Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What is Vitex?

To everyone taking VITEX / agnus castus / chastethreeberry
December 30 2006 at 2:37 PM Moon (Login -Moon-)
Lots of people are using vitex lately and reporting positive feedback, and I thoguht of adding it myself a bit later. What I'm wondering about is this - isn't vitex supposed to be for low progesterone levels? Did everyone who take it used to have bad PMS, or is it helping also someone who is not particulary low on progesterone?

Jess
(Login IttyBittyTitty)
Re: To everyone taking VITEX / agnus castus / chastethreeberry
December 30 2006, 3:19 PM

Hey Moon,

Well...this has been my experience thus far. My last cycle before herbs was the worst in terms of painful cramps. The one period I've had since I've been on herbs was wonderful. Only very minor cramps, lighter, no moodiness. So it could be coincidence but I'll keep you posted on how it goes in the future.

. . . .)\_ _/( . .IttyB
--=(__/^\__)==-

_violet_
(Login _violet_)
December 30 2006, 3:21 PM

Oh yes, I do suffer from PMS, maybe many will find it silly, but I noticed a difference in my boobs in days, when took the vitex, and it wasn't swelling, I wasn't even near the lutheal phase in my cycle. My pms symptoms improved a bit, I definitely had a lot less menstrual cramps and my bad moods only lasted 3-4 days. I have noticed quite a difference although it isn't supposed to work this fast.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 30 2006, 3:33 PM

I thought cramps didn't constitute as PMS, I though PMS was only the signs befor the period. I never have any signs of PMS, except cramps, which used to be quite bad, latly moderate. I wonder if vitex woul be a good choice in my case.

Corrie
(Login Corrie73)
December 30 2006, 4:04 PM

My understanding is that heavy cramping and/or bleeding indicates estrogen-dominance, while PMS (moodiness the week before the period) indicates low progesterone. It is possible to have both, but Vitex helps with low progesterone, which is why it is excellent for PMS.

I have been taking Vitex for perhaps 2 or 3 months...My PMS is much, much better. As for NBE, though, it is going very slowly right now, and I don't know how much the Vitex is helping. I probably would not recommend it for anyone who does not have symptoms of low progesterone (PMS being the main symptom).

Good luck!

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
December 30 2006, 7:47 PM

I have only been taking Vitex since mid December, so about 2 weeks and haven't noticed much of a difference. My boobs are more sore then they normally are, and seemed to swell up before they usually do, but I haven't found relief from my pms symptoms yet, which is mainly why I started it up. I believe that I am estrogen dominant, low progesterone. I get terrible cramping, almost comparable to labor, medium bloating, very heavy, long periods, fatigue, headaches, attitude highs and lows, all associated with my period or there around, and some other symptoms, that aren't as major. The doctors continually try to stick me on birthcontrol to try to correct these for me, I've tried so many its not funny ~ but they (bcp) just seem to make all the symptoms much much worse. So after reading some of the reviews of Vitex, and digging some info, I thought why not, it can't get any worse. I am really hoping that next month I'll see a great imporvement. I have also like faerycat, cut back on the amount of pills that I am taking. For me its just to get the Vitex working and then I'll consider upping my dosages again. If it helps me grow boobs all the better, but I really need to find something just to help balance me out.

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
December 30 2006, 8:05 PM

Henrietta

i noticed you have the same problems as me (heavy cramping and bleeding). Im wondering does it make sense to add phytoestrogens while we already have excess estrogens?

i was on my program (fenugreek and sawpalmetto) for 4 months without any growth. Now i'm preparing for my next routine but feel confused whether to add phytoestrogens.

i have been taking Vitex for over a month now and it did regulate my cycle which is positive. another thing is i still get underarm pain which i don't understand.

i have been reading lately here and there and i feel so cofused about the hormonebalance. Everyone here who's growing well with taking phytoestrogens should be lacking estrogens, right? what about the ohters?

oh i don't know

Bonnette

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 30 2006, 8:35 PM

@Bonnette
I don't know exactly how phytoestrogens and estrogens interact, but it's not like you assume, because it's not that simple, it's very very complx. There herbs don't just simply reduce of increse our hormons levels, they reduce them in some circumstances and increase them in others. Also the effects of estroegnic activity are in a very complex relation with our hormones and phytoestrogens, it can be that herbs increase the estrogenic activity efefcts (boob growth), but actually decrease the production of our hormone. It's very complex cause phytoestrogens act like the hormones estrogens, but also antagonise them. So basically we don't have much clue, but the bottom line is that the herbs more so regulate the hormone levels, rather than just increase/decrease them, so I would say that phytoestrogens must be in every routine.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 30 2006, 8:39 PM

Doubtlessly though the combination of hrbs for excess estrogen imbalance must be sth different and specific, but that is the thing that's hard to find out. But I have lately come to think that a routine is best to contain several different herbs, so that you get as much as balancing actions as possible, among them also the one that is right for that specific body.

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
December 30 2006, 9:00 PM

thank you Moon

it really is complexed. i decided to take vitex for some time and get balanced and then start again. i think the ladies that have growth here are so very lucky.

oh and i just started to feel boobpain again, don't know why

Bonnette

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
December 30 2006, 9:54 PM

Hey Bonnette, I have been actually wondering the exact same thing. This is why I dropped the amounts of everything I was taking, not that I have been taking a whole lot. And also this week the whole family has been sick with some cold/flu/sinus thing so I wasn't able to take pills until yesterday. So I had a three day break from NBE pills, two days from the Vitex, and now a new routine (again!) I can't say that since I started NBE in May things have gotten better. My flow has changed alot, some months better, some monthe worse but everything else has remained the same, so I haven't had the improvement some people have mentioned. I was reading through some of the programs and some of the posts and thats why I changed my program. I had some growth, more like filling out rather then actual growth, but I seem to be at a stall, I haven't really grown, at least measureable growth in a couple of months. They look fuller and fill my bra differently but that also varies depending on the time of month. Right now I am filling 3/4 of the B bra I have, but a few days ago, I was in my A one because the B was too big (period swelling).

Read WaxingMoons personal program page ~ its titled aaaa to start, she goes into some detail about the hormone thing ~ I have some of the symptoms she mentioned.

I think the Vitex is working, because I can't remember who posted it or where they posted, but I think they said that the Vitex will cause the estrogen receptors to turn on first, which causes a "bad period" and then start to regulate the progesterone. Don't know if they meant a bad period or a bad period of time until the progesterone regulates. And since this month has so far been the worse period month for me since I was a teenager, and the only thing I have changed was I added the Vitex, I think my estrogen receptors have turned on, so now its just waiting for the progesterone to regulate......I wish I could find that post, or whoever posted that info could correct this if what I am remembering is wrong. or backwards, or whatever.

Anyway Faerycat posted that she noticed that when she lowered her phyto's while taking the Vitex, she seems to have be growing faster then before. But like I said earlier, I really would like to stop these cramps for one and the heavy bleeding, because its getting unbearable. I am too the point that I told DH it might be better to have all those organs removed because the pain alone is overwhelming, and there isn't really anything to help it, pain meds don't touch it, unless I take percocets, and I hate popping those, and they only dull pain to an ache.

Sorry for the story, I have been locked up to my thoughts for days now!!!! Its nice to hash this out with someone else!

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
December 30 2006, 10:05 PM

Hey bonnette, found the post I was talking about, seems you've already been there though. Its called off herbs...still pain, you posted it a couple days ago!!! And it was waxing moon that responded. Maybe we should post a message to her asking her explain more to us about it. I don't read every post that gets put up, so I might have missed something if she explained it somewhere else.

I also wanted to add earlier ~ I feel at this point its not going to hurt my routine any by playing around with it. Nothing has really been going on for a while. I think most of it has been wishful thinking and the placebo effect ~ Its easier for me to be taking something I see working a little bit each month, then nothing for a few months, I get discouraged to easily.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 30 2006, 10:09 PM

@Henri - the 'bad period' probably means a painful and strong bleeding, it would make sense as that is a symptom of excess estrogen. Btw, do you have endometrosis? I used to have killer cramps, but I wasn't diagnosed with endometrosis. BCP has made it better tho.

It also sounds sensible to me that in the case of excess estrogen one should take low doses of estrogenic herbs - just enoguh for regulation of other hormones and not to much of estrogenic action.

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
RE
December 31 2006, 12:26 AM

I started taking chasteberry capsules back in October, before it became the new wonder herb on the board. Smile I've always had bad PMS, so I figured that chasteberries would help with growth as well as managing bad symptoms. They did both, but mainly after I stopped taking fenugreek, fennel, and flaxseed. Now I am on chasteberry capsules alone.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Estrogen receptors
December 31 2006, 2:17 AM

The effect of progesterone on the body in multifold. It is the precursor to many other hormones, estrogen and cortisol for example. It also activates estrogen receptors. When a person has been low in progesterone (either not producing enough progesterone or having an imbalance because of too much estrogen) the initial effect of progesterone supplementation is to wake up the estrogen receptors. This can cause weeks to months of increased estrogen dominance symptoms (PMS, cramps, heavy period, breast swelling). It will go away when the progesterone becomes balanced.

Vitex stimulates the pituitary gland to produce progesterone. Therefore, it will likely have the same effect as natural progesterone creams, but since the body has to create the progesterone with vitex, it may take longer to get results. All I have read about vitex is that the longer you use it, the better the effect.

However, there is such a thing as getting too much progesterone. If the body has greater amounts than it needs, then all beneficial effects are lost. This would mean a return of estrogen dominance symptoms.

I am not sure what the safe maximum dosage of vitex is. I am researching to find out if overuse of vitex will cause overproduction of progesterone. I will let you know my findings. I am also trying to track down why some bottles of vitex warn about not using it more than 6 months.

Moon, I agree in theory that the use of small amounts of phytoestrogens should tie up the estrogen receptors and help with estrogen dominance. This has not been the case for me. I tried a small amount of saw palmetto which I stopped due to an increase of estrogen symptoms. I also tried a little licorice tea as well as red clover tea. I found out that red clover is very anti-progesteronic as is the licorice. (see my post in the herb section) You may have all read about my unfortunate fatty deposits through use of maca (deposits which would indicate an increase in estrogen dominance). Maca is not even supposed to be an estrogenic herb. I just goes to show what you say all the time. Each person has to find the recipe that works for them. No one can do the work for you. You must research and try things with a mind focused on your bodies reactions.

I will be researching more on progesterone and vitex this weekend and will share what I find.

waxingmoon

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
December 31 2006, 4:22 AM

I found an interesting article about vitex and posted it on the herbal page under the vitex topic that was already started. With all that is listed under that topic we should have vitex all figured out... lol

By the way according to what I read, vitex is very safe. There does not seem to be any way that it will cause over-production of progesterone. Most of the pages and pages of scientific articles I have read do not even mention its progesterone enhancing effect. They are all about its prolactin lowering effects and how this is definitely a good PMS herb. There was even an article that talked about some mild phytoestrogenic effect of vitex.

Now I just need to focus on something totally unscientific or else I am going to be dreaming about mu receptor cites colliding with alpha reductace inhibitors as the gamma linoleic acids have a meaningful conversation with me about my dysphoric breasts. ahhhhhhhhhh!

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Corrie
(Login Corrie73)
December 31 2006, 4:42 AM

It took vitex at least 2 months to relieve my PMS...it takes a while but it really seems to work. For those of you who just started it, hang in there!

Anna
(Login anna-a)
December 31 2006, 9:15 AM

I just started taking vitex one week ago, so it's to soon to tell the influence on PMS or NBE. Since then, I do have more energy, feel less cold, sleep better and feel stronger (like it balances not only my hormones but my whole body)! (Sorry if I sound like a commercial). It might be coincidence, but I guess time will tell

Good luck all of you,

Anna

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 31 2006, 10:04 AM

@Waxingmoon - Excellent info, thank you!

Everyone else, good luck on vitex!

henri
(Login henriettahippo)
December 31 2006, 3:11 PM

Hey Moon ~ I don't have endometroses, they originally thought so, but nope, everything is normal. But trust me the bcp didn't work. The one made me have a two week period, then two weeks off two weeks on, this went on for a few months, and then I said I wanted something else. So the next one made me throwup each time I got my period for 4 days, I couldn't even get out of bed to take care of my children so they spent a week each month with my mom. So I gave that up after 5 months. The others caused me to have severe emotional swings. And my husband said to stop them, its not like we were using them to prevent pregnancy. SO I was on them for about 2 1/2 years before I threw in the towl.

Thanks waxingmoon for the info. When I can actual think straight I will re-read the info. Sinus' are really bad, so I am kinda fuzzy right now.

HS29
(Login HS29)
January 2 2007, 2:18 AM

I've been taking 2 pills 2x per day for over a month now and I can tell you that I did not have ANY PMS this time. I am normally RAGING and I didn't have any of that.
As for growth, well... Still waiting on that one. Smile

Donna
(Login sadkow)
Re: To everyone taking VITEX / angus castus / chastethreeberry
January 2 2007, 3:01 AM

I have been taking Vitex for about a month now and whilst I don't have any periods due to IUD, I usually get really irritable each month when I would have had my period anyway.I don't remember feeling cranky lately at all and seem to have grown 1/4 inch in the last week or so. I am taking Vitex because I think I am low in progesterone and I also get hormonal acne each month (which I hate) and my skin is much clearer these days than it has been for a long time. I will take Vitex for a long time even if it is only to keep the acne away and stop being irritable - if the boobs grow as well then I'm not complaining !!!

vitex and hair loss
June 21 2007 at 1:45 AM KimBoly (Login KimBoly)
Has anyone here experienced hairloss from using vitex?

stefanie
(Login stefanie_ss)
Re: vitex and hair loss
June 21 2007, 1:58 AM

if you have lost hair from vitex, drop it. maybe substitute saw palmetto.

KimBoly
(Login KimBoly)
i havent lost any hair
June 21 2007, 2:20 AM

I am considering going on it and I have heard that it causes hair loss.

Thanx

Deb
(Login ddover)
June 21 2007, 2:30 AM

I've been on it for about 3 months and haven't had any problems. In fact, I will keep taking it for other reasons besides NBE. My periods and PMS are almost non existant now!! Enough reason for me to keep taking it:-)

KimBoly
(Login KimBoly)
thats awesome!
June 21 2007, 2:45 AM

Have you had any weight gain?

Kari
(Login PinkNika)
re:vitex and hair loss
June 21 2007, 4:35 AM

I haven't had any problems with hair loss, and I have been taking vitex for 6 months, I did some research online and a lot of websites say it actually promotes hair growth, but then there are other sites that some of the side effects are hair loss. I hate when I find information like that, but here are the links that I found:

These are the ones that say it helps:

http://www.alternativedr.com/hair_loss.htm

http://www.hairloss-research.org/Estroge...tives.html

here are some that say it doesn't:

https://www.drugdigest.org/DD/PrintableP...94,00.html

http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/herb.../vitex.php

Hope it helps Smile

-Kari

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
June 21 2007, 11:39 AM

I have been on Vitex since Dec, and have had no hair loss, just the opposite. I have noticed less hair falling out now, then I did before I started taking it. Although I haven't noticed any major improvement for NBE with it, I will say that it does wonderful things for pms symptoms.

Deb
(Login ddover)
June 21 2007, 1:35 PM

Nope, no weight gain at all! I did have weight gain when I was on the individual herbs. About 10 pounds worth! Since I've stopped all those and am only taking the Vitex and BO, I've lost the 10 pounds. I have found that I have no acne (at 41, that's a good thing), PMS is gone, periods use to last 7 days at least and now they are over in 3. I still have a pretty bad first day, but after that, I can't even tell I'm having it!

Sheepskates
(no login)
June 21 2007, 8:43 PM

But doesn't the Vitex stop the Bovine Ovary from having any effect since it balances out hormones rather than allow raised levels of them?

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
June 22 2007, 8:22 AM

No hair loss. Actually, my hair has grown thicker overall, but that is also because I have been taking silica and biotin. Smile

------------------
It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it. -- Author Unknown.

Deb
(Login ddover)
June 22 2007, 12:20 PM

Weelllll, that is an interesting question. And, one I hadn't thought about. I have pains with the BO and I am having some progress as well. But, if the Vitex interfers with it, then I may have to stop the BO and go with something else. I'm not giving up the Vitex!:-)) Anyone else here have info on taking the Vitex and BO together??? I really don't want to have to start over again with, yet again, a new pill. I already feel like a science project. Like I belong in one of those booths at the fair. "ladies and gentlemen, step on up and see the lady that has tried every pill in the world to make her boobs grow" Sorry, I'm not awake yet:-)))

Another question about Vitex usage
March 18 2009 at 7:55 PM Brielle (Login moonchild72)
So there seems to be a lot of confusion about Hormone deficiencies and how to correct them on these boards. And now I feel like I'm among the confused Sad

I began my NBE in Sept 08 using a commercial product that uses phytoestrogenic herbs.
I can't complain because I have experienced some growth going from NOTHING to a full A, small B. In the months since I've done research and when my current supply runs out I would like to switch to individual herbs so I have a little more control over what enters my body. I am also trying to be extra cautious because I am a little overweight and on medication for hypertension, so I don't want to interfere with mother nature too much.

With that said, I have taken a saliva test and found that I am Estrogen Dominant with low progesterone (strange that the phytoestrogens actually may have worked?). I've already gone ahead and ordered Vitex. I know everyone says to take the recommended dosage and it takes a minimum 3 months to start working. How long does one have to continue to take it to get hormone levels in check? Do I just plan to take another saliva test to confirm? in 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? And lastly once the Vitex helps restore hormonal balance, do you simply stop taking it and continue with an NBE program? I know there is a wealth of information on this site but I could not seem to find these specific answers so any help would be greatly appreciated. Even any personal experiences as to how long it took to balance your hormones.
Thanks Ladies!

adrianna
(no login)
March 19 2009, 7:18 PM

Phytoestrogens arent necessarily bad for estrogen dominance, in fact they can be beneficial. Look at what this website womentowomen.com said about it and I quote: "Phytoestrogens are part of the phytohormone class described at left, which means they structurally resemble the body’s native estrogen. Their chemical structure is such that it allows them to weakly bind to an estrogen receptor, potentially blocking excess estrogen, or, when estrogen is low, quieting the system’s need for estrogen. But they are not estrogen."

adrianna
(no login)
March 19 2009, 7:23 PM

some people notice a difference soon with vitex while others take longer. In general vitex works better when taken over a longer period of time. 7-8 or longer. you should just feel out the situation for yourself. if its helping you and you like it then keep taking it. If you want to get your hormones checked again then I would probably wait at least 3- 6 months to check them. These things take time.

Vitex for second half of cycle
November 16 2008 at 12:45 AM SaggyNymph (Login SaggyNymph)
What do you guys think of adding vitex to the second part of my cycle? Please look at my program page!

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: Vitex for second half of cycle
November 16 2008, 9:44 AM

I have been wondering the same thing, but I have doubts because vitex is supposed to be a slow acting herb so not sure if it would even work in the second part of the cycle when you'd take it. I hope Waxingmoon sees this thread, I wonder what she thinks.

Also I heard that dividing herbs on folicular and lutheal phase in popular in asian NBE but not sure what they used in the luteal phase...

Lisa121
(no login)
November 16 2008, 1:37 PM

I dont think there is any point, it takes up to three months to work and taking it for only two weeks on and two weeks off wil probably be more harmful than good. It is for balancing your hormones and like that you will just mess with your system. Not a good idea at all I would think.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
November 16 2008, 6:13 PM

Hi Saggynymph and Moon,

The thing about vitex is that it works by stimulating the body's natural progesterone production. In order for it to do this it must be used during the entire cycle. I know that progesterone is predominant during the luteal phase, but in order for that phase to have more progesterone there must be preparation during the follicular phase.

Think of it this way. You want to bake a cake, but if you did not go out and get the ingredients before hand, you have nothing to bake with.

Now using progesterone cream on the other hand is done only during the luteal phase. It provides the progesterone directly. Sort of the difference between making the cake from scratch yourself and getting a piece of cake handed to you.

Can anyone tell I am trying to lose weight... lol.

Mmmmmmm cake.... slobber....

Best wishes,
waxingmoon - currently cake deprived... sob.

hopeful
(no login)
November 16 2008, 7:14 PM

So does that mean just using the progesterone cream during the luteal phase would help boost the amount of progesterone? Or do you need to take it in combination with the pills?

hopeful
(no login)
November 16 2008, 10:02 PM

What type of progesterone cream can you use and where can you get it?

SaggyNymph
(Login SaggyNymph)
November 17 2008, 1:19 AM

I use emerita. It it used by younger women and menopausal women. I live in NY and you can find it at most health food stores. If not, try online!

ShyBoobs
(Login ShyBoobs)
Just another PC suggestion...
November 17 2008, 1:54 AM

Another natural progesterone cream is Progesterall. I think it's only available online. It's supposed to be manufactured to meet Dr. Lee's standards (plus has the Lee Family name on it), and he seems to be highly regarded with women's hormonal issues and the like. Website is www.progesterall.com/ for anybody that's interested. I just started to use it today myself.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
November 17 2008, 3:22 AM

Hey everyone,

Don't use progesterone cream until you have thoroughly researched it and know how much, and when to use it and even if you should use it at all. This is a hormone and as such it should be used only for the right reasons.

A good reference of using progesterone cream - all the why, how and when - can be found in the book by Dr. John Lee - "What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause" - I highly, highly recommend it (and I WISH I got some sort of royalty for all the times I recommend this book ... lol).

Be safe and smart like I know you all can be. Look before you leap.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Rosa
(Login BlackDiamond27)
March 3 2009, 8:29 AM

I agree with Lisa it won't be necessary b/c you need to balance yourself and doing it everyday is what you need with chaste berry.I use it everyday matter of fact I took my pill not too long ago.Words cannot describe how blessed I am to have found this.I love it b/c it is not a hormone pill.It works by balancing the pituitary gland which keeps hormones in check.It gets no better than that.That's why I hate bcp you get off your pituitary is still messed up but with this you are set.I take mine 3 times a day everyday.

Vitex and Acne
January 21 2007 at 7:51 PM littlemadison (Login littlemadison)
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering for those of you that take Vitex, or have read enough information on it, does Vitex clear up acne? I have a friend who's been fighting it for a long time, and lately has been going to the hospital a couple times a month to get treatments. She has really sensitive skin and isn't even allowed to wear most types of make-up (they need to contain only a few key ingredients - so nothing can be bought in department stores.) As long as she isnt putting any foreign creams on her face I'm thinking it would be okay to take it. But does anyone know if it actually clears it up pretty quickly or know anything that does?

xlittlemadison

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
Re: Vitex and Acne
January 21 2007, 8:04 PM

Hi petal,

Listen, I am 42 and have been plagued with troublesome skin since I was 12. I cried soo much when I had my first breakout and asked my mum back then when it would clear up. She says it would all be gone by the time I was 18.

It didn't. 28 came and went. 38 came and went and it was still there. It blighted my life so much. I could never let anyone, not even my kids, see me without make-up on, and I had to trowel it on so heavily to cover everything up.

I tried every lotion and potion there was available with no luck. I tried every antibiotic, every type of BCP over the years. Cut everything I thought could be the culprit from my diet, but alas nothing ever worked.

Since taking vitex..... and am now on my 4th pot........my skin is clear!!!!! I don't even have to wear make-up any more. It's like a miracle has happened. It took about 6 weeks or so to see any real effect, but to have clear skin for the first time ever is just amazing.

I hope what I say will give some hope to your friend.

I feel that because vitex balances out your own hormones, it brings harmony back into your body again. I always felt that because my hormones were so unbalanced was the reason for never growing boobs and having awful skin. My boobs have grown more since being on vitex compared with the other herbs and programmes I've tried.

I hope it all works out for your friend.

Love

=^_^= x

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
Thanks
January 21 2007, 8:12 PM

Thank you so much for you story. I think I'm gonna ask her what she thinks about it but I would definitaly buy this stuff for her if it's going to help her. It seems like anytime it seems to start clearing up, it comes right back and she's in the doctors office for another treatment.

xlittlemadison

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
another question
January 21 2007, 8:31 PM

Just a quick question about side affects I'd like to add as well. When you start initially taking it, are there any side affects? Nausea, irregular periods, anything at all like that or does it just start working and clearing stuff up for you w/o a sign your even taking anthing?

Also, how much do you take? Is this something where she would have to take 4-6 pills a day or is it one in the morning and one at night?

xlittlemadison

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
oops
January 21 2007, 8:58 PM

Hhaha I forgot one more thing:
Can it be taken with birth control? Don't know if she's on it but I wouldn't doubt it. So I should probably make sure ahead of time.

xlittlemadison

Breastfest
(Login Breastfest)
Goodbye acne
January 21 2007, 9:03 PM

I've been on Vitex for about 1 1/2 months. My skin is clearer than it has ever been! I am so pumped about it. I have fought acne since I started menstruating at 11. The only thing that ever seemed to help me at least maintain some sort of order was Proactiv, which I discovered about 3 years ago while pregnant with our first child. My face was a wreck at the beginning of pregnancy, but it calmed down a bit during the third trimester.

I haven't had any side effects at all. I had been taking the Solaray capsules (3 in the am and 3 in the pm). I ran out of those and started a liquid yesterday. I am anxious to see how it will work. I do have to say that it tastes TERRIBLE, even in juice. But hey, it's worth it!

My measurements are actually up 1.5 inches since I started Vitex the beginning of Decemeber. I am due to start any day now, so it will probably disappear, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
January 21 2007, 9:13 PM

No littlemadison, no side effects whatsoever. In fact everything has been so positive.......clear skin, no more PMS, lighter and shorter periods, no more sugar cravings, no more fatigue, booby growth.......I could go on and on :-)

The amount I take is 2 x 400mg in the morning and 2 x 400mg in the evening. That is the recommended dosage on the pot. It takes some weeks to kick in so she will have to have patience.

Not 100% about use with BCP, that question seems to be open for debate. Some say it's ok to use with it and others say no. Perhaps more research is needed before she goes ahead.

Sending her lucky wishes

x

Anonymous
(Login littlemadison)
January 22 2007, 12:20 AM

Well I know for sure she does not want her boobs any larger. Do you think if she takes 800mg a day they will grow?

I could not really find anything about side effects either. I just don't want to recommend something and then all of the sudden her periods are a lot heavier for her first cycle on it. She probably wouldn't be too impressed with that, then she would quit taking it. Maybe it would be better if she took it the first day after her period ended and that would give it three weeks to kick in and get into her system making her first cycle on it a good experience.

xlittlemadison

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
January 22 2007, 8:00 AM

No, I don't think she will grow any more if she has already developed an ample sized bust.

What I would say vitex does is balance out your hormones. If like me, one's hormones are so out of synch to the extent that a bust never developed in the first place........OR they started to grow but stopped at a very small/under-developed size.........THEN vitex will cause the body to respond naturally and catch up on what it should do.

I have a friend who is a 46G bust and she started to take vitex at the same time as myself to help with PCOS and severe period problems and she hasn't gained any boobage. We are both into our 4th pot.

Your friend should be able to start vitex at any point in her cycle, but she must continue to take it every day without breaks to reap any benefits. As I say, it will take a number of weeks to show skin results so it won't happen over night.

Hope this helps.

x

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
Thanks
January 22 2007, 9:03 AM

Thank you everyone for all your information and being so helpful. Of course, more success stories are always welcome. The more, the better. I ordered two bottles from Vitamin World today. Hopefully her doctor will okay it and she'll give it a try, and I hope she sees some improvement sooner than later so she doesn't get discouraged.

xlittlemadison

VITEX AND BLOATING ? >_<
February 11 2008 at 12:50 AM Jackie (Login classyfashh)
So I read some of these threads and saw comments about people who have tooken Vitex Agnus Castus that the reason why it didn't work for them to gain boobs was because the pills made them lose all water retention [which had been in their boobs].
I was thinking if that would happen to me. Usually, when I wake up I always seem more slimmer but right away when I eat [ANYTHING] I get all bloated and gain a pound or 2. And then I stay like that for the rest of the day pretty much until I wake up after sleep. Is anyone else like this?
Does anyone think these symptoms would lead Vitex to make my boobs shrink even though I AM estrogen dominant? I hope they don't make me lose water retention that may be in my boobs since I am always bloated a lot.
Urrrrrgh :/

Miles
(no login)
Re: VITEX AND BLOATING ? >_<
February 11 2008, 5:46 AM

Hi Jackie,

I have the EXACT same problem. I wake up, most of the time, looking normal, and then, even if I just drink water, I bloat up to varying degrees and stay that way all day. It seems to have started after I began the NBE herbs (fenugreek - seems to be the works, fennel, red clover and wild yam). I don't know if it is an estrogen dominance thing or a reaction to the herbs or a digestive thing. I know other people on this board have experienced the exact same problem, but can't be sure what the cause is. I was wondering the same thing about Vitex. If it can help the bloating, it might also help with breast growth as it might regulate people like us. It's really hard to tell though unless you just go ahead and try it. I've not started it (vitex) yet, but plan to in the near future.

Miles2GO

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
February 11 2008, 12:04 PM

Because NBE herbs disrupt the stomachs natural bacteria and enzyemes, you need to replace them daily either with eating yogurt, which probably isn't enough, or with over the counter digestive enzyemes. There are many brands which you would probably only find at a health food store. Every NBE program needs digestive enzyemes in the mix, to help stop some of the bloating herbs cause. I brought this to members attention about 10months ago, but i don't think it was taken seriously. Herbs destroy stomachs natural bacterias, therefore they have to be replaced.

Mika
(no login)
Herbs destroy stomach bacteria?
February 11 2008, 1:22 PM

I doubt that herbs can do much to destroy stomach bacteria directly. In the first place, our stomach is a very acidic environment that isn't conducive for bacteria growth at all, save for some special native bacteria (a.k.a. flora) that is good for our body. On the other hand, if u take alkaline stuffs, or stuffs that interrupt the HCL acid production in the stomach, u actually produce an environment that is more conducive for the bacterias to thrive in. If you take too much acididic stuffs that further decreases the pH of the acid contents, then at worst you start to have gastric erosions/ulcers.

Destroying stomach bacteria thus leading to bloating is a bit too way off the mark I think. Think the bloating works through a different mechanism.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 11 2008, 5:56 PM

Any idea what that mechanism would be mika.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
February 11 2008, 6:54 PM

If normal anti-biotics a doctor would prescribe can upset the natural enzyemes in your stomach, or flora or whatever you want to call it, why don't you think herbs could do the same thing? But hey do what you like, it is already a proven fact on this board that when adding digestive enzyemes it helps to relieve the bloat and gas that herbs cause.

MIles
(no login)
February 12 2008, 12:19 AM

Actually, I've been taking acidophilous, digestive enzymes and HCL for digestion for a few months. They do definitely appear to help with digestion and feeling really full and heavy after meals, which is good, but, unfortunately, the bloating remains. I really don't know what is causing it. I wonder if it is some other kind of reaction to the herbs or to the hormones the herbs are influencing.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 12 2008, 2:00 PM

I agree miles. I took Digestive enzymes for a few months and they help with the bloated feeling but nothing for the swelling. Two different things altogether.

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 13 2008, 12:21 AM

ohhhkeeeee..
So no one knows if Vitex 'causes you to shrink your boobs if you bloat a lot? I mean I know there's a lot of people who are taking this on this forum..

hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
February 13 2008, 1:11 AM

This message has been edited by Hopeful88 on Feb 13, 2008 1:25 AM

Durga
(Login durga)
February 13 2008, 6:08 AM

I just read this regarding a reference to a specific herb, but I think the principles explained could pertain to any herb...

Bloating and gas is due to a bacterial breakdown of fibers in the herbs that are not digestable. It can take between one to three months for new bacteria to establish in the colon to do this job without creating gas. This occurence is a necessary change our bodies have to make in order to fully benefit from an herb.

This makes me think that maybe some dried herb fibers are harder to digest than others. I wonder if extracts would do the same, since they are more refined and primarily liquid. Anyway, maybe a clue...

Durga

Miles
(no login)
February 13 2008, 9:35 PM

Hi Durga,

It does make sense. i just wonder why digestive enzymes and acidophilous don't seem to be helping as much as they should, at least for me.

Jackie,

I think that there is no way to know if Vitex will shrink your breasts even if you have bloating. It will likely take away the beast swelling that is due to water retention, but, that is not really growth. It seems that some people have grown in it, some have shrunk and some have had no effect. From this board anyway, I didn't notice any pattern to the type of people using it, i.e., all people with bloating have shrunk, or all estrogen dominant that grew, etc. So, I really can't say if it would work or not.

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
February 13 2008, 10:56 PM

Oh Ohkay well thanks. I should be getting the pills today or tomorrow and I'll tell you guys how it goes after I can tell it took effect:]

LovelyAmanda
(Login LovelyAmanda)
March 1 2008, 9:24 PM

Jackie,

I was taking Vitex for several months and it did not shrink my breasts. I agree with Miles, water retention is not real growth. It's just what it sounds like, bloating within the breasts. I also notice that at different times during my monthly cycle my breasts are fuller, but then shrink back again.

In response to some of the bloating issues--I find that drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day along with tea or some sort of natural digestive aid nearly wipes out any extra water retention. It is normal to gain a pound or two after eating and drinking, but the extra weight is what you just consumed, not fat. It takes the body awhile to digest food etc. Exercising also helps speed up this process and can also help with the bloat.

Best,
Amanda

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 2 2008, 8:56 PM

Oh that makes sense!

How long did you take Vitex for and did you gain any permanent growth from it?

Sheep
(no login)
March 2 2008, 9:19 PM

Seems like Miles was the one off the mark on most of the points already given. Most NBE users usually know it is wise to take probotics or as you girls have referred to as enzemes for various reasons.

Miles
(no login)
March 5 2008, 3:48 AM

Actually probiotics and enzymes are two different things. Probiotics are things like acidophilous and enzymes can be made from fermented foods or can be non vegetarian and made from pancreas, etc. But, they do the same thing and help with digestion and do help for bloating for some, anyway.

LovelyAmanda
(Login LovelyAmanda)
March 7 2008, 3:11 AM

Hi Jackie,

To answer your question, I did not receive any growth, but for 2 important reasons. Firstly, Vitex is a slow-acting herb and it can take weeks to have a full affect on the body. I was on Vitex for a little over 2 months or so and did not continue it so I doubt I gave it enough time. Secondly, I was on an intense diet and workout program and any growth that I might have gained was probably prevented.

But I do want to mention that I had a lot of "growing" pains on Vitex and some lasted for awhile. It wasn't the normal pains that happened around my period because they came all the time so I know the herb was doing something. I also received some other benefits such as more balanced, improved moods.

Jackie
(Login classyfashh)
March 7 2008, 5:23 AM

Ohhhh. Well that's good to hear. So than maybe I have a chance.

To Moonkissed
February 20 2007 at 9:56 PM Anonymous (no login)
HI there -

I'm interested in your vitex programme - I wondered if you obtained your inch of growth with vitex alone - or whether you have been using massage, protein drink or other herbs as well?

Thanks for you time

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
Re: To Moonkissed
February 21 2007, 3:28 AM

Hey,

Yes, I believe that most of my growth may be attributed to vitex. The reason is that after I started taking it back in October, I stopped taking all other herbs, gelatin capsules, and pytoestrogen-rich foods because I suspected a hormonal imbalance, and I did not want the effects of the vitex to be counteracted by pytoestrogens. From then on to the present time, vitex is the only thing I have been taking. I only massage my smaller breast, because the larger one does not need massages as it keeps on growing on its own. Also, I apply a heating pad to the smaller breast for an hour each night. On occasion, I might drink a cup of fennel tea, but this is the extent of any other herbs I have taken in.

Vitex has been a good herb so far, but I am also researching another herb, because I know that I will need to break from it at least for a while to cleanse out the system.

Good luck with your routine!

rose
(no login)
February 21 2007, 11:04 AM

i have been on vitex for about 9 weeks now but i am also on saw palmetto and fenugreek which i take only one tablet twice a day and the vitex i take the reccommended dosage so far i have not seen much growth only fullness i also massage with wild yam do you think i am taking too much to stop the vitex from working???

any help is appreciated...thanks

gingerD
(Login gingerD)
Moonkissed
February 21 2007, 12:39 PM

Hi Moonkissed-Could you tell me since Vitex would you say the Pains/aches/tingles have increased or feel different from when you was on your herbs?
Iv only been on Vitex about 2 weeks, and i dont know if its me but i ache alot around the bust.
Thank you

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
February 21 2007, 12:44 PM

I have a Vitex question too :-) When you stopped your herbs, did your boobs kinda deflate for a while? The reason I ask is I haven't done herbs in about a week and a half and my girls are starting to look sorry now, and I don't know if this will pass or not, or if I should start herbs back up........

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
February 22 2007, 4:15 AM

Rose – My advice would be to cut out the vitex entirely and stick with fenugreek and saw palmetto, unless you have a hormonal imbalance. Unlike herbs such as fenugreek, red clover, hops, fennel, licorice, etc., vitex is not a pytoestrogenic herb. What vitex does is stimulates the hypothalamus and pituitary gland to increase the luteinizing hormone. The luteinizing hormone reacts by sensing what hormone is lacking (such estrogen or progesterone), secretes out the needed hormone, or sends out signals to the body to produce the needed hormone. In most cases (like mine), the hormone needed is progesterone. If your hormones are as they should be, than vitex will make little or no difference for you in terms of breast growth.

gingerD – When I was on other herbs, I did not experience any pains or tingles. Since I grew anyway, I just assumed this was the way my breasts expanded, without aches or pains. However, after dropping all herbs and using vitex, I experience brief shooting or throbbing pains in both breasts, typically more in my larger breast. Those pains started about three months after starting vitex, although as before, some minimal growth did occur prior to the pains starting. Now, I get them at least several times a week.

Henri – After I stopped taking the other herbs, my breasts did not deflate. They stayed the same size. They didn’t grow much, either, until after two months on the vitex, but I was fortunate not to lose any growth. I think one thing that helped was to keep on massaging while waiting for the vitex to work; that and trying to keep up a positive attitude about the wait, because vitex is a slow-working herb. Smile

rose
(no login)
confused!!!
February 22 2007, 11:00 AM

thanks for the advice but how do i know if i have hormone imbalance...my periods were irregular and i did get pms notas bad as some of the others have reported but was moody and teary eyed for a few days....since being on vitex my periods were regular one month butwas late again last period....past few days have been having aches and pains in both breasts cant report growth but feel somthing is happening if i cut out vitex completly do you suggest wonderup because fenugreek and saw palmetto doesnt seem like its enough to make me grow.....i am 34 and have 4 children who i only breast fed 2 months or so.....any advice is appreciated.....

thanks

rose
(no login)
February 22 2007, 11:19 AM

sorry i forgot to add i was on the pill for about 6 months but my periods went all funny i was very irregular anyway so vitex is sopposed to help for that ....oh i am so confused now this is starting to feel like a never ending battle........

thanks......

Moonkissed
(Login Moonkissed)
February 23 2007, 5:25 AM

Determining if you have a hormonal imbalance is not always easy. The best way is to go to a doctor and get a test to see if you have the proper levels of hormone. Another option is to go to some of these sites below, take the tests, and see if you fit any of the profiles. If you believe that you may have a hormonal imbalance, then cut out the saw palmetto and fenugreek and only take the vitex if you have too much estrogen. By taking only the vitex, your hormonal levels will gradually level out to their expected proportions; than, you can discard the vitex and begin the saw palmetto and fenugreek again. If you feel your hormones are generally doing okay, then continue on the saw palmetto and fenugreek, and any other pytoestrogens herbs you like.

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/resource_...etest.html
http://www.hormoneprofiles.com/progesteronetest.htm
http://www.altmednetwork.net/htest/test.html

Angus Cactus to get rid of bloating?
February 4 2007 at 10:29 PM Glamma (Login Glamma)
If my stomach is bloated due to excess estrogen how long will it take for Angus Cactus to balance my hormones and get rid of the bloating? I've been on it for two months now and haven't taken any herbs for 7 months!

hs29
(Login HS29)
Re: Angus Cactus to get rid of bloating?
February 5 2007, 1:42 AM

not sure the vitex will take care of bloating issues. I take alfalfa. I take 2 pills 2x a day. IN the summer 3-4x per day. It really helps w/ swelling/bloating, especially in the summertime. I read somewhere on here someone was taking something else for bloat- don't remember what it was and I cannot find it now. (not the lemonade thing- it was a specific herb)
I also took alfafa when I was pregnant this last time and it really helped A LOT w/ the swelling towards the end of my pregnancy.

I have also been on vitex for almost 3 months myself now.

Fennel Fairy
(Login fennelfairy)
February 5 2007, 6:39 AM

Alfalfa... In what form? Sprouts or seeds or how?

I really need something like this right now *balloon* :-)

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 5 2007, 12:59 PM

I thought vitex would get rid of my bloating because it increases progrestrone. I think I have to much estrogen because my stomach is bloated and hard and this is a sign of estrogen dominance. Im just not sure how long i'll have to take vitex for until my body makes enough progrestrone to balance out the estrogen. Any idea?

cheryl
(Login cookie1000)
February 5 2007, 1:26 PM

i take dandelion root along with vitex, it helps get rid of water retention and bloating

HS29
(Login HS29)
February 5 2007, 4:21 PM

Hey Fennelfairy-
I take it in tablet form. Not sprouts or seeds- although I do love those. You can get some cheap at wal-mart- but I recently got these and I think this is working way better.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&productId=12363&R=7634

Thanks Cheryl- your's was the post I was looking for and couldn't find it.
Dandelion root. I might try that when the alfalfa is all gone.

Gamma- sorry can't help you w/ your question. Are you sure your bloating is due to an estrogen excess?

LuvGrl
(Login luvgrl)
Bloating
February 5 2007, 4:40 PM

As of this weekend, I have had TERRIBLE bloating. I eat anything, and I swell up like a balloon. My period is due anytime so i 'm hoping it will go away after my period is done. I'm taking Nature Day,and i've been on it for a couple weeks now. Is there anything I can take, eat or do to make the bloating go away?! I feel sick all the time!

Alcest
(Login Alcest)
February 5 2007, 4:47 PM

LuvGirl- Most of us cease becoming bloated a month or two into our programs. If you are constantly still bloated after a month or so, then I would be worried. But for now I would just drink Ginger tea, plenty of water, and perhaps take fennel, since i believe that helps minor bloating. Good luck.

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 5 2007, 4:48 PM

HS29, if its not estrogen excess than what could it be? Im kind of worried now

Glamma
(Login Glamma)
February 5 2007, 4:56 PM

Alcest, i've been bloated for 7 months and I only took the herbs 10 days but I bloated as soon as I took the herbs. What could be the cause, you don't think the herbs? I guess i'll have to go to the doc, I havent been yet because I thought it was excess estrogen

LuvGrl
(Login luvgrl)
Bloating
February 5 2007, 5:05 PM

Alcest... Thanks so much! That really helps. Smile

HS29
(Login HS29)
February 5 2007, 9:47 PM

Glamma-
I would go see a doctor.

littlemadison
(Login littlemadison)
February 5 2007, 9:54 PM

Alcest - so you are saying that it is normal to be bloated through the first couple months of the program, then it will go away? Embarassing question: what about being gassy, does that go along with the bloating or is that a side effect of one of the herbs? I was thinking it might just be my crohn's....

x madison

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon