Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Nettle Root vs. Nettle

Nettle Root vs. Nettle
July 25 2009 at 2:41 AM cindy (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,
I just picked up some MSM, hops and nettle herb from the vitamin shoppe today to add to my nbe routine. I noticed that the only nettle root they had was in standardized version so i opted for the nettle whole herb instead. Will the nettle herb which contains stem, leaves, and flower do the same thing as the nettle root would? I'm using it to replace saw palmetto since I believe i have excess androgens. Any responses would be greatly appreciated !! thanks!!

Author Reply
Sally Anne
(Login sally.anne)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Nettle Root vs. Nettle July 25 2009, 10:22 PM

No, the nettle leaves have different properties to the nettle root.

This is quite a good read on nettle: http://www.vortexhealth.net/stinging_nettle.html

cindy
(Login Dreamer121) Re: Nettle Root vs. Nettle July 26 2009, 6:06 AM

That was an interesting read thankyou I am going to return my nettle and get stinging nettle root !

Mary
(no login) Re: Nettle Root vs. Nettle August 24 2009, 11:46 AM

Yes that page is a useful read. I thought that site was handy for all the herbs it has there. Many sites have little or no information on the herbs they sell.

Mel C
(Login mcovert) Re: Nettle Root vs. Nettle August 29 2009, 2:57 AM

That is interesting.I take SP,but due to gaining in my hips and butt(I was already very well endowed in those areas already-----it's almost ridiculous now).I was in a new health food store,and all they had were nettle leaves.I was only price comparing.I asked the owner if there was a difference in the nettle leaves vs. nettle root.She said no,it's the same thing.Looked me right in the eyes and damn well lied.B*****! Sorry.....my hormones are on overload.But seriously,I will not go back there to purchase.

~~What you think about,you bring about~~

Mel C

Mary
(no login) Re: Nettle Root vs. Nettle August 29 2009, 8:44 AM

Perhaps she just didn't know they have different properties.

Betty
(no login) Re: Nettle Root vs. Nettle September 12 2009, 7:39 PM

Yes it was probably an innocent mistake. You can't rely on what they tell you in stores anyway, they are often mistaken about herbs,

Nettle root vs. Nettle herb??
September 28 2006 at 10:02 PM
Coffeegirl (Login coffeegirl77)
I have a question: I am having trouble finding Nettle ROOT!! I have found plenty of nettle herb in my local health food stores, but they look at me blankly when I ask for the root supliments! I am in the USA-- does anyone know a reliable site where I can order it? Also, just to clarify, if I am going to replace my Saw Palmetto with the Nettle, I do need the root, not the leaf/herb, right? The leaves wouldn't do the same thing? Just want to make sure. Thanks ladies!

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Nettle root vs. Nettle herb??
September 29 2006, 8:29 AM

The nettle leaf and the nettle root have different properties and are used for different purposes. The root is used more in Europe than the US, which is why you might not find it on every shelf there, but it shouldn't be that difficult to find.

Maria
(no login)
September 29 2006, 9:48 PM

If you're in the USA you can get the nettle root from Vitamin Shoppe.

wsdm
(Login wsdm)
September 29 2006, 9:51 PM

what are the uses of each part? What benefits are there in the root that is lacking in the leaf and vice versa?

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
September 30 2006, 5:58 PM

I found this info online, I hope this clears it up a bit.
I know that there are many more usages for Nettle leaf at least, I know for example that it has blood cleaning properties and can also be used on cuts and grazes.

"What Is Nettle Used for Today?

Currently, nettle root is more commonly used medicinally than the above-ground portion of the herb. In Europe, nettle root is widely used for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or prostate enlargement. Like saw palmetto, pygeum, and beta-sitosterol, nettle appears to reduce obstruction to urinary flow and decrease the need for nighttime urination. However, the evidence is not as strong for nettle as it is for these other treatments.

Nettle leaf has become a popular treatment for allergies (hay fever) based on one preliminary double-blind study.

Nettle leaf is highly nutritious, and in cooked form may be used as a general dietary supplement."

Lisa

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon