Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

FAQ-Grapefruit juice for NBE?

Grapefruit Juice

Something in grapefruit juice blocks the action of specific enzymes needed to absorb and break down drugs. These enzymes, found in the intestinal wall and liver, are called cytochrome P-450 3A4 and 1A2 (CYP3A4 and CYP1A2, for short). Several constituents of grapefruit juice have been implicated, including specific flavonoids and other phytochemicals called furanocoumarins. Concentration of these compounds varies from one batch of juice to another.

By inhibiting the action of these enzymes, grapefruit juice increases your body’s absorption of certain drugs, and also slows the process of breaking them down in the liver. Thus certain drugs affected by these enzymes stay in the body longer than normal.

You need to be well studied in your drug interactions when adding Grapefruit juice.

Quality clinical trials upon which to base therapeutic dosing recommendations are limited. Improved lipid profiles were achieved with consumption of 1 grapefruit daily for 30 days. Grapefruit juice 8 oz (237 mL), or half of a fresh grapefruit, 3 times a day before each meal for 12 weeks resulted in weight loss in a clinical trial evaluating the effect on metabolic syndrome. http://www.drugs.com/npp/grapefruit.html

Grapefruit Juice
http://www.pkdiet.com/pages/recipes/reci...fruit.html

(08-03-2014, 11:10 PM)Mistress~Lotus Wrote:  
Grapefruit Juice

Something in grapefruit juice blocks the action of specific enzymes needed to absorb and break down drugs. These enzymes, found in the intestinal wall and liver, are called cytochrome P-450 3A4 and 1A2 (CYP3A4 and CYP1A2, for short). Several constituents of grapefruit juice have been implicated, including specific flavonoids and other phytochemicals called furanocoumarins. Concentration of these compounds varies from one batch of juice to another.

By inhibiting the action of these enzymes, grapefruit juice increases your body’s absorption of certain drugs, and also slows the process of breaking them down in the liver. Thus certain drugs affected by these enzymes stay in the body longer than normal.

You need to be well studied in your drug interactions when adding Grapefruit juice.

Quality clinical trials upon which to base therapeutic dosing recommendations are limited. Improved lipid profiles were achieved with consumption of 1 grapefruit daily for 30 days. Grapefruit juice 8 oz (237 mL), or half of a fresh grapefruit, 3 times a day before each meal for 12 weeks resulted in weight loss in a clinical trial evaluating the effect on metabolic syndrome. http://www.drugs.com/npp/grapefruit.html

Grapefruit Juice
http://www.pkdiet.com/pages/recipes/reci...fruit.html

Hm! I'd have thought grapefruit juice would make NBE harder. I know it supposedly helps you lose weight.

If anyone decides to try this out, good luck getting past the taste, as it is horrid.

(08-03-2014, 11:39 PM)blessedbreasts Wrote:  Hm! I'd have thought grapefruit juice would make NBE harder. I know it supposedly helps you lose weight.

If anyone decides to try this out, good luck getting past the taste, as it is horrid.

LOL, yes it's an acquired taste. In NBE, it is intended mostly for slowing the metabolism or breakdown of estrogen. In women estrogen is broken down more efficiently than men, and when it's not metabolized properly it will lead to hormonal imbalances.

Oh, in that case, I should try it, as I think my estrogen isn't in proper balance. I just can't get past the taste. Tongue

(09-03-2014, 12:16 AM)blessedbreasts Wrote:  Oh, in that case, I should try it, as I think my estrogen isn't in proper balance. I just can't get past the taste. Tongue

I've recently added Dandelion root, which upregulates estrogen receptors, and uses the estrogen you are putting in more effectively. What's funny is that St.John's Wort does the exact opposite. I'll be putting together an interaction list but it's really a pain, lol.

Echinacea and Eucalyptus oil inhibit P450 enzymes

Smile

Wait, St. John's Wort has the opposite effect? I'm so glad you mentioned it, thank you! I was going to start taking it occasionally for the calming effect. Glad I'm a part of this forum! I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge you guys provide.

(09-03-2014, 12:42 AM)blessedbreasts Wrote:  Wait, St. John's Wort has the opposite effect? I'm so glad you mentioned it, thank you! I was going to start taking it occasionally for the calming effect. Glad I'm a part of this forum! I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge you guys provide.

Maybe we need to do a liver/hormone thread, so many issues that can go wrong!

Tell me about it! I just found out yesterday that even cinnamon oil can have a negative effect on the liver, depending on which source the oil is from. Stuff like this is why I'm wary of herbs...

(09-03-2014, 01:06 AM)blessedbreasts Wrote:  Tell me about it! I just found out yesterday that even cinnamon oil can have a negative effect on the liver, depending on which source the oil is from. Stuff like this is why I'm wary of herbs...

Wow thats crazy, I know it has multiple uses including anti-inflammatory properties but that's a new one for me. Or even fluid retention from a hormone imbalance is another one that could be shared.

Really? Hormone imbalance can throw all kinds of things out of wack. I didn't realize just how strong hormones' effects can be until I got into NBE.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon