Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Pumpkin seed oil

pumpkin seed oil
July 9 2006 at 9:05 AM fengshui (Login fengshuiTW)
dear sweet ladies, i read this in Taiwan's forum, this girl says she take 2 borage oil and 2 pumpkin seeds oil per day for a while and she's had a great gorwth.
i did a little research, the pumpkin seeds oil seems to be for men only. what r ur thoughts? is it worth a try?
thanks all the NBE guru here. u guys r really great!!!! :-)

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: pumpkin seed oil
July 9 2006, 10:01 AM

I found the text below and similar sites regarding Pumpkin Seed Oil, I am not sure why you would think it is only meant for men? It contains many vitamins etc. so I would imagine that it is just a good food supplement for anyone.
In regards to it's effectiveness for BE, it may be that the girl you spoke about had a hormone imbalance and that the EPO helped to correct that and that the vitamins and EFA's in the Pumpkin Seed Oil helped this further.
You can always try it but I doubt that many women will have substantial growth on these two alone.

http://www.eco-natural.com/oils/pumpkin.html

"Pumpkin Seed Oil

For many people the only thing that pumpkin means is pumpkin pie and the Halloween "Jack-o-Lantern". However, the power of the pumpkin is in its seeds. The seeds of the pumpkin are a power food, rich in many nutrients including: Zinc, Vit. E, Vit. A, and the precious omegas: Omega 3 and Omega 6: also known as essential fatty acids (EFAs).

The oil that is pressed from pumpkin seeds is of a deep reddish-green color and has a uniquely delicious taste. Pumpkin seed oil is one of the top three nutritional oils ( hemp seed oil, flax seed oil, pumpkin seed oil ) that provide the highest EFA's (Omega 3 and omega 6) required for healthy mind/body functioning.

Pumpkin seed oil is best used in its raw state. Most people use 1 or 2 Tablespoons straight or blended in a protein drink, shake, or smoothie. It can also be used in the making of salad dressing. Pumpkin seed oil is an undiscovered delicious tasting nutritional oil, that keeps better than flax seed oil and very rarely goes rancid. Nevertheless, it should be kept in the refrigerator, and of course, never heated.

Pumpkin seed oil offers a practical and tasty way of supplying one's diet with the good fats ( LNA-3, LA-6 ) for smooth skin, increased energy, maintenance and improvement of sexual health and optimum brain function*. Pumpkin seed oil is known to prevent and alleviate bladder and prostate problems."

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: pumpkin seed oil
July 9 2006, 10:02 AM

Sorry, I meant Borage, not EPO.

fengshui
(Login fengshuiTW)
Thank you!!!! :-)
July 9 2006, 7:00 PM

thank u lisa121, what u say makes sense, maybe it was borage oil working all alone for that girl. :-) cuz borage oil gave me a boobst for sure!! thanks for clearing that out!!

HongKongGirl
(Login HongKongGirl)
Borage oil
July 11 2006, 4:57 PM

Fengshui

How many pills of borage oil u take daily?

Cheers
HongKongGirl
Smile

fengshui
(Login fengshuiTW)
borage oil
July 12 2006, 4:12 AM

hi, HongKongGirl,
i took 1000mg (made bt cold press method) borage oil softgel with meals 3 times a day in the first month, then 2 a day, then 1 a day the 3rd month.

i just started back on 3 a day now trying to get a boost again. :-)

Surf: (or anyone who knows) Why Pumpkin Seed Oil?
January 7 2007 at 11:13 PM Wahaika (Login Wahaika)
I had noticed in Surf's routine that the use of pumpkin seed oil, among other things also introduced at the same time, seemed to make a big difference. I can understand why you would want to substitute Stinging Nettle for Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto blocks DHT production, leaving more testosterone to aromatize into estrogen but is being blamed for weight gain on another board. Stinging Nettle does not have this effect? It does the same with DHT and also binds SHBG which would leave several hormones, including estrogen, unbound and able to do bind with estrogen receptors. Stinging Nettle is also thought to be a galactagogue. But Pumpkin Seed Oil? I have seen this used successfully before, but never knew why it was even considered.

So, why Pumpkin Seed Oil?

Thanks!

Wahaika

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Surf: (or anyone who knows) Why Pumpkin Seed Oil?
January 7 2007, 11:43 PM

Katrina answered this question nicely on 12/27/06, she said -

Pumpkin seed oil is one of the most nutritional oils available, and is an excellent source of essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and sterols. It contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which are known to promote energy levels, brain function, and overall health and vitality. It also contains high levels of Vitamin E, as well as Vitamins A and C, Zinc, and other trace minerals and vitamins. Historically, pumpkin seeds (either the whole seeds or the pressed oil) have been used all around the whole for healing purposes. They were applied or consumed for varied purposes, including: to heal wounds and burns, as a diuretic, to dispel intestinal worms and parasites, hormone production, overactive bladder, and for prostrate problems. Today, this oil has been used successfully in preventing and alleviating prostrate and bladder problems. The phytosterols present in the pumpkin seed oil, are also presently being studied for their role in lowering cholesterol levels.

I basically added it to my routine to increase my Omega 3 intake. I hope this helps!

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
January 8 2007, 4:46 AM

Yes, it helps a great deal. Thank you!

Tarepanda
(Login tarepanda23)
January 9 2007, 12:32 AM

Hi, I read an old post from June 2006 that Helen mentions that pumpkin seeds also help with high androgen levels just as SP. hope that she doesn't mind that I quote her here:

I have read that, for girls with elevated testosterone levels needing DHT-blocking herbs like Saw Palmetto, other alternative herbs that are also appropriate include
stinging Nettle,
Licorice,
Pumpkin Seeds,
Pygeum.
Not sure how different they are in "strength", they do however have similar effect.

I did a quick search on the web and found this:

Pumpkin Seed Oil- DHT Natural Remedy
Have been demonstrated to inhibit DHT formation through the inhibitory effect on 5-alpha-reductase activity. Inhibition of DHT formation is also known to be beneficial for hair growth if you are experiencing age-related hair loss. Pumpkin seed oil breaks down dht via the liver.

So it's more widely used by men who want to grow hair (also found a forum discussing this) but I think it might have the same properties as SP and NR since it also blocks DHT.
I'm interested in this because i feel like i have high androgen levels but can't find sp or nettle root in my local area (don't want to buy from the internet)in the right dose. i managed to buy sp 320 mg extract but i don't want to take such a high dose without ramping.

So i thought i could take pumpkin seeds instead with my intake of food. just an idea.

To Surf: Pumpkin Seed Oil
December 26 2006 at 7:47 PM Ann5 (Login Ann5)
Hello Surf,
First I wanted to congradulate you on your growth. Second, I wanted to know why you added Pumkpin Seed Oil to your routine.

Katrina
(Login mountainkat)
Hey Anne...
December 27 2006, 3:41 AM

Just in case Surf does not answer I was also curious of the benifits of pumpkin seed oil, so I did some research and here is what I found:

Pumpkin seed oil is one of the most nutritional oils available, and is an excellent source of essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and sterols. It contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which are known to promote energy levels, brain function, and overall health and vitality. It also contains high levels of Vitamin E, as well as Vitamins A and C, Zinc, and other trace minerals and vitamins. Historically, pumpkin seeds (either the whole seeds or the pressed oil) have been used all around the whole for healing purposes. They were applied or consumed for varied purposes, including: to heal wounds and burns, as a diuretic, to dispel intestinal worms and parasites, hormone production, overactive bladder, and for prostrate problems. Today, this oil has been used successfully in preventing and alleviating prostrate and bladder problems. The phytosterols present in the pumpkin seed oil, are also presently being studied for their role in lowering cholesterol levels.

Sounds pretty good!

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: To Surf: Pumpkin Seed Oil
December 27 2006, 4:20 PM

Katrina - Thank you for doing the research on Pumpkin Seed!!! You are so nice to respond!

Ann5 - I added it mainly for the Omega 3. It is wonderful stuff!

Pumpkin Seed Butter?
January 4 2008 at 5:31 PM
Hopeful88 (Login Hopeful88)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found some pumpkin seed butter at my local health store. Does anyone know if theres more pumpkin seed oil in the butter, or am I better off just eating a handful of pumpkin seeds everyday? I have no idea which would have more of the oil in it. I did actually find the oil too (finally! I've been looking everywhere) but it costs too much.

Thanks Smile

Author Reply
Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Pumpkin Seed Butter? January 5 2008, 3:32 PM

I would think that the amount of oil in the seeds would be however many grams of fat they contain. You could phone the makers of the butter to find out how much oil is in the butter or see if the ingredients mention any other sources of fat and if not then all the oil should be pumpkin oil. Sorry this isn't much help, just didn't want you to think no-one was interested!

pumpkin seed oil and male hormones...?
March 2 2009 at 5:26 PM LaReve (Login LaReve)
So I have read on this forum that pumpkin seed oil is supposed to do the same as Saw Palmetto, somehow inhibiting or blocking testosterone, right? So I bought some and started taking it.

Now I have found a website that says Pumpkin seed actually boosts male hormones!!! That's not what I want at all!!!

Here are the quotes:
"Sometimes called a "Male Tonic," Pumpkin Seeds are a natural way to revitalize the prostate gland, treat inflamed bladder and stimulate male hormone production."
and
"Rich in zinc, Pumpkin Seeds have been used as an effective treatment for enlarged prostate. It has been called a male tonic that helps to revitalize and maintain the health of the prostate gland (especially helpful to older men), and it is also thought to be a stimulant to male hormone production."

So, yes, good for prostrate problems like SP but... no good for us and our cause??? Here's the webpage where I found that: http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/pumpkin-seed.cfm

Anyhow, I'm confused, I was trying to make a switch from SP but now I'm freaked out by Pumpkin Seed oil!!! Anyone know anything?

Linn
(Login linn7880)
Re: pumpkin seed oil and male hormones...?
March 2 2009, 8:14 PM

Oh this was scary . I hope someone can write something about this. I have been taking 3000 mg a day of pumkin seed oil along with 640 of saw palmetto for 3 weeks..I thought it should help with too much testosterone..

Lilly
(Login Lillypilly)
March 2 2009, 9:50 PM

No it's okay!! I've noticed that a lot of thing that are good for prostate health are good for breast health.

Check out this site:
http://www.biogenicstimulants.com/ramcop...stin.phtml

It's a product with pumpkin seed oil and saw palmetto berry oil it it (probably really good for NBE!!) And it says:

*blocks the formation of dehydrotestosterone and limits its undesirable effects (for men)
*May be successfully used in women with excessive hirsuitsim and/or acne caused by excessive testosterone levels in the body

I've also been reading pumpkin seed oil has the same effect as saw palmetto (which is used for prostate health too!!)

Don't have time to find more info but I am sure it is okay for women to take for testosterone levels

Smile Lilly

LaReve
(Login LaReve)
March 3 2009, 5:17 PM

I am still scared. I did an hour of research last night trying to get to the bottom of this.

Has anyone on this forum actually taken pumpkin seed oil for an extended amount of time?

Also I realized I spelled prostate wrong. Oops!

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
March 3 2009, 5:37 PM

Check out Surf's propram page, I am pretty sure she took it, and her results were very good. I have checked into this to and everything i have ever found said PSO was used to shrink prostrate just like Sp. If you check out companies that sell pumpkin seed oil, thats what they promote it for, prostrate problems. Pygeum and stinging nettle root are also used for this, however, SP seems to be the most popular amongst men for this problem.

LaReve
(Login LaReve)
March 3 2009, 10:09 PM

Whoa, you are right, Surf had amazing results and took PSO later in her program. Wow. She started with almost the same measurements as me and grew many inches! Thanks for sending me to her program.

Main use of pumpkin seed oil
March 15 2007 at 8:20 AM Linz (no login)

Is the main use of pumpkin seed an alternative to saw palmetto (beta-sitosterol) or is that just an additional benefit?

Sally Anne
(Login sally.anne)
Re: beta-sitosterol
March 17 2007, 10:14 AM

I don't think that's the reason girls are using pumpkin seed, but if you want an alternative to saw palmetto another option is pygeum africanum.

Linz
(no login)
March 19 2007 at 06:12 AM
If treatment for prostrate enlargement works to reduce testosterone - would the treatment enlarge our boobs?

Look here:

http://www.prostate-miracle.com/

"Prostate Miracle® is 3,000 times more powerful than saw palmetto."
Prostate Miracle® inhibits the production of DHT

I half wish I hadn't found this!! - something else to think about and complicate my life!

xx

Sally Anne
(Login sally.anne)
Re: beta-sitosterol
March 21 2007, 11:18 AM

What makes you think you have excess testosterone in the first place?

beta sitosterol ---seniors/anybody?
August 17 2009 at 2:57 AM mommcafee (Login mommcafee)
ok the deal with SP is the beta-sitosterol(not stanol), I have seen that some women are not using SP because it causes weight gain..

Pumpkin seed and pygeum africanum is used in its place, in hopes to get the SP benefit without the weight gain...

Trouble is beta sitosterol is still the 'active ingredient' so to speak, so does the pumpkin seed or other substitutes really help without weight gain?

How so???

mommcafee
(Login mommcafee)
Re: beta sitosterol ---seniors/anybody?
August 17 2009, 3:15 AM

ok so beta sitosterol is closely related plant form of cholesterol, its poorly absorbed, and somehow binds and lowers cholesterol. isnt this bad? dont we need the cholesterol to convert to hormones?

also some info states that the sterolin reduces cytokine reactions of inflammation to improve BPH.

So how does this block DHT? and why does SP cause weight gain?

Help! Reasearching as I go here, back in a bit. Jump in and straighten my path at anytime please!

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
August 17 2009, 4:41 AM

Hi Mommcafee,

I love your questions because they make me seek out information I would not normally check into.

Here is what I can tell you about the herbs commonly used in NBE as anti-androgens.

------------------------------------

Saw Palmetto
Works because it inhibits the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. This enzyme converts testosterone into more potent dihydrotestosterone (DHT) - so Saw Palmetto does not lower every kind of testosterone - it just keep the testosterone from becoming more potent. You can find my references to this information here:

from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11337315
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-alpha_reductase

----------------------------------------
Pygeum africanum
It works differently than Saw Palmetto. It has N-butylbenzenesulfonamide. This substance has a high affinity to the androgen receptors. That means it will bind to them and keep testosterone from binding. It also has some affinity for progesterone receptors which would make it a lousy choice for those with estrogen dominance. The source for this information came from here:

http://www.psa-rising.com/blog/2006/06/p...en-effect/

--------------------------------------
Pumpkin seed oil
I did not find as much conclusive information regarding its method of action. It has phytosterins which gave a structural relationship to some bodily substances involved in androgen metabolism. The information seems to be saying it works somewhat like the Pygeum - blocks the receptors from the more potent testosterone.
-------------------------------------

Now about whether lowering cholesterol is a bad thing. The effect of pumpkin seed oil is to cause a lowering of LDL cholesterol - the 'bad' cholesterol. This is because pumpkin seed oil has Omega 6 fatty acid. This is a very good thing for our cholesterol levels. It promotes the formation of HDL cholesterol - the 'good' cholesterol. HDL cholesterol is responsible for taking cholesterol molecules out of our blood stream and transporting them to the liver where we manufacture thinks like hormones with them.

So, that is what I can tell you with just a little bit of looking. Please let me know if you find any other interesting things. If you can, post a link to some of the sites you are using.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

mommcafee
(Login mommcafee)
August 17 2009, 5:04 AM

ok now, but we decided omega 6 wasnt good for the american diet without also supplementing a healthy dose of omega 3, so in this effect it is like using EPO and borage, right?

Or there's a lot of BE persons getting quite a bit of omega 6, 1 if they are american dieteers, then throw in some EPO/starflower/borage, any others? Lets now add some pumpkin seed with omega 6. wow.

anyhoo, any of these you think would be good for BE and not increase likelihood of weight gain?

according to waihaika the SP helps redirect the body into making estrogen from androgen and decreases the formation of testosterone? if Im gettin this right? so we dont want to block androgen, we want to keep it and direct it to estrogen? which makes pygeum a bad choice correct?

so what can be used to replace fatty SP? I saw something about nettle root, I dont know if this affects the conversion of androgen or inhibits it altogether?Hmmm.

Do we even know what is in SP specifically that causes the weight gain? to ensure we dont run into the same problem with other similar acting herbs?

Whew!Did you get all that?LOL!

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
August 17 2009, 5:51 AM

Hi Mommcafee,

I agree that if we use any Omega 6 fatty acids we need to use Omega 3 to balance it. We really should take a look at all the supplements we take and make sure we are not creating an overkill.

EPO and Borage are taken for the Omega 6 itself which helps in hormone production so if you take Pumpkin seed oil then there is less need for Borage/EPO.

I am not sure what is the mechanism behind the weight gain in Saw Palmetto. I have yet to find a reference specifically to it. All I have run across is that there have been 'reports' of weight gain while using it. Not very helpful to those of us wanting to know WHY.

My theory is that it stimulates appetite. It has been used traditionally to help those who were not thriving to 'fatten up' so to speak. I believe I read one reference that stated Native Americans started using it because they noticed the animals that fed on it were plush and healthy. Sterols do seem to create a 'quest for food' in those that take them. It could be as simple as that.

However as far as the use of Saw Palmetto - I don't think it is necessary for NBE except in those who suffer from excess androgens. If you want to promote estrogen there are other ways to do it.

But I also must say that those who indulge in phytoestrogens also often notice weight gain. Estrogen likes fat - it likes to pack it on and soften us up. The right amount and we have what we want - too much and we end up as the incredible pear shaped woman.

What most of us want is riding a fine line between hormone structures. We want the big boobs and a lean body - an unlikely combination to be sure. Hormone have archtypical presentations in physical form. The arch-type of testosterone is Hercules. The arch-type of estrogen is the big breasted and big hipped fertility goddess. The arch-type of progesterone is a pregnant woman (progesterone levels rise by about 300% during pregnancy)(and no... no... I am not saying using progesterone will make you pregnant... lol... not that it isn't used in fertility treatments... but it alone will not cause pregnancy... let me try and head off some wild NBE rumor) (not that all this addendum is going to prevent that kind of wildfire rumor... nobody reads all the stuff I post... this stuff just languishes on the page and later on I read some post where someone is saying 'But I heard that progesterone would make you pregnant')(... not that the idea of nobody reading this has ever stopped me from going on and on.... nooooooo......)

Okay, I have officially digressed. Time to put me to bed.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
August 17 2009, 6:31 AM

... thoroughly enjoying this conversation! ...

The only consideration I would add is that possibly the time of year had some bearing on weight gain. Perhaps saw palmetto did its job in keeping testosterone freed up, but because of the time of year the weight gain was undesired because of the placement of estrogenic fat on places other than the breasts. Add to that the fact that the more receptors there are in an area (like an enlarged stomach for example), the more phytoestrogens they are going to attract, therefore acceleration of the fat accumulation of that part of the body in relation to the others. Maybe the dosage of saw palmetto is seasonal and should be lowered, but not eliminated, in the less effective times of the year.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon