Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

[archive] Does popping pills really work for weight loss?

Does popping pills really work for weight loss?
March 28 2007 at 9:43 AM Scobbi  (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am just curious if popping pills really works for weight loss? Or is it all hype? Somany pills do somnay different things, it's hard to know what really works.

Author Reply
Anonymous
(no login) Re: Does popping pills really work for weight loss? March 28 2007, 10:01 AM 

I think there are some products which genuinely help, but you can't beat making positive changes to your lifestyle such as eating less or exercising more! There is no magic pill which can top that.

Edit Message  Delete Message   

T.O.H.
(no login) Re: Does popping pills really work for weight loss? March 30 2007, 8:40 PM 

Many herbs are used for temporary weight loss, including some that you can
buy at an herb store. However, there are many herbalists who consider
weight loss formulas to be harmful, and will not make them for their
clients. Typically, herbal diet pills use herbs with the following
properties to cause weight loss:

1. Stimulants: encourage the body to burn more calories.
2. Diuretics: cause the body to excrete water through excess urine.
3. Cathartics: cause evacuation of the bowels, reduce calorie consumption
by impeding full digestion.
4. Appetite suppressants: reduce hunger by expanding in the stomach,
altering mood, or satisfying taste.

They may also use herbs to increase perspiration, (more "water weight"
loss), and kill pain, or balance nerves.

Some formulas are definitely going to be better balanced than others, but
in general, we are not talking here about gentle herbs that nourish and
support you, as you bring your habits into balance. Herbal weight loss
formulas may have drastic physical effects on your body. "Effective" diet
pills --herbal or not-- are potent, depleting, and temporary, if effective.
They do not cure overweight conditions.

You don't need any slimming pills
October 28 2006 at 9:39 AM Pink panther (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most important thing you need to know about slimming pills is that you don't need them. I was a chubby kid and when I entered high school I decided that I wanted to lose weight. What I did was to cut out rice and sugary drinks from my diet. Immediate success! You can do it too. I eat soup and crackers most of the time. I don't know if that's easy for you to do or not, but hey it surely beats swallowing pills all the time. I'm not keen on any kind of pills and it's best not to take them if you ask me.

Author Reply
Julie
(no login) Re: You don't need any slimming pills November 16 2006, 10:57 AM

I would go crackers if I spent all my time eating crackers. That isn't a sensible solution for me.

Edit Message Delete Message

Buckle
(no login) Re: You don't need any slimming pills January 11 2007, 10:57 AM

People nowadays seem to be so much concerned about their fat deposits and for this they can go almost to any extent to have the problem treated. Little do they realize that they were better off if they had been prepared themselves so that this situation never raised at all

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: You don't need any slimming pills January 12 2007, 3:40 AM

Huh? I gained alot of weight when I got really stressed several years ago. This was eating 1200 calories or less a day. How could I have prepared for that? My body just freaked out on me and started storing fat, or my metabolism took a nose dive. Something just happened inside my body, one day I was fine, 4 months later I had gained 30 lbs.

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
SENIOR MEMBER weight gain/ loss January 12 2007, 7:17 PM

I can totally understand what you mean sissy. I have a slow metabolism and I am cold all of the time. Besides that when I was taking an antidepressant I gained weight consistently until I got off it. It is very easy to say something like that when you haven't been in the situation yourself. I have a very stressful life too and it is hard to budge any pounds at all. I can cut my calories way down and still stay the same weight. Or I can exercise and still stay the same weight. I need to try them both at the same time, but I also have a busy life with 5 kids, so it's hard to make the time to persevere with diet and exercise. It's easier to take herbs to try and grow boobs. I must admit I have a tendency towards laziness though. Even so, I am not wonder woman! I prefer to have some balance in my life and enjoy my children, enjoy making dinner for them, and still manage to take care of everybody's needs, and appointments etc. I think the weight is science, just like BE, if there is a herbal supplement or something to help things along, why not? If we can do it with little side effects it is much better than going to the doctor for a prescription that may not be as safe.

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: You don't need any slimming pills January 12 2007, 7:54 PM

Hi Lassysam, it's nice to have someone that understands. I can see both sides tho, before it happened to me, I would have not believed it if someone said that they didn't eat much but kept gaining weight. I just may not have said it outloud.

Over the last year, I started eating MORE actually, tried really hard to eat 3-5 small meals a day, but smart meals. And I exercised by walking every night. I lost about 32 lbs of it, and still have 30 more to go. Joined a club when it got to dark to walk after work, only went a couple of times, so I am being kinda lazy right now too, just concentrating on the boobs and diet for now. If my boobs get really big tho, it will make the rest of me look smaller lol? Hey with 5 kids and a busy life, you need to take time for yourself, take care - Sissy

lassysam
(Login lassysam)
SENIOR MEMBER winter sigh! January 12 2007, 8:58 PM

Eating also increases your metabolism, because it takes energy to digest and process the food. The fuel makes the furnace burn hotter. (Although in my case I always seem to be cold Smile )

Where I live we have lots of snow on the ground right now and 20' degrees is just too cold to walk outside. I am really tired of winter. I read an article that said our metabolisms slow in the winter. So really us humans do have our own version of hibernating. We become much less active and have more insulation. It's a pity. Sigh!
I got an exercise video that is a bit too advanced, but I thought I could try some of the exercises a few at a time and work my way up to not being an embarressment to myself. Smile Congratulations on the 32 lbs. Hooray! That is super. I think if I lost weight my boobs would look bigger. laugh. What are your measurements?
I am 5'.5" weigh 147 lbs ( 2 yrs ago I was 175 lbs)
I wear a 34 B bra, but it is a very unsatisfying 34 B. They do not look full or youthful. They look better in a bra.
I have really been enjoying learning about all the different herbs and supplements. I tried Yerbe Mate tea in Sept and lost 5 lbs. but I was taking booby herbs too and someone told me the Yerbe Mate had too much caffeine to let the booby herbs work. I still drink it once in a great while though. It gives me energy.

Slimming pills
February 20 2006 at 10:08 PM Desert maiden (no login)

I think that every overweight person is reading stuff about slimming pills and thinking - is there truth in this? Does the stuff work? you think, maybe it`s time for me to try something? I`ve been thinking about it for some time... and found this forum. It's great to discuss these things before I plunge into anything isn't it? Any advice appreciated.

Author Reply
Whitney
(no login) Re: Slimming pills February 21 2006, 9:01 AM

The only way you can see lasting weight change is diet and exercise way.

I think a lot of these products are selling hope.

People want to reduce their weight without having to put in any effort.

That is precisely the way that these product sells.

I think even prescription drugs is not a good way to lose weight.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon