Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Issues with PC. Taking PM and other herbs for progesterone.

I've got some questions that I hope someone can help me out with. Hoping that I don't have to keep searching the forums for endless hours to find the exact answer.

I started my hormone balancing regime with PC, after reading that low progesterone was often the cause for hormonal acne and that being on birth control greatly lowers it. I started taking PC not too long after getting off of my IUD, and it seemed great at first, but I started having issues.

I noticed a bit of help in the sleep department (I've had insomnia for years), and increased lubrication, but one side effect I did not like came up: increased hair loss. I googled this and it seems I'm not the only person to respond this way to PC. It got to the point where my hair felt so weak that I couldn't bear to touch it, so I stopped. I hadn't even been taking it very long, but it's not worth the added trauma for me because my hair is already thin. Sad

This has lead me to seek other ways to assist my progesterone levels out without the cream.

I already take 1g of vitamin c and of vitamin e, which I read about in another thread. I've also started doing binaural beats/isochronic tones for progesterone (I seem to respond positively to BBs for other purposes, so I feel this is a good option for me). I'm considering taking another herb along side this.

The issue is that I'm also beginning to take 550mg of PM (Barlowes brand), because in addition to having low progesterone, I also have low estrogen. What can I safely take alongside PM without hindering it? I feel drawn toward taking Damiana. I've been drawn to it for a while but never tried.

Some info on it: http://brainresearchsupplement.com/damiana
and a blogger's experience with it: http://www.endoempowered.com/alternative...gesterone/

Quote from the first page: "there was a study which revealed that Damiana possesses effects like those of progesterone and from one hundred and fifty plants, it was in the top six featuring progesterone-binding properties."

Still researching, but if anyone has anything to say about the topic, please chime in!!

''Hoping that I don't have to keep searching the forums for endless hours to find the exact answer. '' Ha ha lol, I think this is just the beginning of your searchTongue Its like a big part of my nbe journey at least.

But my suggestion for boosting P other then with pc cream is Vitex/chasteberry. Take a look at that herbWink might be what you're looking for..

(02-09-2015, 11:19 PM)Hannah14 Wrote:  ''Hoping that I don't have to keep searching the forums for endless hours to find the exact answer. '' Ha ha lol, I think this is just the beginning of your searchTongue Its like a big part of my nbe journey at least.

But my suggestion for boosting P other then with pc cream is Vitex/chasteberry. Take a look at that herbWink might be what you're looking for..

So much searching and researching, yes. I've been doing that for the past several days. One thing just keeps leading to another! Tongue

I was looking into vitex too, but I thought it also had estrogenic properties so I didn't look further. I suppose I read the wrong thing! I also wanted to make sure there were no negative interactions, especially because I don't plan on cycling - I want to take PM everyday.

Hi Seraphic, Wink

Can you mention the brand and exact ingredients?.

(03-09-2015, 12:27 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Hi Seraphic, Wink

For which?

The progesterone was Now Foods with a whole mess of ingredients: http://www.nowfoods.com/Natural-Progeste...am-3oz.htm

The PM I have is Barlowes (mentioned already). There are apparently no fillers other than PM powder, in a veggie cap.

(03-09-2015, 12:31 AM)seraphic Wrote:  

For which?

The progesterone was Now Foods with a whole mess of ingredients: http://www.nowfoods.com/Natural-Progeste...am-3oz.htm

The PM I have is Barlowes (mentioned already). There are apparently no fillers other than PM powder, in a veggie cap.

The PC,

I'm not familiar with this brand, I didn't see any customer reviews?, which is always a good indicator of how well a product works/ or not. Vitamin D deficiency can reduce the benefits of progesterone. Also, progesterone cream has a benefit that inhibits 5 alpha reductase, which fights DHT (causes hair loss). Do you have a known thyroid issue?.

(03-09-2015, 12:52 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(03-09-2015, 12:31 AM)seraphic Wrote:  

For which?

The PC,

I'm not familiar with this brand, I didn't see any customer reviews?, which is always a good indicator of how well a product works/ or not. Vitamin D deficiency can reduce the benefits of progesterone. Also, progesterone cream has a benefit that inhibits 5 alpha reductase, which fights DHT (causes hair loss). Do you have a known thyroid issue?.

The PC has tons of reviews on Amazon and iHerb, mostly good. Here's Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Progeste...merReviews

Hmm, okay, thank you. Smile I do know that progesterone is supposed to help with hair loss, but I'm not the only one with this experience, and I'm not going to put mysel through any periods of shedding to potentially get to the benefits later on. A lot of supplements cause hair shedding for me. I do tend toward vit D deficiency, so I started taking it again as well and getting outdoors. My blood tests haven't indicated any thyroid issues.

Well off the top of my head I think you'll be high on prolactin, which will keep progesterone and estrogen low. Btw, Vitamin E opposes estrogen. Prolactin increases inflammation, (stress/cortisol does that too). Reducing stress and over all body inflammation (free radical damage too) is a smart move. Inflammation is a systemic thing, not just a certain body part. Have you ever looked into cellular repair or mitochondrial metabolism?. There's something called the randle cycle (effect) which everyone should read (I mean if you ever get bored, then read it). Big Grin

(03-09-2015, 01:33 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Well off the top of my head I think you'll be high on prolactin, which will keep progesterone and estrogen low. Btw, Vitamin E opposes estrogen. Prolactin increases inflammation, (stress/cortisol does that too). Reducing stress and over all body inflammation (free radical damage too) is a smart move. Inflammation is a systemic thing, not just a certain body part. Have you ever looked into cellular repair or mitochondrial metabolism?. There's something called the randle cycle (effect) which everyone should read (I mean if you ever get bored, then read it). Big Grin

Thank you SO much. I'm only starting to learn about hormones. I do have a lot of unexplained inflammatory issues in my body, which no tests or doctors have helped me with over the many years. My cortisol is apparently fine in my last test, despite having chronic fatigue and experienced adrenal burn out in the past. I've just been doing my best with a healthy diet, supplements, and stress reducing activities while I try to obtain more info. Definitely going to read up on these things.

Edit: Just read that vitex helps lower prolactin - so if it does do that, and assists progesterone, it's sounding like the best option.

Add maca to your program. POM

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon