Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

asking doctors about Brava

asking doctors about Brava
January 31 2007 at 12:48 AM jen (Login jennifer1974)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone asked their doctor about Brava Bra? I emailed mine and have not heard back yet.

Author Reply
diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER ? January 31 2007, 1:27 AM

why would you ask your dr about brava?

Edit Message Delete Message

Peaches
(no login) Re: asking doctors about Brava January 31 2007, 7:51 AM

There was a TV programme in the UK recently, well it must be a few months ago now, about attempts to address the issue of small breasts using various methods, and at one point the woman using Brava was shown consulting her doctor about it, who told her that he'd looked into it and believed that any results were unlikely to last.

jen
(Login jennifer1974) why ask a doctor, you ask!?!?!? February 1 2007, 3:23 AM

Because this product claims to increase tissue growth, and who better to validate this claim than someone who has studied the human body!!

diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER hi February 1 2007, 2:58 PM

Maybe you can check out the clinical trials that were published while you are waiting to hear from your doc. you can also have your doc check your breasts just to make sure. good luck. i would like to hear his response. Smile

jen
(Login jennifer1974) okay ... February 2 2007, 2:02 AM

I have posted my response from my doctor, above. I'm now very concerned about this product!

wannaBbig
(Login wannaBbig) experience with Brava February 2 2007, 8:51 AM

This Doctor obviously has not used Brava. Just because a person is a doctor, does not mean that they know it all. They take educated guesses all the time. I live with a Doctor and work with them all day long.(for the past 15 years) I see them being wrong all the time. Yes even when it comes to human body issues.
I used Brava 3 years ago and have not lost any of the growth I got from it. The worst thing about Brava is its so inconvienient. But is sure works.

jen
(Login jennifer1974) re: experience with Brava February 3 2007, 3:32 AM

I'm not talking about what my doctor wrote, for he admits not knowing about it. I'm talkking about Brava's lack of FDA approval. THAT is scary!

diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER okay lets play your little game. February 3 2007, 3:51 AM

Why should brava get fda approval? because cigarettes and alcohol do and they are SO good for your health? lol sorry couldn't help it. Smile an sorry but just because you get the govt's approval doesnt make it okay. and it certainly doesnt make it good for your body.

jen
(Login jennifer1974) FDA approval February 3 2007, 4:26 AM

That's definitely a good point, thanks. I'm still researching it on my own so I'll let you know what else I come up with. I certainly am hoping it's safe, as I'd like to use one, myself!

jen
(Login jennifer1974) by the way ... February 3 2007, 4:30 AM

i only raise these questions because i care about the health of women, especially if it is jeopardized at the expense of trying to achieve physical beauty standards. i have no ulterior motives or "little games" that i am playing.

hey girls......going to see a cosmetic dr
July 25 2007 at 2:17 PM pieceapie (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was wondering, im going to see a cosmetic surgeon do you think he can help get the brava.....do i "need" to see a doctor before i order the brava
some adive plz

Author Reply
Louise
(no login) Re: hey girls......going to see a cosmetic dr July 25 2007, 5:10 PM

Are you in US? UK you just phone up and order, not sure if you do the same abroad but have seen some American doctor's sites offering a Brava package including checkups, not really sure what you need checkups for though...google Brava and you should be able to find their main page. If I was to do it again I would be tempted to buy brand new domes and then use a home made airlock - this saves about 75% of the cost, otherwise I'd get the whole set from Brava as they give a 90 day warranty. Also most people on here would agree that the Brava Sport system isn't much different and is quite a bit cheaper (don't think we have that choice in UK). Having the smartbox / sportbox has the advantage of having an alarm to wake you up if you lose your seal but some people have used an airlock overnight and as they are using more pressure the domes are less likely to lose a seal so your choice really.

Good luck x

Seri_Flamehair
(Login Seri_Flamehair)
SENIOR MEMBER Doc or not. July 25 2007, 6:26 PM

Answer is no you don't just order direct from brava. I would recommend the sport system as it is cheaper only diff is it does not call brava to log your hours you have to do so yourself. I got mine for $840 with the skin care set. I recommend the skin care aswell. It does help did it before without. As to getting just the domes from brava you can't until you order a complete package first. So much for not buying the smart/sportbox.

tissue growth from Brava MAY NOT BE HEALTHY TISSUE!
February 2 2007 at 2:00 AM jen (Login jennifer1974)

This is my doctor's advice on Brava:

This is a challenging question. My primary answer when people ask about
cosmetics is to let them know that I don't involve myself in cosmetic
care. I would be happiest to know my patients are comfortable with who
they are and require "medicine" only to stay healthy. That said, there
are people who have an inciting force to change their appearance. There
is risk and high costs to all cosmetics, and Brava is no different. Here
is a website with some opinions you may want to consider:
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/breaste...urenla.htm

If you plan to do something for breast enhancement, Brava is expensive and
time-consuming. It is probably, but not definetly, safer than surgery. I
hope this helps somewhat. I would certainly recommend you take some time
to think about why you want to do this and for whom you are doing this. I
would rather spend my time and money enjoying life/friends/family than
undergoing these procedures.

-----------------------------------------------

excerpts from link:

Although the company claims FDA-approval, the fact is that the only approval BRAVA has from the FDA is that it is allowed on the market as an unregulated device. The FDA cannot say whether any increase will last or how long it might last; they cannot even say whether the newly grown breast tissue will be healthy.

Author Reply
diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER hi February 2 2007, 3:43 AM

Thanks for posting this web site. i never noticed it had a hurtfx thing at the bottom where i could read others experience with brava. that has just encouraged of more that i can get the results i want. thanks. Smile lol

Peaches
(no login) Re: tissue growth from Brava MAY NOT BE HEALTHY TISSUE! February 2 2007, 7:00 AM

It has been known for a long time now that Brava are deceiving people about the approval thing. I'm just surprised that the FDA have never done anything to force them to correct their misleading statements.

jen
(Login jennifer1974) Diana ... February 3 2007, 3:25 AM

I think you should stop using this. You might grow unhealthy breast tissue that might end up dying or being rejected by your body and causing serious problems!

We have to put a limit as to how far we will go to succomb to societal standards of beauty. Please don' do anything to jeopardize your health!

diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER to jenn February 3 2007, 3:47 AM

Thank you for your concern. but it falls on deaf ears. unless you have concrete proof stating that someone has had there problems you are 'warning' me of. i suggest you cease and desist. by the way i mean proof as in publications not opinions on forums like this one.good luck to all the girls here.goodluck to you jen on whatever you decide to do or just live with what you got.

jen
(Login jennifer1974) to diana, et al. February 3 2007, 4:40 AM

sorry for the knee-jerk reaction. i'm not a doctor and really don't know what the tissue growth is like. i'm still researching ...

i might try Brava myself, so i'll keep this forum posted with my results if i do! Smile

diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER hey jen February 3 2007, 5:07 AM

no prob. check out what the other posters have to say on that link you posted. i found one thing in common. the ones who complained the most are the ones who might have worn the system for longer wks but they would only wear them for 10-12 Hrs. if anything i have learned you have to make time for something like this to work. sustained pressure. just my opinion. good luck.

Independent Assessment of Brava system
April 14 2006 at 10:58 AM
Jennelle (Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS

Here's an independent assessment of brava from a cosmetic surgeon in Seattle (published in a medical journal):

"For the past 6 months I have been using the new Brava system (Brava, LLC, Coconut Grove, Fla.) of nonsurgical breast enhancement. My initial results with the system have been inconsistent with the results reported by Khouri et al, and I believe it to be important to share this information with plastic surgeons who might be considering promoting the product. I was attracted to the system by the Journal's publication of the excellent study of Khouri et al., the endorsement of the product by a number of prestigious members of our organization, and my frustration over the years with the challenge of treating the very small-breasted woman who wants only a very minimal enlargement with an implant because of the implant's narrow diameter. The Brava company provides the physician dispensing their product with a fitting kit that contains a silicone mold equivalent to the shape of a 100-cc increase in breast tissue that the patient places on her breast to judge the anticipated average result. That potential improvement has met the objectives of almost all of the women investigating the Brava system seeking the elusive minimal enlargement. Here, I thought, was the answer to my dilemma.

The women in Khouri et al.'s study obtained an average increase of 55 percent of their breast volume (range, 115 percent down to 15 percent), representing approximately one cup size for the small cup-sized woman. Khouri et al.'s summary of their results following the treatment of 12 women (five of the original 17 excluded because of noncompliance) included the following observations:

1. "All participants were very pleased with the outcome…."
2. "…the device was comfortable to wear."
3. "No adverse events were recorded…."

I have provided the system to over 25 women since July of 2001, with 13 far enough along in their treatment to be able to judge their response. My initial findings included the following:

1. Six were pleased with the outcome and seven were displeased.
2. None described the device as comfortable.
3. Two patients had significant adverse events requiring discontinuation of therapy. One developed a systemic allergic skin reaction to the silicone domes and the other developed a tender, hard, nonsuppurative subcutaneous mass from dome pressure-fortunately, there was no skin breakdown and the mass is spontaneously resolving.

Why the striking difference in the percentage of "very pleased" individuals between my group and Khouri et al.'s? That is easy to explain. They did not consider the opinions of the five women excluded from their original 17 participants, their focus was appropriately on the objective scientific measurement of the efficacy of the device, and they provided the device free of charge. Conversely, when the physician in clinical practice assesses the success rate of a treatment method he or she does not have the luxury of simply ignoring the noncompliant individuals; the focus, by necessity, is on the subjective perception of the fulfillment of a perceived goal by the individual under treatment; and a fee is charged. Khouri et al.'s determination of being pleased was based on a short multi-question test measuring self-image. My determination was based on the simple, age-old single question test, "Would you recommend the Brava system to a friend?" The individuals in their group were "participants," whereas mine were patients. It is safe to predict that in the future I shall still not find patients who have paid approximately $2000 for the Brava system telling me that they are "very pleased" after achieving only a 15 percent increase in breast volume.

It has also become readily apparent from my experience, and the experience shared with me by others, that the recommended minimal wear-time of 10 hours a day for 10 weeks is insufficient for most women, with the actual wear-time requirement closer to 12 to 14 hours a day and, possibly, 12 to 14 weeks.

The concept of enlarging the breasts using a vacuum device is not new, but the technologic innovation called the SmartBox, which maintains the constant vacuum and by means of a computer chip records the patient wear-time and average pressure, is an ingenious concept. The patient downloads the data weekly by modem into the Brava central computer where it can then be accessed using an individual code by the patient, physician, and company. The objective is to confirm patient compliance (or noncompliance) with less than 9 hours of continuous wear-time constituting a missed day, which requires an additional week of wear-time. Unfortunately, the monitoring system does not work as intended because the device divides continuous wear-time into 2 separate days at midnight. One might think that it would all even out, and it would were the device to be worn at the same time each day, but that is impractical. One patient's husband cleverly charted the actual daily wear-time and the total hours divided into each 24-hour period, which clearly demonstrated why that when his wife wore it the required minimum of 10 hours every day, the Brava computer would frequently and erroneously identify her as noncompliant. This would seem to be a correctable glitch.

There were also issues of product reliability and performance and customer service. Although there have been frequent breakdowns of the device components, I have been very impressed with the company's ready willingness to promptly provide replacement parts for our patients and by the continued improvement in their customer support. This new company seems intent on resolving the predictable growing problems as they arise.

As a final observation and admonition, the physician should not tell the patient that the device "can …be worn during the day while at work," as claimed by the company on their Web site. The smallest set of domes might be worn discreetly under loose clothing, but the large and extra-large units certainly cannot. In addition, the SmartBox motor is designed to periodically turn on if the pressure drops below a certain level, and even with the alarm system turned off the motor can be easily heard. Not only would the patient be wearing conspicuously large devices under her blouse but her breasts might also periodically "hum."

Certainly, I have had satisfied patients who did obtain a minimal but noticeable increase in size that pleased us both. It seems to me that the Brava system has merit and does work for selected patients. Nevertheless, an even more accurate predictor of those patients who are suitable candidates, both psychologically and physically, is needed. Patients also must be more accurately informed of the reasonable probability that they will indeed be "very pleased."

Author Reply
Sally Anne
(Login sally.anne)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Independent Assessment of Brava system April 17 2006, 7:19 AM

That's a very interesting read. I would say it's the best thing I've ever found to read about Brava. Does the clinic in question still supply it?

Jennelle
(Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Independent Assessment of Brava system April 25 2006, 10:48 AM

No, they said they no longer supply the brava system because the results that their patients obtained were not consistent with what they expected from the glowing reports that were published in the original study.

Annette
(no login) Re: Independent Assessment of Brava system May 21 2006, 7:47 PM

I've noticed there are a number of clinics which have stopped selling Brava.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon