Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What is Vitex?

Agnus castus
April 27 2006 at 11:17 PM Lizzie (Login LizzieT)
Hi all
Does anyone know if it's OK to take agnus castus while you're taking other NBE herbs? I mean, will it prevent my routine from working? I thought I might try it to see if it helps my acne which i think is being caused by the fenugreek, but as I'm seeing growth I don't want to ruin everything! Will also try nettle tea as suggested by Lisa...

Sunset
(Login liquidSunset)
EVE MEMBERS
hmm
April 28 2006, 1:26 AM

well I dont think it would "mess up" anything. BUT if your routine is already working, maybe you can see how those other options work out with your acne BEFORE adding this. Cause you dont want to take much/many different things and stall out.

~Have a Wonderful Day!~

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Agnus castus
April 28 2006, 6:50 PM

Hi there, I took Agnus Castus during my first routine and I grew fine with it, I don't think it helped much with the acne though, the Fenugreek always seems to counteract it.
The only thing that seems to help me while being on the routine is the Nettle tea and I am not sure if that interferes, I only drank it for a few days this month and didn't grow during the usual period, but I was under a lot of stress during that week as well and didn't eat properly. I think it probably was the stress so just now I am not drinking it and I seem to be back on track, I am getting tingles anyway. I am less stressed now too though and watching my diet. :-)
Good luck and let me know how you get on,
Lisa

helen
(no login)
April 28 2006, 7:05 PM

Agnus catcus interferes BCP.. it basically negates it completely. You might as well not take BCp if you are taking agnus catcus

Lizzie
(Login LizzieT)
April 29 2006, 12:03 AM

Thanks girls. Perhaps best not to use the agnus castus for now then. Just so fed up with being spotty... But I have bought some nettle tea today - Lisa, I'll let you know what happens!
Eliza x

Can someone tell me if this is TOO MUCH?? Or not enough??
October 11 2008 at 3:56 AM
SensualCancer (Login SensualCancer)
I just brought some vitex today because I've had some or the worst PMS symptoms ever this week. I was wondering a couple of things...

1. Is it ok to take this herb(vitex,) during my entire cycle?
2. Can I take it on my menstrual??
3. And my bottle says 500mg in one capsule. Should I take one twice a day or MORE for it to work effectively?
4. And until my order comes in, (I got it today!) I brought SP, Wild Yam, and Fenugreek supplements to get my body started from GNC. They all have 500mg in them. Should I take 1 or 2 twice a day.

I've read on the herbs about what they do but I don't wanna take an amount that isn't effective. I just re-took the imbalance test 5 min. ago and it said I have low progesterone and estrogen dominance. I have the stuff but I don't know how much I should take. I'm confused. Sad

SensualCancer
(Login SensualCancer)
And one more thing
October 11 2008, 4:10 AM

I just opened up one capsule each and put it in some warm lipton tea because I have a hard time swallowing pills. Can the heat in the tea or the liquid alone decrease the effectiveness?

aunaturel9
(no login)
Vitex
October 11 2008, 2:12 PM

I have good and bad things to say about vitex. I too took the same brand from GNC with 500mg per cap. I thought it was a miracle drug since i grew 1 full inch in 2 months. There's 100 capsules in the GNC bottle and as soon as I ran out of the pills my boobies deflated immensely. I took them everyday (without skipping) till it finally ran out.

Then I later discovered, upon research, that progesterone (like the effects of vitex) increases the size of the "lobes" in your breasts, a bit like the luteal swelling you get prior to menstruation where your breasts feel tender, sore to the touch and with an almost "tumor-like" growth beneath your nipples. And indeed, I experienced the lobes increase in size which falsely lead me to believe my boobies were actually growing.

My verdict: Vitex was superb at giving extremely normal menstrual cycles (28 days on the dot every month) and it did indeed make my boobies grow (although it ceased upon discontinuing the herb).

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Re: Can someone tell me if this is TOO MUCH?? Or not enough??
October 12 2008, 4:32 PM

Hi SensualCancer,

Take what the bottle recommends. You are taking vitex to normalize your hormones and that is the level that is suggested on the label.

I know it is easy for us to fall into the 'more is better' mentality from the way some women use herbs on this forum. But what we are really trying to do is take the MINIMAL amount necessary to achieve the effect. Taking too much will swamp receptors and stop all progress.

It will take a couple of month at least before vitex reaches its full effect, so be sure to have enough on hand so you don't set yourself back by stopping just when it was getting to full effect.

Aunatural9,

Another thing that occurs with the initial use of vitex is a slight increase of estrogen response. Progesterone in the body activates estrogen receptors. This can produce swelling in the breast and that is likely what you experienced. Exciting, but alas temporary growth that would have diminished with more constant use of the vitex. Yes, progesterone will grow the lobes within the breast but this takes time which makes me doubt that is what you experienced. Also, once these lobes have grown they generally do not shrink quickly and for some will provide lasting breast growth.

In general I do not recommend vitex for NBE, but rather for estrogen dominance. We are not taking it to grow breasts bigger - we are taking it to balance hormones so we can then grow breasts bigger. It will help us achieve our results from further NBE, but it is fairly useless as a form of NBE itself. I know there have been reports of people growing from just using vitex, but I doubt they had lasting growth even if the initial response seemed great.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

SensualCancer
(Login SensualCancer)
WOW
October 14 2008, 4:02 AM

That's really great feedback waxingmoon. Thanks.

At least I know not to do what I was about to do! LOL. So it's starting to make sense to me now. Thank God I read this because I was going to start taking like 2 in the morning and @ night. I probably would've started stalling or something.

Aunatural(Hope I got that right...)
I know I would've been disappointed if I had gotten all of that growth and it went back down too. LOL. Ok. I'll take it with caution. My stuff from greenbush and natureday is either waiting to be shipped or is on it's way. Yay.

Vitex: is it just one person's experience?
December 11 2006 at 6:03 PM Vicky A (Login VickyA)
Vitex agnus-castus (chasteberry) seems to have got numerous mentions in this forum recently, and perhaps could be regarded as our herb of the month, but is it all based on the evidence of one person (Karen) or is it's use for breast enhancement supported by any other evidence? It's said to work by increasing progesterone, which is OK in itself, but then you'd need to be short of progesterone in the first place to have any chance that this would work for you. I'm not writing this as a sceptic, I just genuinely wondered if anyone had actually reported anything positive about this herb except for that one person (who seems to have only ever posted once).

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
Re: Vitex: is it just one person's experience?
December 11 2006, 7:05 PM

i suppose many of us are wondering the same thing, at least i am. i added it a week ago to my routine and expect it to be good in general. i'm also very confused about the balance and estrogen and progesteron thing cos some say one is more needed than the other but the opinions are controversial. So i just wait and see. After all if it balances hormones it must be good, right?

My question would be how do i know if i'm balanced or not? since on herbs i have been without any PMS that i don't even know when my periods start. Also my skin has never been so perfect. Does that mean i'm balanced? But then again i haven't grown at all...

Kari
(Login PinkNika)
December 11 2006, 7:19 PM

I have been taking vitex for about 2 weeks now and really haven't seen any changes, of course its sooo early to tell, but I heard that vitex takes a while to get into your system. I am going to keep doing it though, and see what happens

Corrie
(Login Corrie73)
December 11 2006, 7:40 PM

I have been taking it since the beginning of my program, and I think it is a good herb for NBE...Actually, some of the herbal combos sold comercially use vitex as part of their mix, so there must be some evidence that it helps.

My advice would be, if you have bad PMS, like I did, then definitley include it because it does wonders for PMS, and it might help NBE too. But if you don't need it for PMS, then it is just one of many, many herbs to choose from that may or may not work.

Good luck!

Anonymous
(Login HS29)
December 11 2006, 7:44 PM

I'm taking it, just like Karen did. I suffer from bad PMS, but I suspect it's not as bad as she had it. Anyways, I'm feeling like being a guinea pig on this one- I'll let ya'll know if it does anything. It's been almost a month for me now, and I can tell you that I feel like my boobs are doing something, but the tape measure isn't showing it yet.

diana
(Login Diana1978)
vitex
December 11 2006, 8:28 PM

i thought i read somewhere that it takes like two -three months to get into the system. so i guess we just have to be patient! good luck. i have been on it for 11 days now.so add me to the vitex guinea pigs!

_violet_
(Login _violet_)
December 11 2006, 8:57 PM

I've seen vitex as being part of the ingredients in some NBE formulas, and had been dwelling about either taking it or go w/ natural progesterone for quite some time. Apparently in Karen's case she grew on vitex alone, without any other herbs. I'm on vitex together with other NBE herbs.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
December 11 2006, 9:32 PM

Vitex has been mentioned on these boards before as a NBE, but it didn’t previously have the popularity of other NBE herbs, such as fenugreek or EPO. I believe it has mainly gathered popularity due to Karen’s testimony, though.

I started taking Vitex back in August (way before Karen’s post), after I suspected I was short on progesterone. Apart from helping with my bad PMS, I noticed a small increase in fullness that escalated in late Nov./early Dec. after I cut out taking fenugreek, fennel, and other phytoestrogens. It took me about two months to see results, though; patience is a must. I can believe Karen’s post because like me, she sounded estrogen dominant, and Vitex obviously helped her, as it did for me. My growth has been gradual, but it’s there. I can see why some people may be skeptical that only one herb helped her, but if her hormones balanced out, then it is quite possible. I don’t think that Vitex should suddenly be treated as the NBE wonderherb, but it may be useful for certain women to try.

vitex reduces breast size
April 28 2007 at 11:24 AM Reneece (Login Reneece)
According to "Bartram´s Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine" nettles, vitex agnus castus, poke root and pipsissewa could be used to reduce overlarge breast. I'm aware that many people have included vitex in their routine. If vitex is used for reducing breast size, can it really enhance breast size too?

sophie
(Login sophie9)
Re: vitex reduces breast size
April 28 2007, 2:58 PM

i've read several posts on here where people say they have shrunk with vitex if i remember correctly. i've never taken it. maybe those who have taken it can help out. maybe try searching the forum with "shrink vitex". because other ladies said it helped them too.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
Re: vitex reduces breast size
April 28 2007, 11:06 PM

I have never heard of vitex reducing breasts (it did the opposite for me). Nor have I heard this attributed to nettle. Poke root, on the other hand, does not appear to reduce the breasts, but rather reduce lumps and nodes. Maybe Thomas Bartram confused his information.

Does Vitex work if you haven't had children?
February 5 2007 at 1:17 PM Pancake (no login)
Hello, this has been touched on in a few posts but as far as I can work it not completely answered... I just wondered of all the people who've had success with Vitex what was the percentage of those who've had children to those who haven't?
Would it, could it make a difference?!!! Thanks!

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
Re: Does Vitex work if you haven't had children?
February 5 2007, 10:22 PM

It worked for me, and I don't have children.

Jessica- this has been discussed before. Vitex lowers prolactin levels if the person is suffering from hyperprolactinaemia.

jess
(Login tinky_winky_18)
February 5 2007, 10:27 PM

I do not have high estrogen levels. i have high testosterone. im just wondering if im waisting my time looking into vitex?
im really trying to go over everything so i can get on a proper program this time.

thanks for the into

violet
(Login _violet_)
February 6 2007, 3:40 AM

Just thought this could be useful http://herb-pharm.com/News/winter04_fs.html

Vitex does have an anti-androgenic effect too....

Anonymous
(no login)
February 6 2007, 11:52 AM

Hi Moonkissed -

how much growth have you seen from vitex so far? How long have you been taking it.

Thanks

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
February 6 2007, 10:05 PM

I have been taking Vitex since mid-October of 2006. So far, I think I have grown almost an inch. I didn't have a tape measure then, so I never did find out the exact number I was prior to starting Vitex. Nowadays, I measure every two weeks or so. I had to throw out all my old bras because they were too tight and small, and with my new cup size, I am excited to see that there is no longer extra space in the cups, and that it doesn't ride up. I take a picture every month now or so now to document, and I think I will post the photos up in the summer.

Vitex: Is it estrogenic or on the progesterone side?
January 11 2007 at 2:40 AM Boobies06 (Login boobies06)
I've been hearing a lot on this herb lately, but no one's mentioned whether it's got a more estrogenic affect than progesteronic (is that a word?). I would like to know which hormone this herb favors. . .

Katrina
(Login mountainkat)
Re: Vitex: Is it estrogenic or on the progesterone side?
January 11 2007, 3:35 AM

Vitex acts on the pituitary gland to release your body's own hormones in balance. So you could call it estrogenic and progesteronic. It doesn't "mimic" estrogen or progesterone in the body like other phytoestrogens. That's why many women use it to balance their hormones and they use it alone.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Re: Vitex: Is it estrogenic or on the progesterone side?
January 11 2007, 1:30 PM

According to my research, vitex is ultimately progesteronic in its effect on the body. Check out the info on herbs section on the main page. I posted some info there. The herb itself has a very mild phytoestrogen, but it causes the body to produce progesterone.

Progesterone does stimulate estrogen receptors, so even if a substance is totally progesteronic, it will enhance estrogen.

Vitex or Agnus Castus
January 19 2008 at 12:46 PM helen (Login helenoliver)
has anyone used vitex, if so what were the results were there another benefits/problems. and how much did you take. thankyou in advance.
helen

Tori
(Login Tori365)
Re: vitex
January 19 2008, 2:49 PM

Hi, I have not personally used vitex but was interested in doing some reading on it as I've often sufferered from painful periods. Here is some info I found on a website which you might find helpful:

Vitex
Also called chaste berry, vitex originates from Germany and is derived from the berries of a tree. Ancient monks supposedly chewed on the berries to help them maintain their vows of celibacy, though modern research does not verify this claim.

Why do people use vitex?

Vitex contains hormones similar to estrogen. Using vitex helps women cope with premenstrual syndrome and the complications of menopause. It offers emotional balance by supplementing the drop in estrogen. Other hormone imbalances have also been treated with vitex. Herbalists claim that a regular regimen of vitex will normalize menstrual cycles and reproductive activity. Vitex is most effective for helping women who suffer severe or painful menstruation.

Who should not use vitex?

Pregnant or breast feeding women should avoid using vitex as its effects on newborns are unknown.

Possible side effects include aches and cramps in the abdomen along with diarrhea. Allergic reactions include rashes or itching.

If menstrual flow increases while using vitex, stop dosage and seek a doctor's advice.

How much vitex should you take?

The most comprehensive studies of vitex suggest taking 20 milligrams twice per day. Tinctures and teas are also available with unique regimens.

Is vitex available here?

Vitex studies mostly take place in Germany where the herb is praised, but in the United States no research has been conducted. Still, it seems vitex has a genuine regulating effect on menstruation and can relieve pain and emotional distress. Consult a doctor before using vitex yourself.

helen
(Login helenoliver)
vitex
January 19 2008, 3:17 PM

thankyou tori,
i will try this bigger boobs, better periods. what more can a girl ask for.
helen

luckyboobs
(Login luckyboobs)
January 19 2008, 4:19 PM

I have been taking vitex for about the past 2 months. I have been taking 400 mg twice a day. Prior to starting the vitex the other herbs were causing my periods to come early every time but this past month it was almost 28 days, so I think the vitex is regulating my hormones. This month I am at 27 days right now, so I think I might actually make it to 28 days. My period was also lighter and shorter in length last month. Also, I seem to be having very little cramping now when I am PMS'ing. I have gained at least 1/4 inch of growth since starting the vitex, possibly more but I am waiting to see if the other 1/4 inch is luteal swelling or growth. Last month I had very little luteal swelling, so I think some of it may be growth.

Good luck to all!

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
January 19 2008, 6:44 PM

There was a big thing for vitex about 9 months ago, put vitex into the forum search to find the old posts, then click on view thread to read all the replies in order.

Lisa121
(no login)
January 19 2008, 7:20 PM

I have been taking vitex to balance my hormones for about four or five months now, not sure. It has helped balancing my hormones and helped to reduce the length of my period, and pains are about the same as they were when on the pill, so overall it has helped.
It has not increased my boob size as far as I can tell, and it makes them shrink a bit if you had water retention, so it can make them actually seem smaller.
My boobs have gotten a bit bigger in the past few months, but anytime they filled out it corresponded to either drinking soy milk, or to taking papay extract in the ways of tingles etc.. I have also gained a bit of weight, so dont really know what to contribute the slightly bigger boobs to just now.
Vitex itself is not very likely to make your boobs grow just on its own though. It helps balance your hormones, so it doesnt actually promote boob growth. You could combine it with other herbs, such as Fennel, Fenugreek or try the papay extract like others have, that seems to do the trick for some.
It takes about three months to start working though, so you have to be a bit patient.

helen
(Login helenoliver)
vitex
January 19 2008, 7:49 PM

luckyboobs,
where did you buy your vitex from, were you using anyother form off breast enlargement, and diverting away, louise did you buy your bb from ebay? thankyou
helen

luckyboobs
(Login luckyboobs)
January 19 2008, 9:13 PM

Helen, I have been using Nature's way brand 400 mg twice a day which I bought at a local health food store. The herbs I used before that can be found under "I bought my first B-cup bra today!"

Good luck!

to all vitex users
March 22 2007 at 12:00 AM Anonymous (Login melosh)
Just wanted to share my latest experiment with vitex to see what you think. The first two bottles of my vitex were I believe natures way 400mg vitex fruit.I was taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night just like Karen Johnson. My third pot which I`m using now is called vitex super complex from rainbow light and it says 1 pill has as much strengt as 1200mg herb and it says take 1 tablet 3 to 6 times a day. Since I got absolutely no growth OR fullness from this herb so far I decided to up the dose and see what happens. Today was the first day, so far nothing to report. Is there anyone who took vitex in large doses and what results did you get? This bottle says you can take up to 6 pills a day and thats 7200mg of vitex!
FEARY, my acne is a little calmer but no major improvement to report yet. When did your acne clear?
Girls I`m getting very impatient with this vitex. I have been doing NBE for more than 7 months and have been reading this forum for god knows how long and I haven`t grown a bit!NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
Pleeeeeez give me some encouragement and tell me to stick with vitex. Tell me it`ll at least put an end to my acne problem even if it doesn`t grow my breasts. I`m about to give up and forget about this whole think. Pleeez hellllp!

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
Re: to all vitex users
March 22 2007, 1:29 AM

Wait the Vitex out longer!!!!!! I would give it until the 4-5month before totally nixing it. I am not sure how to answer in regards to the higher dose. Golly, I was nervous increasing mine to 1600 mg. a day! :-) Be careful, too much of a good thing might not be a good thing.......

I do remember that everywhere I read said to take it for at least 4 months for results, but that also wasn't breast growth. Even Karen didn't start to notice growth until something like the 4/5 month if I remember correctly....... Another thing, my new bottles of Vitex say to take a higher dosage for 4months and then drop down to 1 pill a day.....so I guess each brand is different.......I know this totally doesn't help anything and I am just rambling at this point...........so wait it out a little longer............

melosh
(Login melosh)
March 22 2007, 2:59 AM

Hi Henri
Karen Johnson said her breasts were a lot fuller by the forth month.And by the fifth month she was a full C cup.I`m in my 3rd month approaching the 4th month and no sign of growth or fullness and this is driving me crazy. I guess I have to go through another summer with small breastsSmileBest wishes...

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
March 22 2007, 10:55 AM

Melosh......the acne clearing was a gradual process. The fact that you are seeing an improvement already, looks like it is beginning to work. Every process begins somewhere, right?

2 months is very early days so hang in there. Is there any reason why you changed brands? The first brand you were taking sounds far more suitable for the task. Even if tempted, don't exceed the 1600mg a day dose.

I just wrote a response to the 'Vitex Followers' post. You may like to take a look.......

Best booby wishes

Love

=^_^= x

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
March 22 2007, 1:13 PM

Hey Melosh, hang in there. I am well in fourth month and other then some fullness, I can't say that I have gone up cupsizes or anything. But I am going to continue to use it simply because it is helping me in other areas, so I figure its a keeper even if doesn't grow boobs. Just give it some more time and maybe it will start to work.

Be very careful if you stick with a larger dose, I don't think its very safe, unless the mg is of a weaker formula or something - maybe if you list the brand and stuff we can check it out.

Lydia
(Login Lydia1981)
March 22 2007, 3:10 PM

The recommended daily dose on my bottle is of 2 pills (550mg each) per day. i'm still on my 2nd pot of vitex and about to start the 3rd and im only taking this recommended dose. Me too, i haven't seen any results but am not going to give up on it, since i know that it is a slow-acting herb. I want to give Vitex a fair chance (at least 4-5 months) before giving up. that way i would be sure it doesn't work for me and not have doubts because i quit early!

Give it some more time melosh, so that you will be sure!

xxx
lydia

Linz
(no login)
March 23 2007, 1:37 AM

Hi Melosh and other Vitex users.

I've recently begun my 3rd month of vitex. I have DEFINITE fullness, and constant nipple sensitivity/pain - and bit sort of itchy - hoping it's a sign of growth. Have just finished by period so the fullness hopefully isn't luteal swelling.

I'm taking 1600mg - same dosage /brand as Karen J.
As for acne, mine's got worse - about equivalent to during puberty. It's only very mild, and luckily it doesn't bother me much.

I decided to take vitex for irregular periods, which is one of it's uses. It's working great for that. When I did have the occasion period, I used to get really bad pains - but my last one, I could really hardly tell. I wasn't too optimistic about breast growth for me since I didn't have the classic PMS problems as Karen did, but I've recently been feeling more hopeful.

Finally, I did have half an inch shrinkage a few weeks ago and panicked - so I;m currently glad I kept going.

I reckon you should give it another month - at least it's not expensive compared to other products ey? Imagine if others start to see success, if you decide to give it another go then, you'll have to begin the whole 3 months of seeing no results again!!

Buffeee
(Login Buffeeee)
March 23 2007, 1:46 PM

Hi Linz,

Are you taking vitex only, or with other herbs?

Anonymous
(no login)
Hi Buffee
March 23 2007, 5:29 PM

Hi Buffee

I take garlic, ginger and gingko for circlation. Also, Collagen and ester C.

I'm contemplating using peppermint and evening primrose oil - but not yet - maybe after a couple of months. I don't want to interfere with whatever vitex is trying to do to my hormones.

question about vitex
December 20 2006 at 4:32 PM Anonymous (Login cutevelvet)
if i have horomonal imbalance, say i am progesterone deficient, would vitex help me? does vitecx balance out what you have or increase what you are lacking and decreas the hormone thats dominant??

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
From what I have read,,,
December 20 2006, 4:40 PM

Vitex increases progestrone, it is highly recommended to increse fertilty, for menopauseal women, and to regulate periods. It reduces cramping and shortens and lightns periods( no clotty periods).

cutevelvet
(Login cutevelvet)
Re: question about vitex
December 20 2006, 4:47 PM

thanks for a quick response. i went to see a chinese herbalist asking about the brown spots apperaing on my face. she told me that because of my pregnancies my hormones have imbalanced. my body is lacking progesterone. so would vitex be good for me? is that the reason of my uindeveloped breasts???? its like killing two birds with one stone....get rid of the brown spots and grow boobs!!!

cutevelvet
(Login cutevelvet)
Re: question about vitex
December 20 2006, 4:48 PM

...plus she told me to apply this cream and use this liquid..very expensive stuff...... any suggestions?

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
A liver cleanse<<<<
December 20 2006, 4:53 PM

The liver filters everything,,, absolutly everything in our bodies. If liver is sluggish it cannot process. The very best NBE herbs or formulas are lost if liver is unable to regulate hormones. A liver cleanse is one of the first steps for sucsessful NBE,,,. If your liver has been busy cleaning out fatty foods, medications,cigerettes, acoholic drinks,caffine, carbinated drinks, your NBE herbs are not going to work that well if at all.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
Could be,,,
December 20 2006, 5:05 PM

I know premenopausal women will start to get brown spots(age spots) at this time in lives, cause hormones are decreasing. But remember, not all women will get age spots,, some may get rosialla, (red bloches) on face, or facial hair, or start to get facial worts or mules,,, everyone's chemestry is different. I think try the vitex on its own to start and go from there. And I still recommend a good liver cleanse. I really believe that is a magor issue behind unsuccessful attemps at NBE. Think about everything our bodies are exposed to everyday,, blows you away doesn't it,,, The liver cleans it all up,, alot of work for one organ. The liver filters our hormone balances,, so go from there!!!! Good luck and research!!!

long term use of Vitex
February 15 2008 at 2:27 AM Miles (no login)
I recall a discussion people were having about whether or not to take vitex long-term. I found this info on a producct containing vitex, while searching the web today:

ngredients: Vitex, Self Heal, Fu-ling, Astragalus, Curcuma, Atractylodes, Scutellaria

Organs Affected: Liver, Speen, Lungs, Heart, Urinary Bladder

Fem-Mate helps to promote progesterone production and balance female hormones. As a result, it tends to alleviate or eliminate hot flashes in menopause. In some cases, Fem-Mate in conjunction with Chinese Bitters appears to be the only product that alleviate hot flashes after years of using hormone replacement therapy. It also alleviates PMS symptoms by stimulating progesterone production.

Notes:

* Long-term use of Fem-Mate for PMS may reduce its efficiency probably because the increased production of progesterones may lead eventually to increased estrogen production.

So, according to this, if you are estrogen dominant, long term use of vitex would actually be detrimental. So, if that's true, unfortunately, "long-term" is not defined. 5 months? 1 year? etc.

hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
Re: long term use of Vitex
February 16 2008, 6:31 AM

Why would more progesterone mean more estrogen being produced though?

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 16 2008, 6:39 PM

Didn't somebody say if you take too much progesterone producing supplements when you are estrogen dominant that ... yeah exactly what you said. But they said because progesterone is a type of estrogen. Actually I'm not even going to bother answering because I have no idea..

But I also have no idea if this is the Vitex taking effect or the massaging in these past 3 days... Because my boobs have been seemingly getting fuller and firmer.
NICE !
:]

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
February 17 2008, 1:30 AM

This website is so chocked full of information. You just have to know where to look. Check out the Information on Herbs link.

I think the information you are getting from that product is inaccurate. There is no evidence that vitex will ever increase estrogen dominance.

Progesterone is used by the body as a precursor to many hormones. One of these is estrogen. So yes, progesterone does promote estrogen. It also activates estrogen receptors so we are able to respond better to estrogen.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT CAUSES AN IMBALANCE IN ESTROGEN VERSUS PROGESTERONE. (by the way this is no 'shouting' - this is emphasis for those who prefer to 'skim' rather than read)

Estrogen dominance does not always mean you have too much estrogen - it means that you do not have enough progesterone to balance your estrogen.

When you take a substance like vitex you promote progesterone - (and you will find out how if you look to the link above). So even though this progesterone -as it normally and healthily does - increases a woman's estrogen - it does not make estrogen dominance.

I have searched far and wide to find out why some articles say the use of vitex should be curtailed. They never list any plausible reason. I find just as many if not more that indicate it has never been implicated in any harmful health effects.

waxingmoon

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 17 2008, 7:54 PM

Wow.
Thanks for the post waxingmoon.
Totally more understanding now :]
I had the total wrong idea on oh how that worked. oops!

Blooms
(no login)
Vitex and long term use
February 17 2008, 9:03 PM

In research studies, it has been documented that taking Vitex for as long as 9 years (the max length that the study followed up on the women who participated) without any side effects, with the dosage they were using. Do a search and you should easily come across reviews of research done with Vitex as it's famed for use in PMS, progesterone deficiency, endometriosis etc. The dosage they used in the studies is also reported.

I guess if one doesn't take more than what the studies has used on participants, one shouldn't have side effects. It;s been documented to be a relatively safe herb (used alone in studies).

Miles
(no login)
February 18 2008, 4:36 AM

Thanks for all the information. Yes, I wasn't sure about that website's statement, as they didn't even define what long term meant. I guess, like with any herb or supplement, if you start to experience the very symptoms you are trying to 'fix', you will know that the supplement is no longer working.

Laura
(Login pussycat_laura)
HI
February 18 2008, 2:44 PM

I take a ticture 100g of it contains 50g 'rubus ideus' extract and 50 g 'vitex agnus castus' extract, in etilic alcohol made of cereals 30% vol.
I have to take 4 ml in water every morning before breakfast.
what do you think the dosage is enough to be effective on enlarging my breasts? or I should take more or less???
this is the only product that contains agnus castus that can be found in my country so I hope it can help me .

thanks.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
February 18 2008, 3:35 PM

Laura,
My brain is frightened by the complex question you have posed. First I would have to convert grams to liters and then figure the percentages and.... AAAHHHGH... it's that horrible dream I keep having that I am in school and I have this test... but I haven't been to class all year long... and its a MATH test... and if I don't pass it I fail... and then there are these green dogs that know the formula but they won't give it to me unless I can solve this riddle...

Really, if you are following what the label on the bottle says you are doing just fine. More is not always better when it comes to NBE. The vitex will not be a problem even if you took more, but the raspberry leaf it contains could possibly be a problem if you took more than you should.

I found this about raspberry leaf:

Risks
In high doses, raspberry leaf may cause muscles in the uterus to contract or relax; therefore, a miscarriage could occur if it is used by a pregnant woman. Raspberry leaf should not be used by women who have endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or cancers of the breast, ovaries, or uterus. Men who have prostate cancer should also avoid using it. Women who are breast feeding should not drink large amounts of raspberry leaf tea due to unknown effects on infants. Individuals who take insulin or oral drugs for diabetes should also limit their use of raspberry leaf by mouth, because it may reduce blood sugar levels erratically. http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsTa...us,00.html

So, maybe someone else can answer you complicated MATH question, but you are probably fine just staying with your dosage if that is what the label says to do.

waxingmoon (the math phobic)

Durga
(Login durga)
February 18 2008, 9:18 PM

Laura,

I've had similar questions regarding liquid extracts and I feel like they (my questions) are being avoided like the plague! I think it's just that not many people may be using liquid forms, and also that there's elusive math involvedSmile

I think Waxingmoon's right, if you're taking the dose that's listed on the label, you should be fine. Vitex takes a while to have effect (up to three months or so?), so give it a trial and see if you notice results. If not, you may want to try another herb that you can increase dosages on-if that ends up being the case. Yes, the raspberry is questionable as far as upping the dose.

Maybe you'd want to make a separate post and see if there's anyone else in your country that knows other herb suppliers.

Good luck,
Durga

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
February 19 2008, 7:57 PM

I never knew all of this about raspberry leaf! I used to have alot of the tea but not anymore... didn't notice anything strange, but interesting info

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon