Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

take herbs on full or empty stomach?

take herbs on full or empty stomach?
October 23 2006 at 5:22 PM
yvonne (Login yvonne03)
i noticed that a lot of girls are saying that they take their herbs on an empty stomach. but i just read on the wonderup bottle to take them "preferably at mealtime".

i was just wondering why the discrepancy? does anyone have any thoughts or comments about this-i am trying to decide what would be best for me to do.

Miss Monet
(Login friskyflirt)
Re: take herbs on full or empty stomach?
October 24 2006, 6:11 AM

Definately take herbs WITH FOOD. I thought I could just take them on an empty stomach, but I was so wrong! I had lower abdominal pains, a headache, and I felt *very* nauseus --- it sucked. Sad But when I took the herbs with food I had no bad symptoms.

Betty
(no login)
October 24 2006, 9:56 AM

I take them on an empty stomach and it's been OK for me. I never have any kind of diegstive problems though and am not sensitive to anything I eat.

Amanda
(no login)
October 24 2006, 9:01 PM

I take herbs on an empty stomach AND at mealtimes, by taking them just before I eat.

With or without chow?
December 9 2006 at 5:12 PM
Jess (Login IttyBittyTitty)
Hey y'all,

Can anyone tell me: Is it better to take your supplements with or without food? Does it even matter? And if it's without food, how long until you can eat? I realize probably everyone does it a little different but I'm not sure which to start out doing.

Got all my boobie pills except Wild Yam and Vitex! Woohoo. Now after reading the posts I'm not sure which I should take, or if it's ok to take both simultaneously. Any suggestions? Ordered the Wild Yam before I even heard about the Vitex which is why both are on the way, but of course the yam will be here first. Also decided to hold off on the EPO for now. Haven't popped a single pill and just am trying to get everything in order before I do. :-)

--IttyB

jellyboobs
(Login jellyboobs)
EVE MEMBERS
HI jess and good luck with your growth !!!!
December 9 2006, 9:58 PM

well with herbs its important to take them at regular times if possible !!! and 1/2 hour before meals is good so they can get to work fast or about 2 hours after meals but I think it works best before ! !!! there are a few views but this ones the most used I think. If your taking BO well thats another story and out of my league !!! good luck and lots of success to you love jellyDeeee......

Jess
(Login IttyBittyTitty)
Re: With or without chow?
December 9 2006, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the info, Jelly. I'm not doing BO--not yet, anyway. If herbs don't help me that's likely what I'll try. I was thinking about taking them at 6:30 am (before breakfast), 2:30 pm (after lunch), and 10:30 pm (after dinner). Does this sound ok? Or do you mean a half hour before every meal? Cause that would seem rather frequent but I guess I don't really know.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
December 9 2006, 11:53 PM

It really depends on your own comfort. Some take their herbs on empty stomachs and others do not. I always take mine after a meal, because for me, taking herbs on an empty stomach causes hydrochloric acid to rise, and due to family history, I don't want to increase my chances of developing stomach ulcers.

Anonymous
(Login kittycatra)
December 10 2006, 12:43 AM

I've read in several articles that it's best to take herbs with food so that they are well absorbed along with food. If I find an article for you I will post it.
That would be a better idea IMO anyway along with what Moonkissed above me said about the hydrochloric acid.

mitharatowen
(Login mitharatowen)
December 10 2006, 5:07 AM

ive heard that its best to take them on an empty stomach so that they are aborbed quicker. however i always take them with meals for the sake of conveinence. breakfast lunch and dinner is when i sit down and have the time and the proper amount of liquids to be able to take alot of pills lol. otherwise id never do it!

poll, empty stomache or full stomache, and thoughts!
November 18 2006 at 6:53 PM diana (Login Diana1978)
just wondering if you ladies take your pills on an empty stomache or with meals like some bottles say and your reasoning behind it. thanks. Smile

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
depends
November 18 2006, 7:43 PM

i usually do it on an empty stomach, just because of the timing at which i take my pills and because i cant take them near when i take my colonix cleansing program... so i cant take them in the morning so i take them with a protein shake (within half an hour). lunchtime is too early for the next batch of pills so i take them about two hours after i eat, usually. then dinnertime is again too early and i dont like to eat right before bed, which is when i take my last dose.

so by default, i take them without food, though im usually not super hungry... because then i feel queasy.

hugs and good boobie wishes to all!

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: poll, empty stomache or full stomache, and thoughts!
November 18 2006, 8:33 PM

The argument to take them on empty stomach is that the herbs don't have to compeate with food and so may get better absorption. The argument to take them, with a meal is that pills on empty stomach may upset your stomach. I usually take them on empty stomach due to timing as well, but I'm not sure if I believe that about better absorption.

Zoe
(Login minsky)
EVE MEMBERS
November 24 2006, 8:21 PM

I take them at mealtimes because I always remember that way. I can never remember other times. The half an hour before you eat idea doesn't work for me as I don't always know when I'm going to eat. The half an hour afterwards doesn't work either becasue I've forgotten by then.

diana
(Login Diana1978)
lol
November 24 2006, 9:13 PM

i do the same thing as u. i take mine while i make breakfast. which might take anywhere from 5- 20 min 2 prepare. at lunch, the same thing, then at night i take them right before going to bed.good luck to all.

Alcest
(Login Alcest)
November 24 2006, 9:25 PM

I don't care whether my stomache's empty or not. I take them when it's time to take them. When I wake up, then at 4pm, and then when I go to bed. I try to spread them about 8 hours apart.

tms81
(Login tms81)
November 24 2006, 10:40 PM

Well i try to take them on an empty stomach but it is not that easy because i am always on the run, but i at least get the morning dosages on an empty stomach

faith_full
(Login faith_full)
November 27 2006, 9:35 AM

I dont take pills on an empty stomach as if i do it usully makes me feel sick

When to take
March 4 2006 at 6:32 PM Janie (no login)
Hi everyone,

when is the best time to take herbs ... full or empty stomach?

Sunset
(no login)
Janie
March 4 2006, 6:57 PM

I have always read to take on an empty stomach. I guess it helps to ensure better absorbtion? but I have also read that if it makes your stomach upset than you can take it with food.

So I guess the "best" way is once again--what works for you.
If it makes you sick to take them on an empty stomach, then the "best" way for YOU to take them would be after eating.

Steph
(no login)
Re: When to take
March 4 2006, 9:06 PM

Hi Janie,every herb will come with its own specific directive so I would just follow whats "recommended" for each individual herb rather than a "one size fits all" policy unless that becomes too "complicated" due to hectic schedual,varied meal times ect.

Janie
(no login)
Thanks
March 4 2006, 9:12 PM

Thanks everyone. The bottles all say with meals so that is what I'll do

Amelia
(no login)
Re: When to take
March 5 2006, 5:16 PM

A herbalist once told me either half an hour before eating or two hours after eating.

Having said that, I think taking herbs CONSISTENTLY is the most important thing.

Wonder Up, with or with out food?
August 13 2006 at 4:00 AM SassiP (Login SassiP)
To those who take wonder up, do you take it with food as recommended on the bottle or do you take it on an empty stomach?

Thank you

BJ
(Login SmallGurl)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Wonder Up, with or with out food?
August 13 2006, 5:23 AM

I don't usually take mine w/ food but sometimes I do. I also am not doing very well on it so maybe it should be taken w/ food. It says on the bottle to take with food so maybe it helps w/ absorption?

SassiP
(no login)
August 13 2006, 5:34 AM

I read on the BE forum which encourages single herbs that you should take herbs 2hrs after eating and 20 min before. Im wondering if its the same with formula herbs such as WU. I asked the vortex health company that sells WU online and they said it doesnt matter to take it with food or not as long as you take it with water.

But Im still curious as to those here that are taking it. If they are doing it with or with out food and if there are having success.

How long have you been using WU? Are you also massaging and taking extra protein?

Mingmei
(Login Mingmei)
August 13 2006, 8:00 AM

Chinese method to take herbs is half an hour before food or half an hour after food. I was told by a Chinese doctor this is the way of best absorption.

Sarah_michelle
(Login sarah_michelle)
August 13 2006, 12:11 PM

Interesting question.

As you have contacted the company I'm sure they are pretty much right.

Bit of info on the "when" and "why" of taking things tho:

Taking any supplements on an empty stomach results in the herbs being absorbed quickly into the body. Taking suppliments with food results in a slower more even release of the herb into the body which will span over a longer period of time. This is becacue the herbs get absorbed along with the food nutrients as it is digested. Maybe the wonderup company beleive a steady flow of herbs into the system is slightly more effective???? (me speculating).

On the other hand, some compounds compete with food for absorption, like iron. I don't think any of these are in WU but I'm not sure about other breast enhancement herbs.

Everyone has their own routine and chances are the ingerdience will get absorbed anyway and have an effect. I often wonder which is more important, the eating with food or the spaces between tablets....trying not to get wrapped up in the finer detail tho!! lol.

Hope all is going well SassiP

SassiP
(Login SassiP)
BJ
August 14 2006, 7:52 PM

BJ,
I looked over your program and Ive noticed you havent posted in a few months. How's things going on wonderup?

Sanoe

BJ
(Login SmallGurl)
EVE MEMBERS
August 17 2006, 5:10 AM

Hi Sassi, as of right now they are not going too well. I did well my first couple of months and posted a pic but haven't posted anything else since because there really hasn't been a change that is positive. I would get larger, smaller, larger, smaller etc., and now I feel like I totally lost all I had gained but am finally starting to get fuller again. So it's coming back and I still plan on sticking with it a bit longer (I am in my 5th month already) even though it is frustrating. I am kind of under a huge amount of stress lately and can't say that I have been religiously taking them and eating as well as I should. I'm getting back on track now though and hopefully I'll keep gaining. I sure hope everything goes well for you! Take care Smile

Yes I also massage and take protein shakes.

Best methods of taking wonderup
November 7 2007 at 6:48 PM madboobie (Login madboobie)
Hello all...

have received first bottle of wonderup and am seking advice....

i read on the label that it is best taken with meals - would this be your advice as successful growers? I am wondering whether the active ingredents might get lost in al that food! (Gross, I know.) Is there any sense in which an empty stomach would be better?

Also can i just dive straight in or is there a particular time of the month when I should begin?

And is there any sense in starting with 4 rather than 6 tablets while the body adapts?

Thanks so much for any advice. LOl

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
Re: best methods of taking wonderup
November 7 2007, 6:55 PM

I take it with food as it says on the bottle, now you've paid the money for it the company wants you to have the best result so I'd follow their instructions. You can start right away although some people notice boob swelling right before their period so if you're near the end of your cycle and you get growth the first week it's more likely to be just swelling. Are you normal size / weight or really really tiny? I went straight onto 6, I'm 5'1 and 107 lbs and I felt weird boob feelings after about 4 days - difficult to tell about progress as I use Brava too, also I've had hormonal problems and the meds affect my digestion so don't know how much of the stuff I'm actually absorbing. Try to massage as much as possible - I only did it a couple of times as you're not supposed to massage with Brava and I think it may have been the massage that gave the tingles / aches - using oil feels nice and is gentler on the skin than using nothing.

Penny
(Login Pen1980)
November 7 2007, 7:05 PM

I have been taking WU for about two weeks now and to be honest I just take it when I have planned whether I have eaten or not.

Alot of people say take it half an hour before food or two hours after food, plus not to take it when you have had some caffeine.

I am not sure whether it makes much difference but its always nicer on the stomach to take with food.

Good luck,
Penny x

4boysmom
(Login 4boysmom)
November 7 2007, 9:39 PM

I try to take it every 8 hours just so that the herbs are around the clock, so it isn't always with meals but I usually eat a little snack if it sisn't mealtime Ie a piece of string cheese or something. Still trying to figure out if this is the best way or if I should do it 3 times a day with my meals. I also have a really weird schedule ( I work 4 10 hour overnight shifts (10pm-8am) per week.

This message has been edited by jamesredred on Feb 7, 2016 12:51 PM

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS
November 8 2007, 10:11 AM

How about taking Wonderup a few minutes before eating? That way they are taken on an empty stomach but also just before a meal.

Candy
(Login candy.barr)
November 11 2007, 4:17 PM

I've been taking Wonderup just before meals and this method seems to be working well for me.

Andrea
(Login Andrea)
November 12 2007, 12:33 PM

I don't think the time of taking herbs really makes any difference. Just remember to take them every day without fail and every dose without fail, as I think consistency is the key.

EXACT times to take herbs? Would like to know everyone's habits.
October 3 2006 at 9:11 PM lani (Login Laniboo)
Hello all! Just wondering what times of day everyone is taking herbs. I know they are supposed to be spaced out (by 8 hours if possible), but I have trouble taking my WU at the EXACT same time everyday. My classes start at different times in the morning, plus over weekends, I tend to sleep in more. So I usually take my first dose anywhere from 9am-11am which shifts the other doses accordingly (ie, 4-6 afternoon dose, 11-1am night dose). Is this ok? There is a about a 2 hour window that I try to take my herbs, but it differs depending on the day. How is everyone else going about this? Would it be better for me to stick to exact times of day? Also, how do you remember to take them??? I am having some trouble with that and I end up being late sometimes. Any help would be apreciated!

Alcest
(Login Alcest)
Re: EXACT times to take herbs? Would like to know everyone's habits.
October 4 2006, 3:57 AM

I didn't know we were supposed to takethem at the same time every day?
I'm also in school andit's hard to take them at the same time, or even the same doses. The doses and times vary for me,however, I take most of everything atnight before I go to bed... I like this because this way I'm bloated while I'm sleeping..not during school as much.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Night Time
October 4 2006, 11:26 AM

One of the best times to take your herbs is at bedtime , cause thats when the growth hormone in your body is at its peek, first 90 minutes of sleep is strongest time period for growing.

Coffeegirl
(Login coffeegirl77)
October 4 2006, 3:08 PM

I don't know that the exact time matters, but spacing the doses out does seem to help. I take mine around 7am, 3pm, and 10pm.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
BE Board swear by it!!!
October 4 2006, 3:33 PM

Deborah swears that is the best growing time. At bedtime, first 90 minutes of sleep is peek growth hormone activity. Anyway I have switched and take my herbs at nite so I will get back to you on this in a couple of weeks. PrettySoulful on this forum said it made big difference in her growth.

gingerD
(Login gingerD)
October 4 2006, 4:41 PM

I tend to take my pills sperodically through out the day.-I pop a couple then take 1 bit latter then 2 more etc-there is no timing at all im afraid
I tend not to take them at all after 7.00pm I do my massage at night
snowflake-i did not know that!!
hhhhmmmm i am going to have to re think my night time activity-im looseing presious growing time.
Thank you very much 4 that useful tip!

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
October 4 2006, 5:12 PM

Should all the pills be taking at night? Or just make sure there is at least one dose before bed?, I am curious about this, my pills usually fall at 8am, 3pm, and 9pm ~ bed by 9:30ish.

Jen
(Login js89)
EVE MEMBERS
October 4 2006, 5:26 PM

The idea of spacing your herbs is to that the body is never "without" herbs. I think I've read that it's best to space them about 8 hours apart for maximum benefit, with your last dose being before massage and bed. So, 3 times a day, 8 hours apart - for WU users anyway.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Save some for nite time.
October 4 2006, 5:35 PM

I don't take that many.SP, fennel and wild yam. I take 1 fennel and 1 wild yam in morning, then at bedtime, I save my strongest,,, for me, Saw Palmetto, at bedtime along with another fennel and wild Yam. I know its important to keep herbs in system through out the day, but don't forget to take a good bedtime dose. Also try and do massage and heat pad at bedtime for the most benefits you can give yourself. Remember I talking indvidual herbs. Someone on Wonder Up, may take a Saw Palmetto with their bedtime wonderup pills. Try and regulate herb routine so that the strongest pills or herbs are being taken at night.

tip for better pill absorption
December 19 2006 at 6:57 AM
organic angel (Login organic_angel)
Hello organic beauties!

Ok...another brainstorm. This is hopefully a tip to help us better absorb our pills and capsules. A method used in the medical world, is to crush pills with a mortar, for patients to take, and mix with a soft bland food (applesauce; pudding, etc) This is done for patients who have trouble swallowing; can't swallow big pills; etc. This ensures the maximum absorption of the pills and capsules. (remove the contents from the capsules) Also, when pills are crushed and ground, and when capsule contents are removed from their casing, they are better assimilated in the body. Applesauce proves to mix the best, and helps to disguise any unpleasant tastes.

Anonymous
(Login valeryblack)
Re: tip for better pill absorption
December 19 2006, 9:32 AM

the usual advice is to take pills a while before or after eating. Are you sure about taking them with food? Big Grin

Merrik
(Login Merrik)
December 19 2006, 9:37 AM

I'm not sure if this is the same for herbs, as they'e not as strong as medications, but in many cases in health care, it is not advised to crush or spit pills, as they can often case stomach irritations through the larger surface areas, and thus quicker breakdown. Also some tablets come coated, to further make the absorbsion gradual and so by crushing or spliting, can cause irritations.
As I said I dont think this would particularly apply to herbs, but just in case...

organic angel
(Login organic_angel)
just an idea
December 19 2006, 12:04 PM

Hi organic beauties

It's just a thought on possible better absorption. Herbs technically are considered a food and are advised to be taked on an empty stomach, as they each have their own individual plant enzymes that assist in assimilation. But for those who can't take them on an empty stomach, or just choose to for convenience, it's just a tip for possibly getting more of the herbs into your system. Only 10-20% of ingested herbs, etc are actually fully absorbed, due to the harshness of the digestive system, starting with the stomach, which churns out acid to break down food. The majority of the pills being taken for nbe shouldn't cause any irritation, but that is why the ground mixture would be mixed with a small amount of bland food, to buffer any irritation, and to cause a quick transit through the stomach.

Anonymous
(Login valeryblack)
December 19 2006, 3:24 PM

Aha,got it.Thanks

Taking pills with or without pills?
February 12 2007 at 3:14 AM snowdrops (Login snowdropsfalling)
I've read alot of posts saying it's best to take it without meals for full absorption. However on the Wonderup site it said the following:

Should I take the tablets with meals?

The label on the bottle states "preferably at mealtimes", but this is not critical for the effectiveness of the herbs. The important thing is to take the tablets 3 times a day and that the 3 times are well spaced-out. Take 2 tablets on each occasion, so 6 a day in total.

I had always thought it was best to take any vitamin with a meal except some particular ones like same , htp5, etc. so that it would absorb and assimilate into your body better. Not to mention on all my bottles like my fish oil, flax, fennel, etc. it says take it with a meal and a glass of water. I am just really confused at the conflicting views on this forum and on the bottles and other sites. I find it hard especially in the morning to take pills without eating as I feel queasy with alot of pills so I take pills after eating. I was thinking of take extracts so I wouldn't have to deal with swallowing as I feel really dehydrated with capsules and I figured then it wouldn't matter so much when I take it?

Sandy
(Login sandy111)
Pills before or after meals.
February 12 2007, 9:12 AM

Hi snowdrops.You are right that vitamins should be taken with meals that is becuause it is supplementary,meaning that it is considered as if you are taking the vitamins from the meals you are eating.BB says that the pills should be taken before meals,I am sure as Michelle Choi said they made some research and found out that their pill works best if not taken with a meal. If wonderup says with a meal or before(I forgot what you mentioned)then you should follow there instructions because they say it for a reason.They must have done research too.Vitamins are very different from herbal supplements and BO. That is my opinion.Good Luck.
Sandy

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: Taking pills with or without pills?
February 12 2007, 10:16 AM

It seems unbelievable to me that taking herbs with a meal would diminish their absorption because of competing for binding sites. The surface of digestive tract is very large and has many cells.

On a little research I found thins:

"Normally, one takes these food supplement pills during meals. This is because our body is triggered into ``food absorption'' mode when eating normal meals and because the body is used to absorbing combined food packages instead of sometimes only bulk foodstuffs and at separate times only bare vitamins -- the vitamin pills will be absorbed better by the body when taken mixed together with a normal meal."

snowdrops
(Login snowdropsfalling)
Re: Taking pills with or without pills?
February 12 2007, 1:19 PM

Thanks that is what I believed but thought it very conflicting and I have a harder time taking down pills without meals. I had always thought it absorbed better with meals since that made more sense to me as I heard taking just a pill the body would regard it as a foreign matter and not break it down as real food.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon