Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What herb is the most potent source of phytoestrogens?

Is there even one clear answer to this question? And what does potency mean in this case? Does it just refer to the potency of the individual phytoestrogens that an herb contains, or does it also have to do with the concentration of phytoestrogens?

Pueraria Mirifica (PM) is the most potency herb. that's why it is recommended not to take it with other herbs.... I don't know to answer your other questions sorry..

If you search the web, some websites say that soy is the most potent source of phytoestrogens.

Tenielle, I've seen that a bunch of times, and it points to there being 2 very different definitions of potency. Apparently it's potent in the sense that it contains a very high concentration of phytoestrogens in the form of soy isoflavones, but the isoflavones are so weakly estrogenic that soy isn't potent at all in the usual sense. At least, not when it comes to BE. All this makes, me think they're really isn't one single "right" answer to this question.

I read once that soy is 3,000 times weaker than Pueraria Mirifica and that red clover is 100 times weaker than Pueraria Mirifica, thus, Pueraria Mirifica is supposed to have the highest phytoestrogen content according to others. Aguaje is also very high in phytoestrogens but for some reason the phytoestrogens with that fruit go to your hips and butt instead of your boobs.

A Canadian study said that flax (and other oilseeds) contained the highest total phytoestrogen content.

(15-07-2011, 12:08 PM)Molly H Wrote:  A Canadian study said that flax (and other oilseeds) contained the highest total phytoestrogen content.
Compared to what? I can't see flax seeds having strong estrogenic properties...Do you have a link to the study?

Wantmyboobsback, they probably have a high concentration of incredibly weak phytoestrogens. Like gogirlanime said, some phytoestrogens are thousands of times stronger than others. Also flax had to have been just the most rich in estrogens of the sources studied , since obviously no study could look at every possible source. Maybe it was limited to just seeds , or even seed oils. Im curious now too. I hope she responds Big Grin

I must say that I don't understand the claims that some phytoestogens are thousands of times stronger than others. I've read that estrogen is thousands of times stronger than phytoestrogen, so if some phytoestrogens were thousands of times stronger than other phytoestrogens wouldn't they be as strong as estrogen? Huh

I just did a quick search to find out how much stronger estrogen is than phytoestrogens and got 3 different answers straight away. A couple of sources claim that phytoestrogens may be anywhere from 1/100th to 1/1000th the strength of estradiol, but other sources said 1/50th the strength of estradiol and 1/200th the strength.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon