Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What is Vitex?

Dosage of vitex?
February 24 2007 at 2:56 PM Glamma (Login Glamma)
What is your daily dosage of vitex? I take 1600mg daily (what it says on the bottle) but this seems to be quite a high dosage according to my research. All the sites I’ve been on recommend 400mg daily and sometimes lower. How much do you ladies take?

Lisa
(Login lilmama40)
Re: Dosage of vitex?
February 24 2007, 3:58 PM

When I was taking it I took 1600mg a day and from what I've heard most people say on here, they do as well. Like you said, it's what the bottle recommends and is therefore the safe and usual dose. I think moreso with the other herbs people experiment with sometimes taking more or less than what the bottle says, but not really with vitex.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
February 24 2007, 10:49 PM

I used to take 1200mg a day. Taking 1600mg gave me slight bleeding every single time. About three weeks ago, I cut down to 800mg, after I discovered I got more breast pains that way.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 25 2007, 7:21 PM

Thanx ladies. I'll stick with 1600mg and just see how it goes. Moonkissed, I think vitex effects everyone differently because I suffered a slight rash which is a side effect of vitex but it's gone now. Just hope the side effects stop right there!

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
February 25 2007, 7:26 PM

Glamma I think you might be right about the Vitex effecting everyone differently. When I up my dosage over 800 mg, each time I get really jittery, don't know how else to explain it. I also don't know if its a listed side effect or not, but for me its not one I like. So I just stick with two vitex a day and I am fine.

cheryl
(Login cookie1000)
February 26 2007, 1:42 PM

i'm taking 1000 mg which is 2 caps a day first thing in the morning and i get continous aches and pains in the boobs, i also massage twice daily with cocoa butter and collagen elastin creme, i also take 2 wild yam caps a day and seem to be having progress with that..

tms81
(Login tms81)
February 26 2007, 3:43 PM

i have been wondering about the same thing... i am now taking 1200mg vitex but am not sure on how much i want to take..

Anonymous
(Login gingerD)
February 26 2007, 4:15 PM

OMG-moonkissed, i upped my vitex the other day from 400mg to 800mg-i dont get periods but i started to bleed, not going into 2 much detail but i was quite worried regarding what was there clotty stuff-but thats the norm then ?Phewwww
Thank you!!!!

Vitex users,,please check in
February 9 2007 at 1:41 PM Snowflake (Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
How is everyone doing with vitex??? I have been on it for exactly 1 month now,, have puffiness, fullness. I take 1 dong quai at nite with it. Will be buying kelp and stinging nettles this weekend. Want to try that with the vitex,, kelp aids in weight loss and speeds up metabolism and also helps with NBE.

Linz
(no login)
Vitex
February 9 2007, 2:10 PM

HI,

I began vitex on the 15th December.
I have secondary Amerrohea (miss periods all the time). In my first month of vitex I had a normal period. Although I realise it doesn't get into your system for 2-3 months. I missed the one that I was recently due to have - but instead had dark discharge at the time I was meant to be having the period - so it's doing something.
I'm using nothing else, so I can be a good guinea pig to see if it does work on its own (although I know everyones different). I plan to start taking a protein drink when I reach 3 months.
My breasts swelled much greater than they did usually during the period - but no lasting increase.
One thing I have noticed so far is that I've lost an inch from my hips.... and I've def not been dieting/exercising. I've gone from 36.5 to 35.5 - I'm sure as I have as I line my feet up with the floorboards and measure in line with a mole on my leg!! Always quite precise in my measuring.

Thanks for posting this snowflake - I'm curious too! X

Diana
(Login Diana1978)
Vitex user here...
February 9 2007, 3:37 PM

i have been on vitex now for over 2 months. my face is finally clearing up and my periods are way better, can't answer about any growth since i use the brave, sorry. but i have found that i don't think i will be able to function without taking vitex every day.. good luck to all.

gingerD
(Login gingerD)
Re: Vitex users,,please check in
February 9 2007, 4:23 PM

Hey snowflake iv only been on vitex for about 9 days so no update yet, although funnily enough i am getting the odd ache again.
Was worried vitex would lower sex drive but-id say its doing the opposit-LOL may be abit too much info there
will keep you informed about progress

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Thanks Girls,,
February 9 2007, 4:24 PM

Hope to hear from some others too!!!

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 9 2007, 4:43 PM

I've been on vitex for a little over two months and I can say that my spots are clearing up but still suffering from pms. Maybe it takes a little longer to improve that. The main reason for taking vitex was to increase my progrestrone to get rid of my bloating, I don't think it has increased much yet. I was wondering if my spots would come back if I ever stop taking vitex. Anyone have any idea about this?

rose
(no login)
February 9 2007, 4:49 PM

hi...

i've just started my 8th week on vitex skin has improved and periods have been regular but no signs of any growth yet.....

i'm taking saw palmetto and fenugreek too but only on half the reccommended dosage.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
My Bottle says,,
February 9 2007, 5:08 PM

Take 3 caps daily for 8-12 weeks,,, then take 1 cap daily thereafter. Says best used long term. Sooo it must really take along time to get in your system and get working. I suspect without it everything would eventually return to the way it was,,,but only time will tell.

gingerD
(Login gingerD)
February 9 2007, 5:10 PM

hey S-Im taking 1 x 400mg should i ramp it up to 800 streight away?

HS29
(Login HS29)
February 9 2007, 5:11 PM

Been on for almost 3 months now. Possibly grew a tiny bit, but started back on the BO 2 weeks ago about.
PMS is gone. I don't think I even got all bloaty like I usually do this time- but that could be from the alfalfa. Not sure.
Was only one day off this month. Looks like my periods are starting to get back on schedule again.

ALso started taking vitamin A (10,000UI-beta carotene) and a b-50 complex capsule. Read it helps w/ heavy periods. I gotta tell you- this was one of my best periods ever. Not like any are great, but since I have to be near a bathroom for 2 days a month or else- this was wonderful.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
February 9 2007, 5:20 PM

I take same as Karen Johnson,,, 800mgs in morning and 800mgs at night. Thinking of adding sting nettles and Kelp. Also take 750mgs of dong Quai at night dose.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 9 2007, 5:31 PM

Snowflake, but once vitex balances your hormones they stay balanced right (forgive me if this is a dumb question) it's just that since my hormones have been unbalanced i've been suffering from bad pms and bloating

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
February 9 2007, 5:42 PM

Hey Glamma,, I am just quessing here,, but your body has its own chemistry,, balance,, we can adjust it with what we take,, but when what we take is out of our systems i am thinking everything would start going back to the way it was,, cause we are talking hormones and they are they way they are for a certain reason that has not been changed just altered. But like I said only time will tell with the vitex,,cause Karen Johnson that started the vitex rage has not been back on to tell of further experiences. And we can always hope for the best right??? I could be totally wrong!!! But when you go off the pill and it is out of your system your body makes its own cycle again not regulated by the pill.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
February 9 2007, 5:53 PM

As hopeful as I am that vitex would grow boobs for me,, I am also skeptical. If I were still 18 or 20 I could see it maybe happening,, but 42??? I will just have to try and be patient and see what happens.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 9 2007, 6:19 PM

Snowflake, but if I tipped my hormones out of balance with too much estrogen will it eventually go back to normal?

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 9 2007, 6:30 PM

You mentioned balanace, so Im thinking it will go back to normal then because these bad pms and bloating are alien to me. How long do you think it takes to balance hormones again?

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
I'm Sorry,,
February 9 2007, 6:51 PM

i wish I could be more help,,, but there are sooo many hormaones and soooo many factors!!!! Not getting enough sleep or working night shift can screw up hormones, cause there are also chemicals in the brain and they all work together and really it just one massive puzzle. Have you ever been on the pill,, if yes,, I would assume that vitex would be the same way. Your great when your on,, nice hair, puffier boobs,, period every 28 days and then,,, you go off the pill,, everything eventualy returns to the"BODIES" normal state,, what ever that maybe for each indivual. Sorry thats the best I can do,, we'll just have to wait and see I guess what vitex really brings to the table.

Anonymous
(Login Corrie73)
February 9 2007, 8:39 PM

I have been taking Vitex for about 4 months now. I love it. I have almost no PMS now, and it was quite bad before. My breasts swell up more during the last week of my cycle than they used to, and the swelling doesn't go away completely, so I am gaining a little bit of boob each month.

However, I have been taking many different herbs over the last 4 months, and am still taking several, in addition to the vitex. So I can't say for sure that the vitex is making me grow. But my feeling is that it does help, and the other efects are great!

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
February 9 2007, 10:35 PM

It's going well so far for me. It's the only herb I am taking now, and I am happy to report growth on it. Plus, PMS has been reduced to a large extent.

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
estrogen dominant
February 10 2007, 5:25 PM

Well I took that test online, and would have to say that I am a combo, but mostly estrogen dominant. I have been using vitex in my WU cream but was wondering if I should take it internally also. I took it alone for a year for other things and had no breast growth on it alone. Is Vitex "the herb" to take when estrogen dominant? that is the info I have gathered from reading old posts. Is there any other that I am missing?
Thanks!

Breastfest
(Login Breastfest)
Vitex results?
February 10 2007, 7:18 PM

I've been on Vitex for over 2 months now. I noticed that my skin has improved greatly. I don't struggle with the acne nearly as much as before. As for growth, I have about 1" of sustained growth. I am about halfway through my cycle, so we'll see how much I swell and how much stays. Interesting observation, though, I noticed these short hairs all over my head that are about 3/4" to 1" long. I think I ended up losing some hair in the beginning of when I started, but they look like they are coming back. I have no idea what else would've caused this. I only noticed this because my hair is curly, but it was unusually unruly around my face and I got looking more closely. Anyone else have this?

Anonymous
(Login _violet_)
February 10 2007, 8:56 PM

I've been noticing less pms symptoms for sure, I never had much acne, but since started NBE I'd get this annoying pimples just before my period. I haven't had much growth since the initial boost, but it's hard to tell as I've been losing weight and they still look and measure the same. I've been thinking about adding kelp too and L-tyrosine.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 10 2007, 11:04 PM

So how much people have experienced hair loss while taking vitex? Why would it cause hair loss anyway? Someone enlighten me

Anonymous
(Login Teresina)
February 10 2007, 11:21 PM

For those taking Vitex, do you also take wild yam?

cheryl
(Login cookie1000)
February 11 2007, 1:28 AM

I have been on vitex for about 2 weeks now along with doing cocoa butter massages and my boobs ache so bad, Just wondering if anyone else had aches like this when they first started Vitex, wasn't expecting it to kick in so quick, is this a sign i'm growing or could it be the hormone's balancing out

Breastfest
(Login Breastfest)
Hair loss comment.
February 11 2007, 7:39 PM

Glamma,

Sorry for the hair loss scare!!Smile I have read on several sites that it can be a side effect, but the reason is never explained. I am just guessing that Vitex is the culprit. The only other change for me has been my stress level, but if that were the cause then I should be bald by now!!! My husband is military and has been overseas for almost three years. I just made an international move and then a cross-continental move with two little kids. My baby was just hospitalized (but she's doing much better!). So, your guess is as good as mine. I just wanted to know if anyone else had noticed anything like that. I guess the good news is that it is growing back in..lol!

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
February 11 2007, 8:49 PM

Well, I started Vitex back middle of December. Can't say really that I have noticed anything different with my boobs. After reading the original vitex post by Karen, she didn't really see growth for a few months anyhoo, I have noticed that this past period was really great. I came on time, but didn't have any of the usual lead up to symptoms, so if I wasn't kinda regular I wouldn't have known it was coming. My boobs also swelled up a great deal while on my flow but then overnight deflated back to what they had been reading before the swelled. I did have one day of weepiness, but thats really good for me! Also a big plus for me, this time around my cramps were bearable.

My hair and skin have turned greasy, which I never had before. But my acne cleared up! Now if I could just get these boobs to do something!!!!

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
February 12 2007, 11:40 AM

Me too,,, noticed hair fall out,, but not nearly as bad as with milk thisthle. And I think it has lessened since I started. Its just one of the side effects, like milk thislte.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 12 2007, 2:01 PM

How much hair is this? all the websites that I have been on say that vitex has no side effects. I really don't want hair loss

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 12 2007, 3:05 PM

After reserching a bit more on vitex I found that some people who are suffering from hair loss (traction alopecia) are advised to take vitamins and natural herbs, vitex being one of them. So it can help hair to grow back but can also cause hair loss, hmmmm Something ain't right here. I wonder if it has negative side effects when combined with certain herbs like st johns worth. I know st johns worth is a herb that shouldn't be taken with certain herbs because they don't mix and can have negative side effects, maybe vitex is the same. Maybe vitex won't have negative side effects if taken by itself but that's just a maybe...

Breastfest
(no login)
Hair loss issue
February 12 2007, 6:32 PM

Just my own thinking here...when pregnancy occurs there are lots of changes with your hair, thickens, changes colors, doesn't respond to chemicals the same, etc. . Afterwards, your hair tends to fall out but then it comes back in after a period of time. Could we be dealing with the same thing since we're messing around with hormones.

As for the amount, it's like a few fuzzy hairs that stand up when I slick all of my hairs over. Not bald spots by any means!!!Smile

js89
(Login js89)
EVE MEMBERS
Breastfest
February 12 2007, 10:07 PM

I totally agree with that theory. I've always felt that my body responds to NBE as it did with pregnancy, and that includes hair loss and regrowth too. I agree with everything you said.

lydia
(Login Lydia1981)
February 14 2007, 9:03 AM

i have been on vitex for only 3 days now. so i'm still at the very beginning. but i just wanted to include myself in this post of vitex users: )

love to all

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Thanks everyone,,,
February 14 2007, 1:01 PM

For replying.. sounds like everyone is having positive results on vitex. The hair loss has greatly lessened,, probably back to normal,, I have long hair so you notice it right away in your comb. Still having magor swelling or growth and awaiting period. tried red clover and sp with nite time doses of vitex and dong quai,, felt like alot of weight gain over the weekend,, so back to just the vitex and dong quai. Taking kelp now too,, see if that helps me drop a few pounds.

Jess
(Login IttyBittyTitty)
Vitex is wonderful!
February 14 2007, 1:29 PM

I've been taken Vitex for about 8 weeks. No real growth from anything yet, but my last cycle was great! NO cramps!! I took one midol as a precautionary measure because on my heavy day I was going to be out and about and I didn't want to get stuck away from the house and hurting. So in all likelihood I wouldn't have needed it. Normally I go through about 4 midol a month. My cramps can be horrible so to have none was like a miracle. I'm definitely staying on the vitex no matter what.

. . . .)\_ _/( . .IttyB
--=(__/^\__)==-

Jess
(Login IttyBittyTitty)
Forgot to answer a question...
February 14 2007, 1:34 PM

Yes to Teresina, I am also taking Wild Yam with Vitex. 1000 mg of Wild Yam and 1500 mg of Vitex each day. :-)

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
February 14 2007, 2:51 PM

Well, I guess I should check in. I've recently added Vitex to my routine. I take it internally, massage with it and have been drinking vitex tea (love the taste of the tea). ... I really need to update my program page...

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
February 14 2007, 4:16 PM

For people that aren't concerned about weight gain,, Vitex 800mgs, 450mgs of red clover and 360mgs of saw palmetto and 750mgs of dong quai, taken at night, made awsome amount of fulness for me in about 3 days,,, but I could see the weight just growing on me. But my boobs were soooo full,, so I had to drop sp, rc,,till I can get nettles and will try again.

LovelyAmanda
(Login LovelyAmanda)
February 14 2007, 5:38 PM

Hey everyone,

I've been using Vitex for about a month and two weeks and I have only experienced positive changes. I feel that my moods are better and more relaxed at times, I have no reported hair loss, absolutely no weight gain (I'm also on a strict reduced calorie diet so I've been losing weight), my sex drive is the same and high as usual, and every so often I feel tingles. I also take cayenne and I'm going to add PM to my routine next month. So only good things with Vitex thus far.

Good luck and happy Valentine's Day everyone,
Amanda

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 14 2007, 7:14 PM

Vitex causes weight gain? This is something I wasn't aware of.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 14 2007, 7:18 PM

I take 1600mg of vitex daily because that's what it says on the tub. Is this a very high dosage?

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 14 2007, 7:21 PM

Last question, If your hormones are in balance will vitex unbalance them since it helps your body make more progrestrone?

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Nooo,,,,,
February 14 2007, 7:30 PM

No I don't think vitex does cause weight gain,, but for me,, the red clover does as well as saw palmetto. Plus I have been eating like a horse for the past week. I haven't heard of anyone complain about weight gain due to vitex.

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
February 14 2007, 7:55 PM

Snowflake, its interesting that you mentioned eating alot. I noticed that the past few weeks I seem to shoveling more food in, and its from being hungry, not bored. I haven't noticed any weight gain from it.

Miretta
(no login)
February 24 2007, 1:19 AM

I'm so glad this post is up because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has their doubts about vitex. I've been using it for about a month and I haven't really noticed any growth (it's still early). I haven't been having any hair loss or weight gain from it either. Keep posting up your progress girls!

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
Side effects from vitex
February 24 2007, 1:12 PM

I've noticed a slight rash on my stomach, it was on my legs as well but its gone now. They say that this is one of the side effects of vitex (a mild side effect that will soon pass)but Im not sure if it is vitex, Im just guessing. I've been taking it for 3 months, I wonder if this means its starting to take effect in my body now. I hope it doesn't cause any other side effects like hair loss!Anyone else experience a mild rash?

melosh
(Login melosh)
February 25 2007, 4:59 AM

Hi ladies
I`ve been using vitex for about 5 weeks now. No hair loss, no improvement on acne, no loss of libido, no weight gain and no breast growth. I was having what felt like a light tingling sensation deep inside my breasts about a few days ago but I started taking nettle root and the tingling stopped.I take 1600mg of vitex, 2 nettle root pills(the container says 300mg root extract, 150mg netle root),2 silica pills(forgat the dosage) and 3 gr. of panthetine. Good luck to all of us.

acne with vitex?
December 11 2007 at 4:06 AM luckyboobs (Login luckyboobs)
Have any vitex users actually had worse acne when they first started vitex? I've been on it for about 3 weeks now and I'm not sure but it seems like my acne might be a little worse. I'm just wondering if this happened to anyone else that it got worse before it got better. Thanks.

Linz
(no login)
acne vitex
December 11 2007, 10:32 AM

Hi,

mine definitely did. The reaction was only slight during the first 3 months, then on the 3rd month it was very noticeable, and worse than when I was a teenager. I stopped straight away and went on the pill (cilest) - and it cleared up.
I wasn't taking any other herbs. I also grew half an inch though, which has remained permanent. Also, I lost weight around my lower body.

Most people say it clears up acne however. I remember at the time reading that nettle root or SP may help - but it was unnecessary since it went whne I went on the pill

moayca
(no login)
ACNE
December 12 2007, 10:04 AM

Hi,

I have been two months with vitex and also I have noticed an increase of my acne. In my case, always I have had something of acne although now it's much but. I have the hope of which soon one is going away to diminish.

At the moment I'm not noticing much increase of chest, will hope until the 6 months and I will stop. From that you are taking only vitex, when you began to notice something of increase?

A greeting.

Janice
(no login)
Re: acne with vitex?
December 13 2007, 8:52 AM

I'm really not sure but I took Vitex Agnus Castus for 3 months and I thought maybe it increased my acne during that time. I'd be interested to hear from any others what happened to their acne when taking this herb.

linz
(no login)
December 13 2007, 1:48 PM

I increase by half an inch very quickly from 3 months - I htink I took it for 3 and a hlaf months.
Wish I'd continued - but stopped after I got the acne. The half inch remained though (also lost weight).
I am estrogen dominant, and was please about the reduction in hip measurement too.
Apparently it only really gets into the system after 3 months. Although it definitely sorted out my irregular periods and v bad period pains until then. I don't take it now as I'm on BCP and although people say it's ok - I'm not so sure it will mix ok.

luckyboobs
(Login luckyboobs)
December 15 2007, 3:06 PM

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate the info. My skin seems somewhat clearer these last few days so maybe it was a coincidence that it seemed a little worse before or maybe the vitex is starting to do its magic. Whatever the case, I am going to give it some more time and see what happens. Thanks and good luck.

Of those that took Vitex.....
January 20 2007 at 7:15 PM Wahaika (Login Wahaika)
Of those that took Vitex, how long did it take to see results?
What results did you see, if any?
How did you know that it was Vitex that made the difference?
What is your age? (I know, dangerous question, but it is relevant.)

Thanks in advance,

Wahaika

Alcest
(Login Alcest)
Re: Of those that took Vitex.....
January 21 2007, 2:52 PM

As far as I know there's only one woman that took Vitex and grew and is done using it..

diana
(Login Diana1978)
hi
January 21 2007, 7:23 PM

Even though my main nbe source is brava. i take vitex. i have taken it for about two months or so. i just like the effect it has on my periods. it makes them less painful and i am less moody. hope this helps. good luck.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
January 21 2007, 10:30 PM

I started seeing results after about two months. More fullness at the bottom, and my smaller breast began growing again. Obviously it was vitex that made the difference because it was the only herb I am taking.

Jennelle
(Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS
January 22 2007, 8:53 AM

I think the fact there there has not been much response to this question tells its own story. So far hardly anyone has grown from using this herb and there is very little evidence on it's effects on breast growth.

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
January 22 2007, 9:10 AM

Just because there has been little response to the question - means nothing.

I didn't respond as I feel I've spoken enough on the subject so far and don't want to bore anyone by rattling on about it. Ooops, and here I go again...lol!!!

Yes, am getting growth. It took about 5 weeks to begin to notice anything. After quitting WU etc, the growth got better. I am 42. Results - more roundness/better shape/perkier/bouncier......lots more tingles and itches. Am now into pot 4.

Hope this helps.

Love

=^_^= x

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
January 22 2007, 4:10 PM

I started taking it a few weeks ago and I've felt much fuller and have had tingles and pains again!!! I started bleeding when I took it internally, so I stopped and have been using it in my massage routine! LOVE THE STUFF!

cutevelvet
(Login cutevelvet)
January 22 2007, 4:52 PM

faerycat u used mirifem and got growth from that then you changed to wonder up and if i remember clrearly u said that if u were given the choice then you would have skipped the mirifem and began with wonder up. how much did u grow with wonder up? and how long did it take? u stalled and then took vitex right along with lower dose of wonder up. i was wondering..given the chance to rewind(!) would u have only had vitex for growing boobs? instaed of the mirifem and w u?

sorry if u are having to repeat urself! or if i have misinterpreted you.

Lisa
(Login lilmama40)
vitex along with other herbs
January 22 2007, 5:27 PM

Vitex sounds very promising, and even though many people are saying they got good results on that alone, I'm having mixed feelings. I'm doing BG+ and saw palmetto right now and will replace the BG+ with separate herbs fennugreek, fennel, and wild yam in a few days when the BC+ runs out. I'd love to add vitex into the program, but some have mentioned that because it's a regulator they worried that it interfered with the other herbs, or moreso that the herbs and the vitex were competing with each other in some way in the system. If anyone has had success with the vitex and herb combo I'd love to get advice on dosages.
Thanks Smile

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
To cutevelvet -
January 22 2007, 5:52 PM

Yes I did get growth from mirifem then stalled and went on to WU. What I presumed to be growth with WU was just luteal swelling as I discovered as the months slipped by.

When I added vitex I took a slight growth spurt and intuition said that the WU dose was too high and holding back the vitex from working properly. I cut WU down to 2 tabs a day and continued to grow quite well. Then I decided to go it alone with the vitex and cut WU out altogether. I seem to be growing a lot better now.

Have just added marine collagen and ester C to prog and the results are getting better :-)

Looking back on the mirifem experience, I felt that it caused more swell than growth........if you get what I mean. I feel that after stopping it, I began to deflate. So the initial WU was fighting hard to make growth happen whilst at the same time the mirifem boobs were disappearing. Does that make sense to you?

Hope that answers your question.

x

Vitex causing acne? some advice pls!!!
April 23 2008 at 4:25 AM Tira (no login)
Hi Everyone,
I've been taking Vitex for about 2 months now because my periods become very painful when I'm not on bcp. Usually I get a few spots of acne the week before my period, but after my last period my acne just kept getting worse and now it's really bad. Not just on my face, but all over my chest and back too. Sad I started using an acne wash, but it's not going away. I haven't had acne this bad since I was 14 years old!

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I heard Vitex was suppose to help get rid of pms related acne, but I had no acne before I was taking it. Any advice would be really helpful. Thank you!!

jackie
(Login classyfashh)
Re: Vitex causing acne? some advice pls!!!
April 23 2008, 10:58 AM

Yeah I didn't have acne at all before I took Vitex but EXACTLY like you, into my 2nd month of taking it... around then I started getting a few pimples. Here and there and they will disappear but come back. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure it's normal. Well definitely. Our hormones are going crazy inside us right now haha but they will eventually level out and go away again. I'm trying my best to do the all 6months of this thing. But I'm sure when we're finished it will make our skin look better than before.

Tira
(no login)
April 23 2008, 1:45 PM

I'm so glad you're on Vitex too right now! It makes me feel better, but the acne still sucks. I really hope it goes away. Sad Does this mean we have excess androgens in our body right now and very little estrogen? I was thinking about adding Saw Palmetto because it's said to get rid of acne, but maybe I'll wait?

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
April 23 2008, 4:39 PM

It only gets rid of acne if you have excess androgens, which may be part of the balancing of vitex or it may have nothing to do with male hormones but could just be the vitex's fault in another manner. You can also try nettle root, pumpkin seeds (and oil).

jackie
(Login classyfashh)
April 24 2008, 1:51 PM

Well I am just following how Karen J did it and she took it alone as most people say it's better that way. I only have about 3 months left or so. I'm looking at this as if it's just balancing out my hormones [in which it is] and when I'm done THEN I will have the fun with mixing different herbs and starting an NBE plan.

I don't suggest adding in Saw Palmetto as some said it gave them acne. Possibly try an acne cleanse? I wash my face morning and night and I noticed that putting moisturizer on it, makes it worse because your skin can't breathe. I cleanse, tone, put on anti-aging cream while avoiding the pimples; in that order. Oh and also, I got a cotton swab the other night and dabbed on rubbing alcohol/Hydrogen Peroxide on my pimples before I went to bed [without washing it off because the skin absorbs it] and put nothing else on top of it, and in the morning, they seriously cleaned up so much better. I am going to start again tonight in doing this every night with them.

I'm not sure if I have excess androgens by the way, I might but who knows. I don't think it means little estrogen though as I am estrogen-dominant.

help!!! I shrunk with vitex!!!!!
March 6 2007 at 2:46 AM melosh (Login melosh)
HI girls.
I have been using witex for about 6 weeks now and the tape measure says I lost an INCH!!! I have implants as you know and now the breasts that were mine are almost gone and I`m left with implants.(That means my breasts can`t get any smaller than this) Please tel me why this happened. My only guess is vitex lowers estrogen levels and that could be the reason why I lost my breasts. But when I take hebs that increase estrogen levels like fenugreek I get acne. FEARYCAT helllp!!!! I thought I was going to grow with vitex. Nothing I take works on me. I used to take individual herbs for months and I had absolutaly no growth whatsoever. What`s wrong with me.
I have been struggling with this for 8 months now. Maybe I should just forget about this and go get bigger implants. Please help!!!!

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
Re: help!!! I shrunk with vitex!!!!!
March 6 2007, 9:10 AM

Hi Melosh :-)

Sorry to hear about your inch loss but 6 weeks is not a long time for vitex to fully work its magic. You really have to give it at least 3 months.

As vitex is supposed to balance out hormones, it is possible that as the balancing is beginning to take place, then you may lose any built-up body fluid/fluid retention as part of the process, hence the shrinking. Once your body starts to re-adjust.......and this can take a while, then you will start to see growth. Try to be patient.....lol, I know this is hard ;-P

Often, when a girl starts a new programme, she 'reports' of growth within weeks and more often that not, the so-called growth disappears as soon as her period starts, meaning that what she thought to be growth was probably just fluid retention. It happens. Don't be disheartened.....you will grow, it's just a matter of finding what is right for you.

Oh and melosh.........please consider carefully before increasing the implants. I don't want to scare or alarm you in any way, but you may want to take a look at this site -

http://maxpages.com/implants

I am really concerned at the length of time you have had yours in. They don't last forever. They go gooey and start to break down. Saline implants may be considered by some to be safer but the shells are still made from silicon. If you can stomach it and read over that site you will see why I am worried sweetheart. I do care..........

Good luck

Love

=^_^= x

Buffeee
(Login Buffeeee)
March 6 2007, 2:20 PM

Melosh, you're the 3rd person on this site who has experienced shrinkage with vitex. Since this is relatively new to most routines, I think we should keep this in mind. Of course, it could be a combination of vitex and other herbs that is doing it and not the vitex itself.

Ick! Those implant pics are horrible. I'm glad I saw them, though... Thank you!

Anonymous
(no login)
March 6 2007, 3:32 PM

Hi,

From what I've read, I think it simply raises progesterone to be dominant - in some cases it can raise estrogen. It doesn't necessarily lower estrogen. But obviously - something we don't know about is going on since there's 3 others experienced it.

Who are the other 2 who've experienced shrinkage?

Are you on any other herbs by the way?

lil'e is < a lil'a
(no login)
March 7 2007, 5:21 PM

Do we have to be so hard on ourselves. You have a smaller chest that does not meant that anything is wrong with you. the way I see it breasts are really for feeding babies and since we use formula and bottles so frequently now I speculate that breasts will eventually evolve away, so hypothetically you are just more evolved... That is what I like to think anyway, it helps me feel better. Another thing that I read stated that fashionable breast size goes with trend and that it was actually considered more attractive in the 1920's to have a smaller chest. Ah the roaring twenties.. maybe instead of putting ourselves through all this pain and emotional blah we could work to bring the trend back to the twenties... Maybe we could stand up against pornography which I believe is often the corrupter of our male counterparts to have such unrealistic and unsatisfiable expectations. Just a thought. But don't be so hard on yourself for gross expectations you feel put on you by media and other bull crap places.

I am obviously feeling selfconscious myself or I wouldn't be trying to research this online... But I am finding myself feeling a little disturbed by the expectations and would like to see people feel happier with their God given selfs more then trying to live up to the corrupted standards that suggest a women is of no worth if she is not sporting a huge rack or willing to "give it out" freely...

Don't devalue yourself you are a fantastic person, not merely a small chest but I do so understand the feeling.

Anonymous
(Login Teresina)
March 7 2007, 7:06 PM

Hi,

A couple of things about your implants, if you don't mind me asking. Smile

What kind are they?
Are they over or under the muscle?
Did you have a mastopexy (breast lift) at the same time?
Do you know if they manipulated your gland at all?

Just curious if these things could be hindering your progress. Sometimes implants can affect existing breast tissue or the gland can be altered if certain techniques were used, though that's generally more common of lifts.

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
vitex: shrinking
March 7 2007, 7:47 PM

I took vitex for a long time, for my endometriosis, and I definately didn't get larger breasts. Now that I have embarked on NBE, I noticed a bit of shrinkage when I started the vitex.
Buffee...I think you are right...is there some kind of scientific reason that one person would grow on it and one would shrink? Does it have to do with whether we are estrogen or progesterone dominant, or whether we have "normal" levels of hormones???

melosh
(Login melosh)
March 8 2007, 3:10 AM

Fearycat
You are such a sweet person. Thank you for being concerned about my implants and thanks for the link. This is how I look at it; there have been kids who died from taking children`s tylenol but that over the counter medicine has been used and is being used by millions of kids in the US for a loong long time with no problems. There are a lot of things out there that cause adverse reactions in some people and no reactions in others. Those who speak up about implants are the ones who got sick from them but not everyone gets sick from them.My breasts look similar to Eve`s breasts, just a bit smaller and just a bit loose because I`m not 26 like Eve is and I went through a pregnancy and breastfed my son for a little while. The weight gain during my pregnancy and breastfeeding caused my rock hard breasts to get just a little loose and just a bit lower on my body. But they still look good. I just wish they were a little bigger.
Feary, I did not repot any growth before. I did not grow from any of the herbs I used or have been using. I LOST AN INCH FROM THE BREASTS I ALREADY HAD BEFORE I STARTED NBE. And that`s what`s killing me.And I don`t know if I should continue with vitex or not. I`m confused.
PS. I know you were not feeling good for some time in the past and I asked how you were doing in one of my posts but I guess you didn`t read it. I hope you`re feeling better now.

Buffee; who is the other 2 who shrunk with vitex. I want to know some details about how this happened and at what point it happened. I don`t think having implants is the reason I`m not growing cause I still have my own breast tissue and it can be affected by hormones just like other women. My breasts get larger in the second part of my cycle and shrink when my period starts just like others. I just can`t figure out the right herbs to use. I followed Surf`s program for 2 months but had to stop it cause I got acne and one of those herbs caused weight gain. Maybe if I could stick to te program I would grow but I started to break out like crazy and I already have an acne problem that I have been dealing with for 23 years.

I`ll post a message to see if I can share some info with the other ladies who shrunk from vitex. I have to figure this out ASAP.

Ladies thank for all the posts. I don`t know what I would do without you all. God bless.

Teresine
I got my implants when I was 20 years old. I`m 34 now so they are 14 years old. They are filled with saline solution and they are under the muscle. I was even able to breastfeed with them.(I asked about this before I got them and the doctor said I could breatfeed with no problems). I did not get a breast lift. I was an A cup before surgery now I`m a full B or a loose C cup.

lil`e is; thank for all the nice things you wrote, you made me feel better, thank you...

melosh
(Login melosh)
March 8 2007, 3:45 AM

Oh I forgot to add that I started to take nettle root about a week ago hoping to lower my testostrone levels so I don`t get acne anymore. So far no news about my acne. I`m still getting them. Does nettle root affect vitex? I don`t know. One works with estrogen and progestrone the other works on testostrone so your guess is as good as mine. I also take silica for hair growth and vitamin b5 for my oily skin but I don`t think they effect vitex. Honestly I don`t know what to do. I already spent almost 2 months on vitex. If I stop now I`ll never know if it was going to work or not. And if I stop vitex what program do I follow since estrogenic herbs give me acne. One good thing is I can`t shrink much more than this cause I`m almost left with no breast tissue that belongs to me. It`s almost all implants now so vitex cannot cause anymore shirinkage in my breasts.

I`m thinking about giving vitex another month or two. If I have no growth by the 4th month that probably means it doesn`t work on me. Then I`ll think about what to do. Lots of hugs and kisses to all of you...

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 8 2007, 9:41 AM

Hi melosh :-)

Yes, I KNOW you didn't report any growth on NBE but was merely pointing out that gains and losses can work both ways in the beginning. Some girls report what they think is growth, then they have a period and lose it, as it was more likely to have been water retention that they lost. Whilst other girls report shrinkage at the start, which possibly means that the herbs initially cause some bodies to give up their fluid retention.......before any growth starts to take place. Hope I'm making sense.

Yes too about the implants. It is the ones who get sick who speak out.....but - from all the research I've done on implants (and boy would I love to have them), the information states that they don't last forever and need to be replaced every 10 years or so. This is my concern for you dear melosh. I don't know what kind of after care service the plastic surgeons give. I don't know if they call all implantee's (lol, is that a real word?), back on a regular basis for check-ups or if they just leave it up to the implantee to decide for herself. It must be so difficult to keep track of every woman who has implants and to call her back to check on them. Not sure that there even is a test to ensure that they are still intact and ok. But either way, sadly they do not last.

I don't think nettle root will affect vitex. I am taking both just now with no problems. I'd say, stick with what you are taking for a few more months at least and see what happens. Keep doing daily massages. Think positive!!

My apologies too if I failed to respond to a previous post. This board can move so fast at times that it can be hard to keep up with every post. Anyways, yes thank you, I am feeling much better now :-)

Wishing you all you desire

Love

=^_^= x

Bufeee
(Login Buffeeee)
March 8 2007, 1:45 PM

I believe the two who experienced shrinkage with vitex (added to other herbs) were faerycat and henri. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, how are you ladies doing now and are you still using vitex?

I'm not bashing vitex here, just trying to make sense of how it works since it's "new."

annie2
(Login annieboobs)
EVE MEMBERS
March 8 2007, 1:56 PM

I would like to hear how vitex works as well, planning on taking in ,coz i'm estrogen dominant lackin progesterone, also for PMS. I'm a bit scared to try it .

Anonymous
(no login)
March 8 2007, 3:18 PM

Hi

I read that lil dunny shrank with vitex -not sure how loong she took it for or whether in a combination with something else or not...

xx

Anonymous
(Login princessglitter)
March 8 2007, 4:58 PM

I think i shrunk with vitex too...

Wishful
(Login WishfulThoughts)
very interesting...
March 8 2007, 5:38 PM

i've been kinda down the last couple days b/c i feel like i have shrunk a lot. my bras used to fit really nicely but now i am swimming in them. i'm on wu and vitex. i wonder if the vitex is the culprit for my shrinkage? i do love the effect it has on my periods tho, so much nicer.

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
March 8 2007, 6:01 PM

Yes I lost an inch this month. Not sure if its the Vitex, or the break I took, or the fact that I started herbs from break and then stopped them again..............I am just finished cycle three of Vitex, going into cycle 4. I thought if it was the Vitex then it would have happened sooner, but I do know its a slow acting herb so maybe it is. I am going to keep trying it though and just tweek my program. If in another three months I am still at the same point, then I will figure its the Vitex.

lil dunny
(Login lil_dunny)
March 8 2007, 6:47 PM

yes, i have shrunk with vitex - attempted it for a short period of time but was quickly discouraged. i'm going to peddle licorice as the new wonder herb - it (appears to) increase progesterone and lowers estrogen a bit, and it _thickens_ blood, as opposed to the many other herbs that thin blood and thusly make breast growth more difficult. best taken for the last 2 weeks of your cycle.

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
kicking the vitex
March 9 2007, 12:26 AM

I have decided to kick the vitex out of my program. Today I didn't take any, and I am definately back to feeling tingles. Yeaahhh!

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
March 9 2007, 12:39 AM

Ok, I have to ask... who is Karen Johnson (or is it Johnston)? Is she someone who normally visits the forum? Did we only hear from her during that 1 thread that she posted about vitex? Is she the only one that can say that they have grown due to vitex alone (taking no other herbs at the time that could contribute to the growth)? Ugh! So many of us jumped on the vitex bandwagon, I'm getting concerned. I certainly would not want my growth or ANYONE'S grow to diminish in anyway due to jumping onto something before we checked it out completely. I guess I feel I need some reasurance right now!!!

Donna
(Login sadkow)
RE: help!!! I shrunk with vitex!!!!!
March 9 2007, 12:52 AM

I started taking vitex about a month after starting WU and took vitex for nearly two months (stopped towards end of third month on WU). During the third month on WU I didn't feel like there was any growth at all and the tape measure agreed with me. I dropped Vitex about a month ago and this month (4th month)I have had some growth again. Guess it's like everything else, what works for some, doesn't work for others.

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
March 9 2007, 3:43 AM

faerycat - I don't know how you find the information that you do, but geez I'm sure thankful that you do!!! I was just reading through the Karen's original thread and found all that research you posted.

I did a quick read through and it sounds like vitex increases progestrone and decreases prolactin. For NBE, we want prolactin to increase (one of the reasons we massage).

I guess my concern is can vitex really make you shrink (please, I mean no offense to anyone who believes it's the cause of your shrinkage!!!!)? Or can those that have shrunk, shrunk for a different reason? Since so many are reporting shrinkage, I ask these questions.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
March 9 2007, 4:08 AM

I can assure people that Karen isn't the only one who has grown on vitex alone. I estimate that I have grown almost an inch. I had been using vitex for a while, even before Karen posted her thread (you can even read a couple of my messages on there).

Now, I am sure that many doubt Karen, and although no one has openly stated so, a few may think she lied about her results. I suspect that she simply became interested in the effect that vitex had on her breasts, and decided to share her story with other women, just sort of "passing by", but not staying on as a regular. She never tried to push any specific product on us, and vitex was a herb used in NBE even prior to her testimony. It would be more suspicious if she came on and claimed she grew on- oh, let's say- bilberries. Wink I think part of the problem is exactly what Surf mentioned: people are jumping on the bandwagon without doing the proper research, and some mistakenly interpreted her testimony as a one-size-fits all thing. If it had not been Karen, but another woman who claimed licorice root gave her back her breasts, the same thing would happen, with a whole bunch of women suddenly taking licorice root.

I should also mention that on another breast enlargement board, there is a thread from a man who claims his wife also grew some on vitex. In her case, she had been taking it to help increase fertility, and not for NBE.

Surf: Vitex only decreases prolactin only if there is too much of it, usually in cases of hyperprolactinaemia.

This message has been edited by Moonkissed on Mar 9, 2007 4:55 AM

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 9 2007, 9:49 AM

Congratulations on your vitex growth Moonkissed.......go girl!!!

Can I ask how long you've been taking it?

I am coming to the end of my 5th month and YES, I too have grown on it. I haven't gained 3 cups sizes or anything, but have grown.

Moonkissed, can I ask if you experienced any shrinking in the initial months of using vitex? I know I did, but it stabilised itself......and like I've already said a billion times, I feel that as hormones are slowly being balanced, it can lead to the loss of any fluid retention.

1.Perhaps the girls who are concerned about shrinkage have not given vitex long enough to work for them?

2. Of the girls who have shrunk, have you noticed a slimmer body with less or little bloating?

3. Of the girls who have shrunk, how many of you have continued with vitex past the 3-4 month mark?

Just some thoughts.

x

Anonymous
(Login -Moon-)
@ everyone who shrunk on vitex
March 9 2007, 10:52 AM

Did you have estrogen dominance or progesterone defficiency imbalance before you took it? Did any of you take vitex and hadn't had any major imbalance??? Thanks!

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
Faery
March 9 2007, 12:54 PM

Hey Faery it was really interesting reading your questions, because I have been thinking alot the past few days on why I shrunk. Really stressing over what I could have done!!! but anyway I have answers to two of your questions from my experience:

2. Of the girls who have shrunk, have you noticed a slimmer body with less or little bloating?

This answer is YES. I mistakenly thought that the slimming down of my butt and thighs was due to the exercise I had started, but haven't had any loss since then. When I lost the inch off my boobs I also lost an inch off each thigh and butt! So I am thinking now that the vitex just caused me to lose some water retention I was carrying, apparently, all over

3. Of the girls who have shrunk, how many of you have continued with vitex past the 3-4 month mark?

I am going into my fourth month of Vitex. I just had my third cycle on it, and will be, by Monday starting my fourth bottle of vitex. I will be continueing to use the Vitex even if it means no boob growth, because my cycles are becoming I would say 80% less painful!!!

Moon - I believe I was estrogen dominant, progesterone deficient, but I am kinda basing that view off of personal opinion and some of the different questionarres that had been posted awhile back, as well as some of the symptoms that have been mentioned from various people here.

Oh, my initial reason for taking the Vitex was to help with pms but keeping fingers crossed on breast growth. Karen Johnson originally posted that it wasn't until the 4th/5th month before she started to notice any growth, as well as the lady from the other board if I remember correctly. But neither mentioned shrinking, however if they weren't expecting growth and weren't measuring then they wouldn't have noticed any initial shrinking either right?

I would also like to note that since losing that initial inch, I haven't lost anything else, and think they are growing/bloating/swelling whatever :-) as my bras are starting to fill up again. Not my B ones, but at least my A's are filled quite nice.

I am not trying to give Vitex a bad rap at all, and will still continue to use it.

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
March 9 2007, 1:36 PM

I feel a bit better now, but still may need at ask a few more questions (please bear with me). As for my asking about Karen, I do feel she had no hidden objectives when she posted. It would be nice if she were around so that we can ask more questions (here or on beboard).

cheryl
(Login cookie1000)
March 9 2007, 2:22 PM

i myself have had growth with vitex, i've been taking it for 2 months, i also take 1000 mg of wild yam a day with it, and i massage with cocoa butter and st. ives collagen creme and have made progress, i think everyone reacts to things differently just like with any other herb, some works and some doesnt

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
Questions
March 9 2007, 3:00 PM

1. I have taken vitex for an extended period of time…about 2years, not for NBE, for my endometriosis and bad periods. Yes it worked well for that. No, I did not experience any growth at all at that time. I was also taking wild yam at that time.

2. I have not noticed my bloating significantly altered as of yet. Still struggling with it. I have lost ½ “ of the bloat around my rib measurement, but what I notice in the shrinkage is that my breasts were saggier again, and no growth pains about 4 weeks after adding the vitex to my routine.

3. Well, yes initially I went 2 years, but did not continue it while using NBE past 3-4 month mark. I should say though, I did add some to my massage cream, so I am still going to use that, but not take it internally.

4. I suspect that I am strongly estrogen dominant.

lazyboobies
(no login)
March 9 2007, 3:58 PM

hi ladies, could anyone help me figure out:
If I've always had very iregular periods, does that mean im progesterone deficient? (im 24)

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
imbalance
March 9 2007, 7:56 PM

I am not sure about the hormonal imbalance, someone else maybe could help with that, but if you don't have a lot of body fat (like a dancer) that can cause iregularity...

Ellie
(no login)
March 9 2007, 8:16 PM

I took vitex a few years ago (not for breast growth reason). I suspect it made my breasts shrink a tiny bit, but not a lot. It certainly didn't make them grow.

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 9 2007, 8:29 PM

Hi Ellie,

Did you take a high dosage of vitex.......around 1800mg per day and did you take it every day for at least 4 months?

x

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
March 9 2007, 9:09 PM

Faery I am not taking that much!!! I am only taking about 800 mg. a day. Wonder if that makes a difference? Could it be we need a higher dose? or do you think the higher dose just gets it in your system more?
I might add an extra pill in tomorrow for a few days and then add another one so totally I am taking 1600 of vitex.........that seems like a lot!!

Edit: I actually think I'll add an extra pill in tonight making my daily intake 1200 mg for a while and then see how it goes.

This message has been edited by henriettahippo on Mar 9, 2007 9:18 PM

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 9 2007, 9:18 PM

Henri, if you read the 'Agnus Castus gave me back my boobs' post, Karen was taking 4 x 400mg a day and I've been taking 1600mg per day too. It's the recommended dosage on the bottle.

See how you go and ramp up slowly but trust in your intuition. It may well be that 800mg a day is all you need.

Fingers are X'd 4 U

x

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
March 9 2007, 9:32 PM

Thanks faery, i was actually just re-reading her post, someone was kind enough to bump it up! I'll just add the extra pill for a few weeks and see how it goes. I remember last time I tried adding one in the morning I got jittery, so maybe if I split it like everybody else then it will help ~ Its easier for me to take everything at once otherwise I tend to forget to take it.......

I noticed today that even while doing a cleanse and break I am still getting really strong aches in my boobs ~ have been for a while..........haven't had herbs in a few days now and am wondering if the Vitex should just be by itself for a while.........and not to start the single herb program for a month or two........I am so torn I don't know what to do and I just bought my herbs!!!!

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
large doses
March 9 2007, 9:37 PM

I took large doses every day for two years without breast growth.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
March 9 2007, 11:20 PM

Thank you Faerycat, and congratulations on your growth. Big Grin

I started taking vitex back in early October, but with a combination of other herbs. I experienced some fullness, but not what I would label growth (maybe more like plumping?). After some thinking, I cut out the other herbs I was taking. While I did not experience shrinking during my initial stages of taking only vitex, I didn't see any growth on it, either, until after another two months or so.

I am unsure why some women experience shrinking. It may indeed be due to water retention, which would mean that most of the growth was just temporary swelling.

Why some shrunk with Vitex
March 20 2008 at 10:24 PM
double_ace (Login double_ace)
Sorry if this is old news or if it's been mentioned already but,
if some of you shrunk with Vitex it may have been because Vitex is a hormone balancer, which means if you were supposed to have higher estrogen levels and lower progesterone levels, and took vitex which decreased your estrogen levels then that would explain why your breasts shrunk.. same with people who have and need higher progesterone levels and after taking the vitex (which then lowered their progesterone levels) they've noticed a shrinkage then this pretty much explains it...

Now on the other hand you have people who grew with it and that may have been because they needed to balance out their hormones to grow which may have meant that they didn't really need more of ''this'' or ''that''.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I may be worng but it just really makes sense when u look at it this way!

This message has been edited by double_ace on Mar 20, 2008 10:25 PM

Respond to this message
Author Reply
Tianna_86
(Login Tianna_86)
Re: Why some shrunk with Vitex
March 20 2008, 10:39 PM

I have been trying to figure this out with Vitex for the longest time!
See, all the women in my family are very large (moms a DD, aunts a DD etc) and im now a very small b. Anyways, I was thinking that too, that maybe I did something to unbalance myself (i started to drugs at a young age) and taking vitex would balance me out and make me grow to what I should have. But im so confused when it comes to vitex I just dont know =(
Sorry for rambling-i just wanted to let you know I was wondering the same thing....

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 20 2008, 10:46 PM

Tianna did you say you did drugs at a young age?
I did too. If that's even what you mean :/
A lot too. My family sounds the same though. In the D or DD area. And I'm just at a b or small c...
Doing drugs [especially during puberty] will for sure stunt your growth. That may have happened to me. I also started smoking cigarettes when i was 12 years old and still do so that may be another reason.
But ever since I started taking Vitex I've only really seen positive. I wish I had a picture of me before taking it but I don't. I was definitely smaller. I would measure myself also but I lost my measuring tape. I need to get one of those. eek!

double_ace
(Login double_ace)
March 20 2008, 10:46 PM

what herbs have you tried already? I think a good idea would be to start off with one herb first and see how that goes for a week or two, then add another one, and check for any changes.. that way you know what wroks for you and what doesn't, on top of that it'll be easier to tell if you need more estrogen or progesterone or if u simply need to be balanced (in this case u could try vitex to balance it out.. or maca?)

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 20 2008, 10:48 PM

I suggest taking a hormone balance test to see where you are at. At the doctor or either online.
If not... then taking Vitex would be a better idea; for anyone. You need to balance out your hormones before you take herbs [for better results] MUCH better.

double_ace
(Login double_ace)
March 20 2008, 10:51 PM

Good idea jackie.. never thought of that, by the way Jackie, if u don't mind me asking how old you are?

I just read a post by waikiki and went and googled it myself.. Agnus castus (vitex) contains dopamine which prohibits prolactin (which is needed in breast growth) escpecially if you're still young,

so if you're under the age of 26 it's not recommended to take agnus castus (I read this somewhere on this board).

So I wonder how old the ones that shrunk with vitex were? Maybe they were young?

This message has been edited by double_ace on Mar 20, 2008 10:56 PM

Miles
(no login)
March 20 2008, 11:24 PM

Hmmmm, that's interesting about not taking Vitex when you are young. I actually remember reading on here before that the people that actually grew with Progesterone cream were also older (30's and 40's). So, maybe vitex would be more beneficial to those 30 and up? It would be interesting to know how old people were who a) grew on vitex and b) shrunk on vitex. Obviously there are other hormonal factors in play here, but age might also be relevant for this herb.

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 21 2008, 12:07 AM

Oh really? I never heard of that. I heard it's ohkay for all ages. Even though it helps with Menopause.
I'm 17... 18 in 2months exactly.
Hmmm... good question, 'cause I wonder if the people who shrunk WERE young. Do you have any idea why that would be bad if you are younger, just because it produces prolactin?..

double_ace
(Login double_ace)
March 21 2008, 12:12 AM

Vitex contains dopamine
Girls going through puberty and possibly in their early twenties (26 like waikiki said) produce prolactin

Prolactin helps grow breasts and Dopamine reduces/stops prolactin, and the purpose of increasing prolactin levels is to grow breasts

that's why it's not recommended for younger ones.. i don't know how accurate this is but in theory it's not recommended

This message has been edited by double_ace on Mar 21, 2008 12:27 AM

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 21 2008, 12:32 AM

Ohhh.
Well I would be too bummed to stop NBE so I'll just go give this the rest of the 5 1/2 months and we'll see.
:\

Tianna_86
(Login Tianna_86)
March 21 2008, 1:04 AM

Hey Jackie, yes thats what I meant. I also started smoking cigarrettes when I was 12.
But yeah I have no doubt the drugs played a huge role. I was a 32C but I had a baby last year and breastfed for a couple months which is where I really lost my boobs =(
I did the hormone test suggested on this forum, but I got confused because I had so many sympotoms from every group so I have no idea what my results are =(

Tianna_86
(Login Tianna_86)
March 21 2008, 1:09 AM

Also, i havent tried any herbs yet really. After I finished breast feeding I was really upset about my boobs and I went to my local health food store where I found Lafemme Breast and Balance. I took those and grew really quickly. I gained about a cup in 3 weeks, it was amazing. This is what got me started on this. I stopped taking them and have since lost what I gained but im very optimistic because the resukts I got from that. I think a higher quality product and the knowledge I now have will help and I really feel ill get my boobs back =)
I definitely want to take maca as well. I just ordered WU today so we'll see how it goes, but like I said- I feel very confident =)

Tianna_86
(Login Tianna_86)
March 21 2008, 1:10 AM

So now Im kinda confused, should I get vitex first and try that before WU?

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 21 2008, 1:14 AM

What size are you at now?

I would either go to a doctor or choose what you most likely fit into [with the hormone test]... look at the symptoms you have in both and see which ones you suffer more with. I'm definitely estrogen dominant so Vitex is my ideal herb.
If you're confused I suggest you go to a doctor for a blood test.

Tianna_86
(Login Tianna_86)
March 21 2008, 1:18 AM

I would say im a 32B (but I want boobs like yours!!! LOL)
I may have to do that... Im going to go back and do the test again and see what I can come up with.
Thanks Jackie!

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 21 2008, 1:20 AM

Well, I don't see why you would go get WU when you don't even know for sure that you aren't estrogen dominant.
WU and along with other products like that on the market have a ton of estrogenic herbs in it. About a year ago I took Breast Success with the similiar herbs. I didn't know anything about taking hormone tests at the time and I took it for 3months and one of my boobs shrunk from it because I was taking estrogen producing herbs.
Do you know the ingredients that were in that 'breast and balance' product you took? It would help a lot to know. Because if it helped you even gain SOMEthing, and the herbs in it are estrogen producing then maybe WU would be ohkay for you.

Tianna_86
(Login Tianna_86)
March 21 2008, 1:34 AM

The breast and balance has Saw palmetto, dong quai, damiana, fenugreek,blessed thisle, fennel, PM, wild yam, marshmallow, hops, violet and cumin (in a proprietary blend)
It also had vitamins E and B6, Folate, zinc, selenium, evening primrose oil, lecithin and maitake mushroom powder.
I got WU because it seemed to have a lot of the same ingredients.

This is my results from the hormone test: From this test : http://www.johnleemd.com/store/resource_...etest.html
1) 1
2) 4
3) 4
4) 6
5) 0
6) 2

lol i dunno if that makes any sense to you, but it confuses me cuz on one hand im estrogen deficient, but then I have the same number in estrogen dominant....i might just go get tested by my doc =(

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 21 2008, 2:19 AM

Well I don't know exactly what you checked but the ingredients in the 'breast and balance' are pretty much mostly all estrogen producing herbs so I think it's alright.
Personally I think buying BE pills that contain a bunch of herbs is a waste of money. They tell you to take a certain amount of pills a day but if you think about, it doesn't give you good amount of mg for all the herbs in it. It would take longer to take effect. I would just pick about 3 or 4 herbs that are the most effective for estrogen production and go to the GNC or a vitamin store and buy them and add your massages in with it everyday.
Usually you need to up the dosage on it with pills like that. So if WU tells you to take 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill at night OR 3 pills daily then you should either take 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night or 2 with every meal [6 a day]. Much more effective if you take 4-6 a day.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
March 21 2008, 12:06 PM

I believe the reason some women ''shrunk'' on vitex is because by balancing hormones vitex gets rid of water retention. Estrogen is not the sole key to breast growth. If it was, all women would grow on BCP (but only the minority do). I've also heard of NBE cases where women went and got high doses of estrogen on perscription, and they didn't grow at all (but rather ended up with scary lumps). Another thing is that while adding estrogen *might* in the right circumstances cause growth, that does not necessarily translate into removing estrogen causes breasts to shrink. So I'm more inclined to the hypothesis that it's getting rid of water retention.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
March 21 2008, 1:26 PM

There is a really great section in Eve's forum called Information on Herbs

http://www.network54.com/Forum/484503/

In it you can find information on most of the herbs used for NBE. This is from the thread about vitex:

Vitex works by stimulating the production of luteinizing hormone (LH) and suppressing the production of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This in turn causes the corpus luteum to secrete more progesterone. Progesterone suppresses the production of prolaction. Also, vitex has components that bind to the dopamine receptor sites of the pituitary, inhibiting prolactin secretion. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksuppl...rem_c.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vitex does not contain dopamine, but it does bind to dopamine receptor sites and stimulates dopamine production. This reduces prolactin which in turn enhances the body's ability to produce more progesterone.

When progesterone levels increase they inhibit some of the symptoms that 'unbound estrogen' can cause (think of unbound estrogen as estrogen that does not have a progesterone partner). One of the symptoms of unbound estrogen is water retention which can cause breasts to swell, especially during the later half of the menstrual cycle.

Vitex does not 'balance' hormones - basically it promotes the increase of progesterone and the decrease of prolactin. It does not lower progesterone levels that are too high and it does not directly stimulate estrogen production.

Progesterone - which is indeed stimulated by vitex - is also controlled through a complex series of checks and balances in the body. It will only increase to a preset 'maximum' level. Vitex only increases progesterone by stimulating the corpus luteum. Therefore a woman who does not ovulate or a woman who has no ovaries is not going to respond the same to vitex (it will reduce her prolactin level and stimulate dopamine production -so it could still be helpful to a variety of symptoms).

Does vitex have the ability to enhance NBE? Maybe. There was only one woman that spoke of vitex as having a significant effect on her breasts - 'Karen' if I remember correctly - and she never responded back to any question or posted again -if I remember correctly. Vitex could assist in NBE if your body needs to lower prolactin and increase progesterone. Progesterone helps to activate estrogen receptors and this in turn could lead to breast increases.

I have been taking vitex off and on since October 2006. I take it in order to enhance my progesterone production. I have never felt it had a strong influence on my breast size - but that is just my response.

Vitex can be helpful, but like any other herb its effect on each person will be a variable. Remember it can take up to 3 months before you will notice the effects of vitex.

Sorry for the lengthy post,

waxingmoon

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 21 2008, 6:26 PM

waxingmoon-
You said it takes up to 3months to see any of effects from Vitex but I'm on a month and 6 days or so and I already have a much better mood, better period, and my boobs are more fuller and shaplier. But that also could be from massaging. I still feel like it's the Vitex that's working though.

lilone
(Login Joeykk)
March 22 2008, 9:25 PM

So it's a bad idea to go on Vitex if you're under 30?

I just took the hormone imbalance test and I basically got that I have estrogen dominance and excessive androgens.

I looked went through all of the forums and information here and came up with a plan that apparently I should do Vitex for the progestrone deficieny.

I am 20 and I know that I have a hormone imbalance for sure.

If I shouldn't take Vitex what is the alternative?

double_ace
(Login double_ace)
March 22 2008, 10:17 PM

maca is an alternative i think,,., it's supposed to balance out ur hormones, maybe one of the other members could verify this?

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
March 23 2008, 12:41 AM

My doctor approved of vitex and I was 21 at the time (22 now) so I don't really get this age restriction with vitex.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
March 23 2008, 3:29 AM

If you go to the Information on Herbs link (main page) you will find the thread topic on vitex. Wahaika put in a lot of research into his post and put forth a valid concern about vitex. Indeed it does increase progesterone but it also decreases prolactin.

This is his summary:

"Summary: To reiterate, natural prolactin levels are necessary for breast development. Vitex inhibits (lowers/stops) prolactin production by raising dopamine levels. Young women below the age of 26, definitely below 18, should not use Vitex. If they do, they run a very real risk of negatively impacting their own breast development and any other development that relies on prolactin and/or dopamine to be at expected levels."

He has a very strong opinion about this. I think he may have a valid point. My personal opinion is that vitex is not detrimental in all cases for those under the age of 26. Certainly there are young women who have higher than normal prolactin levels. Also, we don't know just how much vitex affects these levels. Could it cause a change in prolactin or dopamine that could negatively affect someone's health or breast development? Maybe. There just is not enough research to know for sure. But ask yourself this - are you willing to take a risk?

My opinion is if you are using vitex for NBE reasons alone then you are not taking your health very seriously.

There is another alternative to increasing progesterone and that is the use of progesterone cream. But BEWARE. You can overdose on progesterone and it can lead to all sorts of negative symptoms. It is also a hormone and use has been linked to an increased risk of cancer. If you are in your early 20's and are considering using progesterone cream then do yourself a big favor and get tested before you use it. Your doctor can test you for deficiency and you can also purchase a saliva test online.

Be careful out there.

waxingmoon

lilone
(Login Joeykk)
March 23 2008, 7:24 AM

ok, that makes sense.

I am just looking to help balance out my overall hormones and get myself healthy, so basically Maca (sp?) would be a better alternative possibly?

If my boobs grow, awesome, that's a major plus, but really, even if just my hormones get balanced i'd be happy with that at this point.

I am all about setting up safely and taking baby steps to keep myself safe and healthy.

Sharon
(no login)
useless for me?
March 23 2008, 8:13 PM

I've actually been considering Vitex. I know for me it's estrogen dominance-I had the hormone test and the RATIO was off. They suggested progesterone cream.
So that will put me back in balance but would adding Vitex help or be useless?
I know waxing moon had this approach maybe different but I was wondering if the progesterone cream balanced out my ratio would it be useless to try vitex?

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 23 2008, 9:02 PM

You don't need both and the progesterone cream would probably be more effective - makes sure it's USP progesterone.

double_ace
(Login double_ace)
March 23 2008, 9:50 PM

Ok so with that being said.. u should balance out your hormones before you start your program then?

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
March 23 2008, 9:51 PM

Definitely you need to try be at your optimum help for any NBE to work unfortunately...

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 23 2008, 10:05 PM

Yes you should balance your hormones first, MomXseven has PCO and endometriosis and has grown really well despite this. But I don't know if anyone else with hormonal problems has had much growth. If you can't fix your hormones try suction, I don't think it matters for that, I've grown quite a bit.

lilone
(Login Joeykk)
March 24 2008, 3:52 AM

Do you have to continue using progesterone cream once you've balanced your hormones or does using it help to eventually get your hormones to balance out and stay that way?

From what I have read recently online, which makes me want to go to a Dr. even more is that, actually, if you fix your androgen levels first, that can automatically fix your progesterone. So you may not think it, but you may have an adrenal disorder which is causing you to have a progesterone deficiency and by fixing your adrenal disorder you can fix your progesterone as well.

And that saliva tests can work, but blood tests seem to work better.

Ugh, I hate needles, I really hope that I don't have to do a blood test.

Encouragement for Vitex Users
March 13 2007 at 3:28 PM Henri (Login henriettahippo)
Well in light of all the discouragement right now surrounding vitex, I thought it might be best to post how things have been going for me. A couple weeks ago I was discouraged because my boobs took a drastic shrinking............so after much complaining and whining :-), I decided to take a break from all herbs and cleanse my system while still taking just the Vitex. A few days ago I upped my Vitex to two 400mg pills in the morning and two 400mg pills at night, so a total of 1600 mg a day!! Don't know if the Vitex works this fast, but since I am taking a break from everything including massage I think it does.............my boobs are fitting back into my 32 B bras - I had to wear one yesterday because all my other ones were dirty and to my surprise I filled 65% of it!!!! I noticed that my boobs still aren't measuring but a 1/4 inch bigger, but they are closer together and there isn't as much sternum showing!!! They look rounder then before and slighty fuller!!! They feel really firm and meaty. And to top it all off, I am getting sharp shooting pains around my nipples and deep aching pains throughout my arms, armpits and chest cavity, like I have done some heavy lifting but in truth haven't excercised in a few days, andthen only work out my lower body.

As I said before, I do believe this is from the Vitex. I think because it was already in my system and has been since December, that increasing the dosage made a quicker impact and needed less time to get things moving. I have completed almost a week of cleansing and am moving into my second week of cleansing.

So everybody who is on Vitex and experiencing some shrinkage, just give it some more time. And possibly consider seperating your dosage or increasing it if you are taking a small amount as I was - I was originally just take 800mg a day.

Stay ENCOURAGED!!!!!!

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
Re: Encouragement for Vitex Users
March 13 2007, 4:10 PM

YAY for henri :-D x

Glad to hear you are on the up and out again gal!!!

Yes, I think it is important to take 1800mg a day for at least 4 months to see the results. I also feel that adding lots of other herbs to the mix may slow things down, so in this case.......less is best.

Have just done a measure and am 34 1/2 over a thin bra, so have gained 3 1/2 inches in a year. Lol, am actually measuring at 36 inches over the top of a thin sweater.....and yes too, feeling a lot meatier than ever.

Another main benefit is no more painful period cramps and no more icky skin. Vitex has to be worth it for that alone.....huh?

Keep up the good work.

Happy blossoming!!

Love

=^_^= x

gingerD
(Login gingerD)
March 13 2007, 4:17 PM

Henri, your words r most encouraging,Big ty

As per previous thread i have been having loads of pains, and nipples are so sore, but i don't think the vitex has had time to get into my system yet, like you one minuit iv over the moon feel much bigger etc, then i look a couple of days latter and i look like man boobs that have shrunk??? go figure.

So im wondering is mine mostly plumpage?possible time of month?is the pain good/bad is it the vitex that has got into system quicker than we 1st thaught possible?or is it the massage?
P.s been worrying about massage latley, i used to be such a fan but im worrying more and more that i could b massaging tissue etc away so im more inclined to do as u and leave lotion etc to soak in

any way Good luck n happy growing GD

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
March 13 2007, 4:49 PM

Hey Ginger ~ I think the Vitex can get working in some people faster then others, but I don't think they see the full effect of it for a couple months. I think the pains I am feeling are good pains, as once I started to feel them, I started to notice a difference in my boobs ~ albeit a small one, but its a huge improvement over what they had looked like. Also the pains in the armpits are what even on the BE board are mentioned alot, so I figured since I am getting them consistently now it means something :-)

As for the massage as I mentioned I really feel like the more I massage, the saggier they get, so thats why I cut back. I am just doing a break as the company suggested from the cream, and will be starting back up in a couple of days.

Faery - I am loving the painfree periods. I was having a terrible time with them, but each month its better and better, I am anxious to see how this month will be since I upped the dosage. Also I noticed that mine are getting shorte (the days of flow), I have gone from 7-9 days to 5-6 days, which doesn't seem like alot, but when you are going throughout its an eternity!!!

Right now I am considering pushing off starting a single herb routine a little longer, and if I keep getting positive results then maybe indef.!!! so we shall see.

This message has been edited by henriettahippo on Jan 3, 2008 11:52 AM

lydia
(Login Lydia1981)
March 14 2007, 9:56 AM

wow, this thread came just in time for me not to panic! i've been taking vitex for 1 month. and was eager to see how my first period would be. (hoping to have less cramps) but then my period came on tonyt! and it was a real pain! i can say that these period pains where even worse than the usual onesSad( i had to take a painkiller so that at last i could sleep after 2 hours of tossing and turning in bed!.
i'm not giving up on vitex though! because i'm sure that it still has not entered my system! and if i dont continue, well i will never know if its gonna affect my periods and my breasts! i'm currently taking the recommended dose on the bottle, which is 2 x 550mg per day. I plan to stay on that dose for another month and than up my dose maybe.

Thankyou Henri for this encouraging post!

love to all
lydia
xxx

Myjourney
(Login Myjourney)
been thinking..
March 19 2007, 4:34 PM

about the vitex. I stated that I had no boob growth on that, but I am not so sure. when I was using it I went through a couple of pregnancys. I was using vitex and progesterone cream...and some herbals to help with lactation. When I was done nursing, my breasts shrunk, but did not go back to a AA. So...either the hormones in the pregnancy or the herbs or the combo afforded me some growth. That is encouraging!
I am trying to keep my hopes up. Sometimes I wake up and think...I am silly for thinking this will work at all...but I am happy with the fact that I have some good firming...and seems like some growth...but I have been at a standstill for a bit...arg. getting impatient. I am still getting a lot of yo yo boobing... and my weight is yo yoing too.

jools
(no login)
March 20 2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I started taking vitex about 6 weeks ago - before that I had been taking nettle root (2 months) kelp (had been taking long term before) and WU (3.5 months). I carried on with the nettle root, but cut the WU out. I was pretty disappointed as I feel I have shrunk. However, I've been reading others posts about not taking nettle with vitex and I think I'm going to give that a try - so just take vitex along with my usual kelp, vitamin, gingko and EPO. Can anyone suggest anything better? And do you know if I can use PM cream with this combination or best not?

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I feel like someone understands!

Do you know any girl that take vitex and then NBE and have great result
August 8 2009 at 11:49 AM msla (Login mslananh)
Hi everyone!

I heard that vitex may decrease prolactin ,which's bad for NBE , we can increase it by fenugreek ,but i still afraid that vitex will effect NBE even though i take fenugreek or something to bring the prolactin back so i want to know that is there any girl that take vitex and NBE and have great result.Thanks for your reply

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Re: Do you know any girl that take vitex and then NBE and have great result
August 8 2009, 1:02 PM

Hi Msla,

I took vitex while doing NBE. I also used progesterone cream.

Following my use of vitex I took Goat's Rue which I think helped bring my prolactin level back up before it became too much for my estrogen dominance -thus I quit all herbs.

Vitex did not seem to interfere with my growth.

If you are strongly estrogen dominant then you may not respond well to NBE without balancing your hormones. Even with hormones balanced, a woman who is prone to strong estrogen dominance may not do as well with herbal NBE. I am such a case. Although I have grown quite a bit and kept all of my growth - herbal stuff just throws me out of balance and I now pursue suction method NBE.

There are several women who have experienced growth when they used vitex. It is entirely plausible for this to happen. In a women who has low progesterone one of the first effects of progesterone increase is an activation of dormant estrogen receptors. When those estrogen receptors wake up they can stimulate breast growth. This can go on in spite of a lowering of prolactin.

Ultimately, even with good research - we don't know how an herb will effect us until we try it.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

msla
(Login mslananh)
August 8 2009, 1:42 PM

Thanks for your help . How long do you use pro cream and vitex and which of them do you think that really increase your progesterone ?

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
August 8 2009, 6:20 PM

Hi Msla,

For me it was the progesterone cream that helped me the most. Vitex can work, but only if you ovulate. It works to increase the amount of progesterone produced by the corpus luteum after ovulation.

I am of an age where I don't always ovulate. The vitex did not seem to enhance my ovulation rate, nor did it seem to control the estrogen dominance symptoms I had.

I tried vitex the first time after I had begun using progesterone cream - about 2 months into PC use. It did seem to help me feel less anxious during the first part of my cycle. After about 9 months I stopped PC use and continued with vitex for a full 9 months. Then I stopped it as well. I tried vitex by itself again for several months but it did not reduce my estrogen dominance symptoms. Progesterone cream (and lifestyle changes) has been the only thing to help with that.

I am probably not a typical person since most don't have my estrogen dominance pattern. I know a few women on here have had it to the extent I do and they too seem to respond better to PC.

The thing that vitex has going for it is that it will never cause you to create an overabundance of progesterone. It works within the body's natural control to limit the amount of this hormone. That makes vitex safe to use. It does seem to lower prolactin - however - some reports say that at very low doses it seems to aid in lactation - perhaps it raises prolactin when at very low dosages. I am not sure if those low doses would enable it to help raise progesterone.

If you have estrogen dominance enough to show up as low progesterone on a saliva test then you would probably do fine using progesterone cream. It would be necessary to read up on how to use it (the book "What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause" by Dr John Lee).

Remember though - too much progesterone cream is as bad as too little. Be very cautious when altering your hormone levels.

I may be one of the few who did achieve growth while battling major estrogen dominance and while using vitex. I believe my growth is due to my understanding of my own personal hormonal conflict and my efforts to bring my body to balance. I have constantly changed my NBE plan based on the feedback of my own body. My long-winded program page is testimony to that.

Go as armed into treating hormone imbalance as you can - saliva test, blood test, etc. Remember that a hormone imbalance doesn't come out of nowhere. Estrogen gets high or progesterone gets low for a reason. Treating a symptom does not have lasting value. Resolve the underlying issue if possible and your symptoms will abate.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Vitex users I have a question......
August 16 2008 at 4:10 AM Abigail (Login Abigail3)
For those of you who've taken vitex and grown from it, did you lose all of your growth after stopping vitex? Is the growth permanent? Or does the growth only stay as long as you are taking vitex? I'm curious because it seems to be helping me and I don't want to lose the growth!!! :O I also want to take it as long as I can because it sure helps my super pms issues and skin.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: Vitex users I have a question......
August 16 2008, 12:22 PM

I haven't taken vitex, but I think if you take it for a long enoguh time you shouldn't loose growth. It depends on whether you achieved a permanent improvement in your hormone balance. Althoguh people also differ in how susceptible they are to lose growth. With other herbs I recomend stopping slowly, tho vitex is different from other herbs but I think it wouldn't hurt to stop slowly in this case either. When stoping measure yourself every day so that you notice any loss immediately.

Abigail
(Login Abigail3)
Thanks Moon
August 16 2008, 6:24 PM

Thanks Moon. I will keep that in mind. I sure hope I will be able to keep things. Do you know if it's ok to take a tiny bit amount of prog cream during AF? I seem to be still feeling pretty estro dom. and pretty pmsy which tends to normally go away after the first day and today is day 2. I've already lost some fullness (uggg). I sure wish I knew how to keep it during follicular! Sad Thanks for your help.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
August 16 2008, 7:46 PM

Sorry, what's AF? :I *blushes* If you mean you are having that transitional worsening of ED symptoms that happens temporarily with vitex, I think you could use PC, if I'm not mistaking Waxingmoon did that. She would be better to advise you in this department tho.

SoCal.grl
(Login SoCal.grl)
August 16 2008, 8:28 PM

AF = "Aunt Flow" = *that time* of the month, i.e. when a gal is on her period/menstruating

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
August 16 2008, 8:41 PM

Ooh right. I always thoguht that was a really weird expression lol.

Redqueen13
(Login Redqueen13)
August 17 2008, 2:54 AM

I'm a little confused about Vitex. I've read in the information about herbs section that Vitex suppresses prolactin, which is important for breast growth.

So how do some people grow (or think they will grow) on it??

Abigail
(Login Abigail3)
My guess would be....
August 17 2008, 4:14 AM

My guess would be that for the individual's that it works for may already have high prolactin levels so it's ok to suppress it without suppressing all and still get growth. Just a guess....

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
August 17 2008, 5:11 AM

Hi Abigail,
In answer to whether you can use progesterone during your period... it is sort of a two edged sword. If you use too much before the 12th day of your cycle you run the risk of preventing ovulation - which will stop you from producing progesterone for yourself that cycle, making you more dependent on the progesterone cream.

How long have you been using progesterone cream? If it is less than 3 months then don't mess with your cycle by taking it anything other than when you are supposed to. I am not saying that after that it is such a good idea, but you are looking for hormone balance and your are more vulnerable during the first few months of use.

Are you using vitex and not using progesterone cream? I guess I am a little confused as to what you are doing, so my answer is not very helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Redqueen,
You are correct that vitex lowers prolactin as it raises progesterone. You are also correct that prolactin is important for breast growth during puberty and pregnancy.

I guess it is just a matter of what is keeping a woman from achieving NBE. If it is low progesterone and the vitex fixes that, she could respond with breast growth in spite of the low prolactin. If it is high prolactin levels that keeps her from breast growth then vitex will bring it into normal ranges and she cold respond with breast growth.

Vitex did not seem to have any NBE effect on me. It did keep me from going more insane during those days 1 - 12 when I could not use progesterone cream. Overall though, the vitex alone was not enough to solve my estrogen dominance.

Some women report breast increases with vitex. Some women say their breast size reduces with it. Once again it is all a matter of who you are and what your body chemistry responds to...

waxingmoon

aunaturel9
(no login)
August 19 2008, 6:19 AM

hi abigail,

here's my little situation with vitex. I had a (500mg,100 caps) bottle of Vitex since April 26 and took one cap/day until i ran out this month (august). I was growing so nicely for 3 months and my boobies never lost its inch of growth until i ran out of vitex! when i stopped taking the vitex i was back to my original starting size and lost everything! so i ramped up every other dosage of FG, SP, alfalfa, Borage, Flaxseed oil and the growth is starting to show again. I'm definitely getting back on vitex soon though, i had my best results while i was on it.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon