Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Beauty standards around the world

(18-01-2021, 10:48 PM)ShelaVenna Wrote:  

If you look at art from the mid 19th century and earlier, it’s very rare to see woman with large breasts, even in art that’s clearly meant to be erotic or unrealistic. In the west and most of Asia, only heavier women were depicted with full breasts and hips, but it’s still very much in proportion to their over all body size. India seems to be the one of the few countries that has almost always depicted slim women with very large breasts and hips and tiny waists. Stylized western art from the middle ages seemed to strongly favor women with unusually small breasts relative to their body size. Realistic portraits showed women with much more normal proportions, which tells me that male artists with a less realistic style were intentially drawing smaller breasts than what they saw on women in real life. Plenty of Asian countries other than India also seemed  to strongly favor small breasts. I assume it was considered youthful and therefore attractive. I’m not an art expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it always struck me how small women’s breasts are in older art.

I had never thought to look at older art for a perspective like this. Very interesting.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Messages In This Thread
Beauty standards around the world - by dreamergirl - 17-01-2021, 04:36 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by ShelaVenna - 18-01-2021, 10:48 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by dreamergirl - 20-01-2021, 02:55 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by Happyme - 20-01-2021, 10:15 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by Nefertity - 21-01-2021, 12:29 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by dreamergirl - 03-04-2021, 07:10 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by Happyme - 15-04-2021, 01:56 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by dreamergirl - 16-04-2021, 12:08 PM
RE: Beauty standards around the world - by hannah - 30-04-2021, 08:20 PM