Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Does green tea lower or increase DHT?

I've always thought green tea was a good anti-dht (many sources indicate that it is) but according to this https://selfhacked.com/2016/06/09/hidden-benefits-dht-increase-reduce/ green tea increases DHT. 
How can there be such contrasting opinions?? Any thoughts?

I opened the article and see that it lists green tea in foods that lower DHT not raise it.

(15-03-2017, 04:17 AM)Sybiann Wrote:  I opened the article and see that it lists green tea in foods that lower DHT not raise it.

Hi, Sybiann,
Better double-check that....  ;-)
I see green tea in what increases DHT, but that ECGC (part of green tea!) reduces it.

I think one is a typo.  ;-)

-Dianna

Green Tea-

promotes aromatase, increases GABA, promotes estrogen and estrogen target gene pS2 and PR-progesterone receptor, modifies signaling transduction pathways, antioxidant (relieves oxidative stress & reduces lipid oxidation), possess potent iron-chelating radical-scavenging and anti-inflammatory activities (polyphenol EGCG-Epigallocatechin 3-gallate- inhibits DHT) are powerful free radical destroyers, protects against neurological diseases. Green tea catechins ameliorate adipose insulin resistance, anti-androgen (inhibits DHT), stimulates beta-receptors at fat cells to increase release of lipids into the bloodstream, GTE induces liver glucuronidation (meaning a higher concentration in the liver). Green Tea displaces estradiol in SHBG, making a higher bioavailability of E2 Estradiol (in the blood) benefiting delivery to target tissues. I believe GTE acts more like a generic herbal version of spirolactone. The higher the EGCG content the stronger it's ability to fight disease.....look for 80-98% catechins in supplements.

I believe GTE acts like generic herbal version of spirolactone. 

More info on green tea found here:
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=21602&pid=194560#pid194560

(15-03-2017, 01:21 PM)Dianna1395 Wrote:  
(15-03-2017, 04:17 AM)Sybiann Wrote:  I opened the article and see that it lists green tea in foods that lower DHT not raise it.

Hi, Sybiann,
Better double-check that....  ;-)
I see green tea in what increases DHT, but that ECGC (part of green tea!) reduces it.

I think one is a typo.  ;-)

-Dianna

So could you technically take ECGC supplements to lower DHT?  Big Grin

Thank you for your replies, Sybiann, Lotus and Dianna.

I keep reading that green tea does inhibit certain isoforms of 5-alpha-reductase but it could increase DHT in other areas. I hope not...some sites say green tea lowers DHT but only if you take it together with soyfoods. Puzzling!

I'd also like to know more about ECGC!

If anyone's interested here's an article about green tea and soy (the perfect duo for lowering DHT apparently):
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/2/516.full

(15-03-2017, 06:04 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Green Tea-

promotes aromatase, increases GABA, promotes estrogen and estrogen target gene pS2 and PR-progesterone receptor, modifies signaling transduction pathways, antioxidant (relieves oxidative stress & reduces lipid oxidation), possess potent iron-chelating radical-scavenging and anti-inflammatory activities (polyphenol EGCG-Epigallocatechin 3-gallate- inhibits DHT) are powerful free radical destroyers, protects against neurological diseases. Green tea catechins ameliorate adipose insulin resistance, anti-androgen (inhibits DHT), stimulates beta-receptors at fat cells to increase release of lipids into the bloodstream, GTE induces liver glucuronidation (meaning a higher concentration in the liver). Green Tea displaces estradiol in SHBG, making a higher bioavailability of E2 Estradiol (in the blood) benefiting delivery to target tissues. I believe GTE acts more like a generic herbal version of spirolactone. The higher the EGCG content the stronger it's ability to fight disease.....look for 80-98% catechins in supplements.

I believe GTE acts like generic herbal version of spirolactone. 

More info on green tea found here:
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=21602&pid=194560#pid194560

*bows to Lotus*

Just a question...I think someone on this forum had said that Green Tea increases SHBG, is an aromatase inhibitor and aids in fat loss. Could you kindly confirm if this is true please? 

Thank you in advance <3

(16-03-2017, 07:37 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  If anyone's interested here's an article about green tea and soy (the perfect duo for lowering DHT apparently):

Hey Bettie. Do you know if when we talk about green tea what type of green tea it is? I am aware that in japan they drink matcha greentea (it' that really green powdery and tasty) whereas in Oz all that' stocked in supermarkets is greentea and it's bitter and not pleasant...I guess what am questioning is all green tea equal or is matcha the true greentea? The one with actual benefits?

(18-12-2017, 09:15 AM)NChrissygwy Wrote:  
(16-03-2017, 07:37 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  If anyone's interested here's an article about green tea and soy (the perfect duo for lowering DHT apparently):

Hey Bettie. Do you know if when we talk about green tea what type of green tea it is? I am aware that in japan they drink matcha greentea (it' that really green powdery and tasty) whereas in Oz all that' stocked in supermarkets is greentea and it's bitter and not pleasant...I guess what am questioning is all green tea equal or is matcha the true greentea? The one with actual benefits?
Hope not cause matcha is AWEFUL......

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon