Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Progesterone, vitex, and acne

(05-09-2015, 01:27 AM)Lotus Wrote:  I think the acne is from the effects of increased LH (lutenzing hormone), and possibly the fatty acids in Vitex (linoleic acid) which is a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid. Omega 6 can cause inflammation, aka ACNE. You'll need to add an anti-inflammatory (omega 3). Chia seeds are a good source of omega 3's. Don't use fish oil, (increases free testosterone). I wouldn't advise flax seed either. Imo krill oil for omega 3, but it's expensive. Chia seeds are about $10.00 for 12oz. Vitex is ok at 200 to 500mg, below 200 might increase prolactin. One study showed that Vitex compares to fluoxetine (generic Prozac).

Hey, no big deal. You live you learn. (We've all been through this). I should've told u all this yesterday, sorry. Like I said, I didn't want to hijack your thread. Rolleyes

Oh no. I do take flax for omega 3, and sometimes chia. Chia are more expensive...darn. I'm vegan, so I don't do fish oils anymore, anyway. I didn't know vitex could have that much omega 6 to effect things...even though it's a ground/powder form rather than oil/extract based? I'm familiar with omegas and ratios, my 6 stays low on my current diet, since I don't go crazy with nuts, rarely any processed foods, and I don't use oils except for the occasional coconut. I think the hormone is mostly to blame, because of the type and location of the breakouts being the same as on the IUD.

(05-09-2015, 01:27 AM)Lotus Wrote:  I think the acne is from the effects of increased LH (lutenzing hormone), and possibly the fatty acids in Vitex (linoleic acid) which is a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid. Omega 6 can cause inflammation, aka ACNE. You'll need to add an anti-inflammatory (omega 3). Chia seeds are a good source of omega 3's. Don't use fish oil, (increases free testosterone). I wouldn't advise flax seed either. Imo krill oil for omega 3, but it's expensive. Chia seeds are about $10.00 for 12oz. Vitex is ok at 200 to 500mg, below 200 might increase prolactin. One study showed that Vitex compares to fluoxetine (generic Prozac).

Hey, no big deal. You live you learn. (We've all been through this). I should've told u all this yesterday, sorry. Like I said, I didn't want to hijack your thread. :rolleyes:

So if you go under 200, I heard something like 80mgs is the dosage that had girls grow likely BECAUSE it increases prolactin right? But do you think vitex still has hormone balancing effects at that dosage or does it only raise prolactin and render it useless? Txs L

(05-09-2015, 02:06 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  

Hey, no big deal. You live you learn. (We've all been through this). I should've told u all this yesterday, sorry. Like I said, I didn't want to hijack your thread. Rolleyes

So if you go under 200, I heard something like 80mgs is the dosage that had girls grow likely BECAUSE it increases prolactin right? But do you think vitex still has hormone balancing effects at that dosage or does it only raise prolactin and render it useless? Txs L

The info (analysis) on Vitex is vast, interpreting all that info isn't for the faint of heart (lol) j/k......actually, it's no joke and is quite impressive.

In this study 20 patients out of 43 patients reported 37 adverse events (AE) on 20 mg dose

Efficacy of Vitex agnus castus L. extract Ze 440 in patients with pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS).
In conclusion, patients with PMS can be treated successfully with Vitex agnus-castus extract Ze 440, as indicated by clear improvement in the main effect parameter during treatment and the gradual return after cessation of treatment. The main response to treatment seems related to symptomatic relief rather than to the duration of the syndrome.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11129515

40mg dose was well tolerated in this study of 207 participants that decreased from 26.17+/-4.79 to 9.92+/-9.01 for the treatment group,

treatment for premenstrual syndrome with Vitex agnus castus: A prospective, randomized, multi-center placebo controlled study in China.
CONCLUSION:
Vitex agnus castus (VAC BNO 1095 corresponding to 40mg herbal drug) is a safe, well tolerated and effective drug of the treatment for Chinese women with the moderate to severe PMS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?filters=&orig_db=PubMed&cmd=Search&term=63%2A%5Bvolume%5D%20AND%2099%5Bpage%5D%20AND%202009%5Bpdat%5D%20AND%20He%20Z%5Bauth%5D

This resouce (the best I've seen on VITEX) has 13 separate trail analysis: Big Grin

Vitex agnus-castus Extracts for Female Reproductive Disorders: A Systematic Review of Clinical Trials
https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/...32-1327831

Finally:

At low dose (120mg per day) of chasteberry, prolactin production is stimulated, while at higher dose (240-480mg per day) prolactin production is decreased.
http://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/vit...berry.html

So.... Bottom line, it looks like it (vitex) could be partially beneficial as low as 20mg, but has some adverse effects. 40 mg reacts better than the 20mg dose, imo 200 mg is probably where I'd be, but......that's just my opinion (for what it's worth).

By the way seraphic, I think this thread belongs in the "general discussion section" (let me know please, I'll take care of it).

(05-09-2015, 05:16 AM)Lotus Wrote:  By the way seraphic, I think this thread belongs in the "general discussion section" (let me know please, I'll take care of it).

Sure! I wasn't entirely sure out of the two where to put this. Smile

Just read your other post. I think I may cut my dose in half not to overwhelm my body. Would it be bad emptying capsules and taking it with a smoothie or something, so that I could reduce mine from 440 to 220? If not...back to the store I go. Rolleyes

(05-09-2015, 05:55 AM)seraphic Wrote:  
(05-09-2015, 05:16 AM)Lotus Wrote:  By the way seraphic, I think this thread belongs in the "general discussion section" (let me know please, I'll take care of it).

Just read your other post. I think I may cut my dose in half not to overwhelm my body. Would it be bad emptying capsules and taking it with a smoothie or something, so that I could reduce mine from 440 to 220? If not...back to the store I go. Rolleyes

A smoothie is a good idea. I was gonna suggest taking it every other day?. Ok, the thread moved to the general section.

(05-09-2015, 05:59 AM)Lotus Wrote:  

A smoothie is a good idea. I was gonna suggest taking it every other day?. Ok, the thread moved to the general section.

That may work but if my strong reaction was to taking too much at once, then I better cut in half for starters. Thank you!! Smile

Took the full dose again today. If I get anymore breakouts, I'll know why. Hormonal acne sucks. Even the smaller ones hurt. Wth.

Doing some hormone balancing binaural beats. More wishful thinking couldn't hurt.

(05-09-2015, 06:10 AM)seraphic Wrote:  
(05-09-2015, 05:59 AM)Lotus Wrote:  

That may work but if my strong reaction was to taking too much at once, then I better cut in half for starters. Thank you!! Smile

Took the full dose again today. If I get anymore breakouts, I'll know why. Hormonal acne sucks. Even the smaller ones hurt. Wth.

Doing some hormone balancing binaural beats. More wishful thinking couldn't hurt.

Well, if it's any consolation getting older lessens the acne (for some, repeat some lol). Rolleyes Yes, positive thinking is a must, (keep stress low for the benefit of boobie growth). Wink (not boogie) Rolleyes

Personally, deadmau5, Sp33fy M@n (shattered realm) Moderat (a new error) or house, trance, whatever works for me. Tongue

Oh, and this one: BassNectar (time stretch).......definitely a progesterone booster. Wink

(05-09-2015, 06:22 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Well, if it's any consolation getting older lessens the acne (for some, repeat some lol). Rolleyes Yes, positive thinking is a must, (keep stress low for the benefit of boobie growth). Wink (not boogie) Rolleyes

Personally, deadmau5, Sp33fy M@n (shattered realm) Moderat (a new error) or house, trance, whatever works for me. Tongue

Oh, and this one: BassNectar (time stretch).......definitely a progesterone booster. Wink

So I've heard. I would like to enjoy the rest of my youth without acne, though. Thanks, Fates, for making me part of the 5% of adult female acne sufferers. Rolleyes

I'll look up those! Wink

You know, there's plenty of other things besides the standard staples (herbs) for NBE.

Thermogenesis (builds,[creates] brown adipose tissue).
HIIT (high intensity interval training)
Intermittent Fasting

Combine 2&3 increases and HGH (human growth hormone and IGF-1) some 2000%. And you can't grow breasts without growth hormone........period. I don't care what herb/pharma you throw, sprinkle, or ingest, it just won't happen without GH.

At 26 you'd still have plenty of GH, (falls off dramatically after 25-26).

Stimulating lipid synthesis increases the volume of adipocytes (fatty tissues found in breasts)

Sheesh, I did it again. Rolleyes

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon