Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Diastasis Recti

I have this condition, likely associated with an incisional hernia, following laparoscopic gall bladder surgery nearly two years ago. Although I am a genetic male and it can occur in males for a number of reasons, the condition is much the most common in women as an aftermath of pregnancy, being colloquially called 'mummy tummy'. It involves lateral separation of the rectus or 'six pack' muscles at the front of the abdomen, resulting in bulging of the upper and or lower abdomen due to inadequate support of the internal organs. It is characterized by the appearance of a distinctive half football shaped protuberance from the abdomen when the rectus muscles are tensed (some thing like a third breast, just to keep remotely on topic). The medical profession tends to regard it as merely a cosmetic problem, but in fact the loss of restraint on the internal organs can result in displacements within the abdominal cavity with possibly serious results, in my case perhaps part of the cause of a very rare splenic flexure volvulus which was fortunately corrected without surgery but could recur.

I am trying to correct this problem using the Tupler system of splinting and exercising, but this will not be a complete solution if I do indeed have an incisional hernia (which can only be corrected by non-trivial surgery), but it will hopefully close the diastasis in due course although I won't in that case be able to dispense with the splint (which is in fact a specialized type of abdominal binder, and not wholly comfortable). I'm only at an early stage but the system looks to be achieving something. My belly has been cut open enough times in the past few years that I am not thirsting for further surgery.

I believe that if pregnancy related or in young children the diastasis may correct itself, but in cases that do not, has any one else here had this problem or succeeded (or failed) in correcting it? If anyone has any tips or useful information I would be very glad to hear it.

I suffered from the same thing due to being pregnant with twins that weighed 6.1 lbs and 6.2 lbs. The tuppler technique did not help and of course sit ups and crunches made it worse. I began to have back pain because of this and I just recently had a tummy tuck which my insurance refused to pay for.

(11-06-2014, 10:27 PM)iFlyButterfly Wrote:  I suffered from the same thing due to being pregnant with twins that weighed 6.1 lbs and 6.2 lbs. The tuppler technique did not help and of course sit ups and crunches made it worse. I began to have back pain because of this and I just recently had a tummy tuck which my insurance refused to pay for.
Since there are various different types of tummy tuck, did yours include doing anything about closing the diastasis? Given the amount all of them cut you about, I'm not surprised that you are having difficulties in straightening up at this stage. Dodgy

The Tupler technique certainly seems to be doing something for me. After two weeks the bulging above my navel has subsided considerably and my waist measurement has reduced by three inches to about what it was before the diastasis. On the other hand my belly is now bulging below my navel instead (and more on the right side than the left) in a way it never rdid before. I would think that these would be only temporary results unless I keep going, but certainly very noticeable.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon