Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Taking Herbs & having surgery?

I am having surgery (to my nose) on 28th March, I was wondering if it was safe to keep taking the herbs during this time?

I currently take;
1 x 3200mg fenugreek capsule
1 x 1000mg Maca capsule
2 x 450mg Saw Palmetto capsules (900mg)
2 x 405mg wild yam capsules (810mg)
2 x 610mg EPO capsules

Also I am likely to be on painkillers/anti-biotics after my surgery.

I had spinal surgery a year ago. I totally stopped using anything and was totally back to normal, except for a bit more breast than usual, when I went in for surgery. I would recommend that because they will not give you herbs or anything else while you are in there. How long will you have to stay in the hospital after the surgery? I think You could weather a one or two day skip of your herbs until you get home but if they say it could go longer, then I would consider quitting.

(21-01-2013, 12:21 PM)Wishful Wrote:  I had spinal surgery a year ago. I totally stopped using anything and was totally back to normal, except for a bit more breast than usual, when I went in for surgery. I would recommend that because they will not give you herbs or anything else while you are in there. How long will you have to stay in the hospital after the surgery? I think You could weather a one or two day skip of your herbs until you get home but if they say it could go longer, then I would consider quitting.
It will only be an overnight stay, i was just wondering if it was safe to take because of the anaesthetic/pain killers/anti-biotics that they might put me on

I really can't say because I am not that familiar with how the Maca and EPO act. Anyone else here able to help us out?

It would be best to ask your doctor if the herbs you are taking would interfere. You don't have to disclose that you are taking them for NBE purposes. The list you gave, people take for other things as well, so really if you feel embarrassed to tell the doctor because you don't want them to know it's for NBE, then they don't have to know. I told plenty of doctors about the stuff I was taking whenever I was put through any type of medications, they never once questioned why I was taking what I was taking. Even when I was taking Zoft, I just listed the ingredients, I never said the name of the product. HTH

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon