Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Herbs absorbed through the skin

Instead of taking my herbs as pills. . .
January 7 2007 at 3:55 AM Boobies06 (Login boobies06)

Instead of taking my herbs as pills. . .

Why don't I just massage them all on? You know, instead of taking them in capsule form in the morning, why not massage them on instead? There's so much stuff to block or stop the herbs from getting to the right spot. If I massage them on, they'll get absorbed through my skin and right into the targeted area.

Anonymous
(Login 4pomegranate)
Yes, but....
January 7 2007, 5:00 AM

The problem with that is the that the herbs would have to be absorbed into your skin. That's the hard part. It is possible. It's just that it's your skins job to keep things OUT of the body. It's very good at doing that too. If you do try this make sure you leave the mixture on as long as you can. Some people do it over night, wrapping saran wrap (plastic food wrap) around their busts. Also low heat opens the pores, so it is thought that can help with absorption as well. Good luck on whatever you choose!

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Here's another thought...
January 7 2007, 4:02 PM

Things that absorb well into the skin are usually fat soluble. That is one of the reasons progesterone cream works so well. Estrogen creams are not as fat soluble so they don't absorb as well.

Most herbs are probably not very fat soluble, so indeed absorption could be a problem. Also absorption into areas that contain high amounts of body fat always slows assimilation into the blood supply (the substance gets caught up in the body fat). So if you wanted to get maximum absorption, placing the herbs on thin skinned, less fat areas would be better.

Also, the 'target' area for the herbs may very well be the pituitary gland, not the breast itself. I know it is easy to think that the herbs work directly on the breast, but mostly they cause our body to create substances that are used to promote breast tissue. Consider too, some herbs must be digested in order to release the chemical agents they contain.

The way to get the most out of your herbs is probably by mouth, instead of on your skin. However, since massage is definitely good for NBE, mixing some of those herbal extracts into you massaging cream could assist you as well.

waxingmoon

Remi
(Login Remi Rose)
Re: Herbs absorbed through the skin
January 7 2007, 11:52 PM

The outer layer of the skin is oil-loving and water-hating. Oils penetrate into this top layer and generally don’t make it that much further, because the layers deeper down start to change in chemical composition and contain more water, making it harder for oil to penetrate further because oil and water do not mix.

Cosmetic scientists have realised that the stuff you want to get deeper in the skin should be applied in a blend of oil and water, as if a substance is ‘amphiphilic’ (both oil and water loving) it can penetrate deeper. But that still doesn’t mean that your ingredients are being fully absorbed, because it still depends on molecule size, chemical solubility, the carrier being used and if the substance reacts with the enzymes in your skin.

Now why massage matters. It's simple really, massage may increase penetration into the skin as it increases blood flow.

What to do after daytime massage to deal with the smell and stickiness?
February 11 2007 at 10:13 PM Lillea (Login Lillea)

So far, I have only massaged once a day at night. At some point I might wish to add a massage in the daytime. The problem is the smell and messiness. I have read about using peppermint essential oil to cover up the smell of fenugreek, but it still seems a bit much to be smelling so strongly when I'm out and about. And it's so sticky. I don't want to ruin my clothes and bra.

Some people massage with something like fennel during the day, fenugreek at night.

Any suggestions for me? I am currently only taking saw palmetto as an internal. I feel best targeting my breasts alone with phytoestrogenic things, not my whole body (to keep fat from depositing on hips, etc).

So apart from saw palmetto I'm trying to absorb all my herbs through the skin.

Lillea

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
one of the combo creams?
February 12 2007, 5:36 PM

maybe you could try one of the formulated creams, like wonder up, or just cocoa butter? i use cocoa butter and dont have a problem... going to switch to a pm cream (whenever it arrives... slow!).

but these creams are designed to absorb... so save your messies for at night, and go with something quick and easy in the morning??

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
Re: What to do after daytime massage to deal with the smell and stickiness?
February 12 2007, 5:55 PM

I would invest in a PM cream if I were you. If the only thing you take orally is saw palmetto, you could definitely benefit from using PM in cream form. I don't think Cocoa Butter and saw palmetto would result in much growth.

LL
(Login Lillea)
February 12 2007, 10:12 PM

Thank you for the suggestions!

Fennel Fairy, can you list all of the ingredients in the PM cream you use? I'm not sure if I can find it online. The purer the better. Smile

This message has been edited by Lillea on Dec 24, 2007 7:35 AM

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
February 12 2007, 10:40 PM

I use the PM cream from Pueraria UK and it's all PM, no other herbs. It is very good too!

lil dunny
(Login lil_dunny)
February 12 2007, 10:44 PM

grin and bear it Big Grin
i make a batter using Now's cocoa butter lotion as a base, with added fennel and wild yam tinctures. it does smell, though not nearly as much as fenugreek would. when i have to go out in public shortly afterwards i just apply less (and wait till it's mostly absorbed before putting on clothes)
my *sweat*, on the other hand, started smelling like fenugreek!! i'm, like, exuding the stuff out of my pores - i sure hope it's not unhealthy for the SO - he must be getting quite a secondary exposure!!

LL
(Login Lillea)
February 12 2007, 10:47 PM

Hi Fennel Fairy,

What is the base for the product? The base the herbs are in? I wish to avoid certain things.

Yeah, maybe I'll try to accept that I'll smell like maple syrup/curry if I don't go the PM route. Smile

Lillea

This message has been edited by Lillea on Dec 24, 2007 7:36 AM

sarah
(no login)
February 12 2007, 11:54 PM

Sorry about my ignorance. What is PM cream and where do I buy it? Thanks.

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
Ingredients
February 13 2007, 6:25 AM

I think you might have to contact Pueraria UK for further info about the cream base. On the website it only says Ingredients: Pueraria Mirifica and Pueraria herbal extracts - 50 ml.

The website:
http://pueraria.co.uk/

You can email them at:
info@pueraria.co.uk

LL
(Login Lillea)
February 13 2007, 7:19 AM

Thank you Fennel Fairy! I wrote to them and hopefully will hear from them soon. Smile

Lillea

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
February 13 2007, 3:07 PM

Ok, I have had the kids in school, where I volunteer, say to me that I smell like pancakes one too many times. I've also had 1 too many people at the gym ask me if I ate waffels this morning... I decided to take action!!! When at my local health foods store, while I was buying some more pure cocoa butter, I bought some 100% pure Geranium Oil. I found it with many other scents in the aromatherapeutic section of the store. I use just the SMALLEST amount and it seems to be working -

I had read about geranium oil to cover the NBE scents a long time ago on this forum. Just thought I would pass it on!

Gigando growing boobie blessings to all!

LL
(Login Lillea)
February 13 2007, 8:19 PM

Geranium oil sounds interesting!

A rep from PM UK wrote back to me about the ingredients in the breast cream:

INGREDIENTS: Purified water, vegetable glycerin, glyceryl stearate, sweet almond oil,s tearic acid
(from palm), emulsifying wax, jojoba oil, pueraria mirifica extract, tocopheryl acetate ( vitamin E), green tea extract (anti-oxidant), Herbigerm (preservative)

Will this really penetrate breast tissue?

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
Contents of cream
February 14 2007, 7:04 AM

When you apply a cream, all that needs to penetrate is the active substance. It's the same when you apply a steroid cream. The sticky cream doesn't all penetrate but the cortisone does.

In this case, the cream base is a good one. I worked in a beauty parlour with cosmetics and skin care for many many years and can tell you that these ingredients are good.

If every cream and perfumed bodylotion we used penetrated the skin totally, we'd be very ill I think. Certain substances penetrate and some don't. Hormones and hormone like substances DO penetrate even if the "carrier cream" doesn't.

My experience with this particular cream though, is that there is no sticky residue left on the skin and it doesn't take long at all until the cream is absorbed. Noo need to worry about stickiness afterwards, or strong smells. it is very discrete scentwise.

LL
(Login Lillea)
February 14 2007, 8:43 AM

This is great to know, Fennel Fairy! I have often wondered about how substances penetrate skin.

What do you know about aloe vera gel as a carrier? On another board, that is recommended as a carrier for massage ingredients. Currently I massage with organic aloe gel and fenugreek extract.

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
February 14 2007, 9:23 AM

I'd say that aloe vera gel is a good base for a massage product too.

What we must understand is, that a creame is not supposed to totally penetrate all skin layers. At most, it will penetrate the very top layer. Active substances added to a cream however, are able to penetrate deeper and things like hormones can do this. A lot of it has to do with molecule size or the structure of the particle.

I know a lot of people complain about creams based on mineral oil because it doesn't penetrate... Well it's good that it doesn't. Our body wouldn't benefit from petroleum oil running around in our bloodstream. Whatever people massage with, olive oil, cocoa butter etc, it DOESN'T penetrate all skin layers and add "fat" to the breast tissue or something that is biologically impossible.

LL
(Login Lillea)
February 14 2007, 12:16 PM

Thank you again, Fennel Fairy. I'm really grateful that you know so much about this kind of thing. Smile

On the BE board, some women rub in 2 drops of 99.9% DMSO http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=DMS-31126

after their massage, but only when using an oil-and-herb mix for massage. It makes you smell like garlic/sulphur, apparently, but it seems to really penetrate deeply. Using DMSO seems a bit scary to me, but I did buy some recently to try sometime, maybe. It's thought that a mixture of aloe vera gel and herbal extracts with heat applied afterward is almost as effective as using an oil and herbs massage mixture and DMSO, so I have opted for this for now.

This message has been edited by Lillea on Dec 24, 2007 7:37 AM

Lydia
(Login Lydia1981)
February 15 2007, 8:00 AM

Hi Fennelfairy,

You said that it's impossible that a cream penetrates into the skin and adds fat, at most it penetrates only the top layer!. that would mean that i have been massaging with cocoa butter and applying heat for almost a year, for nothingSad(

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
February 15 2007, 8:29 AM

The actual FAT doesn't penetrate all skin layers, that is correct. The molecules are too big. But there may be OTHER things in the cocoa butter than the actual fat, that is beneficial to breast growth? And the massage itself is probably good for the tissue and development.

I think that when people experience "plumpness" after massage with pure fat, it is because the fat blocks up the pores so much that water cannot evaporate through the pores as is normally the case.

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
February 15 2007, 9:46 AM

The things that DO penetrate from the fats are the fatty acids, amongst other things.

Skin is made up of layers. Those are the epidermis, dermis, and the subcutaneous tissue. The outermost layer, the epidermis, protects against substances that could penetrate and affect the inner layer, the dermis. The epidermis itself consists of five layers. The uppermost layer, the horny layer or stratum corneum, forms a permeability barrier. It stops substances intended to smooth your skin from penetrating to the layers beneath.

The gaps between the dead skin cells on the surface of the epidermis are filled with a lipid (fat) matrix that has to be penetrated. The gaps in the matrix are only 100 nanometres wide. This limits what can get through skin.

For those who like to use fat and oil in combination with herbs would probably do really well with the type of oils that have as small molecules as possible if they want the herbal substance to be transported deeply into the skin and pass the lipid barrier.

As mentioned before in this thread, mineral oil doesn't penetrate and therefore doesn't work as a carrier.

Jojoba oil on the other hand penetrates very easily, it is often used as a "carrier molecule" in cosmetic products. Not only will jojoba oil penetrate quickly, it will carry other molecules that normally would sit on the surface.

Soy Bean Oil has a small molecular structure and is thought to act more as a hormone-like cellular messenger once it reaches the epidermal keratinocytes and the dermal fibroblast. It is said to stimulate the synthesis of collagen and elastin too. Soy Bean Oil has a high content of phosphatides such as lecithin and Vitamins A, E, and K.

Essential oils all have a tiny molecular size and penetrate deeply into the skin.

Other good oils are almond oil and avocado oil. If one was to make up the ideal carrier cream for herbs it should be some sort of combination of those above I think. Personally, I believe that the soy bean oil would be good for NBE purposes.

Anonymous
(Login fennelfairy)
To Lydia:
February 15 2007, 12:28 PM

Quote Lydia:
You said that it's impossible that a cream penetrates into the skin and adds fat, at most it penetrates only the top layer!. that would mean that i have been massaging with cocoa butter and applying heat for almost a year, for nothingSad(
End of Quote.

It's not all done for nothing.

Cocoa butter provides a barrier that helps preserve the moisture and provides a protective layer that seals in natural moisture, which makes it an emollient. Cocoa butter also helps with the growth of collagen which is a very good thing. Molecules are BIG though.

Since we still need to do the massage, why not cocoa butter as a "sealing coat" on top of our herbal tinctures or whatever herbal ingredients we want to penetrate. I often use a fat or oil on top to keep the other stuff from evaporating out again together with natural perspiration and such.

snowdrops
(Login snowdropsfalling)
February 15 2007, 1:17 PM

I agree with fennel fairy saying to seal it in with oils. I don't smell like anything at all. I usually top of my herbal mix with cocoa butter such as palmers (smells good) and I have no problems ever with me smelling and my sweat has never smelled like it either. I wonder if people who sweat more might release the scent more? I never even thought my mix cream I made up smelled bad neither as I mix it up with cocoa butter, fenugreek, wild yam, fennell, etc. even by itself I can't smell pancakes? I wouldn't think smelling like pancakes would be bad though lol

Lydia
(Login Lydia1981)
February 15 2007, 3:42 PM

pheeewwww!: ) thanks fennel fairy! I will continue rotating then: )

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
February 15 2007, 3:56 PM

Thanks for your knowledge of oils FennelFairy!!! Per FennelFairy, "Essential oils all have a tiny molecular size and penetrate deeply into the skin". Therefore, I did a bit of research on essential and carrier oils. See link http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp

What are Carrier Oils?
Adding an essential oil, drop by drop, to carrier oil.

Carrier oils also referred to as base oils or vegetable oils are used to dilute essential oils, CO2s and absolutes before applying to the skin. They “carry” the essential oil onto the skin. Different carrier oils offer different properties and the choice of carrier oil can depend on the therapeutic benefit being sought.

Carrier oils are generally cold-pressed vegetable oils derived from the fatty portions of the plant. Unlike essential oils that evaporate and have a concentrated aroma, carrier oils do not evaporate or impart their aroma as strongly as essential oils.

Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ. Most oils bought in the grocery store are not cold-pressed. Instead, the oils are heated and therefore have less therapeutic benefit. Mineral oil is not used in aromatherapy because mineral oil is not a natural product. It is also said that mineral oil can prevent essential oil absorption into the skin.

Essential oils do not go rancid. Carrier oils, however, can go rancid. Carrier oils that you purchase should be natural and unadulterated. Exceptions include buying carrier oils that have natural vitamin E added. Vitamin E acts as a natural preservative.

Carrier Oils

Carrier oils also referred to as base oils or vegetable oils are used to dilute essential oils, CO2s and absolutes before applying to the skin. Please see the What are Carrier Oils? article for more information on what carrier oils are and how they are used. Below is a list of many of the commonly used carrier oils.

Almond, Sweet

Botanical Name: Prunus amygdalus var. dulcus
Aroma: Light, slightly sweet and nutty.
Texture: Slightly oily, leaves a slight oily feeling on the skin. Absorbs semi-quickly.
Color: Virtually clear with a tinge of yellow.
Notes: Sweet Almond oil is considered to be a good all-purpose carrier oil to keep on hand and is moderately priced.

Apricot Kernel

Botanical Name: Prunus armeniaca
Aroma: Faint
Texture: Somewhat oily, absorbs semi-quickly.
Notes: The semi-oily texture makes this oil helpful in massage blends.

Avocado

Botanical Name: Persea americana
Aroma: Medium. Somewhat sweet, fatty and nutty in aroma.
Texture: Thick, leaves a fatty, almost waxy feel to the skin.
Color: Deep olive green.
Notes: If not carefully used or used in a small dilution with another carrier, it may overpower a blend.

Borage

Botanical Name: Borago officinalis
Aroma: Light and sweet.
Texture: Thin to medium, leaves a somewhat oily feel to the skin.
Color: Light yellow.
Notes: Is said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. Borage oil is expensive and is usually blended in a small (often 10%) dilution with other carrier oils. It goes rancid rather quickly.

Cocoa Butter

Botanical Name: Theobroma cacao
Aroma: Unrefined cocoa butter is rich and very sweet . It has a chocolaty, "cocoa" aroma. The cocoa aroma is less noticeable in refined cocoa butter.
Texture: Solid and hard to work with at room temperate. Breaks into pieces.
Color: Yellowish tan.
Notes: Cocoa butter needs to be blended with other materials/oils to be workable. Suitable for use in lotions and creams.

Evening Primrose

Botanical Name: Oenothera biennis
Aroma: Light and sweet
Texture: Thin, leaves only a trace of oiliness on the skin.
Color: Medium yellow.
Notes: Evening Primrose is also said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. It is expensive and is usually blended in a small (often 10%) dilution with other carrier oils. It goes rancid quickly.

Grapeseed

Botanical Name: Vitus vinifera
Aroma: Light, slightly sweet with a hint of a nutty aroma.
Texture: Thin but leaves a glossy film on the skin.
Color: Virtually clear, has an almost unnoticeable tinge of yellow/green.
Notes: Unlike most other carrier oils, grapeseed oil is solvent extracted and may have trace amounts of chemical solvent remaining. I have heard mixed reports on the shelf-life of grapeseed (some have said it goes rancid rather fast). I usually go through a bottle of grapeseed once each six months and have not discovered any problems with rancidity when stored in an amber bottle in a cool dark area.

Hazelnut

Botanical Name: Corylus avellana
Aroma: Light, nutty, somewhat sweet.
Texture: Thin and only leaves a slightly oily film on the skin.
Notes: It is said to be a good choice for those with oilier skin.

Jojoba

Botanical Name: Simmondsia chinensis
Aroma: Light to medium in aroma, not as sweet as the nut oils. The aroma is distinct but pleasant.
Texture: Light and silky. Absorbs well.
Color: Yellow.
Notes: Jojoba "oil" is actually a wax. It is a somewhat pricier oil and is frequently blended in a small dilution (10%) with other oils. It has a very long shelf-life.

Kukui

Botanical Name: Aleurites moluccana
Aroma: Light, sweet, pleasant, nutty.
Texture: Thin. Absorbs well, leaving only a trace oily feeling on the skin.
Color: Clear with a hint of yellow.
Notes: It is said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. It is a somewhat more pricier oil. It goes rancid rather quickly.

Macadamia Nut

Botanical Name: Macadamia integrifolia
Aroma: More fragrant than sweet almond and some of the other nut oils, it is very sweet, fatty and nutty in aroma.
Texture: Thick and leaves an oily film on the skin.
Color: Clear with a tinge of yellow.
Notes: If not carefully used or used in a small dilution with another carrier, it may overpower a blend.

Olive

Botanical Name: Olea europaea
Aroma: Typical aroma of olive oil used in cooking (smells somewhat like olives).
Texture: Heavy and rather oily.
Color: Light to medium green.

Peanut

Botanical Name: Arachis hypogeae
Aroma: Like Pecan, it is extremely light in aroma with a slight fatty, nutty quality.
Texture: Thick and leaves a very oily film on the skin.
Color: Virtually clear.
Notes: Peanut oil should not be used by anyone that has an allergy to peanuts. Because of it's oiliness, it is said to be a good choice for inclusion in massage blends. It has been said that it is a good oil to use for those with arthritis.

Pecan

Botanical Name: Carya pecan
Aroma: Extremely light with a hint of a fatty, nutty aroma.
Texture: Medium thickness, leaves a slight oily film on the skin.
Notes: It is said that it goes rancid somewhat quickly. I have used only one bottle of Pecan oil and did not discover any problems with rancidity when stored in an amber bottle in a cool dark area during my use of the oil over about 4-6 months.

Rose Hip

Botanical Name: Rosa mosqueta
Aroma: Mild and perhaps earthy aroma.
Texture: Light and leaves only a hint of oil on the skin.
Notes: It is said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. It is expensive and is usually blended in a small (often 10%) dilution with other carrier oils. It goes rancid rather quickly.

Sesame

Botanical Name: Sesamum indicum
Aroma: Medium with a distinctive sweet, nutty sesame scent. May overpower a blend if not diluted with another carrier oil.
Texture: Mildly thick, leaves an oily film on the skin.
Notes: Sesame oil may overpower a blend if not diluted with another carrier oil.

Shea Butter

Botanical Name: Butyrospermun parkii
Aroma: Nutty, fatty.
Texture: Solid but permeable at room temperature. Leaves an oily/waxy feeling on the skin.
Color: Off-white/cream.
Notes: Suitable for use in lotions and creams.

Sunflower

Botanical Name: Helianthus annuus
Aroma: Faint and sweet.
Texture: Thin and does not leave an oily residue.
Notes: When choosing sunflower oil, strive to get unrefined oil.

HAZARDOUS Essential Oils: The list shown below contains essential oils that should not be used in aromatherapy without the express administration by a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Many should not even be used by a qualified practitioner. Do not assume that an oil is safe to use if it is not on this list.

Ajowan
Trachyspermum copticum

Almond, Bitter
Prunus dulcis var. amara

Arnica
Arnica Montana

Birch, Sweet
Betula lenta

Boldo Leaf
Peumus boldus

Broom, Spanish
Spartium junceum

Calamus
Acorus calamus var. angustatus

Camphor
Cinnamomum camphora

Deertongue
Carphephorus odoratissimus

Garlic
Allium sativum

Horseradish
Armoracia rusticana

Jaborandi
Pilocarpus jaborandi

Melilotus
Melilotus officinalis

Mugwort
Artemisia vulgaris

Mustard
Brassica nigra

Onion
Allium cepa

Pennyroyal
Mentha pulegium

Rue
Ruta graveolens

Sassafras
Sassafras albidum

Thuja
Thuja occidentalis

Wintergreen
Gaultheria procumbens

Wormseed
Chenopodium ambrosioides var. anthelminticum

Wormwood
Artemisia absinthium

Important Note: The information provided in the Oil Profiles area is for educational purposes only. This data is not considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate.

Essential Oil Safety Information

Diluting a very small quantity of essential oil in carrier oil.

Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids that can be harmful if not used carefully. Implementing aromatherapy into your lifestyle shouldn't cause paranoia or undue worry. By treating essential oils as medicines and following the steps outlined below, you will be well on your way to safely enjoying the many benefits that aromatherapy can offer.

These safety guidelines are not a complete safety reference for the proper use of essential oils. When in doubt, consult your physician and/or a qualified and trained aromatherapy practitioner.

Essential oils should never be used undiluted on the skin. There are instances when experienced aromatherapy users and practitioners make exceptions to this precaution, but only once significant essential oil knowledge is gained should you ever attempt to apply an undiluted oil on the skin. Lavender and tea tree are listed by a large number of aromatherapy sources as being oils that can be used undiluted. Undiluted use of lavender and tea tree, however, should only be done on rare occurances as severe sensitivity still could occur in some individuals. Again, the safest rule of thumb is to never use any essential oil undiluted.

Some oils can cause sensitization or allergic reactions in some individuals. When using a new oil for the first time, do a skin patch on a small area of skin. Place a small amount of the diluted essential oil (never use essential oils undiluted on the skin) on the inside of your elbow and apply a bandage. Wait 24 hours to see if there is any form of reaction. Even if a particular essential oil is not known to cause irritation, this step should not be ignored. Even if an oil does not irritate you, it still can irritate someone else. It is important that you always keep that in mind.

Some essential oils should be avoided during pregnancy or by those with asthma, epilepsy, or with other health conditions.

Less IS More. When using essential oils, use the smallest amount of essential oils that will get the job done. If one drop will get the job done, for example, don't use two drops.

Not all essential oils are suitable for use in aromatherapy. Wormood, pennyroyal, onion, camphor, horseradish, wintergreen, rue, bitter almond and sassafras are some of the essential oils that should only be used by qualified aromatherapy practitioners, if ever at all.

Never let children use essential oils without the presence of an adult knowledgeable about their use. Most essential oils smell wonderful and many essential oils such as citrus oils can smell like they are safe to drink. Keep your essential oils away from children. Treat the oils like medicines that are poison in unknowing hands.

Essential oils should not be taken internally. Essential oils should only be taken internally after receiving a detailed consultation and prescription from a trained and qualified aromatherapy practitioner.

Essential oils are flammable. Please keep them out of the way of fire hazards.

Massage lotions - to wash off after or not?
November 7 2007 at 6:57 PM Louise (Login Louise1982)

Are people washing the lotions off after? What about people who apply borage oil / EPO to their chests? Does leaving it on give you spots? Does washing it off make it less effective or doesn't it matter providing you did a good massage?

Frostedmint06
(Login frostedmint06)
Re: Massage lotions - to wash off after or not?
November 7 2007, 11:23 PM

I leave my massage lotion on overnight. I wear an old t-shirt on over top so it doesn't ruin my pajamas. I use EPO with hops, soya and oats. I haven't had any trouble with spots. I originally used olive oil and my chest broke out badly and I don't normally breakout so I stopped using it. I only massage once a day so leaving it on is better ( just in case the herbs want to absorb into my system!).

Daria
(Login daria)
November 11 2007, 9:30 PM

I must admit it had never crossed my mind to be washing the lotions off after massage. But now that the question is asked, I suppose if the lotion was massaged in very thoroughly then washing the residue off would not be detrimental.

Elsa
(Login Elsa)
November 12 2007, 2:36 PM

I'm not an expert, but since oils are meant to do most of their work during the massage, not after it, I'd say you needn't miss your shower. Having said that, I usually leave the oil on and just blot anything too excess.

epo --which is better? take the pill or massage into the skin?
June 11 2006 at 6:40 PM landoline (Login landoline)

I know some women take epo (or borage oil) pill orally, others use them in the massage routine. Which is more effective?

SugarQ
(Login SugarQ)
Re: epo --which is better? take the pill or massage into the skin?
June 11 2006, 7:15 PM

does it really matter? come on people? stop fretting over small details and make NBE more complicated then it has to be. if you want to massage it then fine but how would anyone know if it would make a big difference. women here will have their preference of what they prefer but that doesnt mean they know for sure which works better.

many people think that massaging herbs and oils to the breast will make them work stronger because they are concentrated at the site of where they want it to make the most difference but the truth is that its not that simple. first the herbs have to make it through several layers of skin (which doesnt happens very easily cause the skin was designed to keep things out)after the substance has made it though all those layers it goes into the bloodstream. its true that topical or subligual supplimentation are better then oral because much more of the substances make it into the bloodstream but it doesnt mean it will accelerate growth or the activity of the substance(just like taking more of a oral medicine doesnt always mean that it will make someone better faster).justhere are some women who massage herbs to their breast and claim that their pains seem to come very quickly after but think about it. when you take pain killers they get absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly from the stomach (painkillers bypass the intestines and go thorugh the digestive process completely) and within a few minutes its circulathing thoughout the whole body. the same goes for herbs that make it into the bloodstream. they circulate and go all over the body. some of it will get into the breast (not all) cirtainly more then what you would normally get through taking herbs orally.

the only things part of the body that will be affected when something is topically applied is the skin and maybe muscles.even if a substance penitrates deep enough to make it into the glands,and hopefully get lodged into the fat it wont have an accelerated effect on the tissue. the substances wont stay in the breast area for very long even if they to stick into the fat (where me want the active components of these herbs to be).

think about it.estrogen and progesterone need fat to be effective. the more you got the more receptors you have. if things worked so well and applying stuff to the breast makes the breast grow better then why dont women who try topically apply estradiol to their breasts. you can buy estradiol (the strongest estrogen known and the one estrogen most responsible for breast enlargement)in cream form. women have in fact tried it using estradiol for massages and i will tell you it doesnt make a difference and most of the women got sick from it. the same goes for progesterone cream.no difference. women apply it to their breasts and it dont make a difference then if they were to apply it to an arm or a leg. there is no increase in the number of breast enlargement cases when stuff in applied directly to the breast but it does help in other ways.

IMO the only reason i think massaging anything to the breast is becasue you get two benifits. lubrication for massages and at the same time you get a transdermal application all in one move.

people will have their preference of weither they prefer oral supplimentation and massaging stuff to their breast but the truth is no one can answer your question with any kind of assurance they know for a fact there is a huge difference. but if you really want to know which is better then try both together or try a few months either way. dont fret over the small details of a routine.if you come to a place where you dont know if its good to apply something directly or take it orally then just try something and hope it works. NBE is not an exact science and we dont have all the answers. everyone is different and its up to you to figure out what works best for you.

landoline
(no login)
Re: epo --which is better? take the pill or massage into the skin?
June 11 2006, 7:59 PM

thank you for the response. You are always resourceful, and helpful.

Fact or Fiction?
September 20 2007 at 1:08 PM Curious (no login)

Massaging powdered fenugreek into the breasts is also worth a try, since breast tissue can apparently absorb a certain amount of plant chemicals. Not too long ago, two distinguished pharmacognosists (natural product pharmacists) published a paper entitled "Higher Plants as Potential Sources of Galactagogues." (Galactagogues are substances that promote the secretion and flow of breast milk.) These two scientists seemed surprised to find that 68 of the 255 plants used as traditional galactagogues were and are applied topically. To use powdered fenugreek, open up capsules, add a dash of vegetable oil and apply the mixture as a paste

Solitaire
(Login solitairian)
Re: Fact or Fiction?
September 21 2007, 9:03 AM

To be honest, this is not exactly news. Many women in this forum have been doing this kind of thing for some time. I haven't done much of it myself, but how much can herbs be absorbed through the skin is an interesting subject.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
September 21 2007, 11:08 AM

Also just to add to Solataire's comment, olive oil would be a better base to use as it is finer. And herbs have to soak for several days in the oil to release the chemicals from them wanted for NBE, and that's important to note.

Curious
(no login)
September 21 2007, 1:31 PM

I was more so asking a question about the information then making a statement. I just happened to copy and paste the info I read.
Perhaps I'll give it a try as I am hesitant about taking anything internal.

Thanks

Barka
(no Barka)
September 21 2007, 10:58 PM

But if it works and the herbs penetrate the skin you will in that case be taking something internal. Just a thought.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon