Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Tagament androgen blocker

androgen blocker
August 10 2009 at 2:05 AM mommcafee (Login mommcafee)
Ok, if Im sharing the wrong kind of info, Im sorry, let me know and I wont do it anymore.

This is supposed to be NBE, so I dont know how you feel about this,but, did you know over the counter Tagament is the only H2 blocker that blocks androgen (its a side effect, they werent trying to).

The recommended dosage is 200mg at one time for stomach reasons. To get the ant-androgen effect, you have to increase to 400-800mg in one dose. 800mg twice a day is the highest dose I have seen recommended. Im gonna add it somehow, im just sharing. I am not advising anyone.

I read this a long time ago and forgot about it, it just suddenly decided to smack my memory for some reason. If I can find the info again, I will supply the info, but you can just try looking up Tagamet side effects and uses.

mommcafee
(Login mommcafee)
Re: androgen blocker
August 10 2009, 2:55 AM

http://www.medicinenet.com/cimetidine/article.htm
SIDE EFFECTS: Side effects due to cimetidine are rare and generally reversible once the medication is stopped. Minor side effects include constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, headache, insomnia, muscle pain, nausea, and vomiting. Major side effects include confusion and hallucinations (usually in elderly or critically ill patients); enlargement of the breasts; impotence (usually seen in patients on high doses for prolonged periods); decreased white blood cell counts. Other side effects include irregular heartbeat, impotence, rash, visual changes, allergic reactions, and hepatitis.

http://www.medicinenet.com/cimetidine-oral/article.htm
OTHER USES: This medication may also be used treat skin rashes caused by allergic conditions.

http://organizedwisdom.com/Tagamet_and_Warts
Tagamet and WartsThis WisdomCard features top online resources on this topic
Wartsare generally skin growths caused by the HPV that can appear anywhere in the body.

There's tons of info, I just typed tagamet uses and side effects. Just like everything, different sites have different info.

mommcafee
(Login mommcafee)
wahaika/waxingmoon/anyone
August 12 2009, 1:02 PM

Ok no one has responded anything to this.

Can anyone think of any reason this might be a bad idea?

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
August 12 2009, 1:41 PM

Hi Mommcafee,

The reasons to avoid this I can think of are listed in the side effects:

"Minor side effects include constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, headache, insomnia, muscle pain, nausea, and vomiting. Major side effects include confusion and hallucinations (usually in elderly or critically ill patients); enlargement of the breasts; impotence (usually seen in patients on high doses for prolonged periods); decreased white blood cell counts. Other side effects include irregular heartbeat, impotence, rash, visual changes, allergic reactions, and hepatitis"

In addition to those reasons, the drug lowers the acidity of the stomach. This can impair digestion of proteins, interfere with the body's production of vitamin B12 and interfere with absorption of calcium.

The gynecomastia reported was in only about 4% of cases. Thus is would seem that the androgen lowering effect might be mild.

Considering the undesirable side effect listed that would be risked to get a single effect that might be mild I would say this is not as appealing as saw palmetto.

Saw palmetto side effect are listed as:
* Dizziness
* Headaches
* Nausea and vomiting
* Constipation or diarrhea
* Decreased sex drive
* Impotence (also known as erectile dysfunction, or ED)
* Breast tenderness
* Gas
* Loss of appetite.

And of course we can add to this weight gain.

By the way - nothing wrong with bringing this up. Indeed the drug does have the effect you describe. My opinion is that it has too many other undesirable side effects and saw palmetto seems to have a greater effect on lowering testosterone.

However, if you had a gastric ulcer or were producing too much stomach acid then by all means use the Tagamet because you would get relief from the stomach problems plus get a mild androgen lowering effect to boot.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

mommcafee
(Login mommcafee)
August 12 2009, 2:51 PM

Thank you for another opinion waxingmoon,

Think i will keep this in my routine for a while since i do have a tendacy toward stomach irritations(indigestion/heartburn/whatever), but Ill keep an eye out for undesireable side effects!

Just wanted to pick some else's brain in case I was missing anything. Thank you! =)

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
August 13 2009, 4:46 AM

I think that this is a bad idea.

Why are you taking Tagamet?

mommcafee
(Login mommcafee)
August 13 2009, 2:55 PM

wahaika,

I do tend to have stomach upsets, heartburn/indigestion, plus the tagamet has a side effect of androgen blocking. Sorta 2 benefits. What is it that makes you think its a bad idea? Opinions/thoughts are appreciated. =)

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
August 14 2009, 3:54 PM

Many reasons. One of the first is that blocking androgens is not a good thing to do unless you have something like PCOS or obviously have a problem with androgens. This is a separate subject from NBE, but one that may need to be addressed before doing NBE. The better thing to so is to try to facilitate the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. If you are successfully blocking testosterone, there will be a shortage of estrogen and that leads to other problems including bringing on PCOS or something like it upon yourself artificially.

Another reason is that Tagamet is not natural. It is unused and untested at any level for the side effect usage that you describe. Stomach acids are needed to break down the herbs. Tagamet is for a temporary condition of stopping the production of stomach acid while your doctor waits for something else like stabilization or healing to occur. Then the Tagamet is discontinued.

Using a drug such as Tagamet sets a dangerous precedent. While you may know what you are doing with it and may have studied it out, others will do it because you did and for no other reason. This happens routinely with Black Cohosh, Vitex, and natural progesterone cream.

Vitex is a *drug* that is controlled by the FDA (in the U.S. anyway) and was at one time available by prescription only. This only fans the flames of those sick and deranged individuals who think that natural things (like herbs, vitamins, etc.) need to be regulated. Using something like Tagamet, especially for a side effect, only adds to the false and foolish notion that regulation is needed. So we see behind their reasoning that it is individuals that these idiots and the legislators willing to listen really want to regulate, not vitamins.

So now we come down to another queston. Why take Tagamet? Do you have a stomach condition that requires it or would you like to address the problem naturally before the continual usage of Tagamet causes some other problem?

Wahaika

mommcafee
(Login mommcafee)
August 14 2009, 4:18 PM

Okie, I get the point of setting a bad example for those who would otherwise erroneously misuse any substance, however, as for the arguement of wanting to control subtances such as herbs/vitamins, most people on here are exceeding recommended dosages set by the manufacturers and some are being used for reasons other than the labeled suggested usage. Therefore, this entire forum could be used as an arguement for those wanting sticter regulation of any natural supplements.

Calm down, and thanks for the input. =)

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
August 14 2009, 8:27 PM

I am calm. (teeth clenched Tongue )

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
August 15 2009, 1:00 AM

This sounds like a terrilbe substance. And I totally encourage ladies NOT to try it, even for the shortest of time.. Most of the side effects are horrible but the one that disturbed me the most is that it effects your white blood cell count. That is serious S**T. And what would be the disasterous side effects of that???? End up with leukemia or something, I am surprised you can just buy it over the counter! There are other products alot safer.

Tagamet as an anti-androgen?
May 4 2009 at 7:22 AM Cari (Login Iwillgrow)
Hi all,
I was researching anti androgens on the net and came across this on a hair loss site:

Cimetidine treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia in Women

Cimetidine is sold under the brand name Tagamet. It is commonly used to reduce secretion of acid in the stomach and to treat stomach and duodenal ulcers, inflammation of the oesophagus and other digestive disorders. However also has a anti androgenic effect. Cimetidine blocks the binding of dihydrotestosterone to its receptor. Cimetidine has been used to treat hirsuitism in women (excess facial hair) and studies in woman with androgenetic alopecia have yielded promising results. Men however should not use Cimetidine to treat hair loss because of its feminizing effects.

and the link to the web site:
http://www.natural-hair.com/types_androgenetic.html

I was researching for a more natural approach, ie saw palmetto and spearmint and do realize this forum is "Natural" breast enhancement. But thought that it might be useful to know if any of the ladies here are taking it for heartburn as it is very commonly used and an over the counter medication. I know I was like "wow, who knew" when I read that and thought that I would post it here.

Regards,
Cari

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: Tagamet as an anti-androgen?
May 5 2009, 11:22 AM

I'm taking another H2 antagonist for gastric acid. Damn, why not this one?! Lol. But if this substance is used for its anti-androgenic or other effects it would still cause diminished acid secretion and in people who produce a normal ammount that wouldn't be good either...

Thanks for sharing the info.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon