Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

A dangerous combination

Fenugreek lowers blood sugar levels

Goats rue also lowers blood sugars.

Combine the two and you have a prescription cocktail dressed in disguise to cause dangerous low blood sugar levels known as Hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia (also spelled hypoglycaemia or hypoglycæmia, not to be confused with hyperglycemia) is a medical emergency that involves an abnormally diminished content of glucose in the blood.[1] The term literally means "low blood sugar" (Gr. ὑπογλυκαιμία, from hypo-, glykys, haima). It can produce a variety of symptoms and effects but the principal problems arise from an inadequate supply of glucose to the brain, resulting in impairment of function (neuroglycopenia). Effects can range from mild dysphoria to more serious issues such as seizures, unconsciousness, and (rarely) permanent brain damage or death.[2][3]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia

Goats rue (interactions)
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-160-GOAT'S%20RUE.aspx?activeIngredientId=160&activeIngredientName=GOAT'S%20RUE

Fenugreek (interactions)
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-733-FENUGREEK.aspx?activeIngredientId=733&activeIngredientName=FENUGREEK&source=2

If you have any doubt, ELLACRAIG ended up in the hospital after fainting from using this combination, bruised ribs, a gash in her chin ensued resulting in stitches. The situation could have been much worse had she not been at home when this happened, very scary indeed.

A cautionary tale for sure, herbs do carry risks. As with anything always check with your primary care physician. And a general rule do not exceed the recommended dosage. The higher (or more) the better theory for supplements is completely false.

Thanks L.
This happened previously a few months back when I tried a combo of fenugreek/GR however I only suffered dizzy spells which ultimately led me to quitting. I was told to "have a piece of fruit or sugary snack" to offset this side effect however it didn't work Sad

It would pay to note a few days after the accident I decided to try goats rue on its own without the fenugreek and subsequently I kept waking up in the middle of the night gasping for breath (sucker for punishment huh) but as soon as I stopped the GR the episodes stopped.

So now I won't touch Goats rue again and urge anyone with a suspected heart Condition even if it's semmingly benign like myself plz proceed with caution using fenugreek and goats rue.

(14-03-2015, 09:22 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Thanks L.
This happened previously a few months back when I tried a combo of fenugreek/GR however I only suffered dizzy spells which ultimately led me to quitting. I was told to "have a piece of fruit or sugary snack" to offset this side effect however it didn't work Sad

It would pay to note a few days after the accident I decided to try goats rue on its own without the fenugreek and subsequently I kept waking up in the middle of the night gasping for breath (sucker for punishment huh) but as soon as I stopped the GR the episodes stopped.

So now I won't touch Goats rue again and urge anyone with a suspected heart Condition even if it's semmingly benign like myself plz proceed with caution using fenugreek and goats rue.

Hi Ella, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you were able to protect your well being and change your protocol.

If I may ask, what were the specifics of your goat's rue intake? How many mg per day, what frequency and what method? (Tea, tincture or capsule?)

Thank you so much, and again I'm so glad you're all right!

Xo, Soli

(14-03-2015, 06:34 PM)Soledad46 Wrote:  
(14-03-2015, 09:22 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Thanks L.

Hi Ella, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you were able to protect your well being and change your protocol.

If I may ask, what were the specifics of your goat's rue intake? How many mg per day, what frequency and what method? (Tea, tincture or capsule?)

Thank you so much, and again I'm so glad you're all right!

Xo, Soli

Hi Soli. Thank you, you are very sweet.

Ok well I was taking 'motherlove goat's rue' - the dosage is 333mg per capsule and they encourage you to take 3 capsules per day. I was only taking 1-2 along with x2 fenugreek dried seed from natures day which came out to 1.2grams which is very little FG really.
I can tolerate fenugreek fine on its own but the two combined DodgySad

I've never really taken a "full" cleansing break which I should have as I think all these herbs build up in our systems, so where as I tolerated herbs really well IN THE BEGINNING.. over a year ago, now its a whole other story, its like even the mild ones toy with my system. So I think everyone should take regular detox breaks for all this to work and not hurt us.

Glad you are ok hun. Smile Hope this won't happen again with any other herbs.

(14-03-2015, 07:05 PM)peggy Wrote:  Glad you are ok hun. Smile Hope this won't happen again with any other herbs.

Same here Smile

ohh! Ella in the diabetics' supplies section in grocery stores you can buy glucose tabs those would be great to take first thing when you wake up, or some fruit for breaky

(15-03-2015, 01:43 AM)Bambii Wrote:  ohh! Ella in the diabetics' supplies section in grocery stores you can buy glucose tabs those would be great to take first thing when you wake up, or some fruit for breaky

Thanks bambi. I've had my blood glucose etc checked a few times and it's always normal. Not saying conventional tests are always 100% relative to the individual but I don't "think" I'm diabetic cause had multiple urine tests too

(15-03-2015, 02:35 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  
(15-03-2015, 01:43 AM)Bambii Wrote:  ohh! Ella in the diabetics' supplies section in grocery stores you can buy glucose tabs those would be great to take first thing when you wake up, or some fruit for breaky

Thanks bambi. I've had my blood glucose etc checked a few times and it's always normal. Not saying conventional tests are always 100% relative to the individual but I don't "think" I'm diabetic cause had multiple urine tests too

I don't think you're diabetic either but if your blood sugar is dropping, the glucose would re-raise it and glucose is a sugar form that your body & brain can use instantly without any conversions so it may rid your dizyness. I'm just kinda deducing this from what Lotus had posted about the main problems coming from inadequate glucose for the brain's needs

(15-03-2015, 03:48 AM)Bambii Wrote:  
(15-03-2015, 02:35 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  

I don't think you're diabetic either but if your blood sugar is dropping, the glucose would re-raise it and glucose is a sugar form that your body & brain can use instantly without any conversions so it may rid your dizyness. I'm just kinda deducing this from what Lotus had posted about the main problems coming from inadequate glucose for the brain's needs

Ok cool thanks for that. I will grab a pack to carry around just in case.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon