Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

What do my hormone test results mean?

This was copied from my program thread:

Quote:Only my testosterone was actually outside the normal range, but my other 2 primary sex hormones were borderline. According to ZRT's standards, I'm deficient in testosterone while my progesterone is borderline low and my estrogen is borderline high. My ratio of P to E is very low which means I'm technically estrogen dominant, but without estrogen excess. Here are my actual numbers:

Estradiol 3.3 pg/ml (Above 3.3 is excessive)
Progesterone 76 pg/ml (Below 75 is deficient)
Testosterone 12 ng/dl (Below 20 is deficient)
Pg/E2 ratio is 23 (Below 100 is considered imbalanced)

What do you think is the root cause? How is it possible to have high estrogen and low T at the same time? Is it possible that my body is aromatizing testosterone more than it should, or is there a better explanation? If there's excessive aromatization going on, why is it happening? I would love to hear any other opinions, because I've hit a dead end researching this.

(03-02-2013, 07:27 PM)mochaccino Wrote:  This was copied from my program thread:

Quote:Only my testosterone was actually outside the normal range, but my other 2 primary sex hormones were borderline. According to ZRT's standards, I'm deficient in testosterone while my progesterone is borderline low and my estrogen is borderline high. My ratio of P to E is very low which means I'm technically estrogen dominant, but without estrogen excess. Here are my actual numbers:

Estradiol 3.3 pg/ml (Above 3.3 is excessive)
Progesterone 76 pg/ml (Below 75 is deficient)
Testosterone 12 ng/dl (Below 20 is deficient)
Pg/E2 ratio is 23 (Below 100 is considered imbalanced)

What do you think is the root cause? How is it possible to have high estrogen and low T at the same time? Is it possible that my body is aromatizing testosterone more than it should, or is there a better explanation? If there's excessive aromatization going on, why is it happening? I would love to hear any other opinions, because I've hit a dead end researching this.

Look into your adrenals. They produce progesterone and testosterone and many other hormones. If they are weak producing inadequate amounts of cortisol, you will have low test, and progesterone for sure unless you are some weird, rare exception. If the output of cortisol is normal, then look to your ovaries. I think you may have aromatization going on here as well.

You can order their cortisol tests (all 4) to find out or do a blood spot with your doc.

Anyone have any other theories?

I wonder if I could really be so damn out of shape that it caused this imbalance. I'm chubby but not obese, of course. Technically my weight is not too high for my height, but I'm pretty sure I somehow managed to become overfat without being overweight. I looked into it, and seems that typically when women have High E & low P due to fatness, they also have high T. That confused me, but then I realized that their high T is caused by insulin resistance.

It's complicated, but does anyone think these hormone levels are "normal" in a young(ish) women who is slightly "overfat" but not obese, and probably isn't insulin resistant? By "normal" I don't mean "healthy", of course. I just wonder if slight chubbiness and lack of exercise is enough to explain my imbalance completely. The low T is the part that confuses me the most.

Ages ago I linked to a study explaining the effect of long term exercise on hormone levels in women. I really need to look back at it and see what I can glean from it.

In case it isn't already obvious, I fell head first off the diet and exercise
wagon. What is this, the millionth time now? I'm pathetic, I know. Blush

I took the online hormone balance tests from Dr. Lee's website and also from Dr. Randolf's website. Both websites stated that I have sex hormone imbalance and tired adrenals. Lee's website specifically mentions Estrogen Dominance and Cortisol Deficiency, while Randolf's website mentioned no specifics, apart from the fact that I have borderline high stress at a level of 201.

Randolf's website suggested PC and EPO for balance. I don't know if the tests are right or I need to get actual lab tests done, provided I can convince a doctor to give me those tests. Blush When I asked earlier, I was refused point blank!

I have no idea where to proceed from here!! Huh

Since you've been to the John Lee site, you probably noticed that you can buy actual blood and saliva tests. If not, here you go: www.johnleemd.com/store/prod_stest.html If you want to test your testosterone you should get the blood tests for testosterone and SHBG instead of using their saliva test. If you test both, than you can find out what your "free" T levels are. I've heard that overall T levels are not very meaningful in women without knowing what their free T levels are.

(23-02-2013, 11:40 AM)laika186 Wrote:  I don't know if the tests are right or I need to get actual lab tests done, provided I can convince a doctor to give me those tests. Blush When I asked earlier, I was refused point blank!

I have no idea where to proceed from here!! Huh

I got pretty confused by the online tests too, as I didn't have any strong dominance of symptoms in any of the sections. Like you, I was refused at first. Then I found an older, more sympathetic female doctor who understood my concern about hormonal imbalance as I've battled acne for decades and I'm very skinny, with underdeveloped breasts, but without an eating disorder. I've read that saliva hormone tests are not as accurate as blood ones.

@Mochaccino

Thanks for your concern. I did see the saliva test kits on the website, but since I am in India, I cannot possibly order them. Instead, I will visit some doctor who would understand my problem and order the blood tests to be done, which I prefer to the saliva tests, by the way!

@Rubric

Your symptoms sound almost the same as mine, except that I have never had any sort of skin problems whatsoever. But I am incredibly skinny with underdeveloped breasts though I do not have any eating disorder. I am also trying to find a doctor who would be willing to get my tests done.

If I succeed, I will finally know where I stand.

Good luck to you all.
Cheers!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon