Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Foods that reduce estrogen

I thought I had recently read that grapes increase estrogen so I went out & bought Grape juice. I've been drinking it & I looked into it more and it seems grapes are used to reduce estrogen!! I want to devote this thread to posting foods to avoid if you are trying to increase estrogen.

Broccoli, cabbage, kale, mushrooms, and grapes are some of the ones I have found.

However I also read flaxseed, sesame seed, and green tea reduce estrogen? That article must be inaccurate because I've always read those things contain estrogen! Also I have read Saw palmetto can reduce estrogen. Is this true? If anyone has more info to share that would be awesome Smile

(13-02-2016, 12:02 AM)daisy134 Wrote:  I thought I had recently read that grapes increase estrogen so I went out & bought Grape juice. I've been drinking it & I looked into it more and it seems grapes are used to reduce estrogen!! I want to devote this thread to posting foods to avoid if you are trying to increase estrogen.

Broccoli, cabbage, kale, mushrooms, and grapes are some of the ones I have found.

However I also read flaxseed, sesame seed, and green tea reduce estrogen? That article must be inaccurate because I've always read those things contain estrogen! Also I have read Saw palmetto can reduce estrogen. Is this true? If anyone has more info to share that would be awesome Smile

Daisy,

More information is listed here:

Foods that promote NBE
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=19861

NBE Food
http://www.breastnexus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34

(13-02-2016, 12:37 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(13-02-2016, 12:02 AM)daisy134 Wrote:  I thought I had recently read that grapes increase estrogen so I went out & bought Grape juice. I've been drinking it & I looked into it more and it seems grapes are used to reduce estrogen!! I want to devote this thread to posting foods to avoid if you are trying to increase estrogen.

Daisy,

More information is listed here:

Foods that promote NBE
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=19861

NBE Food
http://www.breastnexus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34

Thank you Lotus! That article I read must've been wrong. I'm also guessing what I read about saw palmetto decreasing estrogen was incorrect.

I don't think you read that wrong, I believe SP does lowers estrogen levels. I did an analysis of SP a couple of years ago, (below).

Saw palmetto
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=17712

open label, dose response study to determine the effect of a dietary supplement on dihydrotestosterone, testosterone and estradiol levels in healthy males.
Angwafor F 3rd1, Anderson ML.
Author information
1Yaounde Teaching Hospital, Urological Service Department, University of Yaounde, Cameroon. fruangwafor@hotmail.com
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Maintaining endogenous testosterone (T) levels as men age may slow the symptoms of sarcopenia, andropause and decline in physical performance. Drugs inhibiting the enzyme 5alpha-reductase (5AR) produce increased blood levels of T and decreased levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). However, symptoms of gynecomastia have been reported due to the aromatase (AER) enzyme converting excess T to estradiol (ES). The carotenoid astaxanthin (AX) from Haematococcus pluvialis, Saw Palmetto berry lipid extract (SPLE) from Serenoa repens and the precise combination of these dietary supplements, Alphastat® (Mytosterone(trade mark)), have been reported to have inhibitory effects on both 5AR and AER in-vitro. Concomitant regulation of both enzymes in-vivo would cause DHT and ES blood levels to decrease and T levels to increase. The purpose of this clinical study was to determine if patented Alphastat® (Mytosterone(trade mark)) could produce these effects in a dose dependent manner.
METHODS:
To investigate this clinically, 42 healthy males ages 37 to 70 years were divided into two groups of twenty-one and dosed with either 800 mg/day or 2000 mg/day of Alphastat® (Mytosterone(trade mark)) for fourteen days. Blood samples were collected on days 0, 3, 7 and 14 and assayed for T, DHT and ES. Body weight and blood pressure data were collected prior to blood collection. One-way, repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA-RM) was performed at a significance level of alpha = 0.05 to determine differences from baseline within each group. Two-way analysis of variance (ANOVA-2) was performed after baseline subtraction, at a significance level of alpha = 0.05 to determine differences between dose groups. Results are expressed as means +/- SEM.
RESULTS:
ANOVA-RM showed significant within group increases in serum total T and significant decreases in serum DHT from baseline in both dose groups at a significance level of alpha = 0.05. Significant decreases in serum ES are reported for the 2000 mg/day dose group and not the 800 mg/day dose group. Significant within group effects were confirmed using ANOVA-2 analyses after baseline subtraction. ANOVA-2 analyses also showed no significant difference between dose groups with regard to the increase of T or the decrease of DHT. It did show a significant dose dependant decrease in serum ES levels.
CONCLUSION:
Both dose groups showed significant (p = 0.05) increases in T and decreases in DHT within three days of treatment with Alphastat® (Mytosterone(trade mark)). Between group statistical analysis showed no significant (p = 0.05) difference, indicating the effect was not dose dependent and that 800 mg/per day is equally effective as 2000 mg/day for increasing T and lowering DHT. Blood levels of ES however, decreased significantly (p = 0.05) in the 2000 mg/day dose group but not in the 800 mg/day dose group indicating a dose dependant decrease in E levels.

I am suspicious of estrogen raising/lowering food lists because they tend to list everything under the sun that has a minuscule effect, if any effect at all.

I have looked into reducing estrogen before and the foods that definitely lower it are brassicas (broccoli family) foods and certain mushrooms. I am skeptical about almost everything else. Brassicas include broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kohlrabi and collard greens. Brussel sprouts are twice as strong as the others, but cabbage is easiest to eat in large quantities. These all contain DIM which breaks down estrogen. The mushrooms are white button mushrooms, brown mushrooms, crimini and portabella mushrooms which are all the same species. They contain very strong aromatase inhibitors that are even better than DIM. That said the amounts you get from food from either of these is only enough to reduce estrogen a little. No food or herb I could find can reduce it a lot. These foods may be helpful for those with excess estrogen, besides being some of the healthiest foods in general.

As for raising estrogen the only foods that do it directly AFAIK are those that contain phytoestrogens. Which means flax, soy and hops, including beer. A little flax will do it, but it takes a very soy heavy diet to have much effect, and likewise quite a lot of beer. Indirectly foods that contain nutrients required for hormones in general are seeds such as whole grains, beans, peas, etc. I am fairly skeptical about other random foods like grape, papaya, etc. The only other common foods that I have ever read of having any real world effect on NBE in my life were canned fruits and I believe it was the harmful can liner that was providing the estrogen. And very large amounts of beer, as in a competition drinker and she only went up one size. I have read of grains/seeds and other nutrient rich foods such as parsley having a positive effect on NBE even though they have no direct estrogen effect; it's from the nutrients. Note that other veggies don't have the same nutrients as seeds, mainly only spinach, broccoli, parsley and cilantro. And green seeds of course.

Flax might also be listed as an estrogen lowering food since it has weak phytoestrogens which can also block excess estrogen. Likewise for soy.

Lotus- good to know! I had read it can interfere with bcp because it can lower estrogen. I'm definitely going to steer clear of it for now.

Surferjoe- I have been trying to consume more grains, seeds beans & peas and I have noticed much more swelling. When you say flax can block excess estrogen, would that be if a certain amount is ingested? Is there a way to avoid that from happening? Thank you for the information you posted. It definitely worth looking more into

Lotus: Aguaje

As Daisy is asking about estrogen reducing...

Anyway this Claims to be a source of BUT also a hormone balancer...

Do you hav any input? I see it's a source of fatty acids and vit c but ...

And what about progesterone cream? Thats another source of estrogen right..? dont ask me how thats possible!Rolleyes:p

(15-02-2016, 07:57 PM)hannah Wrote:  And what about progesterone cream? Thats another source of estrogen right..? dont ask me how thats possible!Rolleyes:p

Uh. She's looking for FOOD that REDUCES estrogen. PC is not a food and neither increases nor decreases estrogen, it increases progesterone.

(15-02-2016, 10:31 PM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  
(15-02-2016, 07:57 PM)hannah Wrote:  And what about progesterone cream? Thats another source of estrogen right..? dont ask me how thats possible!Rolleyes:p

Uh. She's looking for FOOD that REDUCES estrogen. PC is not a food and neither increases nor decreases estrogen, it increases progesterone.

Progesterone reduces estrogen, period. Taking progesterone improves estrogen receptor sensitivity. Common sense would be comparing foods that increase (i.e. triggers) estrogen and eliminate them from your diet if that's your goal.

@ Ella, good suggestion. Agauje looks promising, I see it as an 5 alpha reductase inhibitor of DHT, Phytoestrogen, strong antioxidants, Oliec acid, which is a omega w-9 fatty acid, (GOOD for Boob growth). Though the starch in aguaje might be a problem (digestion). Starch is in PM too, part of the reason I believe why people run into trouble getting stomach pain, diarrhea etc. the species looks more female than male, I'm interested in finding out more info on that though.

Anticancer properties of carotenoids in prostate cancer. A review.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2605...t=Abstract

PHENOMENAL CURVES
http://phenomenalcurves.com/store/page3.html

Ecology of Economically Important Palms in Peruvian Amazonia
http://horizon.documentation.ird.fr/exl-...005452.pdf

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon