Poll: Does breastfeeding cause saggy breasts? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
33.33%
No
66.67%
66.67%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Does breastfeeding cause saggy breasts?

I'm not sure if this has been asked. My mom did not breastfeed me or my brother. My mom was overweight after her second and final pregnancy, but her breasts did not sag. They were both large and perky. probably at least a DD. So my question is does breastfeeding cause breasts to sag? Or is it the pregnancy itself that causes this? I have read many research (denying that breastfeeding causes this) which also suggests breastfeeding prevents ovarian cancer, breast cancer, blah blah. However, my boyfriend was an only child and was breastfed. His mom was an athlete, eats very well, was a college basketball player. She has had both breast cancer and ovarian cancer. My mom did not breastfeed and has had neither. These are only two cases in a billion. I want to know what other people's experiences have been!

it could have something to do with all the calories women burn while breastfeeding alot of women lose their pregnancy weight really fast if they breast feed and quick weightloss can cause empty looking breasts
Although my mums very slim and petite shes breast fed 4 children quickly got back to her pre pregnant dress size and gained a cup size after each of us although before children she was very flat(my auntie told me she used to ask her where her boobs were)

I have two children, and did not breastfeed either of them. Yet whatever itty bitty boobs I had (like a 34AA/AAA) flattened out to literally NOTHING (34AAAAA). Dodgy So I believe just pregnancy itself can kill your boobs, FOR SOME WOMEN. Others, as cupcakes just mentioned, are super lucky and gain cup sizes after having babies and/or breastfeeding. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. Sad I didn't even grow at all during pregnancy. I attained a 34 *almost A* for just one day right after my kids were born, when I was engorged. I will always fondly remember what it was like to "sort of have boobs." Sigh.

My breasts were huge while breastfeeding. And now they are saggy and empty. Of course everyone is different. My SIL has huge breasts now after breastfeeding 3 children, but she is also overwieght, and I am not. So that might play a part as well.

Whatever the benefits might or might not be for the woman who breastfeeds, the benefits for the child outweigh any and all cause and effect from breastfeeding. Breastmilk is and always will be the best form of milk for your baby. Smile

I agree that the health and emotional benefits for the baby far outweigh the effects of breastfeeding on your boobs!

That being said, my experience is this: I always had quite small breasts and they became big and full when I was pregnant, more so after my kids were born. Breastfeeding allowed me to loose the extra pregnancy weight very easily, I didn´t have to diet or whatever. When I look at pictures from that time (and I breastfed for many years), I had a beautiful figure! Anyway. When my youngest weaned herself my boobs looked very sad, like empty bags. I seriously thought about a boob job but some months later they had filled up by themselves and were about the same as before I got pregnant. It was just a matter of having patience. They were probably not as perky as before, but it wasn´t that big a difference.
Now I´m doing hypnosis and using a noogleberry because I want to look like I did when I had big boobs! I don´t regret at all breastfeeding my kids, in fact all moms I know say the opposite, that they regret not having been able to breastfeed theirs, or choosing not to do it.

There are many women on the noogleberry forum who have perked up their boobs noogling, so that seems the way to go if sagginess is your worry.

I think my biggest concern is just feeding from the breast. I think my inhibitions with it came from two girls (sisters) I knew who were breastfed. After they were weaned and still today they grab and play with other girls' breasts. Almost like breastfeeding had some sort of psychological effect on them. Also both of their teeth rotted while breastfeeding and in childhood. I did not know the mother or father too well, so I am not sure what may have caused this (drug related perhaps? I don't know...). I am also frightened of how painful it might be when the time comes because I have very sensitive nipples. Those are my main reasons, but saggy, empty breasts is a minor concern.

(07-06-2011, 03:35 PM)prettypurplekao Wrote:  I think my biggest concern is just feeding from the breast. I think my inhibitions with it came from two girls (sisters) I knew who were breastfed. After they were weaned and still today they grab and play with other girls' breasts. Almost like breastfeeding had some sort of psychological effect on them. Also both of their teeth rotted while breastfeeding and in childhood. I did not know the mother or father too well, so I am not sure what may have caused this (drug related perhaps? I don't know...). I am also frightened of how painful it might be when the time comes because I have very sensitive nipples. Those are my main reasons, but saggy, empty breasts is a minor concern.

It probably wasnt the breast feeding that caused that :o probably just that family.. i dont think milk can make teeth rot, but i know when they used to give babies squash in baby bottles their teeth could come through rotten also if children are ill while their teeth are growing.

I think its quite widely agreed breast milk is best for babies Smile

I mean if your worried about sore nipples some women prefer using a pump?

You shouldn´t get sore nipples from breastfeeding because they naturally get more resistent after you give birth. If breastfeeding does cause pain, however, it´s probably because the baby isn´t sucking right or his/her tongue is getting in the wrong way, and there are techniques to correct those problems. A good friend of mine had painful nipples with her first baby and she contacted la leche league and they helped her with it, the solution was actually very simple. After that she nursed her baby with no problem at all.

The rotting teeth must be from something else, in fact teeth and bones grow more healthy when you give a baby her mom´s milk. As for those girls grabbing boobs, how old were they? The brothers of my best friend used to do that too at a certain age but they were never breastfed, it seems it was just part of their development.

Hi everyone, i have never actually breastfed but i have lactated for about 3 months, i will say although i never lost any size after but my breasts did change shape and sag alot more. I think i does depend on the individual. From what i understand breast size can be lost because when breast milk comes in the breast of course swells to componsate for the milk and the milk ducts and tissue enlarge, so does your skin. Your breast fat content during this stage actually decreases. So after the breast milk has gone the breast shrinks and for those with a low fat content in the breast can be left with alot smaller breasts. The sagging comes from the increased weight on the skin and muscle that supports the breast so again when your milk drys up your skin does not shrink back and your muscle has stretched itself into that postion and agian will need exercise to perk them back up. I for one think breast feeding is the way to go, breast is best. And not everyone will loose size especially if you have a well fitted bra for support during this time. many experts say a womans breast has not reached full maturity untill you have breast fed.

Hugs Cheryl xxxx

I read that pregnancy is mainly what causes the breasts to sag and not breast feeding. Pregnancy causes your breasts to swell and the fat to deplete in order to make room for the swollen glands. After the milk dries up the fat redeposits itself in the breasts however often women are left with varying degrees of emptiness and sag. My mother's breasts got bigger from breast feeding, remained so afterward and did not sag. They're quite perky for her age as well. I actually read that breast feeding is beneficial to the woman's body because it stimulates the uterus to contract faster and weaning slowly encourages fat to deposit itself in the breasts. However I think this varies from woman to woman.

Bottom line is breast feeding is not nearly as harmful to the aesthetics of your breasts as pregnancy itself and breast milk is extremely benefical to infants so I would recommend all women to do it.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon