Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

About Progesterone Cream & Progesterone ( a post by Waxingmoon)

About Progesterone Cream & Progesterone ( a post by Waxingmoon)
December 14 2007 at 10:05 AM Durga (Login durga)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**I, Durga, am NOT the author of this post. It was written by Waxingmoon!**

(WM-I hope it's okay that I copied and posted this. I thought it would also be helpful here in the general reference pages...) Here it is (excerpted from the"progesterone cream" thread, August 2007):
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All you ever wanted to know about progesterone...

...but were afraid to ask waxingmoon because she is entirely too long winded and doesn't know when to shut up... lol

No, really - here comes a long post filled with info and strange humor (consider yourself warned)

Progesterone cream aka Natural progesterone cream in order to distinguish it from artificial progesterone (progestin) - is derived from wild yam in the lab. It is bio-identical to our own progesterone we produce. This means the molecules are the same and the body uses natural progesterone cream the same way it uses body made progesterone. This is not the case for artificial progesterone - the kind given in birth control pills. That molecule most resembles testosterone. It does connect to the progesterone receptors, but it is unable to produce the progesterone effect in the body. When a woman is on birth control pills with artificial progesterone, using natural progesterone cream does not help them because the progesterone receptors are already filled with the artificial stuff.

Our body makes progesterone each month after ovulation. In the ovary the egg ruptures from its follicle during ovulation. The follicle that remains becomes the corpus luteum which produces progesterone for the body. If a woman has a cycle where she does not ovulate, she does not produce progesterone through the ovary. There is some progesterone made by the adrenal glands, but not as much as from the ovary.

The body uses progesterone to produce other hormones, estrogen and cortisol are two of them. The body releases cortisol to deal with stress. When a person is under a lot of stress they are using up a lot of cortisol and therefore also using up a lot of progesterone. This can lead to a progesterone imbalance.

Estrogen dominance is a term coined by Dr. John Lee MD who described it in his books. He defined it as a state where a woman's body had too much available estrogen and not enough progesterone to balance estrogen effects. The symptom list is quite long (search estrogen dominance and you will find it all) - but some of the symptoms are thyroid imbalance, irregular periods, headaches, bad PMS... the list goes on and on... He said that estrogen dominance could be caused from several reasons. 1. Too much estrogen in the body and a normal amount of progesterone. 2. Normal estrogen and not enough progesterone. 3. Low estrogen and even lower progesterone.... and that's all I remember at the moment. He gives an outline of how to treat estrogen dominance by using natural progesterone cream. His books go by the name "What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause" and there is another one about menopause. They are great books for anyone who is thinking about using natural progesterone cream.

Progesterone has multiple effects in our body. Of interest to those trying NBE is that progesterone activates estrogen receptors. Without progesterone we have many estrogen receptors that just sit there doing nothing. Progesterone wakes them up and then those estrogen receptors will hook up with estrogen molecules and produce estrogen results.

Many women have reported breast growth when using normal amounts of progesterone cream in order to treat their estrogen dominance. The usual amount of growth is one cup size, but some experience two cup size increases. Not everyone experiences this effect.

You don't use progesterone every day. Starting about day 12 through the first day of the period the cream is applied. It is placed on thin skinned areas and the areas are rotated so absorption is increased. The amount varies based on the reason for the use. 20mg is considered a normal amount, but some women use more, especially when first treating estrogen dominance. It is not suggested to be applied to areas with high body fat, because progesterone cream can be stored in body fat. The idea is to put it into circulation without creating an excess storage. However, there are some who advise placing it on fat areas, especially the breast. Keep in mind, the more often you put the progesterone cream on an area, the less you absorb. It is best to mostly use thin skinned areas and if you want to put it on the breast do it at most every 3rd day.

Wild yam cream or pill form will not ever do the same thing as natural progesterone cream. Our bodies cannot make progesterone from wild yam cream - that only happens in the lab. Wild yam cream has an estrogenic effect. It does not promote progesterone in any way. When choosing a natural progesterone cream, chose one that states 'USP' grade on the label. This means the progesterone is bio-identical to what your body produces. Some creams have wild yam on the label and they DO have USP grade progesterone in them. READ THE LABEL. That is the only way you will know what you are getting.

WILL PROGESTERONE CREAM MAKE YOUR BREASTS BIGGER??? Now what kind of question is that??? lol Nobody knows how it will affect you. You may try it and it will work. It is more likely to work if you have estrogen dominance symptoms than if you don't.

IS PROGESTERONE CREAM SAFE?? Wellllll..... Yes and no. And it depends on who you ask. Per Dr. John Lee, normal amounts (20mg) are safe and very unlikely to lead to any problems. However, progesterone cream is banned in California and in Europe. There is some evidence to support it is implicated in enhancing the growth of cancers that are estrogen sensitive (remember how progesterone turns on estrogen receptor?) So if you have or have had a cancer that is estrogen sensitive, do not use progesterone cream.

IF I IGNORE ALL THIS GREAT INFO AND SLATHER GREAT BIG HEAPING GOBS OF PROGESTERONE CREAM ON MY BREASTS WILL THEY GET BIGGER ???? BECAUSE YOU KNOW I AM REALLY DESPERATE AND I AM WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING NO MATTER HOW FOOLISH OR RISKY!!! Come on! Do you hear yourself? Get a grip! Nothing is worth risking your health over. The last thing you want is for people to be talking about your a great big pair of boobs while looking down at your corpse at your funeral (Didn't I warn you about my sense of humor...)

If you want to try progesterone cream then read more about it. I listed an author and he is great - he does not talk about NBE but you will learn a lot about your body in other ways. Do not believe everything you read on the internet. There are some well meaning but misguided people out there as well as some misguiding mean people out there.

Except for me.. everything I tell you is absolutely believable and well meaning and well guided... Yes and entirely too long winded and the humor is sometimes painful... but hey if you got this far then you might now know something you didn't know before... and if that's not the case then I will refund your money... lol

Best wishes,
waxingmoon (the one who grew an inch using progesterone cream and a few other things you will find out about if you read her program page but by no means is she guaranteeing you will get the same results and anyway we hear that an inch one HER chest is really just below the starting point of most people who do NBE and we are waiting to see if she grows any more and if she does she BETTER post some before and after pics if she expects anyone to believe her long winded stories....)

yeah, that's about it...

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon