Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Can someone pls tell me what kind of magnets I need?

Can someone pls tell me what kind of magnets I need? *puppy eyes*
December 7 2007 at 7:29 AM Moon (Login -Moon-)
I've skimmed throguh the NBA (magnets) users topic but I'm still not exactly clear ( :I I know I should make better research myself but I'm so ridiculously busy these days :I). I understand I need 'strong' ones, but what must the magnets be made off and how does that test to see if they are right work? What exactly do I need? I'm looking at a magnets company website and they have all these weird parameters and characteristics describing the magnets that I have no idea what they mean.
Thanks a bunch!

kieyah
(Login kieyah)
Re: Can someone pls tell me what kind of magnets I need? *puppy eyes*
December 7 2007, 1:49 PM

They are neodymium magnets. Made of neodymium, iron, and boron. This is the ones I bought: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DA2 these are several listed on NBA ebook, I think these are the strongest. To check polarities this is what i did, I took a stack of two magnets and placed a thread in between them, and hold them by the string, then let them spin until they stop. the side facing north is positive side.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
December 7 2007, 6:17 PM

I bought the same as Kieyah - the actual magnets are really really cheap, it's the international shipping that you pay for so I ordered the pack of 25. DA2 are the strongest - you can tell this by the pull force, however when I enquired to a UK site about what would be equivalent they said it wasn't possible to make such a small magnet so powerful so not sure who knows best. I just thought if that exact brand were having an effect for Kieyah I may as well try the same. I haven't noticed any negative effects on mobile phone / visa card / computer etc and haven't ended up covered in paper clips....however I did lean forwards once and magneted my boob to the metal edge of a table! (Don't think it was obvious to other people as I yanked it free!!)

No Name Sheep
(Login KittyCharlette)
December 8 2007, 5:23 AM

lol that is too funny Smile

(.Y.)

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 8 2007, 12:11 PM

Lol Louise :p

I actually have two magnets which 'seem' quite strong to me, their iron tho I think, but I'll do that string test. Is there a test as to how strong a magnet is? Maybe how fast it aligns in that string test?
I remember an experiment from physics lessons in HS that might enable this tho - you place the magnet into a 'sand' made out of small iron spikes, and the spikes place themselves into the shape of the magnetic lines, and you can then judge the strenght of the magnetic field from how far reaching this effect is.

Anyway thanks both of you! I'll see what magnets I'm able to find...

This message has been edited by -Moon- on Dec 8, 2007 12:11 PM

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 8 2007, 11:01 PM

Need some more help, does anyone know what 'axial pressed', 'isostatically pressed', 'transverse pressed' means, reffering to magnets??

I've found a company in my country that sells Neodymium Iron Boron magnets, but there are more subtypes in this group and I don't know what's the difference between tham and which one to chose. Could please someone look at this link and see if they have an idea?? http://www.magneti.si/products/remag/ndf...?id=remag3

Thanks!!

kieyah
(Login kieyah)
December 8 2007, 11:28 PM

this is what I found on that:

Direction of magnetization
Refers to the "easy axis" or the axis of choice for the direction of alignment. Most rings are aligned axially so the direction of magnetization is through the axis (or thickness). Other possibilities for rings would include "across the diameter" and "radial".

Iso/axial press
Refers to the method of alignment that is used during the pressing operation. In isostatic pressing, the pressure is applied uniformly in all directions. In axial pressing, pressure is applied parallel to the direction of alignment. Most rings are axially pressed.

source:http://www.electronenergy.com/resources/glossary_of_terms.htm

so i think that means you'd want axially pressed so that the polarities would be on the sides, not the rounded edges.

This message has been edited by kieyah on Dec 8, 2007 11:30 PM

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
December 9 2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks so much Kieyah! I also looked at the magnet you use and there's one thing I don't get tho - it's almost unbelievably strong!! For the small dimentions it has (about the size of a coin right?), the pull force it's supposed to have (26.87 lbs) is almost unrealistic!! Similar magnets with the same characteristic I have been able to find have about 4 times less...

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon