Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Reference: Graph of the Menstrual Cycle

[Image: MenstrualCycleGraph-1.gif]

Wahaika, thanks for posting that. I have a slightly off-topic question regarding my cycle and wondered if you could help. I feel FANTASTIC the week after my period. Now I suffer from anxiety and depression, so this post-period week is a godsend. Is there any supplement that can be taken to provide the hormonal balance experienced in that week, on the other weeks in my cycle? (I hope that makes sense!)

Thanks!

Hello Pebble,

Have you talked to a doctor about this? There are many possiblities. It would also help to know more about you, especially stat related information.

Wahaika

Hi Wahaika

Thanks for your reply. A bit more about me - I have had panic disorder for 20 years (I'm 36 now). The depression is mainly linked to the panic disorder, and life circumstances. I take an SNRI anti-depressant (Effexor) for anxiety, which helps a little, plus a small amount of a neuroleptic. It doesn't do an awful lot for the depression, however. I have told my doctor this, but she is hesitant to change my meds right now for various reasons.

The medication has made me put on weight. Without meds, I was 118 pounds, and at 5'8 that meant I was naturally very underweight and found it almost imposssible to put on weight - although my thyroid function test was always fine. On the meds, I am now 137 pounds, and trying to lose some weight as I put it on round my butt and my stomach. My periods are regular, but I get quite bad PMT (which my meds should theoretically work for, but don't). I had a hormone test (as I have a cystic form of acne) and ovary scans, and they were normal. My stats are 35, 32, 40.

Apart from Wonderup, I am taking fish oils and Vitamin B Complex, primarily for their mood benefits.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts - I appreciate this is something I should take up again with my doctor, but was just curious whether there was anything supplement-wise which might help.

Thanks (and sorry for the long post)!

Pebble

Hi Pebble,

No problem with long posts. You should see some of mine!

As I read your post I get the impression that I am only seeing the tip of an iceberg. I suspect that going into some detail on what you are taking and why would be a longer thread than this was intended to be, you may not want to answer a bunch of nosey questions from me, and I really hesitate to make any recommendation without knowing more. I would really like to avoid giving an opinion on what I think might help, and have it backfire.

Here are my thoughts: The combination of having panic/anxiety disorder along with depresson, and being prescribed a neuroleptic along with Effexor for depression leads me to believe that you could be either bipolar or schizophrenic. I don't know if this is from a chemical imbalance or from "life circumstances" in terms of some experience(s) that may have led to this. The apparent dichotemy in your symptoms and treatment makes me really fearful that anything you try could have the opposite effect. Can you see how I am fearful of giving my opinion on what supplements to take? There are a lot of things to consider, especially some that are unknown from my viewpoint.

There are some things that you could try that could alleviate the anxiety, but inadvertently contribute to the depression. There are some things that could be tried that I see as possible, but they may be symptoms of something underlying that could make things much worse.

Can you understand my hesitation to open my big mouth and start recommending things that could make everything worse?

Wahaika

Hi Wahaika

Thanks so much for your reply. I totally understand that you don't want to make recommendations. I should have explained that I only take a tiny amount of the neuroleptic, which is being used to counteract the stomach side effects of Effexor, and to work on the anxiety too (this is an off label use - in larger amounts it certainly is used for bipolar etc). I've just got common garden panic disorder Smile

I will keep on taking my fish oils/EPO and Vit B complex, in the hope that I see some effect after 3 months.

Thanks again for your reply!

Pebble

Actually this is the fact from the medical science that not every month is same for any of the women for the period. Actually some of the women have a good days so they can survive easily but is the system having some problem then the women or the girl have to suffer.

Just to be 100% sure, day 1 of your cycle is the first day you menstruate right?

Yes.

Hi...stupid question but wat is LH and FSH on the graph?
:-/

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon