Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

how to make red clover extract at home?

hi everybody
I have red clover powder and I'm thinking of use it for massage,, how can I get the extract since I couldn't reach the readymade extract where I live,,,any help will be appreciated Blush

hey guys where r u? need help Sad

You can't create an extraction procedure at home, if that's what you're asking. It's an industrial process. Or are you referring to steeping the red clover?

Of course you can.. An extraction simply pulling something out of something else. Seeping is AN EXTRACTION. Lol.

Removing water from a plant, ie dried plant is an extraction. The dried herb by volume is significantly more concentrated then wet herb.

Unless its a standardized extract, which means that a specific chemical is tested for purity.. Doing it at home is possible.

For example, you can buy just green tea leaves. Or you can buy green leaf powder. Or you can nuy green tea standardized for 98% ECGC. Most extractions are simple water removal or alcohol ones and not highly purified standardized material like that 98% material.

At home, there is very little way of controlling the PURITY of the procedure as how a standarized material would be done commercially but if you look on the shelf of most herbal stores, the materials are simply ratio stds. like a 4:1 or say extract without saying exactly what was extracted. Ratio stds are typically just the amount of water that has been dried out. Think of a cucumber, how much it weights naturally, then dried it and see how much the resulting powder weights. I'd guess it would be 10x lighter so you just made 10:1 cucumber extract.

As for making a tincture at home, buy some 40% or higher grain alcohol like vodka or rum and grind up the red clover, then put the clover in an amber wide mouth jar, put the ground clover and add 1x to 2x the amount of alcohol by volume to clover ie if you have 1cup of clover, add 2cups of alcohol . store in a dark place and shake lightly daily.

Wait a minimum of 2wks, but I'd suggest 1month at least. 3 months even better. Make 2 jars so you can start using 1 jar after one month while the other is still extracting for up to 3months. When its ready, filter it through a unbleached coffee filter, squeeze the powder a lot to get all the alcohol out of the herb. Done. Consume the alcohol like 1mL or dropperful at a time and ramp dose as you feel fit.

You've just created a 2 phase extraction ie alcohol extraction and also a water extraction. 40%+ alcohol also contains ~60% water.

oh thank u so much that was really helpful Blush
but I wonder if I can use it for massage.. I mean .. how can I do massage with alcohol Huh

I would suggest mixing the amount you want to massage with DMSO (make sure its 99%) as the dmso will act as a carrier for dermal absorption. When you have the RC-DMSO mixed, cut it with some aloe vera gel (not juice) so its at a minimum 50\50 mix of aloe or more and massage that in.

When fully absorbed you can finish massage with flax oil if you want some additional herb influence or if you don't want the flax competing with RC, use an inert oil like ExtraVirgin olive or coconut oil or what ever oil you choose.

if you do with dmso, just be very careful clean your breats with grain alcohol and make sure hands, pads and area is very clean.

(01-02-2013, 06:15 PM)LookingForward2NBE Wrote:  Unless its a standardized extract, which means that a specific chemical is tested for purity.. Doing it at home is possible.

If it's not a standardized extract I'm not sure what makes it worth the effort.

thnx so much for reply ,, but what is DMSO ?

DMSO is a controversial product.. Google it and you'll understand its claimed benefits and issues with its use.

I love dmso. I'm thinking of doing this too.....but how much red clover fenugreek would you need to massage in?
Can't seem to find anything here on rd massage doses.....
Thanks

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon