Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

TMI fenugreek!

Has anyone else gotten smelly gas from fenugreek supplements? I started takin' 2440mg of it daily on the 15th day of my cycle until my next one started and i had very smelly, constant gas! I had no stomach pain or anythin' like that. Just constantly breakin' wind and it smelled like wet dog!! I'm considerin' lowerin' the dosage or findin' an alternative without this room clearin' side effect. Any suggestions?

Maybe try an OTC gas reduction product like Bean-O?

I've considered Beano but i already take so many pills (multivitamin, calcium, dhea, pm (on days 1-15 of cycle), vitamin e) and would rather substitute than add another pill to the arsenal lol.

(12-06-2014, 04:34 PM)PromiseYohn Wrote:  I've considered Beano but i already take so many pills (multivitamin, calcium, dhea, pm (on days 1-15 of cycle), vitamin e) and would rather substitute than add another pill to the arsenal lol.

Sounds like a weak stomach. Beano could help, or finding out why your digestive system isn't at 100% or eating healthier to try to improve it. Though I don't know what nutrients in particular are needed off the top of my head. Or pick up a fenugreek extract, make tea, or soak whole seeds in water overnight. The last one works for beans too btw.

I stopped takin' fenugreek and the symptoms have already gone after two days. I eat very clean, no junk, refined sugars, added salts, or hydrogenated oils. Just healthy whole foods so i don't think it's a weak stomach (at least i hope not). I may have taken too much at one time but i think i'll switch to black cohosh or somethin' different.

(13-06-2014, 07:37 PM)PromiseYohn Wrote:  I stopped takin' fenugreek and the symptoms have already gone after two days. I eat very clean, no junk, refined sugars, added salts, or hydrogenated oils. Just healthy whole foods so i don't think it's a weak stomach (at least i hope not). I may have taken too much at one time but i think i'll switch to black cohosh or somethin' different.

It does sound like some form of indigestion though; I mean you can handle regular food but the herbs are too much. You may eat fairly healthy foods but if they're missing the particular nutrients you need for your pancreas or stomach acid then you could still have an issue there. Or maybe your stomach is fine but you are taking other herbs on top of the fenugreek, and the fenugreek is what pushed your stomach over its limits. A lot of people get stomach issues around 6,000-12,000 mg or so even if it's from multiple herbs. Though dry fenugreek is more irritating than others for which more might be tolerable. Fenugreek absorbs a lot of water and makes a lot of mucus.

You could also split up your herbs into morning and evening for a lighter load on your stomach.

I took the fenugreek on an empty stomach and drank 2 glassrs if water right after and waited 30 minutes before eatin'. That may be why it was so "potent" on me. My daily food intake normally goes like this:

Breakfast- whole wheat homemade sugar free pancakes/waffles with fruit

Snack- smoothie made with 2 cups spinach, 2 carrots, half cup mixed berries, one banana, ice

Lunch- protein (usually baked chicken or fish) with lotsa steamed veggies

Snack- apple with plain greek yogurt/or eggs with avocado

Dinner- protein (baked, never fried), lotsa veggies, baked sweet potato

After a workout i'll have a protein shake

I drink water all day. No sodas or other sugary drinks.

I'll try again but lower the dosage and stagger it throughout the day Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

27 years old. 3 kids age 5, 3, and 5 months. Had the besf breasts of my life durin' pregnancy but my active lifestyle took 'em away Sad. I just wanna be a B cup again XD!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon