Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Marijuana

smoking up?off topic
February 19 2008 at 2:58 PM Woolly Sheep (Login riya123)
Hey Everyone, I was just going through an old post here about ecstacy and NBE. Now before anyone mistakes me, let me say I have never tried it and never will. I was just shocked that people may actualy die from it, and I wish to know if anyone here knows how that happens..personally I have never liked drugs of any sort though I have tried it a few times, and realized then that although it could kind of make me feel good, it was just not natural,didnt feel right so I just didnt let go of myself and had horrible experiences. However ,I have a few close friends who do weed and hash regularly, and ex rarely..I was frightened by the post I read,because I never knew people could DIE from it! or never recover!jeeez..scary!Now I have two questions..Is smoking worse than smoking up? I have heard that it is as nicotine is more harmful than thc but I dont know..and also how does ecstacy kill? what happens in the brain?I would like to talk to my friends about it .
sorry about the essay,and please dont plunge at me if I have inadvertently offended anyone,I dotn mean to and have tried to be careful on this forum as people here are a bit sensitive.
thanks and any correct info is valued..

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
Re: smoking up?off topic
February 19 2008, 4:19 PM

People always like to go "oh weed is natural, ciggarettes have tons of toxic chemicals in them so they are worse, etc" while that is true, ciggarettes are definitely awful... but they should NOT be using that as a way to act like weed is okay because it is not either. It can cause fertility issues, and long terms mental issues... ie. it well mess you up, and I have seen this first hand people who smoke it regularily down the line are so darn crazy and out of their minds... you can find alot of this stuff on the internet. Also, I read this "Marijuana smoke contains some of the same cancer-causing compounds as tobacco, sometimes in higher concentrations.Studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day." http://www.mediacampaign.org/Marijuana/Strategizer.pdf

I personally have never tried any drug, and won't ever... and don't know if you smoke shisha (hookah) over there but don't let anyone fool you that it is fine and good for you too. It's equal to smoking 18 CIGGARETTES at one time. I used to have tons of links saved on this as I had friends who only smoke shisha... here's a few a recovered quickly but there's alot more out there: http://www.arabnews.com/?page=9§ion=0&article=28905&d=16&m=7&y=2003 and http://www.contactpakistan.com/Community...icle25.htm

Ecstacy, I have heard of people dying on the spot from it... don't know why, I heard alot of other stuff can happen too from that like vomitting, wetting themselves, permanent brain damage...

good luck, hopefully your friends will learn to live a better lifestyle.

Egg
(Login eggiedawl)
February 19 2008, 4:58 PM

Hopeful88, I too use Wikipedia for reference but unfortunately the link you provided lacks citations. The second paragraph already states, "Today, there is still a substantial amount of propaganda and misinformation from both cannabis advocates and opponents due to the legal issues of cannabis, including legal and political constraints on cannabis research", meaning research can bias so use that site with caution.

If you do a search on this forum we have already talked about marijuana and it was pretty heated up and now I have a good feeling this one will be too. Many people have strong opinions on marijuana whether for or against. As for me, I'm a regular user, as stated in the past. By the way, I participate in various medical testing and during procedure I have to take a blood and urine sample. There is traces of marijuana in me but it didn't matter to them as long as I was healthy. One research I got to participate was a new birth control. It's like the ring but is reusable for an entire year. The doctors and nurses of the research knew I smoked marijuana and let me proceed because all my vitals proved me healthy from all their testing.

I am totally against drugs that are man-made. Meaning cigarettes, ecstasy, cocaine, pharmaceutical drugs, etc. Most of these man-made drugs are issued and distribute by the government. They make the money and sell it to us. Ironic.

Ecstasy causes death in people who are dehydrated. Try to go to youtube and maybe you might find the investigated report from 20/20 on ecstasy. Victims come out to talk about the harmful drug and x-rays of their brain shows that the drug eats away the brain with heavy use.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
February 19 2008, 5:06 PM

Okay fair enough, I didn't read all of it because I already learned about how drugs are bad for us years ago... I just posted that quickly so she could look. So riya, you just have to do reasearch and figure out where you stnd on this issue. Egg, that's fine doctors didn't say anything to you... I just don't like how people act like there is nothing wrong with it. There is something wrong with smoking it just as there is something wrong about smoking cigarettes, right? Nothing is 100% good for you, no matter how "natural" it is.

Woolly Sheep
(no login)
February 19 2008, 5:12 PM

ok egg, since you feel it is goin to get nasty(so do I ), please everyone, only post your opinion and any valuable info here .We are not here to fight or offend people, please lets not have heated discussions,or jump at anyone else's reactions.
Thanks.Hopeful,where did you get this info about hookah? is that true, I did think it was much milder than smoking, and someone else gave me a figure of something like an hour of hookah =7 cigarettes.
thanks

Woolly Sheep
(no login)
February 19 2008, 5:42 PM

oh I am sorry hopeful ,I had missed that one link.read it now

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS
February 19 2008, 6:12 PM

Most deaths from ecstasy use are due to dehydration. The number of deaths from taking ecstatsy in the UK last year was 48.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
February 19 2008, 6:39 PM

Ecstasy itself isn't harmful except in huge doses, some hippy guy experimented on himself and took about 70 tablets at home one evening and was fine after. Some people can have an allergic reaction to the fillers or the actual ecstasy in the same way you could die from a peanut allergy. Sometimes dangerous stuff can be used as a filler, I know there have been reports of it being cut with warfarin (active ingredient in rat poison) which is an anticoagulant and can cause internal bleeding or various household cleaning products that are not safe to ingest. As stated above most deaths are caused by dehydration, if you'd danced all night then you would have collapsed anyway regardless of taking or not taking drugs - the drug just stops you seeing your body's warning signs that you're overdoing it (hence the name 'dance of death' in the early 90s). You can also seriously damage or kill yourself by overcompensating and drinking too much water.

Smoking weed seems to have very variable effects in different people, I know people in late middle age who've smoked a LOT since their teens and have no ill effects and I know other people who by college age were a bit paranoid and odd but maybe it only brings out mental symptoms if you're going that way anyway? It's definitely been linked with schizophrenia but doesn't seem to have that effecton everyone in the same way that not everyone who smokes cigarettes gets cancer.

I don't take drugs for religious reasons (and expense and not getting out much reasons!) but don't really care if other people do or don't, it's no different from drinking. The people who really annoy me are the anti-smokers! (I don't smoke either just think people should mind their own business!).

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
February 19 2008, 6:45 PM

As far as smoking goes -and this applies to anything a person smokes- it could be cloves, tobacco, marijuana, smoke from a fire -you name it - leaves a residue in the lungs. This 'tar' clogs the lungs and leads to reduced oxygenation. Eventually it will lead to COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).

The tarry residue also causes the body to activate immune cells which will gobble up the tar. There also is a inflammation of lung and throat tissue. Inflamed tissues are more likely to become malignant.

Is marijuana more toxic than cigarettes ? Not more, but probably as far as the tar is concerned it is just as much of a problem. It also depends on the smoker's habit. Is it a joint? - you have to consider the smoke is super-heated and that alone can damage lung and throat tissues. Is is a bong? - you have to consider the smoke is usually inhaled deeper (cooler temperature) and there is a lot more of it per 'puff'.

I would suggest if you wish to continue to use marijuana you should eat it or make a tea out of it. This will still give the effects of the drug, but eliminate the whole 'smoke in the lungs' problem.

As far as Esctacy -it is a methamphetamine class of drug -aside from the dehydration deaths, it also causes permanent brain injury. This is a good one to avoid at all costs.

Just my .02 cents,
waxingmoon

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 19 2008, 6:50 PM

HAHAHA. ''Do weed?''
No. Whether it's natural or not, [even though that is partially the reason] smoking pot is definitely less harmful than smoking cigarettes. Have you ever seen a pot head dying from lung cancer?
Yeah, they say you lose a ton of brain cells from smoking pot..
But for fvcks sake people... you lose brain cells from jumping up and down and hitting your head against the wall.
Big deal. You can't become retarded from smoking it unless you smoke like 50 grams at once. And any pothead would know that smoking out of a hookah just wastes your weed.
You don't really become ''crazy and out of your mind'' either. I don't know where that came from, they must of been secretly taking other drugs. But yes you may become slower in the head a bit. Crap from the internet is a joke. They just don't want kids to get into it and then they make up all this bogus long term effects. They kind of have to do that. Weed is a gateway drug... once you start smoking that, you're bound to try other drugs. That's basically why.

As for ecstacy and dying from it... Pretty much because the person who took it, took too many pills for their body weight or their liver/heart can't handle it, or dehydration. That's why you always have to drink water during when you do these things. Same thing goes for alcohol. Which could lead to horrible alcohol poisoning or possibly death. But you'd have to drink a lot of course.

I used to be really bad into drugs. The only one that I really thought was horrible and uncontrollable was PCP. Unless you want to get into drugs, I suggest not trying it because it's very rare when someone actually tries it and refuses to do it anymore nowadays. I've seen alot of kids say, '''ohhhhh I'll only try it once... swear..'' I always doubted them and was pretty much always right. Because the next thing you know, they are coming back as fiends and hook-ups for more.

Oh and also... About the forum for mixing NBE with weed... I'm not quite sure what would happen but I have heard a lot that smoking pot stunts your growth and obviously makes your boobs smaller. Does anybody know any information on this or know if that's a true fact?

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
February 19 2008, 7:06 PM

Everyone I know uses tabacco to smoke in hookahs, not weed.

And when I said it makes you crazy I was refering to a personal case that I have unfortunately seen in a middle aged person in my life. It can be linked with increased chances of schizophrenic and psychosis, and yes this person did smoke an obscene amount over the course of their life. okay?

And about the internet making up bogus facts... that is not fully true, while not everything on the internet can be reliable as Egg pointed out like wikipedia. There are certainly medical studies that show ciggarettes are harmful right? So their are also certainly reiable studies on other things people use too.

Good luck everyone.

Egg
(Login eggiedawl)
February 19 2008, 7:38 PM

Jackie: You're right. Smoking marijuana on a hookah is just wasteful because there's too much filtering.

Waxingmoon: I would love to eat and drink it instead of smoking it and you're right it is a better way to take it in, it's just that is cost too much to make edibles. The medical dispensary I go to charges ten dollars for a brownie and to take THC in affect you have to consume at least four. On the other hand they also sell marijuana hot sauce (I know it's weird) but that a condiment. It's just so expensive. I'm a college student and I don't make a lot and used my money on WonderUp instead. By the way, I'm still growing on WonderUp with marijuana.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
February 19 2008, 9:46 PM

In the interest of fair and balanced reporting... lol Here are some portions of articles regarding cancer risks of marijuana:

This is a portion of an article from Jan, 2007:

“In an article published in the European Respiratory Journal, the scientists said cannabis could be expected to harm the airways more than tobacco as its smoke contained twice the level of carcinogens, such as polyaromatic hydrocarbons, compared with tobacco cigarettes.

The method of smoking also increases the risk, since joints are typically smoked without a proper filter and almost to the very tip, which increases the amount of smoke inhaled. The cannabis smoker inhales more deeply and for longer, facilitating the deposition of carcinogens in the airways.

"Cannabis smokers end up with five times more carbon monoxide in their bloodstream (than tobacco smokers)," team leader Richard Beasley, at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, said in a telephone interview.
"There are higher concentrations of carcinogens in cannabis smoke ... what is intriguing to us is there is so little work done on cannabis when there is so much done on tobacco." http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080129/hl_n...annabis_dc

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was from June 2000:

“(CNN) -- Smoking marijuana may be a greater cancer danger than smoking tobacco, a new study from the University of California at Los Angeles suggests. The research, conducted on mice, was published in the July issue of the Journal of Immunology. The UCLA researchers studied the effect of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the major euphoriant in marijuana.

They found that THC can promote tumor growth in mice by impairing the body's anti-tumor immunity system. Mice with normal immune systems had significant tumor growth when injected with both lung cancer cells and THC. However, the compound appeared to have no effect on mice whose immune systems were already compromised.

While previous research had shown that THC can lower resistance to both bacterial and viral infections, this is the first time that THC’s possible tumor-promoting activity has been reported, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a part of the National Institutes of Health.” http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/canc...index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was from May 2006

“People who smoke marijuana -- even heavy, long-term marijuana users -- appear not to be at increased risk of developing lung cancer, says a US study. Marijuana smoking also did not appear to increase the risk of head and neck cancers, such as cancer of the tongue, mouth, throat or esophagus, the study found.“
http://health.dailynewscentral.com/conte...002267/61/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I guess you can say if you believe the article from May 2006 that marijuana does not pose a cancer risk. However, if you believe the articles from June 2000 and January 2007 you think that marijuana does pose cancer and health risks.

Scientific studies conflict all the time. This does not mean they are inaccurate. It just means that in the way a study was set up, a finding was discovered. You must decide for yourself what the whole truth is.

It is up to each person to judge just how much risk they are willing to allow in their lives. For some a life without the effects of marijuana is not worth contemplating. These people are willing to take the risk associated with this drugs use.

About marijuana and NBE - a known side effect of marijuana use in males is gynecomastia. This would seem to indicate a phytoestrogen effect. However, if the estrogen potency of marijuana was low, it might conflict with the use of other more potent phytoestrogens. I have never read a study that focuses on the phytoestrogen strength of marijuana. Considering its phytoestrogen effect on men though, it would probably not be the best choice for women who are estrogen dominant.

waxingmoon

Woolly Sheep
(no login)
February 20 2008, 7:23 AM

Thanks everyone,I prefer to believe itis harmful and say away from it. and no I dont want to do any of it,I only asked to know what happens. maybe I should even stop hookah although we use not weed but tobacco in it, and I only do it rarely.BY the way anyone knows how long nicotine would stay in the bloodstream and can eb detected after you stop smoking. I may have to get a blood test done sometime and my parents dont know I smoke( on the way to quitting) would the nicotine show in the report ?

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
February 20 2008, 12:59 PM

Woolly Sheep - depending on what your blood is being tested for would depend on if the nicotine shows up. Like if your blood work is for a thyroid test, iron, blood thickness, diabetes, etc, they wouldn't be testing for drugs in the blood. If its a drug test, then they might test for nicotine, but its not a standard drug they test for unless they have changed some things.

Anyway I found this answer for you in regards to your original question:

Nicotine has a blood half-life of about 60 minutes. That is, each hour, your body metabolizes half of what is in your blood.

How long you need to quit to pass your test depends on how much you have in your bloodstream when you quit. A second site says that you should stop smoking for 7-10 days.

Most parents though find out through different way instead of blood tests ie. clothes, finding your packs, actually seeing you, or hearing of someone else seeing you etc.....

Do yourself a favor and quit for good, if you can, its better for your health. But I will not get on a soap box, that is all I have to say about it.

Hope this helps.

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 20 2008, 10:19 PM

ZINGGGGG!

Jennelle
(Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS
February 22 2008, 8:43 AM

Just to correct one point - Louise said ecstasy itself isn't harmful except in huge doses. This is wrong because there are cases on record where someone has died after taking a single ecstasy tablet.

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 22 2008, 6:15 PM

Yeah but Jennelle, what they don't tell you is what they took WITH the Ecstasy. They basically just sum it up. There is no way that could of happened unless they were taking other medication/drinking alcohol along with it. Or the pill itself was laced with another drug that shouldn't be.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
February 22 2008, 6:26 PM

Well maybe if people didn't take things that even temmporairly (for the short-term) affect how their brain functions in the first place, than they wouldn't be making dangerous decisions like mixing pills with other pills and alcohol at all.

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 22 2008, 8:04 PM

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this. Whatever people are retards then?

Oh, hey, by the way - in the interest of the 'whole' picture... Every drug out there has a 'sudden death' associated with taking it, including asprin.

Judy
(Login Judy H)
February 22 2008, 12:13 PM

I'm less interested in the cases of sudden death from consuming ecstasy or marijuana than I am in what their effect is on NBE. I know someone who blames his man boobs on smoking marijuana!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Messages In This Thread
Marijuana - by admin - 24-02-2016, 01:05 PM
marijuana and BE? - by admin - 24-02-2016, 01:07 PM
drugs dopamine prolactin - by admin - 24-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Ecstacy & NBE - by admin - 24-02-2016, 01:26 PM
smoking up? off topic - by admin - 24-02-2016, 01:51 PM
RE: smoking up? off topic - by Anselm - 03-01-2018, 05:10 PM
RE: smoking up? off topic - by James98 - 04-01-2018, 05:08 AM
RE: smoking up? off topic - by Bonny - 04-01-2018, 10:39 PM