Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Estrogen dominance, hormone disruptors & their negative effects on NBE

Estrogen dominance, hormone disruptors & their negative effects on NBE
July 8 2009 at 11:14 PM
Bella (Login BellaBB)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello newbies! I posted this on the Main Forum about a week ago but decided to heed waxingmoon's advice and post it here as well. Smile

I have been doing a lot of thinking about estrogen dominance lately and how common it seems to be among women these days. I truly believe that one of the major causes for this is due to the hormone disruptors (also known as endocrine disruptors) that we encounter every single day of our lives. As many of you already know, these hormone disruptors often imitate estrogen and bind to receptors where natural estrogen should be attaching. This can cause estrogen dominance and many other health problems. Most of these chemicals are fat soluble and not easily flushed out of the body.

Here are just a few of the hormone disrupting chemicals we come in contact with daily and some common sources:

-Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's): animal fats (non-organic meat & dairy), fish

-Bisphenol A: polycarbonate plastics (used to make food and beverage containers) and epoxy resins; white dental fillings, nail polish, food packaging, lenses (eye and safety glasses), adhesives, water pipe linings and flooring. BPA is an ingredient in resins used for lining cans of food and has been found to leach into certain food products e.g. peas, mixed vegetables, mushrooms.

-Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE's): fish, adhesives, electronics, furniture, paints and coatings, carpet pads, synthetic clothing, televisions, computer casings, cell phones

-Phthalates: deodorant, fragrances, hand lotion, insect repellent, shampoo, soap, nail polish, adhesives, detergents, flooring, inks, paints and coatings, plastics, rubber

-Dioxin: animal fats (non-organic meat & dairy), fish, bleached paper products including coffee filters, milk and juice cartons, and diapers

-Parabens: preservatives in most cosmetics, personal care products (deodorants, shampoos, toothpastes, moisturisers) and some foods and drinks (pie fillings, beers, jams, pickles)

-Etylene dioxide: antifreeze, polyester, solvents, detergents, and polyurethane foam. It is also used as a fumigant (foods and spices), as a steriliser (medical and dental), and for pest control (textiles, books, furniture, product packaging). It is found in breast implants (as a result of the sterilising process), food residues, pest control products, cosmetics and food packaging.

-Pesticides: conventional food, insecticides, termiticides, disinfectants, lawn & garden products, etc.

-Organochlorines: vast range of everyday products from pesticides to plastics, detergents, cosmetics, bleaches and shampoos

There are low doses of hormone disrupting chemicals in thousands of products. I don't believe that the small amounts themselves are too detrimental. The problem is that we use many of these products every single day and all of those small amounts of chemicals begin to add up.

It is quite remarkable how many products containing hormone disrupting chemicals that the average woman might use every day. For example:

Hair products
Lotion
Soap/Body wash
Deodorant
Shaving cream
Toothpaste
Makeup
Sunscreen
Nail polish
Non-organic food
Drinks (aluminum cans, plastic bottles)
Tampons & pads
Bleached coffee filters or tea bags
Household cleaners
Laundry detergent

It is pretty much impossible to avoid every hormone disrupting chemical and I think it would be extremely frustrating to even try to!! We would all go insane or worry ourselves to death about every little thing we ingested, put on ourselves, or even did for that matter! Instead I believe that as with everything in life, moderation is the key. Sometimes we might not have control over the environmental sources that we encounter, but we can control what we put in and on our bodies.

I have a degree in Biology so I like science and have always been interested in how the body works and how nutrients, chemicals, etc. effect it. Holistic nutrition has always been a passion of mine so I am always studying and trying to learn as much as I can. I am 31 years old now and for the last 10 years, I have been careful and aware of what goes into and onto my body. I am in no means super strict about it, I just try to educate myself and then do the best that I can.

Here are some ways that I reduce my exposure:
-eat organic food & locally grown when possible
-drink purified water (from 4-stage filtration system - filters out metals, pathogens, chlorine, fluoride, chloramine, etc) (purchased from www.pwgazette.com)
-have a chlorine filter on my shower (purchased from the same place mentioned above)
-use only glass containers to drink out of and store food and water
-do not use the microwave (I use my toaster oven to reheat food) (if you do use microwave, don't reheat in plastics, and try to avoid cooking meat or eggs in the microwave)
-use organic cosmetic brands that use as few endocrine disrupting chemicals as possible
-use unbleached coffee filters
-use natural deodorant (without chemicals, parabens, aluminum) (one of my fav's is Tropical Traditions made with coconut oil)
-use loose tea leaves (instead of tea bags)
-use chlorine-free organic tampons & pads (Seventh Generation is a good brand)
-use vinegar, baking soda, & tea tree oil to clean my house
-use castille soap (Dr. Bronner's peppermint is my favorite!!)
-brush my teeth with baking soda and tea tree oil
(I used to get cavities all of the time even though I brushed regularly with normal toothpaste. I was just prone to getting them my dentist said! Well ever since I switched to brushing with baking soda and tea tree oil about 10 years ago I have NEVER had another cavity and my teeth have never been whiter!!)

I have never been estrogen dominant and I feel that my lifestyle most likely has something to do with this. Also PM has worked wonderfully for NBE for me and I believe this could be because I'm not estrogen dominant and my hormones were not too out of whack before I started taking PM. (FYI... I was a bit androgen dominant and had some acne so my hormones weren't completely balanced. Now after taking PM for a while, my hormones are regulated, I hardly ever have a zit, & my periods are pain-free)

I feel that getting your hormones more in balance before you start any NBE program is only gonna help its success. And one of the easiest (to me anyway!) and best things you can do to help balance your hormones is to begin reducing your exposure to hormone disruptors. There are so many little things that you can do, especially when you are aware. You don't have to worry yourself over it or dwell on negative thoughts about it. You definitely don't want to add any stress to your life because that can disrupt your hormones as well! Just be aware & do what you can to reduce your exposure. Here is an interesting article on how to do that: http://www.wsn.org/cbe/hormone.html

Here are two more great websites:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com
http://www.ewg.org/

Thank you for reading! This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately and I felt compelled to share my thoughts! I would love to hear what any of you have to think about this issue as well!

XOXO,
Bella

Author Reply
cindy
(no login) Re: Estrogen dominance, hormone disruptors & their negative effects on NBE September 19 2009, 6:15 AM

The sure way to overcome estrogen dominance is natural progesterone cream. The exogenous estrogens Bella speaks of...try to avoid.

Dr J

estrogen and estrogen dominance?
March 30 2007 at 8:49 AM cherasia (Login cherasia)
Hi, I'm still abit confuse with the difference betw. excess estrogen and estrogen dominance. Can any one explain? what is Cortisol deficiency? How can i help myself to balance my hormones?

If one have excess estrogen or estrogen dominance, they shouldn't be taking phtoestrogen herb isn't it??

I take progesterone cream. It says to help balance hormones. How long must i take to balance hormones. I have been taking for 3 months.

I don't have enough sleep cause by worry and anxiety. sometime low blood suger because i sometimes black out. and sometimes taking some sweets helps me.

my stomach bloat sometimes due to air in it. maybe never eat enough. i have heavy bleeding when period comes but now better after applying progesterone cream.

I will have very low mood sometimes. maybe abit of anxiety depression. my memory are not as good as last time due to medication of anxiety disorder.

I don't know where to put myself in, excess estrogen or estrogen dominance?? I believe i also have cortisol deficiency due to not enough sleep, tired body.

what should i do to correct and balance it??

oh ya i normally will have late period but after using progesterone cream . it has improve

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
Re: estrogen and estrogen dominance?
March 30 2007, 9:56 AM

Have a looky here -

http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_fo...terone.cfm

And the other side of the coin -

http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/es...inance.asp

The more I study NBE, the more I feel that taking in extra estrogens is wrong and bad for us long term.

YES - Estrogen stimulates tissue growth and lays down fat cells, but this is usually from the waist down. Some girls will be lucky and gain some fat cells in their breasts.......but at what cost if, like they say, excess estrogen can cause breast cancer, tumours and heaven knows what else.

YES - Estrogen will cause breast tenderness. Could this side-effect actually be the tingles and pains we girls crave, mistaking it for breast growth?

Another thing too is that most girls, pre-NBE never do daily or frequent measures of their breasts. As soon as we start doing pills, we measure lots to see how things are progressing. Now, regardless of NBE or not, most womens breasts swell from day 14 to day 28 of their cycle. So naturally we assume we are seeing results and we are happy to continue. But the swelling that happens from day 14 to 28 is due to increased progesterone, which kicks in on the lead up to menstruation. Then day 1 comes around, the progesterone has done its job in the cycle......bleeding starts, progesterone levels drop way down, then our natural estrogen kicks back in, building to a peak at day 14.

I may be starting to sound anti-NBE lately, but the more I study, the more cautious I'm becoming. The whole process is very much a case of roundabouts and swings.

Swelling will usually happen 14 days out of 28. Estrogen does stimulate tissue growth, but not always where you want it. If it happens in the breasts then hey, it's a bonus right. This is what we want..........or is it?

What if in the long run we do develop cancers etc. Does vanity come before health?

After 12 months plus of NBE, lots of trials and lots of study, for now, I feel safer trying to balance my own hormones out with vitex, than adding any more estrogens and progesterones.

Love

=^_^= x

This message has been edited by faerycat on Mar 30, 2007 9:57 AM

Anonymous
(no login)
March 30 2007, 10:55 AM

Faerycat with vitex don't you think that you are messing your hormones too?Is vitex completely safe and non-cancerous?I am thinking about trying it.I guess I don't have any hormonal imbalance from the online tests.I only have irregular periods,period pains ,anxiety and sometimes insomnia.

Anonymous
(no login)
March 30 2007, 1:02 PM

Irregular periods/missing periods can cause estrogen dominance - your body doesn't break down the lining to cause a period due to lack of progesterone... yet estrogen builds up in the same way it normally would - so become estrogen dominant.

I read this on Dr. lee's page.

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 30 2007, 1:35 PM

Hi,

Yes, there is every chance I am messing with my hormones, but unlike many of the other herbs, vitex doesn't add or overload your system with phytoestrogens or progesterone. It works on the pituitary gland to help the body balance itself.

I've done the fenugreek and the fennel and the PM and blah-di-blah and went into estrogen overload. Apart from turning me into a zombie, I gained a lardy lower ass and thighs. Have been pounding out at the gym for hours and hours a week, walking, being extra mega careful about my diet. Have even cut out the red wine *BIG SIGH* and no matter what I am doing, I can't shift these few extra horrible estrogenic pounds :-{

Hormones appear to be something that hasn't really been fully studied and that no one really understands them. Dr Lee thinks he does, but if you read the other side of the coin, other so-called experts dispute some of what he says.

x

cherasia
(no login)
March 30 2007, 4:17 PM

then wat should i do to increase breast size..my band only 25+5=30" and cup only 26 = 30aaaaaa so flat....since increase estrogen is not so good somemore chances are increase fat on the bottom down. What other choice i can take then?

cherasia
(Login cherasia)
March 30 2007, 4:18 PM

then wat should i do to increase breast size..my band only 25+5=30" and cup only 26 = 30aaaaaa so flat....since increase estrogen is not so good somemore chances are increase fat on the bottom down. What other choice i can take then?

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 30 2007, 5:22 PM

cherasia,

There is every chance that estrogen will increase your breast size. It has worked for me and many, many of the girls here. But there is a chance that it will increase fatty tissue in other areas too.

As for its safety, I cannot say for sure. Not sure if anyone really can. It would be nice to think this will not cause any long term damage.......and who knows? It's just the more I study the subject, the more wary I become.

Other ways to increase size would be massage and eating booby friendly foods.

Good luck!

estrogen dominance
November 15 2006 at 2:35 PM anna (Login anna-a)
I did a hormonal profile test and it suggested that I might have estrogen dominance (insomnia weight gain, anxiety, bloating...). What would you recommend: progesteron cream or taking dong quai or vitex to balance my hormones? I'm taking erdic, being only a 34A!

Thanks

anna
(Login anna-a)
Re: estrogen dominance
November 15 2006, 2:54 PM

I forgot to mention that my hormonal imbalance is probably quite serious, as 2 years I stopped taking bcp and have not had my periods for more than a year! Than I started taking bcp again. If I can resolve this, maybe may small breasts will grow a little bit? I'm desperate, does anyone has a tip?

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
November 16 2006, 12:24 AM

According to the Flat to Fab book, if you're estrogen dominate you can do the following:

1. Avoid toxins and second-hand hormones. Eat organic foods, drink only filtered water, avoid storing food in plastic containers (plastic is a big problem - hormone disrupting toxins).

2. Use progesterone for 2 weeks during the Luteal Phase (Days 14-28 of your cycle).

3. Use milk thistle (before starting NBE) to cleanse the liver (detox).

I hope this helps!

Anonymous
(Login chocmorsel)
November 16 2006, 12:49 AM

I am more concerned about the lack of a period for more than a year. Have you seen a doctor about that? Reason being, is that I am a medical student and just got off my OB rotation and I was just curious? Are you for example, overweight, with unwanted hair in the wrong places? If so, then there may be more to your situation than just small breasts. Don't mean to be funny, just curious. You should definetly be having a period, unless you are on depo provera, or without a uterus.

anna
(Login anna-a)
to Surf
November 16 2006, 6:49 AM

Dear Surf,

Thank you very much! I'm already taking Erdic for four months. Should I stop taking that and first do a cleanse or can I combine it?

Greets,

Anna

anna
(Login anna-a)
To chocmorsel
November 16 2006, 7:04 AM

Dear Chocmorsel,

I'm 5.5' (1.67m) and 123 Lbs, so I'm not overweight.

I had my periods when I was thirteen and that time, they were very regular for about two years. THEN I lost weight (to 103 Lbs, which is to low for me) and got an boulimia for six years... My periods stopped at the beginning, but I started to take bcp, so I had periods.
When I was 26 (I already had a healthy weight for 5 years!!) I stopped birth control, and as I already told...

The gyn did a blood test, she said my hormone level was rather low but I didn't have to worry, that it often happens that people are irregular when they stop taking birth control (I haven't told her about the boulimia because I'm VERY embaresed about that). But as a year is long, she just recommended taking bcp again.

I still have the feeling that there is something wrong, I have insomnia,very cold hands and feet, anxiety, feel tired very often... all symptoms leading to hormonal imbalance ir estrogen dominance or whatever...

As a doc, what would you do?

chocmorsel
(Login chocmorsel)
November 17 2006, 1:02 AM

Hey Anna,
Have your doctor check you thyroid levels because it sounds like you possibly might be hypothyroid. And that would explain the problems with your symptoms as well. The other possibility that I was eluding to was polycystic ovarian syndrome, but you don't fit the criterial for that. Anyway, sounds alot like thyroid problems. And if that's the case, you just take a pill a day and that gets your body back to functioning correctly and your period goes back to normal. Good luck. Make sure you explain your symptoms to your doc.

anna
(Login anna-a)
November 17 2006, 6:51 AM

Dear chocmorsel,

I'm going to visit my doctor next week. You might be right! My mother takes pills for hypothyroid function and I guess it might be heritable.. Thank you for your help and good luck to you to!

faith_full
(Login faith_full)
November 17 2006, 9:00 AM

sorry, just wondering but how do you work out hormone dominance? I confuses me, i've looked at one of those list type tests but they dont make much sense, as some of the symptoms are in each list and so couldn't symptoms easily be comfused and end up with getting it wrong. Also they could all be signs of others things and have nothing to do with our hormones *confussled*

anna
(Login anna-a)
to faithfull
November 17 2006, 9:45 AM

Hey Faith,

I did the test on www.johnleemd.net. The symptoms in some lists are indeed overlapping, I had a lot of symptoms of group 1 and group 3, those two groups together suggest estrogen dominance. I also agree with you that these symptoms could reflect other problems, but I think that our hormones more or less mirror our general health
In my case there is certainly something wrong with my hormones since I don't get my periods when I stop taking my bcp.. For you, this is likely also the case as you are very thin. (Sorry, don't mean to be rude and don't want to hurt you! If any one knows what you're going through it's probably me)
Anyway, as chocmorsel adviced (she's more experienced in this as she is a doctor) it will be better to also visit a doctor to check underlying causes (like thyroid function in my case) ...

Best wishes and good luck to you!!

Anna

Anonymous
(Login faith_full)
November 17 2006, 12:58 PM

I'd definatly agree with getting it checked with the doctor about it. If you havnt got a peroid there is something not right. But if its birth control your on sometimes when you come off it your peroids can stop because your body isnt used to not having whats in the pills. Hope you get it sorted.

Estrogen Dominance
February 10 2007 at 5:32 PM
Myjourney (Login Myjourney)
here is some info:

Correcting Estrogen Dominance

What assists in correcting estrogen dominance? Alternative health care makes the following suggestions:

Hormonal support with a natural progesterone cream
Nutritional supplements to ensure your body has the nutrients it needs to make and balance its hormones. These nutrients tend to be low when estrogen is high:
Magnesium
Zinc
Vitamin B Complex
Vitamin E 400 IU for breast tenderness and fibroid inflammation
DIM and/or Myomin to metabolize excess estrogen
Dietary and environmental changes to rid yourself of phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens (environmental estrogens)
Lifestyle changes to manage the stresses in your life
Natural Progesterone
Natural progesterone cream supplements low progesterone levels and balances the ratio between estrogen and progesterone, thereby assisting in promoting proper hormone balance. It can be safely used by menstruating women, pre- and peri-menopausal women, and menopausal women. Men with estrogen dominance can also benefit from progesterone. Additionally, women who may not be highly estrogen dominant find that if a progesterone cream is used on a regular basis, their menses and PMS are less difficult.

DIM - Diindolylmethane
Diindolylmethane (DIM) is a powerful metabolizer of estrogen, assisting in removing excess estrogen and benefitting conditions associated with estrogen dominance. Supplementation with DIM can help promote proper estrogen levels through the pre- and peri-menopausal years, and in men experiencing higher estrogen levels. These conditions include uterine fibroid tumors, fibrocystic breasts, glandular dysfunction, and more. It can also benefit men by improving estrogen-dominance related health issues such as hair loss, atherosclerosis, prostrate problems, lowered libido and impotency. DIM also promotes testosterone action, which improves mood, fights depression, boosts libido, improves cardiovascular health, improves memory, and supports muscular development.

Myomin
Myomin is a formula of four Chinese herbs that promote proper hormonal balance. Like DIM, Myomin also metabolizes excess estrogens. Myomin inhibits aromatase, which can reduce levels of bad estrogens (estradiol and estrone), and promotes production of the good estrogen (estriol). For men and women, this action prevents the conversion of testosterone into bad estrogens, and leads to the unhindered production of more estriol from progesterone, DHEA and other hormones. Additionally, some of the herbs help promote shrinkage of tumors and cysts. Of the two, DIM is the stronger metabolizer of estrogen.

It is very important to understand that what may be true for one woman is not necessarily true for another. The journey of hormonal changes is an individual one. What this also implies is that the treatment for one individual can be quite different from that of another.

Website: http://www.energeticnutrition.com/vitalz...nance.html

Estrogen Dominance
February 23 2007 at 12:48 PM ShortCat (Login ShortCat)
Like myself. Thought I'd share this interesting article I found online:

To view the full text -- > http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_fo...ance.cfm#6

(an excerpt)
Estrogen Dominance

Estrogen and progesterone work in synchronization with each other as checks and balances to achieve hormonal harmony in both sexes. It is not the absolute deficiency of estrogen or progesterone but rather the relative dominance of estrogen and relative deficiency of progesterone that is main cause of health problems when they are off balance.

While sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone decline with age gradually, there is a drastic change in the rate of decline during the perimenopausal and menopausal years for the women in these two hormones as mentioned earlier.
From age 35 to 50, there is a 75% reduction in production of progesterone in the body. Estrogen, during the same period, only declines about 35%. By menopause, the total amount of progesterone made is extremely low, while estrogen is still present in the body at about half its pre-menopausal level.

With the gradual drop in estrogen but severe drop in progesterone, there is insufficient progesterone to counteract the amount of estrogen in our body. This state is called estrogen dominance. Many women in their mid-thirties, most women during peri-menopause (mid-forties), and essentially all women during menopause (age 50 and beyond) are overloaded with estrogen and at the same time suffering from progesterone deficiency because of the severe drop in physiological production during this period. The end result - excessive estrogen relative to progesterone, a condition we called estrogen dominance.
According to Dr. John Lee, the world's authority on natural hormone therapy, the key to hormonal balance is the modulation of progesterone to estrogen ratio. For optimum health, the progesterone to estrogen ratio should be between 200 and 300 to 1.

What is so bad about estrogen dominance? It is the root cause of a myriad of illnesses. Conditions associated with this include fibrocystic breast disease, PMS, uterine fibroids, breast cancer, endometriosis, infertility problem, endometrial polyps, PCOS, auto-immune disorders, low blood sugar problems, and menstrual pain, among many others.
Questions? Ask me.

Estrogen Dominance in Pre-menopausal Women

There are two periods in a women's life that her progesterone level is low - at puberty and again at peri-menopause ( the few years right before menopause). Between puberty and peri-menopause, the production of progesterone can go astray, leading to estrogen dominance as mentioned earlier. Between this period, estrogen dominance can also be the result of excessive external estrogen intake (from diet and environment) or internal estrogen production ( from obesity, birth control pills, or ovarian tumor).

Two common causes are:

A. Anovulation (lack of ovulation). Ovulation is the time of the month where an ovarian follicle releases an ovum (egg). Under normal condition, the released egg makes it way from the ovary to the uterus in preparation for fertilization. This usually happens from day 12 to day 14 of the menstrual cycle. After the egg is released, the empty follicle becomes the corpus luteum. This is the main factory where the production of progesterone takes place.

When the follicles become dysfunctional, no eggs are released. This is called anovulation. If a woman is not ovulating, there would not be a corpus luteum and therefore no increased progesterone production. Laboratory measurement would show both a low estrogen and a low progesterone level. Many still have a seemingly normal menstrual cycle even if there is no ovulation. The lack of progesterone, however, leads to relative estrogen dominance and symptoms like PMS, mood swings, cramps, and tender breast. Anovulation is commonly caused by exposure of female embryos to environmental estrogen (also called xenobiotic or xenoestrogen) such as pesticides, plastic, and pollution. It is often related to a poor diet and stress.

B. Luteal insufficiency. More frequent than anovulation, the egg is produced but the corpus luteum malfunctions. It just does not make enough progesterone. Laboratory measurements would show a high estrogen but low progesterone, and typical symptoms of estrogen dominance would arise. Without adequate progesterone, the chance of achieving pregnancy is reduced. Don't forget that progesterone is what keeps the womb going and it nourishes the fetus.
Causes of Estrogen Dominance

Our body normally functions in perfect homeostasis. With the advent of society and industrial state in the past 70 years, our body has been subjected to unprecedented insults from environmental estrogen-like hormones. In less than one hundred years, we have managed to turn our diet from whole fruits and whole food to fast and processed food. In the past, cattle were raised on grass and natural organic feed and chickens were allowed to run free. This is in stark contrast to the commercialization of cattle and poultry farms of today where animals are in cages most of the time. Worse yet, feeds laced with pesticides and hormones, both of which have estrogen-like activities, are routinely given to animals, which in turn is passed to humans.

Women in non-industrialized cultures whose diets are whole food based and are untainted with modern processed foods and pesticides seldom suffer a deficiency in progesterone and the signs of estrogen dominance manifested as menopausal symptoms.

(to be continued...)

ShortCat
(Login ShortCat)
Re: Estrogen Dominance
February 23 2007, 12:49 PM

Part 2

12 of the most common reasons:

1. Commercially raised cattle and poultry. These animals are fed estrogen-like hormones as well as growth hormone that are passed onto humans. It takes 60 pounds of grain, feed, and hay to produce one pound of edible beef. On the other hand, it only takes one pound of feed to produce one pound of edible fish. Deep-sea fish such as halibut, sardines, cod, and mackerel are good to consume. Young ones are often less contaminated than older fish, and smaller fish are better shielded from contamination than larger fish like sharks and swordfish. Avoid all coastal fish and shellfish, which are high in contaminants. Fish are far superior to beef or chicken in terms of hormone load. It is interesting to note that one-half of all antibiotics in the United States are used in livestock - 25 million pounds a year. These antibiotics can contribute to hormone disruptor exposure. The use of antibiotics is especially prevalent in poultry farms. It only takes 6 weeks now to grow a chicken to full size (down from four months in 1940). Up to 80,000 birds may be packed into one warehouse. Feeds used contain a myriad of hormone-disrupting toxins including pesticides, antibiotics, and drugs to combat disease when so many animals are packed closely together.

2. Commercially grown fruits and vegetables containing pesticides. If you eat in any developed countries, you are taking in pesticides from fruits and vegetables, many of which are known hormone disruptors. Approximately 5 billion pounds of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and other biocides are being added to the world each year. In the past 100 years, several hundred billions pounds of pesticides have been released into the environment. Pesticides that are banned in the US, such as DDT, are being used in some other countries freely. Illegal pesticides are being used on crops that we eat everyday. It is estimated that a person eats illegal pesticides 75 times a year just by following USDA's recommendation of five servings of fruits and vegetables a day if these are purchased in regular supermarkets. Vegetables grown in developing foreign countries such as South America and Africa find their way back to our dinner table in this global community. Pesticide residues have chemical structures that are similar to estrogen. These are eventually passed onto humans. Produce with the most pesticides reported in A Shopper's Guide to Pesticdes in Produce include strawberries (contain vinclozolin, a known endocrine disruptor), bell peppers, peaches, apples, apricots, and spinach. Foods with the least amount of pesticides include avocados, corn, onions, sweet potatoes, bananas, green onions, broccoli, and cauliflower. If you are eating non-organic fruits and vegetables, peel and wash them well with diluted vinegar. This will help to reduce pesticides on the surface. Needless to say, this will not help to rid of the pesticides inside. Discard the outer leaves of leafy vegetables, and trim fat from meat and skin from poultry and fish that tend to collect residues.

3. Exposure to xenoestrogen. When a female embryo develops in the womb, 500,000 to 800,000 follicles are created in the embryo, each enclosing an immature ovum. These fragile ovarian follicles are extremely sensitive to the toxicity of environmental pollutants. When the mother is exposed to toxic chemicals that resemble estrogen in its molecular structure, she may experience no apparent damage outwardly. However the baby is more vulnerable to these toxins that may damage its ovarian follicles and make them dysfunctional. This will not be apparent until the baby reaches puberty some 10 to 15 years later, when symptoms of incomplete ovulation or insufficient progesterone production can be noted.

Petrochemical compounds found in general consumer products such as creams, lotions, soaps, shampoos, perfume, hair spray and room deodorizers. Such compounds often have chemical structures similar to estrogen and indeed act like estrogen. Other sources of xenoestrogen include car exhaust, petrochemically derived pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides; solvents and adhesives such as that those found in nail polish, paint removers, and glues; dry-cleaning chemicals; practically all plastics, industrial waste such as PCBs and dioxins, synthetic estrogens from urine of women taking HRT and birth control pills that is flushed down the toilet and eventually found its way into the food chain and back into the body. They are fat soluble and non-biodegradable.

4. Industrial solvents. A common source of industrial xenoestrogens often overlooked is a family of chemicals called solvents. These chemicals enter the body through the skin, and accumulated quickly in the lipid-rich tissues such as myelin (nerve sheath) and adipose (fat). Some common organic solvents include alcohol like methanol, aldehydes like acetaldehyde, glycol like ethylene glycol, and ketones like acetone. They are commonly found in cosmetics, fingernail polish and fingernail polish remover, glues, paints, varnishes, and other types of finishes, cleaning products, carpet, fiberboard, and other processed woods. Pesticides and herbicides such as lawn and garden sprays, indoor insect sprays are also sources of minute amounts of xenoestrogens. While the amount may be small in each, the additive effect from years of chronic exposure can lead to estrogen dominance.

5. Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). HRT with estrogen alone without sufficient opposing progesterone such as the drug Premarin should be banned. This increases the level of estrogen in the body. Premarin, a estrogen only drug commonly used in the past 40 years, is the mainstay of estrogen replacement therapy (ERT). It is a patented, chemicalized hormonal substitute that is not the same as what you have in your body. It contains 48% estrone and only a small amount of progesterone which is insufficient to have an opposing effect. The indiscriminate and over-prescription of Premarin to many who may not need it is the problem. Symptoms include water retention, breast swelling, fibrocysts in the breast, depression, headache, gallbladder problems, and heavy period. The excessive estrogen from ERT also lead to increased chances of DNA damage, setting a stage for endometrial and breast cancer.

6. Over production of estrogen. Excessive estrogen can arise from ovarian cysts or tumors.

7. Stress. Stress causes adrenal gland exhaustion and reduced progesterone output. This tilts the estrogen to progesterone ratios in favor of estrogen. Excessive estrogen in turn causes insomnia and anxiety, which further taxes the adrenal gland. This leads to a further reduction in progesterone output and even more estrogen dominance. After a few years in this type of vicious cycle, the adrenal glands become exhausted. This dysfunction leads to blood sugar imbalance, hormonal imbalances, and chronic fatigue.

8. Obesity. Fat has an enzyme that converts adrenal steroids to estrogen. The higher the fat intake, the higher the conversion of fat to estrogen. Overeating is the norm in developed countries. A population from such countries, especially in the Western hemisphere where a large part of the dietary calorie is derived from fat, has a much higher incidence of menopausal symptoms. Studies have shown that estrogen and progesterone levels fell in women who switched from a typical high-fat, refined-carbohydrate diet to a low-fat, high-fiber and plant-based diet even though they did not adjust their total calorie intake. Plants contain over 5,000 known sterols that have progestogenic effects. People who eat more wholesome foods have a far lower incidence of menopausal symptoms because their pre- and post-menopause levels of estrogen do not drop as significantly.

9. Liver diseases. Liver diseases such as cirrhosis from excessive alcohol intake reduce the breakdown of estrogen. Taking drugs that can impair liver function may also contribute to a higher level of estrogen.

10. Deficiency of Vitamin B6 and Magnesium. Both of these are necessary for the neutralization of estrogen in the liver. Too much estrogen also tends to create deficiency of zinc, magnesium and the B vitamins. These are all important constituents of hormonal balance.

11. Increased sugar, fast food and processed food. Intake of these leads to a depletion of magnesium.

12. Increase in coffee consumption. Caffeine intake from all sources was linked with higher estrogen levels regardless of age, body mass index (BMI), caloric intake, smoking, alcohol, and cholesterol intake. Studies have shown that women who consumed at least 500 milligrams of caffeine daily, the equivalent of four or five cups of coffee, had nearly 70% more estrogen during the early follicular phase than women who consume no more than 100 mg of caffeine daily, or less than one cup of coffee. Tea is not much better as it contains about half the amount of caffeine as compared to coffee. The exception is herbal tea like chamomile which contains no caffeine.

In absolute terms, those who live in the developed world are bathed in a continuous sea of estrogen and do not know it. Yes, we all have hormonal imbalances, and specifically - estrogen dominance.

Anonymous
(no login)
February 25 2007, 12:49 PM

but, by taking so many herbs, we all have estrogen dominance. Right?

lil dunny
(Login lil_dunny)
February 26 2007, 9:28 PM

re: are we becoming more estrogen-dominant by using herbs. i've thought whether this might be the case also, and am currently experimenting using progesterone cream on days 14-28 of my cycle. haven't done it long enough to be able to tell how well that works

Anonymous
(no login)
February 27 2007, 6:53 AM

so does that mean being estrogen dominant will cause infertility problems? i would think it would make u more fertile???

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
fertility?
February 27 2007, 3:28 PM

Perhaps it could do either??? I've noticed my ovulation cycle a bit shorter since NBE...but I am estrogen dominant...so perhaps I am just evening things up. I think if I didn't want to get pregnant, I would be a bit concerned that the extra estrogen may in fact supercede my Birth Control pills...but I have no factual support of this. Every person is so different.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon