Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Would maca increase DHT while taking androgen suppressors?

I am currently taking 900mg SP and 1500mg Maca daily. I am planning to switch to spearmint or combine SP and spearmint (400mg spearmint with 450mg SP daily). I was wondering with all this androgen suppression if maca would increase DHT levels. I have minor hirsutism that has mildly become better after taking SP but I do not want to take too much SP because of its estrogen suppressing effects. My goal is to have less fat distribute to my waist and more to my hips and butt. I don't know if I am going down the right route, but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

So to summarize:

1. Would maca increase DHT levels while taking androgen suppressors?
2. Since SP decreases estrogen, is it better to switch to spearmint daily fully? (800mg spearmint per day) or combine the two (400mg spearmint with 450mg SP daily)?
3. Does this plan seem effective in reaching my goal?

I am relatively new to this compared to the veterans here, but help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you girls so much!

(16-06-2015, 07:02 PM)lhuang1995 Wrote:  I am currently taking 900mg SP and 1500mg Maca daily. I am planning to switch to spearmint or combine SP and spearmint (400mg spearmint with 450mg SP daily). I was wondering with all this androgen suppression if maca would increase DHT levels. I have minor hirsutism that has mildly become better after taking SP but I do not want to take too much SP because of its estrogen suppressing effects. My goal is to have less fat distribute to my waist and more to my hips and butt. I don't know if I am going down the right route, but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

So to summarize:

2. Since SP decreases estrogen, is it better to switch to spearmint daily fully? (800mg spearmint per day) or combine the two (400mg spearmint with 450mg SP daily)?

I am relatively new to this compared to the veterans here, but help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you girls so much!

This is just speculation after some research I did, because after I saw your question, I was curious myself.

Overall, I don't think maca would hurt you. I have a lot of symptoms of high androgens and I felt that maca was good for me.

The only way that maca would increase DHT is by increasing your testosterone levels; I don't know for sure if it would do this, but it's a possibility. That doesn't necessarily mean an increase in DHT if you're taking the right things. DHT blockers (like spearmint and SP) would still be effective, I think. I personally take reishi and spearmint tea, so I can't really make any recommendations there.

You could also introduce an aromatase to convert some of that extra T to estrogen. I've heard Evening Primrose (what I take) can increase aromatase and White Peony is a very strong aromatase/anti-androgen.

If you have low progesterone, maca should also help raise that. And progesterone helps block DHT as well.

Best of luck! Smile I hope you get some good results.

(24-06-2015, 09:33 PM)Aurielle Wrote:  
(16-06-2015, 07:02 PM)lhuang1995 Wrote:  I am currently taking 900mg SP and 1500mg Maca daily. I am planning to switch to spearmint or combine SP and spearmint (400mg spearmint with 450mg SP daily). I was wondering with all this androgen suppression if maca would increase DHT levels. I have minor hirsutism that has mildly become better after taking SP but I do not want to take too much SP because of its estrogen suppressing effects. My goal is to have less fat distribute to my waist and more to my hips and butt. I don't know if I am going down the right route, but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

So to summarize:

This is just speculation after some research I did, because after I saw your question, I was curious myself.

Overall, I don't think maca would hurt you. I have a lot of symptoms of high androgens and I felt that maca was good for me.

The only way that maca would increase DHT is by increasing your testosterone levels; I don't know for sure if it would do this, but it's a possibility. That doesn't necessarily mean an increase in DHT if you're taking the right things. DHT blockers (like spearmint and SP) would still be effective, I think. I personally take reishi and spearmint tea, so I can't really make any recommendations there.

You could also introduce an aromatase to convert some of that extra T to estrogen. I've heard Evening Primrose (what I take) can increase aromatase and White Peony is a very strong aromatase/anti-androgen.

If you have low progesterone, maca should also help raise that. And progesterone helps block DHT as well.

Best of luck! Smile I hope you get some good results.

Thank you for your reply! Very helpful Smile I might start to take EP after a bit more research, I don't know if I will try WP yet since it is strong. How is your plan of EP, Spearmint, and Reishi going for you?

(29-06-2015, 05:25 PM)lhuang1995 Wrote:  Thank you for your reply! Very helpful Smile I might start to take EP after a bit more research, I don't know if I will try WP yet since it is strong. How is your plan of EP, Spearmint, and Reishi going for you?

I'd say it's working pretty well! I think I need to find an effective way (vitex or progesterone cream) to raise progesterone for significant growth, but I think lowering my DHT is definitely helping. If nothing else, I'll keep doing it so my acne is mostly gone, because it's working perfectly for that. I take reishi twice a day and follow it up immediately with evening primrose. And I usually have 1 cup of spearmint tea at night. I also forgot to mention I take coconut oil, both topically for massage and internally. It contains lauric acid, which blocks DHT. Fantastic moisturizer and very light; doesn't make my chest break out like flaxseed oil did.

One thing I've noticed with the evening primrose is that I might feel a little smaller after taking it because GLA is anti-inflammatory, but that definitely doesn't mean I'm losing anything in the bigger picture. With my androgens limited and my progesterone boosted, I can get up to "36 instead of my original "34, which is super encouraging. If you take EP, also try to boost your Omega-3s to balance it. They're good fats for growth support anyway.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon