Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Milk Thistle

Milk thistle
December 2 2006 at 9:11 AM Anna (Login anna-a)
Hello,

I'm a little confused about milk thistle. Is it just for cleansing or does it has a function in NBE? I bought it to cleanse (together with nettle leef, both in liquid form) but I don't want to stop taking my erdic pills while I'm using it

Greets,

Anna

Jennelle
(Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Milk thistle
December 3 2006, 12:03 PM

Milk Thistle is used as an ingredient in Wonderup, so on that basis I'm guessing that it has a purpose for breast enhancement.

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
both
December 3 2006, 1:06 PM

i think that by acting as a little bit of a cleanse, it is helping your liver to absorb more from the pills and therefore is good for nbe... thats why it is in things like wonderup. i know that since i started my cleanse (i am doing one that can be done while on nbe) i have gotten more pains and faster growth... so keeping a cleaner liver can help a lot!

hugs and good boobie wishes

what is milk thistle??
January 16 2007 at 8:25 PM Sheila (no login)
Can someone explain to me what milk thistle does for NBE?

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: what is milk thistle??
January 16 2007, 10:43 PM

Milk thistle is a liver cleanser, it protects liver against oxidative damage and stimulates its regeneration. A healthy liver is very important for NBE, cause herb substances convert into useful forms in the liver, also liver gets a bit 'worked up' with herbs in the long run and needs some support. I do not understand your second question though. It's advisable to include milk thistle into a NBE routine, but in small ammounts or only in certain times, to not take it all the time, as it may cause hair loss.

Miss Monet
(Login friskyflirt)
Re: what is milk thistle??
January 17 2007, 6:49 AM

Also, be weary about taking it if you're on birth control. According to DrugDigest.org, "Milk Thistle may interfere with the effectiveness of estrogen by blocking an enzyme that breaks down estrogen in the body. As a result, estrogen products may not be as effective... in addition, oral contraceptives may not be as effective and an unintended pregnancy could result."

BLessed Thistle and Milk Thistle ( Whats The Dif ? )
March 3 2006 at 10:56 AM MyKids3 (no login)
Does any one know the difference between Blessed Thistle and Milk Thistle.I bought some Milk Thistle,but then I saw that some women were using Blessed Thistle in their routine.Noboby in this forum is using BT. Which one of these do you think would be better to use.Im confused by the two.

MyKids3
(Login MyKids3)
EVE MEMBERS
PS
March 3 2006, 11:31 AM

IF I take milk thistle, do you think I can add it to my routine or should I take it by itself without the herbs Im taking?And how do I know if the milk thistle is working for me or not,Sorry if I mention this subject on an earlier post, dint look before I leaped .

Molly
(no login)
Re: BLessed Thistle and Milk Thistle ( Whats The Dif ? )
March 3 2006, 3:14 PM

Blessed Thistle and Milk Thistle are in the same family of herbs but they are not closely related.

Sunset
(no login)
Here is a little info on both:
March 3 2006, 3:46 PM

BLESSED THISTLE
----------------
Human experiments have confirmed this herbs folkloric use as a gastrointestinal.

TRADITIONAL USAGES
Blessed thistle has been recordedas a medicinal since the first century A.D. Credited with the medical virtues of a DIURETIC,DIAPHORETIC,FEBRIFUGE,and cholagogue, it has been used to treat a variety of ailments.

* It is a bitter tonic and a good appetite stimulant, and is still used today to treat indigestion.
*At one time this herb was ascribed the nearly supernatural qualities of a "cure all".

*blessed thistle has been considered an excellent appetite stimulant. It was also taken to relieve INDIGESTION,treat LIVER and GALLBLADDER dissorders.
Also has been taken to treat VENEREAL disease, and to lower FEVER.

RECENT SCIENTIFIC FINDINGS
*at one time it was considered to be a "cure all" herb, but current knowledge yeilds no evidence to support such a belief.

*On the other hand, the use of leaf decoctions as a bitter tonic is well founded.the bitter principal that is in this plant is known to be cnicin,and human experiments have shown that extracts of blessed thistle stimulate the production of gastric juices, confirming its folkloric use as a gastrointestinal.

*Cell cultures have shown cytotoxicity against cancer cells using extact of blessed thistle and ANTITUMOR ACTIVITY in mouse cancer (sarcoma) as well.

*studies with extracts of BT have shown considerable ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY against a wide variety of organisms.

Sunset
(no login)
MILK THISTLE
March 3 2006, 4:00 PM

The seeds contain silymarin, a flavonoid that is effective for liver disorders.

TRADITIONAL USAGES
For centuries, Milk Thistle (MT) has been used in folkloric medicine.
The seeds were believed to act most directly to protect the LIVER.

RECENT SCIENTIFIC FINDINGS
One active component extracted from MT seeds is silymarin, long recognized for its ability to benefit people with LIVER DISORDERS. AND as a protective compound against liver-damaging agents as diverse as mushroom toxins,carbon tetrachloride, and other chemicals. This flavoniod demonstrates GOOD ANTIOXIDANT properties, both in vivo, and in vitro.

Chilean scientists have also found silymarin to increase the content of liver glutathione (GSH) an effect NOT known with other closely related flavoniods.

*silymarin protects the liver.
*a study found that MT may offer some protection against the toxic side-effects of the common pain-reliving drug acetaminophen,which is widely used a fever medication.

Steph
(no login)
Oops
March 3 2006, 9:05 PM

I think I got the 2 confused as well when Ive been recommending LIVER herbs and gosh I hope not and if I did then why didnt someone post after me and CORRECT me...oh great..sorry to anyone I may have misinformed on this topic..lol

Sunset
(no login)
Both of them
March 4 2006, 12:46 AM

Both of them are benificial to the liver, as far as I understand.

Betty
(no login)
Re: Both of them
March 4 2006, 10:01 PM

I've seen people confused over this before. Both herbs are used in NBE, but milk thistle is not the same as blessed thistle.

Milk thistle
August 2 2006 at 3:28 PM littlelibrarian (no login)
When you take the milk thistle the week before your period; do you still take your herbs?

Jennelle
(Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS
August 2 2006, 6:34 PM

I thought the idea was to take Milk Thistle for a week BEFORE taking herbs.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
August 3 2006, 8:22 AM

This may be slightly off-topic, but does milk thistle work as a galactagogue? The reason I ask is because one website lists it as in ineffective herb for BE, stating: many books list [milk thistle] as a galactagogue and if you go to the Health Food store and ask for Blessed Thistle, they may try to sell you Milk Thistle instead. Don't waste your money! They are not the same thing and Milk Thistle doesn't work. It's called milk thistle because it's sap is milky white, not because it helps make more milk" ().

Has anyone tried it and had success using milk (not blessed) thistle?

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS
August 3 2006, 10:04 AM

I would have to say the article you quoted is wrong and that Milk Thistle is a galactagogue.
The best site on the net for information on galactagogues is surely 'kellycom' which lists Milk Thistle as a galactagogue.
See www.kellymom.com or this page in particular:
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksuppl...ilkthistle
Milk Thistle is also mentioned as a galactagogue at the vortexhealth site which I have always found reliable.

Obaapa
(Login Obaapa)
August 3 2006, 10:15 AM

Wow did not realise this info about milk thistle. I know it is very good for the liver, becos I know it is highly recommended if you drink a lot of alcohol, it will give you some mileage on your liver

Vicky A
(Login VickyA)
August 3 2006, 1:51 PM

Milk thistle is certainly good for the liver, even without drinking any alcohol.

littlelibrarian
(no login)
MILK thistle
August 3 2006, 2:25 PM

Does anyone know once you've started the herbal program of your choice - when do you take the milk thistle or do you not need to take a break and cleanse - nobody has answered my question yet.

Alison
(Login Alison.)
August 3 2006, 7:49 PM

Some people believe you need to take a break and some people believe that you don't. If you've definitely ceased to make any progress it seems that it worth be worth trying a break then to see if that helped.

Wild Flower
(Login wild.flower)
August 8 2006, 8:04 AM

As Alison said, some take breaks and some don't. It's a matter of opinion whether you do or not, so I don't think anyone can give you an answer and say it's the right answer. It seems it's all a matter of opinion.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon