Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Tops of Breasts

Tops of Breasts
October 18 2007 at 9:47 PM waxingmoon (Login waxingmoon)
This is something that I have struggled with and according to some of the posts I have recently read - others of you may have this trouble as well.

The top area of the breast (above the nipple) does not seem to increase as readily as the bottom area of the breast (below the nipple).

I am not sure exactly why this is so, nor am I certain what is happening to those women who used to have top areas developed but lost it after breastfeeding.

I do however know of one remedy that has been helping me. It involved developing the muscle in that area. The pectoral muscles are not directly under the nipple portion of our breast - the majority of the muscle is above the nipple and toward the under arm area. Therefore any size increase in this muscle area will serve to define, shape and potentially enlarge the breast.

However, some muscle exercise techniques do more to tone the muscle which will uplift the breast - rather than increase the size of this muscle.

In order to develop (enlarge) this muscle one must practice progressive muscle resistance exercises that challenge the muscle strength enough.

Here is a routine that someone starting out can use to 'grow' the pectoral muscle.

Static chest press:
# Place your palms together in front of your chest with your elbows and wrists level.
# Press your palms firmly together and concentrate on your chest area (you want to feel contraction in the chest)
# Breathe deeply as you do this and press for about 4 - 5 seconds
# Relax your effort - Then repeat for 20 repetitions.

Wall push up:
# Place your hands on a wall below shoulder level and greater than shoulder distance wide.
# Stand back arm length from the wall.
# Tighten your abdominal muscles and keep your back still.
# Slowly bring your forehead toward the wall letting your elbows flare out.
# Pressing your hands firmly - push yourself back from the wall letting your elbows move downward (like wings flapping down).
# Concentrate on feeling you chest muscles contract.
# The slower you do this exercise the more intense it becomes.
# Repeat 20 times.

This would be your first week - or for those who are stronger your first 3 days. You will then add another set of 20 to each exercise every week or so until you are doing 3 sets of 20 repetitions every other day.

This will establish a groundwork of strength you can build from and will protect you from over-work that increases your risk of injury.

Just to keep things interesting I will limit this post to what is suitable for the novice and post later what would be better for those who are stronger or more practiced in exercising the chest.

Everyone feel free to add in some exercises if you like.

I will be adding more later. These really do work and there are several more I have found that have helped me develop this part of my chest.

waxingmoon

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
Re: Tops of Breasts
October 18 2007, 9:53 PM

Hi Waxingmoon,

Obviously being a trainer you know a lot more about this than me (an optometrist!), I'm sure I read somewhere that doing arm or chest excercises while it tightens and firms can reduce boob size due to fat burning - is this not the case then?

Goatwoman
(Login Goatwoman)
October 18 2007, 10:29 PM

I use dumb bells. 10 pounds each. I lie on my back with my arms out and lift up. I do about 30 of these and a few other chest exercises. It does seem to help.

artlady
(Login artlady)
October 18 2007, 10:39 PM

I have the same issue with tops of breasts. It happened after breastfeeding. I believe that yes, it can help to develop the muscle. But I also think what happens is the breasts get so engorged during breastfeeding that the skin stretches and doesn't snap back to original size, leaving the sag and lack of fullness on top. Hopefully NBE adds something to fill the breasts. I only started Wonderup a couple of weeks ago, so no results yet.

Scorpio41
(Login scorpio41)
RE: Tops of Breasts
October 18 2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks Waxingmoon for the info. I have been doing a similar exercise to the first one, with palms pressed together etc, and then doing small circles - both forwards and back toward my body. I also need to build up the top part of my boobs (as well as increasing the whole breast) due to breastfeeding and find that this helps a bit. It's great to have someone in the fitness industry to offer this kind of advice - please keep it coming.

(.)(.)

Davilee
(Login Davi-lee)
October 19 2007, 7:09 AM

Yes,thanks for that little training plan,Waxingmoon
Thats good to know..I've never had hardly any muscle in those spots.
I will try it also.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
October 19 2007, 1:45 PM

Waxingmoon - I have been doing some of those exercises too. The pectoral muscles in women are very thin compard to in men. Men usually can't feel their ribs throuh them, while most of us women here can probably feel our ribs throguh our boobs lol. I was thinking one day that if we exercised our pectoral muscle, it would lift and fill out the spaces between the ribs, and more breast tissue would come out.
And the tops being flatter is I think simply due to gravity (yeah even for the smallest boobs).

Lousie - I think you wouldn't lose fat from the breast with this regimen. It's a common misconception that fat is being burnt in the exercised area, but it's not, it's fat all over the body. You could be genetically predisposed to lose fat from the breast really fast, but that would only happen if you did a really inetnse regimen I think.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
October 19 2007, 3:53 PM

Thanks for reminding me about that waxingmoon! When I was younger I used to copy what Marty did during the sleepover scene in the movie Grease if anyone recalls? Hand together raise your arms above your head and squeeze/tense your muscles Big Grin brusha brusha brusha

If no one else understand what I'm talking about you should all be ashamed Tongue haha

best of luck girls, I'm definitely starting these exercise routines so hopefully i can get a little boost

waxingmoon
(no login)
October 19 2007, 4:43 PM

I am glad everyone is getting some help from this. I know some of you are beyond this stage in your exercise needs and I will be adding some more exercises soon.

Louise - Moon is right. There is no spot reduction of body fat. You lose fat body wide when you exercise a certain way. Many women do lose fat first in their breasts, but it would be the same if you were exercising your legs instead of your chest.

Goatwoman - That exercise is a good one. Here is an idea for you. When we stay with the same weight we don't generate as much muscle growth as when we increase the weight in the same routine. Also, too many repetitions create a lean muscle - and for our purposes we want the muscle to bulk. Try this: Start with a 5 or 7 lb weight for 15-20 reps, then after a brief rest use the 10lb for 20 reps and then another set using a 15 lb dumbell. You will push your body harder with this method - but it is still safe to do. This will increase your muscle building faster than using a single weight for 30 reps.

Scorpio - The circling movement you describe is great. It exercises more of the muscle fibers.

Moon - You are right. Men have about 25% more muscle mass than women (we are talking average man vs average woman -individuals vary). Also due to the conveniences of modern life women and men are much less strong than they were in the past. This is especially true of our chest muscles. Things like chopping wood, kneading bread and carrying water -something most would have had in their lives 100 years ago are practically non-existent in our lives today.

waxingmoon

fengshui
(Login fengshuiTW)
October 19 2007, 5:12 PM

Thank you waxingmoon!!! This is just what I need!! :-)

Miles
(no login)
October 19 2007, 7:24 PM

Thanks for the information Waxing Moon. I has posted earlier about this exact problem (under "growth or just fat shift") as it appears that the tops of my breasts are shrinking while the undersides are growing. i mean, I'm glad something is growing, but I can't afford to lose anything from the tops, lol! I will try these excercies for a while and see what happens.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
October 19 2007, 7:42 PM

I'll let someone else be the guinea pig for this - I lose boobs far too easy, worried I shouldn't excercise anywhere which is why nearly all my weight loss is through diet with no excercise.

my tops
April 18 2006 at 3:19 PM Miss Lady (Login Miss-Lady)
Is there any way to speed up the growth in the tops of my breasts? I swear it feels like they'll never catch up with everything else Sad

Anonymous
(Login liquidSunset)
EVE MEMBERS
I know how you feel
April 18 2006, 3:59 PM

the tops of mine are not as "full" either as the sides and underneath.
I think lots of ladies on NBE notice the "top" of the breasts being the LAST part to fill out nicely.

This was bothering me to a couple of days ago and since then I do an "extra" cocoa butter massage after my regular one.(approx. for about 2-3 minutes) But the second massage, I focus just on the top,upper part of them. I hope this helps, and if so I will let you know.

Also we need to remember the boob is not just the full part we all notice, all the extra skin under the armpit and above the boob is ALL our boob. So maybe try to pay attention to that WHOLE area rather than just the most noticable part of the breast.

I hope and would think that by massageing the top of the breasts that some fat from the cocoa butter would be stored there as well.

SugarQ
(Login SugarQ)
Re: my tops
April 18 2006, 5:19 PM

the problem isnt that you are growing more in the bottom and not in the top. it has to do with firmness and lifting. if you want mor volume in the top then you need lift. but you hands at the base of your breasts and push them up. if thats what you want then you need to tighten the skin and tissue. you can try the cocoa butter, a strong PM cream like lelan vital, anbes, st. herb, and some of the cheaper ebay brands will help with that. there are also some firming gels for the breast if you google and do a search. DHEA creams and progesterone creams also are very good with firming and lifting the breast.

also how you massage also plays a big roll. look at massage techniques and find one suitable you can use what ever cream or breast batter you want. still do the circular rotations and like sunset said, concentrate a bit more on the tops.

Lynda
(Login LyndaL)
Re: my tops
April 19 2006, 8:11 PM

I totally agree, it's not a growth problem. It's all to do with firmness and lifting.

I think the only answers are massage and exercise, with the addition of any breast firming cream or lotion that can be found to work.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon