Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Black Cohosh

Just curious...
November 13 2006 at 5:54 AM
Miss Monet (Login friskyflirt)
Has anyone incorporated Black Cohosh into their program(s)? Many sources state it's high in phytoestrogens, yet I don't see too many women using it. Just curious as to why not... I also haven't seen too much Blessed Thistle, Nettle, or Goat's Rue (which are supposedly really good galactagogues). Are they not as effective as other herbs or something?

gingerD
(Login gingerD)
Re: Just curious...
November 13 2006, 1:00 PM

Actually-Since i did a big list of ingredients in NBE pills-C resource page, Black Cohosh is mentioned in alot of nbe pills.
However since i joined the forum i have not read any one taking it indervidually
so i don't know to be honerst but this is what i found out for you

Herbal use

Black cohosh is an herbal medication included in dietary supplements designed for women which may help the symptoms of premenstrual tension, menopause and other gynecological problems. It was thought that black cohosh contained estrogen-like chemicals, but recent research suggests that it works by binding to serotonin receptors. Native Americans used black cohosh to treat other disorders as well, including sore throats and kidney problems.

Black cohosh has been used as an abortifacient.

Side effects

Black cohosh should not be used during pregnancy or lactation. There is a case report of neurological complications in a postterm baby after labor induction with a mixture of black cohosh and blue cohosh (Caullophylum thalictroides) during a home birth.[1] Other cases of adverse outcomes experienced by neonates born to women who reportedly used blue cohosh to induce labor have been published in peer-reviewed journals.[2]

Black cohosh produces endometrial stimulation. Since black cohosh increases blood flow to the pelvic area, its use is not recommended during menses as it may increase or prolong bleeding.[3] Because of the possible estrogenic action, it should be used with caution after six months.[4] Additionally, black cohosh contains tannin, which inhibits iron absorption.[5] This, considered with possible effects of enhancing menstrual bleeding, gives good cause to monitor iron stores when taking black cohosh.

Hope this helps

Mel
(Login kittygirl56)
November 13 2006, 6:44 PM

black cohosh is not in the pills I take but it is in the topical jell I use. I've only been using it for 3 days so I'm not sure if it is effective or not...but I'll keep you posted Wink

Boobies06
(Login boobies06)
November 19 2006, 6:03 PM

I heard on another breast enhancement board that Black Cohosh really speeds up your growth, but that the effects aren't long-term. I don't know, I'm not an expert. I, however, am willing to try it. I'll do anything to speed up my process, so I just want to see how much it actually helps. And who knows? Maybe for me the results will be long term?

Is black cohosh dangerous?
January 9 2007 at 12:18 PM crystal Li (Login 17280)
does any1 know if black cohosh is dangerous? it seems to be in most nbe products, im thinking of trying some nbe products from a site called PIERRE SILBER if i dont succseed with natureday. this site has a couple of choices of supplements for nbe to expand mammary gland.

Xtina
(Login xtina12)
Re: Is black cohosh dangerous?
January 9 2007, 1:16 PM

the only thing I really know about the negativity of black cohosh is that it lessens the protection birth control can give you against pregnancy.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
January 9 2007, 1:37 PM

I remeber reading somewhere that black cohoch was not really a good herb for NBE, but more for menopouse, cause it blocks something, I don't remeber how it went, but I have the description saved somewhere, I'll see if I can find it later.

diana
(Login Diana1978)
well
January 9 2007, 3:23 PM

the only thing instance i have heard of black(or blue, for that matter) cohosh being dangerous is in pregnancy. if early in the pregnancy, it will cause a miscarriage, or if later in pregnancy, it will start labor. a very helpful herb for those women at their due date or past it! good luck

ManyQuestions
(Login ManyQuestions)
January 11 2007, 3:37 PM

Someone on a different Forum said that black cohosh can help with nipple sexual responsiveness and sensitivity. Does anyone who has tried black cohosh have an opinion on this?

Erica
(Login em357304)
January 11 2007, 10:13 PM

I used black cohosh in my program for a few weeks...I never took it internally because I read somewhere that there could be some health risks if you take it regularly...I don't remember what it was...I used it in my massage and it gave me quite a bit of swelling for the first week or so, but it seemed like my body got used to it and it didn't work it's magic anymore...i've never heard that it interfeared with birth control, i'll have to do some more research on it...but i don't think that you could get enough through massage to effect it...but anyway...if you want to try it I don't really have anything bad to say about it...

Mary
(Login Marya521)
Erika
January 11 2007, 11:26 PM

I'm going to do some research too to see if black cohash interferes with birth control too, but please let us know if you find anything out, as will I. The products I ordered has that herb in it (they haven't gotten here yet)

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
Is black cohosh dangerous?
January 12 2007, 12:14 AM

Yep, I think it can be dangerous. Black Cohosh is a luteinizing hormone inhibitor so you definitely do not want anything to do with it unless you are menopausal. As I remember, menopausal woman have a steady increase in LH, so this may be of help. However, Black Cohosh also binds to serotonin receptors. If you are on SRIs this could be a problem. There are a myriad of other side effects of this herb including that is it may cause miscarriages.

Black Cohosh?
December 8 2006 at 12:11 PM Glamma (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you ladies use this herb for? Will this help reduce my bloating?

Thanx

diana
(Login Diana1978)
SENIOR MEMBER embarassed repeating this... December 8 2006, 8:19 PM

i have used this herb 4 times in my life. to induce labor. worked brilliantly every time. within 24 hrs each time. sorry i couldnt be more help. good luck.

jellyboobs
(Login jellyboobs)
EVE MEMBERS hi glamma!! December 8 2006, 9:55 PM

I take remifemmin for menopause this is largely based on black cohosh I think ! it relives any mood swings and hot flushes during menopause and I find it works well for me when I take it, love jellyuDeee..

Katie M
(No login )
EVE MEMBERS hi glamma!! December 9 2006, 11:27 PM

Black cohosh seems to be in most NBE products.

Black Cohash??
March 27 2006 at 8:22 PM
Brenda (Login Curlergirl)
EVE MEMBERS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been researching this herb - it is mentioned a lot in BE. But I also heard that it causes you to retain water??? Is this right????

Sunset
(Login liquidSunset)
EVE MEMBERS black cohosh March 27 2006, 10:49 PM

I know that lots of "breast pills" contain this, but I wouldnt consider it a NBE herb.

It has been warned that it can cause hepititis (liver damage) and it could send the body into an attack on the liver. Please study it more before adding it to a routine just to be safe ok?

Lolly
(no login) Re: Black Cohash?? March 29 2006, 10:48 PM

I've heard Black Cohosh described as one of the true super herbs and one of the few herbs recommended by medical science.

Black Cohosh-I just found this, may want to read if takeing it
February 22 2006 at 5:09 PM sunset (no login)
Oct. 17, 2003 (BALTIMORE) -- Black cohosh, an herbal remedy gaining popularity as a panacea for the hot flashes, mood swings, and other symptoms of menopause, can cause the body's immune system to launch an attack on the liver, doctors warn.

Stanley M. Cohen, MD, assistant professor of medicine at the University of Chicago, tells WebMD that he and colleagues have diagnosed what they believe is the first case of autoimmune hepatitis caused by the use of black cohosh.

A progressive inflammation of the liver, caused by the body's immune system attack on liver cells --autoimmune hepatitis can cause people to become so tired that even crossing the room is a chore. Some patients complain of abdominal discomfort, others of achy joints and itching. The skin may become yellow, and the liver can become enlarged. Without proper treatment, this serious illness progresses and most people eventually die. The disease is thought to have some genetic link, with women accounting for as many as 70% of the patients

(Thought someone may find it usefull.)

Steph
(no login)
Besides the noted health risks,
February 22 2006, 8:11 PM

BC is considered ineffective for lasting NBE b/c although it may cause breast "swelling",its been proven to be a very temporary result that ends as soon as the herb is stopped,where as most other NBE herbs may have a more lasting result.

sunset
(no login)
I had no clue
February 22 2006, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the info Steph.
I had heard it was one of the NBE herbs, but I hadn't looked it up realy until early today, thats when I found that article. I didnt really see anytihng on it that backed it up as a good one for nbe. It did have lots of other good uses though.

That article just shocked me, and I thought I would pass it along. I want everyone here to be as "safe" as they can while doing this.

Steph
(no login)
Re: Black Cohosh-I just found this, may want to read if takeing it
February 23 2006, 12:43 AM

Yup,ur 100% correct that many BE products add this herb to their formula and as far as real results go I dont know why they do that knowing the "truth",some brands may add it for balance vs growth maybe but theres little doubt in my mind that many of them add it as an NBE "claim" as well.

sunset
(no login)
Re: Black Cohosh-I just found this, may want to read if takeing it
February 23 2006, 3:33 PM

I have to say I agree with you. I've seen black cohosh referred to many times as a breast growth herb.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon