Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

[archive] Ephedra

Ephedra
May 23 2006 at 10:16 AM Cutie Pie  (Login cutie.pie)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello , what is the position with ephedra now? Is it still banned? Someone told me it was banned, but someone else told me it was allowed now. What is the situation?

Author Reply
Martha
(no login) Re: Ephedra May 23 2006, 1:25 PM 

Ephedra is back! I know a lot of people were very upset when ephedra was taken off the market and missed it badly. Well now it's back. Doses of 10mg are now legal.

Edit Message  Delete Message   

Elizabeth
(no login) Re: Ephedra May 24 2006, 8:38 PM 

Are you sure? Where did you hear that? I haven't heard anything about ephedra sine it was banned in 2003. Is it really not banned anymore? THat would be surprising.

Martha
(no login) Re: Ephedra May 25 2006, 8:49 PM 

I heard it on the news. 10mg dose daily is now allowed by law.

Rachel
(no login) Re: Ephedra May 28 2006, 11:06 AM 

Ephedra has been back on the market for a while now but it doesn't seem to have attracted that much publicity. Nobody seems to be promoting it very hard or making a big deal out of it, I'm not sure why. The main thing is, certain supplements, herbs, even foods are not well tolerated by certain people. All drugs are toxic if taken to the extreme, even vitamins. Ephedra is well documented as being useful for weight loss but shouldn't be taken by someone with high blood pressure for instance. So, what happens when someone who's in a less than optimal state chooses to take foods or supplements and they end up sick? The authorities blame one of the substances that person took and rush to yank it from the market. It's a funny thing, but they rarely yank a pharmaceutical product, even with hundreds of deaths a year (sigh). Ephedra is simply too useful to remain a banned substance so it's now back on the market. A fuss about nothing as usual. Remember, straight Ephedra is usually a bit harsh, which is why mixing it with other herbs is helpful.

Desert Queen
(Login desertqueen)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Ephedra May 29 2006, 3:47 PM 

I hear Ephedra mentioned a lot, but that is mainly because there are so many products claiming to be ephedra free. I've always had the impression thatrightly or wrongly ephedra has a terrible name now.

Elizabeth
(no login) Re: Ephedra June 4 2006, 7:55 AM 

The FDA ban of 2003 took effect in April 2004, but was lifted a year later for the amount of ephedra mentioned above. However, it should be pointed out that dietary supplements containing ephedra are illegal anyway in California, New York and Illinois. The lifting of the FDA ban does not affect these states as ephedra is banned under their own laws.

Tracey
(no login) Re: Ephedra January 17 2007, 7:23 AM 

What happened with ephedra is that a company took the FDA to court to challenge the ban, saying it had been used for years and years without any problems and the FDA couldn't prove there was any problem. The court agreed, but ephedra opponents have said that the language used in the court order applies to only a specific, lower-dosage segment of the market. The ruling's final page prohibits the FDA from enforcing the ban on ephedra supplements containing 10 milligrams or less (which was the dosage of the company's own ephedra product).

LovelyAmanda
(Login LovelyAmanda)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Ephedra January 18 2007, 6:08 AM 

Hi everyone,

I've been taking ephedrine on and off for about a year and a half now. It was illegal and as people have mentioned, all products containing ephedra had to eliminate it such as, Stacker and other weight loss/weight-training products. I stumbled upon it last year becaue a friend of mine was taking "Mini Ephedrine" which is sold in gas stations and online. My local gas station sells similar products such as, "Ephedrine Plus." How did they get away with it? As long as the product was not not marketed as a weight loss supplemnet or anything close to it, it could be sold in gas stations and similar places. The sellers market it as something similar to Tylenol. The labels say that it is for people who are suffering from bronchitis or a reocurring cough due to bult-up mucous. The labels say that ephedrine promotes better breathing by loosening the mucous etc. A pack of these pills are usualy cheap--$2-10.00. Also, ephedrine is extracted from a herb that can be found in some teas and it is called Ma Huang. The Chinese have been using it for years and I'm sure the teas weren't banned. Like I said, many people don't realize that ephedrine can be found in many differnt places.

I don't take it nearly as much as I used to, but 1-2 pills makes one feel that they're high on caffeine and it can cause nervousness. Some websites recommend taking ephedrine with caffeine and aspirin to make your own fat-burning energizing supplement. They're called "ETC" stackers. Like anything, this should be taken in moderation and only to help achieve weight loss for a short period of time.

I don't know if this information is useful for anyone, but I'm a part of the breast enhancement forum and stumbled into this one for some new weight loss tips. I saw the word ephedra and immediately jumped on it because I'm a fan of it. Yes, it can be dangerous and it is definitely not recommended in high doses, especially with heavy exercise.

Good luck to all,
Amanda

Zorabian
(no login) Re: Ephedra January 26 2007, 10:14 AM 

Good post LovelyAmanda, you explained things really great, well done. Yes the Chinese have used ephedra for 5,000 years! When the FDA condemned it the news media got into a frenzy about it, displaying the kind of lynch mob mentality they're so good at. But no way did ephedra deserve the bad rap! The FDA cited evidence of a few individuals who abused this herb, but why should the evidence of a few bad apples be allowed to spoil our right to use ephedra? Thank goodness the FDA was defeated on this one.

LovelyAmanda
(Login LovelyAmanda)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Ephedra February 1 2007, 2:17 AM 

Thanks so much, Zorabian Smile

Sissy
(Login sissy2345)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Ephedra February 1 2007, 2:28 AM 

What is a safe amount to take just for a little diet aide? Or a good brand?

Amanda
(Login LovelyAmanda)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Ephedra June 19 2007, 11:09 PM 

Hi Sissy,

I'm not sure if you're still reading this thread--I haven't been on in awhile and I just noticed your question, my apologies. A lot depends on your statistics, for an example, your overall size and what your tolerance is. If you're an individual who regularly incorporates stimulants into your diet (caffeine and things of that nature) then you can safely start off with 25 mg 1 to 2 times a day for an off/on period. However, if you're sensitive to stimulants, then I would start off with 1/2 to a whole pill a day. That is what I usually do if I've been off of ephedrine for a few months. If you're still a little apprehensive, there are brands that sell ephedrine in 10 mg increments. This is way too low for me, but it may not be fore someone who is just starting.

It is also important to realize that the body will build up a tolerance to it, and will not receive the same effects from lower dosages over time. In this case, I usually take it for a week or 2 (just enough to jump-start my diet and exercise routine) and then stop to cleanse my body. The good news is that after your rest period, your body will respond to lower dosages once again.
For people who are more experienced ephedrine users, it is suggested that you don't take more than 75 mg a day. 75 may sound like a lot, but it easy to keep upping the dosage because, like I said, your body will build up a tolerance.

For a little more food for thought, when done correctly, the EpedrineAspirinCaffeine stack is effective and helpful for weight loss and exercise. The caffeine gives an extra energy boost and the aspirin will help keep ephedrine in the bloodstream longer. Because ephedrine has the tendency to leave the body fairly quickly via urine, the aspirin can sometimes be helpful. But above all, when first beginning this wonderful herb, pay attention to how your body reacts to it. If your heart is racing or you feel too jittery, just lower your dosage. Any supplement can be dangerous, just be smart about it.

Best,
Amanda

Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no
June 7 2006 at 9:13 AM Sarah (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard so much conflicting story about Ephedra. I wanted to ask are you for it or against it and can you say why? I'm really interested to know this. This is the kind of subject that forums are for.

Author Reply
Rose
(no login) Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no June 11 2006, 7:25 PM

Ephedra or ma huang is used in dietary supplements to reduce weight, boost energy, and improve athletic performance. There is actually no evidence that it produces long-term weight loss. Researchers have known for years about the dangers of ephedra, which contains the chemical ephedrine. This was used as an asthma drug, until doctors stopped prescribing it because of its dangerous effects on the heart and blood pressure. The synthetic form of another ephedra ingredient, pseudoephedrine, is still used in many over-the-counter decongestants, which carry warning labels and are meant for only short-term use. Though especially risky for people who have high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease, ephedra can cause serious reactions in even apparently healthy young people. It’s often combined with other stimulants, such as caffeine, which can amplify the herb’s effects and increase the dangers. Such products have been linked to deaths, including many young athletes, and many reports of serious health problems. A recent study found that ephedra was responsible for 64% of all reports of adverse reactions to herbs.

Edit Message Delete Message

russell
(no login) Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no September 24 2006, 8:36 AM

wasn't it banned a while back? it can't be banned now because i saw it on sale recently, but wasn't it banned for a time? if it's not banned anymore it must be okay don't you think? if it's being allowed again?

Zorabian
(no login) Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no January 26 2007, 10:16 AM

There's another thread about ehpedra that explains that the ban has been lifted now (thank goodness the FDA was defeated on that one). Given that the Chinese have been using ephedra for 5,000 years, it's a bit shameful that the FDA was so forceful in its opinion that any amount of ephedra is harmful!

Alice
(no login) Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no May 21 2007, 10:34 AM

I believe the dangers of ephedra and ephredrines have been exaggerated and most of the negative reports about it are scare stories more than anything. However having said that I have to say I am not a fan of it for weight loss because I don't think there's any evidence that it helps with that. I personally would not buy an ephedra product for weight loss, not because of some people suggesting it could be dangerous, but simply because for someone trying to lose weight I think it's unlikely that this is the answer.

HS29
(Login HS29) Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no May 22 2007, 4:10 AM

I did Herbalife for a very short period a long time ago and I gotta tell ya- I did not like it, not one bit. My heart would race- not a comfortable feeling at all. The program sucked and was expensive anyways- I was ALWAYS hungry- but I did lose a little weight. And then gained it back again. It wasn't worth it.

These days I am a fan of good ol' fashion proper eating and exercise. Smile

Christina
(no login) Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no May 31 2007, 8:20 AM

I really don't like any products which are stimulants intended to boost the metabolic rate. I know some people claim to have lost weight on herbalife and similar products, but I've heard of many who say they didn't lose anything. I really feel that these kind of products are not the best way of trying to lose weight and there are much better options. Ephedra may have useful effects but they are not really good for weight loss.

Black Sheep
(no login) Zorabian... June 20 2007, 9:43 AM

Ephedra or ma huang might have been used by the Chinese for 5000 years, but so has Opium. Doesn't guarantee that it's safe, does it?

Why do people rather pop pills than live a healthy lifestyle? If you stop being lazy taking the car wherever you go, give up your peanutbutter&jelly sanwiches, big burgers and coca cola, you'll lose weight naturally.

S.A.
(no login) Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no June 21 2007, 10:26 AM

Well I think the point is that ephedra has not been used for that long anyway for weight loss. It may have been used by the Chinese for 5000 years but not for that purpose. It should be noted that it was not a popular weight loss ingredient until the 1980's. In other words, practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine do not use ephedra as a weight loss ingredient and neither do the ancient texts describe this use.

LovelyAmanda
(Login LovelyAmanda)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Are you a fan of EPHEDRA yes or no June 22 2007, 2:17 AM

Black Sheep or Kat,

If you're against "popping pills" as opposed to "living a healthy lifestyle" then why are you on the breast enhancement forum popping pills? I can use the same argument: Accept your body for what it is and accept the way it is naturally. Secondly, if you're so quick to insult anyone here who may want to get natural weight loss tips, then why don't you use your own advice and drop the PB&J sandwiches and start taking the car less to get rid of that cellulite you gained from popping pills to enlarge your breasts.

Black Sheep
(no login) "Lovely" Amanda July 8 2007, 4:02 PM

I don't pop pills for breast enlargement. Fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds are no pills. neither is soy and massage. Only if you live in the US, where AIR in pill form will soon be available. I bet the peanutbutter & jelly pill is already sold at Walmarts.

You said:
"I can use the same argument: Accept your body for what it is and accept the way it is naturally"

That is not a similar argument. I never said "Accept that you are fat", I said there are healthier ways to lose weight than using drugs - because that is what ephedra is.

For your information, I don't eat PB&J sandwiches, don't drive and don't have cellulite. And who was insulting who here?

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon