Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Phytoestrogen that doesn't lower blood sugar?

Hi,
So I'm new to NBE. I tried out Fenugreek, but am experiencing symptoms of Hypoglycemia. I already suffer from mild low blood sugar (have had fainting issues in the past) so I'm now wondering if anyone knows of a strong phytoestrogen that doesn't lower blood sugar? It seems like a lot of them do. Thanks!

Also, does PM lower blood sugar? I tried that and felt the same way when I was taking megadoses of Fenugreek.

First. FG isn't even a phytoestrogen, but an adaptogen...

But maybe hops? Though it's a pretty powerful phyto, it's also a pretty powerful soporific... but afaik there is no insulin response and, in fact, it tends to raise blood sugar.

But yes, PM does tend to cause an insulin response, which is why it's always suggested to take it close to a high carb meal.

Thanks for the response!

Wow, I'm glad you let me know Fenugreek isn't a phytoestrogen. What's the purpose in taking it then? Prolactin?
Also, do you know about Aguaje at all? I googled "aguaje blood sugar" and didn't see many results. I saw it being brought up on BHM a lot, and I believe it's a phytoestrogen, but I don't see it mentioned on here much.

I might try out Hops then! I've already ordered that and Red Clover. I'll make sure to take it at night though, since like you said, it makes you sleepy.

Thanks again Smile

(11-03-2013, 01:21 AM)ssamantha8390 Wrote:  Thanks for the response!

Wow, I'm glad you let me know Fenugreek isn't a phytoestrogen. What's the purpose in taking it then? Prolactin?
Also, do you know about Aguaje at all? I googled "aguaje blood sugar" and didn't see many results. I saw it being brought up on BHM a lot, and I believe it's a phytoestrogen, but I don't see it mentioned on here much.

I might try out Hops then! I've already ordered that and Red Clover. I'll make sure to take it at night though, since like you said, it makes you sleepy.

Thanks again Smile

I don't really know anything at all about aguaje, sorry.

FG's main use seems to be prolactin, yes, but it also seems to be a powerful anti-loopback. Basically it shuts off the signalling that hormones are too high. Which can be useful for some girls whose signalling kicks in too early. WY is the same way, same chemical constituent responsible, IIRC.

I wouldn't suggest combining hops and red clover, both are phytoestrogens and will likely compete, not complement. I don't know as much about red clover, but I think hops is more powerful... *shrug*

You *MIGHT* get good results by using hops during follicular, when estrogen is higher, and red clover during luteal. Or the opposite. But not together at the same time.

Personally, I believe in the making of peaks higher and valleys lower, so I'd suggest trying the more powerful herb/higher dose during follicular myself. Which is what I do, using a higher dose of PM during that time.

Yeah I purchased Hops and Red Clover to take separately. Just wanted to have them in my possession, if I decide to switch between the two (factoring in side effects or w/e).

I started taking Red Clover and Saw Palmetto, and I've loved it so far- unfortunately I haven't been experiencing any growing pains like I did with PM. (Which is to be assumed, since PM is way more potent). I've had no negative side effects though, honestly it's put me in a really great mood- and definitely no headaches or signs of low blood sugar. (I put Fenugreek back into my routine for a day or two and started getting headaches again, which were solved by eating food. So it's definitely low blood sugar related. Unfortunately, even only an hour after eating I'd start experiencing a headache again).

I'm considering switching to Hops though. It's the stronger of the two right? The only issue I have with it, is I read somewhere on here that it can cause some depression? I'm a little prone to that and would rather not become all emo lol. Big Grin

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon