Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

weird bra sizing with a Lepel bra

I recently ordered (from an online bra store) the Lepel Iris Plunge bra in size 30B (pictured at the top of the photo, the purple bra). The other bras shown are from different brands (in order from top to bottom, after the Lepel bra):
Wacoal, size 30C
Calvin Klein, 30C
Change of Scandinavia, 30B (i.e. same size as the Lepel bra)

As you can see in the photo, the Lepel bra is a lot smaller in band size than all of the others.. it is tiny! The others vary (if at all) by up to an inch only. The Lepel bra measures 3 to 3.5 inches(!) shorter than the other size 30 band bras when laid flat and unclasped like this. This is a huge difference! It does not fit like a size 30 and fits perhaps 2 band sizes smaller.

Has anyone ever had this problem with Lepel bras? Am I crazy or is this a mistake by the company? I tried to email the place I ordered it from but they said a bunch of nonsense that tells me the customer service rep who replied does not understand bra sizing/fitting (the very bottom bra in the photo is a 30B bra too, yet notice how the band is even slightly longer than the 30C bras!).. very frustrating as the band size is not related to the cup size in the way that they mention:

"Thank you for your photos. The bra that is smaller is a smaller cup size therefore, the band will be smaller as there is less material in the cup sections to go around. Also, every bra has a tolerance for measurements that they have to be within and it is certain measurement scale rather than an exact measurement for each bra. It may be that this is smaller first because it is a smaller cup size and secondly it is at the lower tolerance of measurements. A poor fit does not make a bra faulty. We always advise that different styles (even within the same brand) can sometimes come up differently and to treat each bra's fit on an individual basis."

They will refund it, but my issue is that I have to pay for return shipping to send it back, even though the bra is faulty! So basically, I will lose out on $10-20 to ship it back (overseas). Ridiculous!!

It's a common problem that certain brands run small in either the band or the cup and others will run large. Unless this is really abnormal for the brand, it's just something to keep in mind when you order. One of the downsides of ordering online.

But would it really be this extreme? The bra appears to be 2 band sizes smaller than all my other (different brands of) bras. This is too drastic to just be normal variation, in my opinion (unless all other Lepel bras are similarly tiny for the band size they label them as?).. unless they really are using the ancient method of adding 4 to your actual under bust measurement (in which case, I should be wearing a size 32, and that sounds about right, judging from how this size fits).
I measure 27" under bust, and normally can wear a 28 or 30 bra.. but this did not even feel like 28. It was too tight.

For example, if I try on size 26 jeans, I expect that they will vary in sizes, depending on the style and the brand.. but the most difference in sizing variation would only be one size. This was like trying on a paif of size 26 jeans and finding it was more like a 24.

I've heard of some brands running two sizes small. You'd probably have to look at other reviews to be sure. How long does the Lepel band stretch out to? The plus four method is more for bands that have little elasticity like vintage bras.

It feels less stretchy but I just tested the stretch and it stretches out about 8-9", similar to how much the Wacoal bra stretched out below it.. so I guess it does stretch pretty well.

I looked online and there are reviews in which people do say the band is tight, though most people say they tend to size up by one band size (and down a cup size). It feels even tighter to me, but maybe I am wrong about this. I measure 27" under bust and I thought that means I should be wearing a size 28 bra which is hard to find, so I have only been wearing size 30 (on the 2nd hook). I wanted to find a shop in which I can try a size 28 bra on though to see how it feels before ordering any. I found a 28 bra the other day (the brand was Change) and tried it on but it felt a bit too uncomfortably tight to me, though not as uncomfortable as this Lepel bra.. so that is why I think this bra might be 2 sizes too small. Anyway, I think my bra band size is 30. I have low body fat and am athletic and have strong lat muscles, so this could be why (I have read those of us with less fat will find a looser band more comfortable since there is no cushioning.. and have already that if you have a broad upper back to due having an athletic body, this can affect bra band size too)

Anyway, I am getting off-topic here.. Smile

It might be that the Lepel runs small and has a firm band which would make it feel tighter without it having to be that much smaller. And you're right that skinnier people are more likely to have to size up a band to be comfortable, though you might have luck wearing a 28 with an extender until it stretches out a bit. But 30 is definitely easier to find.

So you don't think the band looks crazy small from the photo?

According to Bratabase, the Lepel Iris Plunge 30B fits like a 28C or 28D, so you're not alone.

I definitely do, but I think the stretched measurement is more meaningful than the unstretched.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon