference between SP and NR....i do know from threads that SP causes an increased appetite leading to weight gain...but what are the effects of NR...do they even have the same effects on NBE??? i know its kind of a more than one answer question but id appreciate any info anyone can give through their own experience. Im still trying to decide which to get....i have just purchased vitex extract,ultra omega(flax/borage/fish oil), and whey protein mix to start off...i think ill start my first week with those but i might add some cayyene-garlic for circulation(thx to recent posts i want to make sure i create the best environment for growth)...so for the next week i will decide what to add week per week...i want to increase herbs gradually as to prevent stalling or a shock to my system since ive never been on herbs...sorry i got a bit off track but any info would be greatly appreciated....oh yah sorry one more thing do you recommend doing a liver cleanse as well and should i do that before taking any herbs or can i do it as im starting off???thx again...best of luck to all and i will definitely keep you all posted on any progress id love to help others out as all of you have helped me! a million thanksSmile happy holidays to all...!

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
cant answer much on herbs
December 21 2006, 7:32 PM

as for the liver cleanse, though, have you taken a lot of perscription meds in your life? if so, a liver cleanse would be a good idea. either way, it cant hurt, though you can do a pretty simple one or just milk thistle or something because you havent been on herbs before. perscription meds mess with your liver too though...

hugs to you! wish i could answer more of your questions, but im not too good at the herbs thing...

chiquita83
(Login chiquita83)
thx emmie
December 21 2006, 9:06 PM

thanks for your inputSmile i think i might do a minor liver cleanse i really havent ever taken antibiotics in my life but i am on the ortho-evra BC patch....does that really matter???or count???

i will definitely look into it and see which one might work better for me...thx again!

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
liver and bcp
December 22 2006, 4:28 PM

i would think that the liver cleanse would be good particularly if you have been on birth control for awhile, as that affects your hormones, introduces chemicals to your body, etc etc that could interfere... it might be good then to clean out the ol' liver before starting out.

good luck to you!!

chiquita83
(Login chiquita83)
thx emmieSmile
December 22 2006, 6:12 PM

your probably right....and even if i didnt need it its not like it would hurt to do it anywaySmile so today im going to go buy a kit and most likely start tonight or tomorrow. once im done then i will begin to take my herbs. im so excited not only for having better boobies but also for better health! i have decided im gonna go with SP and see how it goes. ill keep everyone posted on my program...hope i have success like others here.do you take herbs at all???what is your program based on???thanks for all your help!

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: question on SAW PALMETTO VS. NETTLE ROOT???Pls helpSmile
December 22 2006, 7:10 PM

SP doesn't as a rule cause waight gain, only in rare cases. Nettle is used for the same action as SP - anti-androgenic. Some members have reported to have a lot more sucess with nettle. I think that if you try SP and your routine doesn't work, it's sensible to try switching on nettle for a while, and the other way arround. It's not necessary to do a live cleanse before your routine, but after several months on NBE it's very advisable. I actually tend to do a small liver cleanse while on NBE every once in a while.

chiquita83
(Login chiquita83)
thx moonSmile
December 22 2006, 7:29 PM

i think i will try SP first and see how it goes for me...how long do you think i should give it before considering switching to nettle???

TwinkieStar
(no login)
Saw Palmetto for men??
December 22 2006, 10:27 PM

I noticed that SP seemed to be a key ingredient for growth, so yesterday I was about to buy some. But then I noticed that the label promoted the fact that it fights prostate cancer. Then on the back, it said it was meant for men. Is it still safe for us women to be taking it?

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: question on SAW PALMETTO VS. NETTLE ROOT???Pls helpSmile
December 23 2006, 11:10 AM

@Chiquita - You would probably need to give it at least 3 months, because if the routine won't work, you also won't be able to know for sure which herb wasn't the right one, SP or some other, or if it wasn't even some other factor. If you do lots of trials and change only one herb/factor and notice a difference, then you can attribute the difference to the change accurately, but as you are making los of changes when starting - all the new herbs, you won't be able to know for sure, so it will probably take a few trials. We all do NBE by starting with the most reasonable popular combination and then add some, remove some herbs and see what it does.

@TwinkieStar - SP has been used effectively for prostate problems for a long time, but that doesn't mean it's only for men. I mean look arround, pretty much all women on this board are taking it. NBE is a very unknown thing and it happens repeatedly that a woman doing NBE walks into a specialized store to buy herbs and the sale person stares at her astonished and says SP is only for men and fenugreek is only for women in menopuse.

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
hey chiquita
December 23 2006, 5:58 PM

just saw your questions...

i am on a bo routine, not an herbs routine, though i do take some to help boost my boobies... i take saw palmetto and barley, and borage oil and royal jelly and flax seed oil and vitamin e and am i forgetting any? sigh... im just a pill-popping fiend! my program is on the program page, but it is a bo routine so it isnt too much help for those on herbs...

big hugs, everyone...

TwinkieStar
(no login)
thanks
December 23 2006, 6:06 PM

Thanks Moon for the clarification!

saw palmetto alternative???
January 31 2007 at 4:22 AM littlemadison (Login littlemadison)
Just wondering if there is an alternative to SP? Was it nettle? I did a search but couldn't find anything. I just need some backup incase this is what's bothering me. Sorry if this was just recently discussed.

x madison

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: saw palmetto alternative???
January 31 2007, 9:20 AM

Yep, it's nettle. But eventhough it has the same actionas SP (supposedly), it has been observed that some women grew better on it than on SP. But it may be the other way arround for others.

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
January 31 2007, 9:34 AM

Thanks for your reply. One more question. Are there different types of Nettle (stinging nettle etc) or are they all the same?

x madison

Leigh
(Login 1628)
January 31 2007, 9:43 AM

Hi littlemadison!

I don't know whether there are different types of nettle but Snowflake told me that Stinging Nettle was a good stand in for SP. Hope it helps, good luck!

Leigh

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
January 31 2007, 9:48 AM

Thanks Leigh!

x madison

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Stinging nettle,,
January 31 2007, 11:40 AM

has as much power as Saw Palmetto,, and I don't think you have the weight gain. Some ldies here have perferred SN over Sp.

Lisa121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
January 31 2007, 2:42 PM

You need to take stinging nettle root, the leafs don't have the same properties as the root. They are good for cleansing the blood and other things, but it is the root that effects androgen levels.

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
January 31 2007, 7:58 PM

Haha wow okay. I hope I can find this. Stinging Nettle Root. I am taking a break from SP to see if that is what's bothering my Crohn's. I will be ordering all my herbs on Feb. 6th (if I'm correct, it's buy one get one free with all the herbs?) from Vitamin World. Then I will start on SNR very slowly.... and I hope it works! Does anyone know how long it takes to kick in?

Thank you everyone who is helping me out! I greatly appreciate it!

x madison

Saw Palmetto Yes or No?
November 8 2007 at 5:46 PM Penny (Login Pen1980)
Who recommends taking Saw Palmetto?

I am on WU at the moment and wondered if I should add this because on the program pages a few girls have and got great results (I know eveyone is different though.) WU doesn't contain SP but Naturesday has and its meant to be good for promoting growth in small, undeveloped breasts.

My main concern is that I am on BCP and have read that this can effect it?

Help, don't know whether to add SP to my program - my page is called Pens Program Page.

Is Nettle an alternative to SP?

Appreciate advice for a newbie.

Many Thanks,
Penny x x

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
Re: Saw Palmetto Yes or No?
November 8 2007, 6:09 PM

I've been wondering about this too. I've been scared off by the stories of unshiftable weight gain and cellulite so keeping it as a last resort. I'm on BCP too and have seen somewhere that they react. Are you thinking of taking SP for androgen symptoms? If so you could switch BCP to Yasmin or Yaz (same stuff but weaker) or try stinging nettle root instead. I'd see how you go with Wonderup for maybe 3-6 months before you add anything as it may not be necessary and you'd be risking an ugly lower body. The most successful people on here - Eve, Tigerlily, Fenhshui, Shell, Chelle Choi and a couple of girls on WU whose names I forgot, none of them used SP so if you're in good health and your hormones are normal to start then hopefully you won't need it. If you have androgen symptoms like acne, facial / body hair, PMS, bad period pain then get a hormone test from the doctor and have a scan for PCO, they might then give you prescription meds to fix these things first. I found out I had PCO when I went to a specialist about hairiness so now I've gots anti-androgen and anti-diabetic meds.

Alisha
(no login)
November 9 2007, 10:13 AM

Is Nettle Root considered the equal of Saw Palmetto as an anti-androgen? Or is Saw Palmetto better?

Penny
(Login Pen1980)
November 9 2007, 5:21 PM

Hi Louise,

Thank you for the advice, I think you are right to suggest waiting about 3 - 6 months. I don't know if I have a problem with androgens but reading your sympton list it doesn't look likely; I don't have an abnormal amount of facial or body hair, don't have acne, I get heavy periods but thats about it. Like you, I too don't want to get cellulite, I already have some and thats enough!!!

If I have a hormone test at the doctors what do I say? It makes sense to check it out but I would totally embarassed to say it was because I want to take herbs to increase my boobies lol. What would you suggest?

I will also look into that Yasmin Pill might be good to change I am currently on Marvelon. It contains a combination of two synthetic derivatives of naturally occurring sex hormones, oestrogen and progesterone, found in the female body and I think Yasmin is pretty similar.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Penny x

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
November 9 2007, 8:52 PM

I haven't actually used either - I bought nettle leaf by accident which is supposed to help with allergies but does nothing for boobs. Lisa121 found nettle root to be more effective than SP but I think most other people only tried one or the other so couldn't compare or preferred SP.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon