Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

PCB's destroys NBE

Greetings loved ones, Wink

How does Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) disrupt our endocrine (breast development)?. Well, some PCB's can destroy up 75% estrogen production, while others can mimic estradiol. Antifungals (e.g. ketoconazole) inhibit CYP17 (androgens) but also inhibit aromatase (and possible natural estradiol secretion). Other known side effects are fatigue, hypothyroidism, development issues, etc.

Testing is available, however, fast excretion (endocrine hormones) is something " we " as humans Rolleyes can do to regain our natural homeostasis.

'
Polychlorinated biphenyls: persistent pollutants with immunological, neurological, and endocrinological consequences.
Review article
Crinnion WJ. Altern Med Rev. 2011.
Show full citation
Abstract
Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are considered "persistent organic pollutants;" fat-soluble compounds that bioaccumulate in individuals and bio-magnify in the food chain. PCBs were the first industrial compounds to experience a worldwide ban on production because of their potent toxicity. These compounds are still present in our food supply (fish, dairy, hamburger, and poultry being the most contaminated) and our bodies. Once in the body, they can cause long-term problems, especially for those exposed in utero. PCB bioaccumulation can lead to reduced infection fighting ability, increased rates of autoimmunity, cognitive and behavioral problems, and hypothyroidism. Some research also links PCBs to increased rates of type 2 diabetes. Testing is currently available for some of the most damaging PCBs. The testing compares individual levels to national reference values and can be interpreted to determine current exposure. Dietary measures can be enacted that will reduce PCB half-lives in humans by increasing excretion.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21438643/

An excellent study here:

The Steroid Hormone Biosynthesis Pathway as a Target for Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
http://m.toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/conte...3.full.pdf

Steroid hormone synthesis is controlled by the activity of several highly substrate-selective cytochrome P450 enzymes and a number of steroid dehydrogenases and reductases. Particularly aromatase (CYP19), the enzyme that converts androgens to estrogens, has been the subject of studies into the mechanisms by which chemicals interfere with sex steroid hormone homeostasis and function, often related to (de)feminization and (de)masculinazation processes.

(04-05-2016, 01:40 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Greetings loved ones, Wink

How does Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) disrupt our endocrine (breast development)?. Well, some PCB's can destroy up 75% estrogen production, while others can mimic estradiol. Antifungals (e.g. ketoconazole) inhibit CYP17 (androgens) but also inhibit aromatase (and possible natural estradiol secretion). Other known side effects are fatigue, hypothyroidism, development issues, etc.

Testing is available, however, fast excretion (endocrine hormones) is something " we " as humans Rolleyes can do to regain our natural homeostasis.

'
Polychlorinated biphenyls: persistent pollutants with immunological, neurological, and endocrinological consequences.
Review article
Crinnion WJ. Altern Med Rev. 2011.
Show full citation
Abstract
Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are considered "persistent organic pollutants;" fat-soluble compounds that bioaccumulate in individuals and bio-magnify in the food chain. PCBs were the first industrial compounds to experience a worldwide ban on production because of their potent toxicity. These compounds are still present in our food supply (fish, dairy, hamburger, and poultry being the most contaminated) and our bodies. Once in the body, they can cause long-term problems, especially for those exposed in utero. PCB bioaccumulation can lead to reduced infection fighting ability, increased rates of autoimmunity, cognitive and behavioral problems, and hypothyroidism. Some research also links PCBs to increased rates of type 2 diabetes. Testing is currently available for some of the most damaging PCBs. The testing compares individual levels to national reference values and can be interpreted to determine current exposure. Dietary measures can be enacted that will reduce PCB half-lives in humans by increasing excretion.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21438643/

Hey there Lotus, can you please explain to me what pcb's are and how we avoid them? bc i really feel dumb when i read this and just want to understand it..Sad :p

Hi Hannah,

You've heard of BPA right?, well PCB's are much the same (although PCB production stooped years ago it still remains in our environment and food supply). These are man made chemicals that cause cancers, we created them, and humans are now polluted from these chemicals.

I'd start here, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlo...d_biphenyl (the information is solid.

The major human exposure route to BPA is diet, including ingestion of contaminated food and water.[158] Bisphenol A is leached from the lining of food and beverage cans where it is used as an ingredient in the plastic used to protect the food from direct contact with the can.[159] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

(04-05-2016, 07:00 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Hi Hannah,

You've heard of BPA right?, well PCB's are much the same (although PCB production stooped years ago it still remains in our environment and food supply). These are man made chemicals that cause cancers, we created them, and humans are now polluted from these chemicals.

I'd start here, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlo...d_biphenyl (the information is solid.

The major human exposure route to BPA is diet, including ingestion of contaminated food and water.[158] Bisphenol A is leached from the lining of food and beverage cans where it is used as an ingredient in the plastic used to protect the food from direct contact with the can.[159] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Thanks for explaining it to me hun, I've heard of bpa before though besides avoiding foods packaged in plastic and cans as much as I can. I feel we are kind of powerless in actually really prevemting it all...am I right? Or is there more we can do? Taking antioxidants?

Exactly how much one person can do seems limited in protecting themselves. Think how PCBs are in old coolants systems, older lighting ballasts, flame retardants, older schools and workplaces, and still in land from run offs, and finally in our food supplies. What's a person to do?, I'd start with educating ourselves about where these triggers are in our daily life, choose glass bakeware over plastics when microwaving, drink less bottled water, etc.

The thread is meant for awareness, that's all. Wink if anybody wants to chime in about what they do to protect themselves that would be awesome too. Big Grin

(04-05-2016, 01:40 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Greetings loved ones, Wink

. Antifungals (e.g. ketoconazole) inhibit CYP17 (androgens) but also inhibit aromatase (and possible natural estradiol secretion). Other known side effects are fatigue, hypothyroidism, development issues, etc.

I was aware of the inhibiting power of ketoconazole and the other azole family.. but wasn't aware that it also inhibits the aromatase and natural estradiol secretion.... good to know, thanks Lotus!

"Food is the main source of exposure to PCBs for the general population. Exposure occurs primarily by ingesting high-fat foods—such as dairy products, eggs, and animal fats—and some fish and wildlife."

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=30&po=6

So all the fat in my diet is from coconut, almonds, olive oil, 2 caps/day Ovega-3 algal EPA/DHA, and 7 caps/day of triple-strength lecithin (also called phosphatidyl choline supplements). Chicken breasts are a great way to get the health benefits of white meat without getting the toxins stored in animal fat, and gelatin gives you a purified way of getting the benefits of connective tissue. The lecithin is to meet the choline RDA. A drawback is that it's loaded with omega-6, but that can be compensated for with omega-3 since they compete with each other.

PCBs induce phase I detox (which makes carcinogens worse, but is necessary for phase II detox to work) so you can minimize the damage by boosting phase II detox so that it can keep up. This site lists some options.

Thanks Candace, nice post.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon