Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Had to switch pill brands and need a little help.

I ran out of my fenugreek pills and had to go to the store to get some more. Problem is, I couldn't find the brand I had used before. I'm having a little bit of a problem figuring out how they equate to each other.

My old bottle (Solaray) said for 2 capsules it was 1,240mg. The new one (Gaia) says 780mg. The new bottle also says that 2 capsules are equal to 4,480mg of dry herbs. The new pills look like they're filled with a thick liquid while my old ones look like they are powder filled. Sooooo, even though the new pills don't say extract I'm guessing that's what it is.

So, I'm thinking with my current pills I'm taking 1,860mg a day and with the new ones the lowest I could get would be 2,240 (equivalent to dry herb) in 1 pill?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Happy growing!

(01-07-2013, 07:52 PM)Jussiea Wrote:  

The new bottle also says that 2 capsules are equal to 4,480mg of dry herbs. The new pills look like they're filled with a thick liquid while my old ones look like they are powder filled. Sooooo, even though the new pills don't say extract I'm guessing that's what it is.

So, I'm thinking with my current pills I'm taking 1,860mg a day and with the new ones the lowest I could get would be 2,240 (equivalent to dry herb) in 1 pill?

Yes that's a liquid extract you have. Be careful with your comparisons though, because there's a difference between dried and powdered herb (which you've been taking) and dried herb or dry herb.

I'm sorry, but I'm still a little confused. Powdered herbs and dried herbs aren't the same potency for the same weight? So, if I'm taking X amount of powdered herbs, the same mg of dried herbs would be stronger?

If you're measuring in mg they should be the same. Smile To be honest I was thinking more about volume measurements, because to have the equivalent of a teaspoon of dried and powdered herb you would need about 3 or 4 teaspoons of dried herb (depending on the particular herb in question, as such measurements will vary between herbs). I apologise that my original answer was more confusing than helpful. Blush

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon