Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hormone Results, Advice

My partner recently got her hormone results back. I am looking for some advice on estrogen vs. Progesterone ratio. Her vales are technically within the “normal” boundaries for each, but estrodiol is on lower boundary, and progesterone is on the higher boundary. The parentheses include the reference values for each below.

First results panel are from day 4:

Estradiol: 139 pmol/L (follicular 77-921 pmol/L)
Progesterone: 1.0 nmol/L (follicular <1.7 nmol/L)
DHEA-S: 1.7 (<9.8 umol/L)
Testosterone: <0.4 (<1.8 nmol/L)
Ferritin: 27 (15-272 ug/L)
FSH: 7.1 IU/L (follicular 3-8 IU/L)
LH: 5.2 IU/L (follicular 2-12)
Cortisol AM: 266 (135-537 nmol/L)

Progesterone was tested again on day 21:
49.2 nmol/L (luteal 4.0-50.0 nmol/L)

I find interpreting these results fascinating. Looking for anyone’s insight. For context, you can read my introduction thread but the tldr is my partner is 35y.o. Cis woman done breastfeeding 4 months ago our 3rd child.

I think a day 21 test would be more useful.  Estrogen is supposed to be somewhat low on day 4 and progesterone is super low throughout follicular.  So measuring progesterone during follicular rarely tells you anything.

Thanks for having a look. Day 21 test was done but progesterone only. It was posted above but kinda got buried under the day 4 results. 

Progesterone was tested again on day 21:
49.2 nmol/L (luteal 4.0-50.0 nmol/L)

Were you indicating it would be useful to know the levels of other hormones at day 21 as well? 

Sorry I should have seen that.  I tried to look up reference ranges for early follicular and they were all over the place but I think the estrogen is only a little low for early follicular.  And yes the progesterone is high.  But both still in range.  Probably pueraria mirifica would be helpful as a strong phytoestrogen and unlike most she probably doesn’t want to use any progesterone cream with it.  Though later on she might try a small amount of PC and see if it is helpful.

Thanks that's kinda what we were thinking as well. Looking to start out slow on PM with 100mg daily and see what happens. I have read your opinion, Joe, on the more typical presentation of low progesterone and how PC cream/vitex can help a lot in most women. I am hopeful with my partner that her already having high progesterone (or high-ish) that if we bring estrogen levels up to match she will see some results.

Based on the results provided, progesterone levels are within the luteal phase range while estradiol levels are on the lower boundary of the follicular phase range. These results suggest that your partner's body is still recovering from pregnancy and breastfeeding. However, it is best to discuss these results with a healthcare provider who has a full understanding of your partner’s medical history and unique circumstances. They can provide a more personal interpretation and advice on any necessary steps to optimize her hormone levels.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon