Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Wild Yam

wild yam really doesn't work?
April 14 2008 at 5:10 AM melD (Login ditavt)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some people say wild yam contributes to breast enhancement, but now, they are saying it doesn't.
so why exactly doesn't it help?
i would like to know, because i want to purchase single herbs.

thank you!!

Author Reply

lena
(Login stilettos)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: wild yam really doesn't work? April 14 2008, 5:43 AM

Hey, melD. The herbs are not guaranteed to work for everybody as we all do not have the same body chemistry. Wild yam works for some while it does not for others. It's the same with other herbs. Checking your hormone balance first before deciding what herbs to buy helps. Check out this thread: http://www.network54.com/Forum/522223/th...lance+test.

Tessica
(Login Tessica) Re: wild yam really doesn't work? April 14 2008, 5:46 AM

Wild yam was once thought to have progesteronic properties, but now we know this is not true. The only way to get the progesterone from wild yam is to use a natural progesterone cream. Just taking wild yam will not give the same effect. It may be mildly estrogenic, but there are certainly other herbs that are better for that purpose.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: wild yam really doesn't work? April 14 2008, 6:02 AM

There was a study done proving that wild yam does nothing in terms of progesterone on our bodies, I tried searching for it but can't find it right now... gone about 36 hrs now with only sleeping for an hour so i'm dead tired. I know its on this site though.

good luck i'm off to bed ladies

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: wild yam really doesn't work? April 14 2008, 12:40 PM

This may be the study Hopeful is refering to:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11428178?ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I have to point out tho that despite the fact that diosgenin doesn't convert into progesterone in the body, that doesn't mean it doesn't bind to progesterone receptors and elicits a progesteronic action. I was interested in finding this info but couldn't find it. But the above study could be an indirect clue that diosgenin doesn't bind to progesterone receptors.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: wild yam really doesn't work? April 14 2008, 5:00 PM

I posted this on the information on herbs part of the forum, but I thought it would be easier for me to repost it here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The six most potent common herbs to bind progesterone receptors were oregano (Origanum vulgare), verbena (Verbena species), turmeric, thyme, red clover, and damania (Turnera difussa).

Herbs with anti-progesterone activity were red clover, licorice, goldenseal, pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium), nutmeg (Myristica fragrans), and mandrake (Podophyllum peltatum).

Most progesterone-binding herbs were not active or were anti-progestogenic in the body (such as pennyroyal).

Wild yam (Dioscoria villosa) increased progesterone receptor binding in 20-30% of women, but appeared to suppress progesterone. Researchers concluded that diosgenin, the yam compound used to synthesize progesterone, “did not convert to progesterone in the body.”

In AHA Volume 15: Issue 2, 1999.

REFERENCE: Zava, DT, et al. 1998. Estrogen and progestin bioactivity of foods, herbs, and spices. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine 217(3):36.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now remember - just because something binds to a receptor it does not mean it has a positive action. This study says that most of the herbs that bind to the receptor were not active or worse, were anti-progestogenic - meaning they suppress progesterone.

Wild yam had an interesting effect in that it seemed to promote receptor binding (in a small percentage of women) but actually seemed to suppress progesterone.

According to Dr. Lee there are no phytoprogesterones like there are phytoestrogens. Think about it this way. If we take a phytoestrogen, it is like taking estrogen (mind you, usually at much lower potency than our natural estrogen). Taking phytoestrogens don't stimulate our body to produce estrogen, they act like estrogen itself.

There is no herb that is the equivalent of progesterone. There is vitex, but it works by stimulating our body to make progesterone -which is not the same as taking a progesterone supplement (for example, if a woman does not have ovaries, the vitex won't help because its method of action is to stimulate progesterone production from the corpus luteum that is located on the ovary).

With all this being said, could wild yam be helpful to NBE? Maybe. It is after all a mild phytoestrogen. In a few women it increased their ability to bind with progesterone - maybe in an even smaller group it does not suppress progesterone. Who knows - maybe someone has small breasts because they have too much progesterone and using wild yam will help them because it suppresses progesterone.

So what I am really saying is that in this great big ole universe - anything is possible - however it is probably that there are better NBE herbs than wild yam.

waxingmoon

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: wild yam really doesn't work? April 14 2008, 7:20 PM

Remember that progesterone is made from vitamin C so make sure you're not lacking there!

boobylove
(Login boobylove) oestrog/prosteg April 14 2008, 11:35 PM

bizarre or not question:

would estrogen help more young people to grow boobs and progesterone older people to grow boobs? ( i read about the whole taking progesterone for menopause)
am confused dudes...

boobyluvv
xxx

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: wild yam really doesn't work? April 14 2008, 11:53 PM

Boobyluv,
Your question is good, but there is no exact answer to it. It all depends on the individual. For example, one of the best success stories is Surf and she was over 40 and used no progesterone in her routine. She gained 5 inches.

Others who are younger and have deficiency in their progesterone might need to increase progesterone in order to achieve growth.

I would say in general that many women who have never had hormone balance problems in regards to progesterone may indeed begin to have progesterone deficiency as they approach menopause. Progesterone production is after all tied to ovulation (the corpus luteum that forms after ovulation). An-ovulatory cycles start cropping up more in the pre-menopause stage (somewhere around 10 or more years prior to actual menopause).

There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to NBE. It isn't that women have not found great ways to grow, they have, it's just that everything is trial and error. I think the single best thing a woman can have when attempting NBE is persistence (followed by patience and a good attitude about it all).

(a good sense of humor seems to help as well)

waxingmoon

Wild Yam Info...
May 26 2007 at 1:56 AM
KittyCharlette (Login KittyCharlette)
So I was searching the internet to come up with my own boobie grow concoction and saw that alot of boobie grow suppliments have Wild Yam. So I went one a wild yam search and I found this:

Hormonal properties (to mimic estrogen, progesterone, or DHEA)

Despite popular belief, no natural progestins, estrogens, or other reproductive hormones are found in wild yam. Its active ingredient, diosgenin, is not converted to hormones in the human body. Artificial progesterone has been added to some wild yam products. The belief that there are hormones in wild yam may be due to the historical fact that progesterone, androgens, and cortisone were chemically manufactured from Mexican wild yam in the 1960s.

Here is the site I found it at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drugi...ldyam.html

If this is true, I don't think I would take it.

Katie M
(No login)
other reason
May 26 2007, 2:13 AM

I think those who take wild yam are taking it for its estrogenic properties, not for progesterone.

Who is using Wild Yam?
February 28 2006 at 5:40 AM Ally (no login)
I'm just wondering who is using wild yam? Had anyone started using it then dropped it? I could just check the Programs link, but I need some input. I started using wild yam, then I dropped it 'cause I kept hearing how the body doesn't know how to break down the Progesterone in Wild yam.

Has anyone cut the wild yam from their routine and found that they grew anyway? Or grew since they dropped the wild yam? Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

BTW - my body is low on progesterone so that's why I'm thinking it's the missing link in my routine.

Steph
(no login)
Hi Ally
February 28 2006, 8:34 AM

I think theres quite a few of us who did drop the WY,I was using it for maybe 2-3 weeks at one point and I cant really describe it other then to say I just had a "feeling" that it wasnt assisting my routine,I now use my left over caps for a topical mix.Im sure u already saw this BUT just in case,I found more then 1 source that claimed that Zinc (30mg day), Vitamin B6 (dont have dose for that 1) and the Chastenberry(or are u already on that Vitex?) raised Progesterone levels.Maybe something to look into unless u already did in which case Im out of ideas lol:-)

Sunset
(no login)
Re: Who is using Wild Yam?
February 28 2006, 12:43 PM

Tendertatas is using wild yam cream, she is also doing REALLY well on her growing. Hopefully she'll see this and be able to answer your questions.

TenderTaTas
(no login)
February 28 2006, 2:19 PM

Hi, yeah I am using Wild Yam, both internally and topically. It's been almost 2 months and I've grown almost an inch. I don't know if it's attributed to the Wild Yam or not as I am also taking Fenugreek and Saw Palmetto.

However, I was thinking of switching it for Red Clover when I run out of it to see if it would work even better for me because I've heard great things about it. And if I stop growing then I could always switch back.

Angela
(no login)
March 1 2006, 1:05 AM

I also use it. I have been using it just about since the beginning. I am afraid to stop using it because what if I don't grow as good. I only take 2 a day so it is not a big deal. Alot of people have grown without using it.

Angela

Buffy
(no login)
March 1 2006, 3:33 AM

I've used Wild Yam since I started, but I plan on dropping it once my extract bottle runs out. Isn't Wild Yam's phytoestrogen diosgenin contained in another herb? lol, I've been reading so much I can't even remember which herb that is.

Ally
(no login)
March 1 2006, 8:15 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone! I think maybe I'll try adding Mexican Wild Yam for a bit and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Wild Yam necessary?
February 17 2006 at 9:23 PM Tanya (no login)
I've seen Wild Yam in so many routines. Is it really important to BE? Is it necessary?

Lisa
(no login)
Re: Wild Yam necessary?
February 17 2006, 9:28 PM

There are many of us who are on single herbs who haven't used Wild Yam and have grown fine without it just on Saw Palmetto and Fenugreek. Christina I think said that she tried Wild Yam but that it didn't enhance her success so she stopped using it again.
So no, I don't think Wild Yam is essential for NBE, I used Fenugreek and Saw Palmetto for four months and grew 3-4 cm without ever taking it.

Jennelle
(no login)
February 17 2006, 9:30 PM

No item could be correctly described as NECESSARY.

SugarQ
(no login)
February 17 2006, 9:33 PM

tanya, take a look at some routines like prettysoulful and christina. they both grew without it. on the beboard there are more routines and example where women claim they grew and some of them dont use wild yam. Erdic doesnt contain wild yam neither does Wonderup. These products are pretty popular and dont have too much negative feedback on this forum. So the quick answer to your question in no. fenugreek seems to have more power then wild yam and they both contain the same phytoestrogen diosgenin(fenugreek contains more then wild yam). so you can same some money and just drop the wild yam and stick with just the fenugreek. its up to you. if you want to give it a try then go ahead. you just need to understand that you dont have to for success.

Christina
(no login)
Reply to Jenelle
February 17 2006, 11:46 PM

I'm responding to
"No item could be correctly described as NECESSARY"

Actually, Jenelle is completely wrong in her statement. Obviously something has to be a necessary item or our boobs wouldn't be growing.

I am taking
*Fenugreek
*Saw Palmetto
*Multi-Vitamin
*Maxi-Hair
Which one of these is "necessary" I do not know. Maybe ALL of them, maybe only one of them actually is. But my boobs were not growing before I started these herbs and they have grown a lot since I have started so OBVIOUSLY some or ALL items are definately NECESSARY!!!

SugarQ
(no login)
February 18 2006, 12:11 AM

dont get as wrong. some women will try fenugreek and saw palmetto and find that they dont get much of anything until they ad wild yam to the mix. everyone is different. i would suggest going with 2 or 3 works at first. if nothing slowly add another herb and see what happens. some women dont need wild yam but some women may find that need it.

Jennelle
(no login)
February 18 2006, 7:25 AM

Actually, I am not completely wrong. For example, there are women who have grown using nothing other than the mirifica herb, so it follows that none of the things you listed can be described as necessary. Some women claim to have grown using nothing other than fennel or evening primrose oil, so again none of the things you list can be necessary. You could have used completely different herbs to the ones you did and still grown, so there is no basis for you claiming that the things you take are necessary.

PROGESTERONE CREAM
March 6 2006 at 1:45 AM MyKida3 (no login)
I found this progesterone cream at this one store,Question is,can I use that for massage? If I can use it for breast massage, then could I add anything to it as well or add nothing.Im asking because I know nothing about progesterone for BE so any Pros/cons would be great from someone who knows.Thanks A Bunch!

Steph
(no login)
Hi MK3
March 6 2006, 2:02 AM

SugarQ can probly give u the most on this one so I'll simply give u a "starter",the PC seems to be an up and down think in that it can cause swelling or shrinkage.I would think it works best when u are actually a "low progesterone" type too.I personally would not add any herbs to the cream itself as u could render it less potent and altered in effect.The main thing if using PC is to get a good brand that HAS actual synthetic Progesterone in it and it should be atleast 500mg USP listed on the lable.

Sunset
(no login)
Steph gave some good info
March 6 2006, 2:13 AM

and in my opinion, I would NOT use it for massages. The reason is because to MUCH estrogen can cause you NOT to grow as well as to LITTLE can too.

I would not recommend at all to use it several times a day, every day for as long as you do massages.

I have read many times that there are certain times when the progesterone cream is better off left on the shelf.

It's up to you, but I would strongly not recommend it in massages, and certainly would not mix herbs into it.

Hopefully SugarQ can jump in on this one Smile

SugarQ
(no login)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
March 6 2006, 2:46 AM

be very careful how you use Progesterone cream. Never use it for daily breast massages. the only way Progesterone will help you grow is if you have an excess amount of estrogen and lower progesterone levels. progesterone creams are better to use if you want to resenstize receptors every few months for 1 to 3 cycles. or you can use it for a few cycles before you start herbs. another good use is if you just stalled for over 2 months and want to drop your herb dosage and use the cream to jump start things again.

but dont use it regularly for NBE unless you need it for other reasons. cause progesterone can actually cause shrinkage (reduce breast swelling from herbs) and it can keep women with dominant and low estrogen levels from getting NBE. follow the directions on the lable. dont massage it on the breast daily. usually the directions say massage on think areas like the ankles or the wrists where it would eaily be absorbed. there are certain times in your cycle where you should start and stop the cream so follow that carefully. you also need to measure out the dosages. look for a cream without mineral oil. rotate where you massage the cream. like day 1 you massage on the breast in the morning and then on the abdomin at night day 2 you massage ont the butt in the morn. and massage the cream on the the ankles at night etc... you can massage in the same area every 4 days at the least.

this is some helpful thinks for how to use Progesterone cream but make sure you follow the directions on the lable of the cream you choose to buy.
unless you are going through menopause then you need a cream with 500-750mg/oz of Progesterone. otherwise you an get away with a cream with over 1000mg/0z
http://www.stretchmarks.com/natural%20ho...html(there is a section about NBE and Pcream)
http://www.commerce.lbrionline.com/purerelief.aspx (read the faq part)
http://www.oasisadvancedwellness.com/pro...erene.html (there are some stuff about what ingredients you should avoid, most of them you dont have to worry about. just the ones that prevent absorption like mineral oil)

Wild Yam Question
March 22 2006 at 1:58 AM Sherri (Login Miss_Sherri)
EVE MEMBERS
I will be taking wild yam in my program. I had planned on taking about 1500 mg wild yam however the directions on my bottle says to take one daily. They are only 200 mg/pill. That seems so low to me. I think SugarQ recommended 1500-3000 mg of wild yam. The bottle does say: certified potency mexican wild yam- power is the highest quality, most potent and most effective form of wild yam extract available.
Does 200 mg sound right?

Mrs.T
(Login Mrs.Taylor)
EVE MEMBERS
Girl I don't know
March 22 2006, 2:01 AM

I was only taking 1 a day..Hopefully someone else comes along to help you..good luck though..

Love Skittles,
Taste the Rainbow

Happy Growth Pains to all!!Love ya..

TenderTaTas
(Login tendertatas)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Wild Yam Question
March 22 2006, 2:06 AM

I was taking 1500mg/day and was fine with that (no side effects). I switched to Red Clover when it ran out and couldn't find more.

Sherri
(Login Miss_Sherri)
EVE MEMBERS
March 22 2006, 3:50 AM

Mrs. T how many mg were yours? Thanks Smile

Mrs.Taylor
(Login Mrs.Taylor)
EVE MEMBERS
500 mg
March 22 2006, 4:39 AM

500mg

Sunset
(Login liquidSunset)
EVE MEMBERS
Sherri
March 22 2006, 7:25 PM

if you are scared to take more than reccomended just take 1 like the bottle says for a month or so and then up it to 2 if you need to or feel more comfortable doing so.

Sherri
(Login Miss_Sherri)
EVE MEMBERS
March 22 2006, 11:36 PM

Thanks ladies. 200mg just seems kind of low, but I don't want to take more than I should either. I'll just start with one

Article on Wild Yam
April 3 2006 at 6:54 PM Wendy (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an interesting article:
http://www.holisticjunction.com/articles/264.html

especially what it says about wild yam as a topical.

Here is a clip from the article. I am trying it today.

"Many people question the effectiveness of topical application.

Our skin has the ability to absorb elements that come in contact with it. These elements travel with the blood flow or accumulate in tissues. Nicotine patches, essential oil blends work this way. The benefits of it are obvious: nutrients and vitamins do not travel through the digestive system and liver, where they can be broken down and lose their effect. Diosgenin becomes nearly useless after it goes through the liver.

On the other hand, when it is applied to such areas as breasts, inner thighs, belly, it easily penetrates the skin. When it is accumulated in breast tissues, it makes fat cells a little bigger, which adds fullness and roundness to the breasts. It does not increase the number of cells, therefore there is a limit to size increase, and it depends on the amount of fat cells already present. "

Wild Yam questions....
November 15 2005 at 9:08 PM Mojo (no login)
Wondering if anyone has had negative side effects with this herb. I've seen a lot of girls are taking it.

Started routine in Sept with no WY at all, but then doused and it suggested adding it to my regimine. It suggested 3,600 mg a day, and I wondered if this sounds excessive to any of you...

Holly
(no login)
Re: Wild Yam questions....
November 15 2005, 9:29 PM

I think absurd would be a more appropriate word than excessive.

Anonymous
(no login)
November 15 2005, 9:58 PM

Not necessarily. In fact many women take a standard dosage of 3000mg per day. Since you are dowsing, it could be that you need that amount during certain times of the month. I would encourage you to dowse daily for your dosages. AND hold the bottle in your hand while doing so.
Good luck!

SugarQ
(no login)
November 16 2005, 6:09 AM

well... i dont think too many ladies on this forum like the idea of dowsing. as you can see from the major debates and arguments in several different threads. all i have to say on that note is if anyone whats to argue the idea again should go back and do so in those threads and not start up another thread with the same nonsense. but we all appriciate your suggestion anon anyways...
As for wildyam tablets.
3000mg is high but some may find that it works for them. i would say start with no more them 1500mg and over a period of 1-2 months ramp up to 3000mg. ramping really helpful at finding the lowest effective dosage for each individual. some have debated wither or not Wild Yam is even effective. Fenugreek has the same chemical in it at a higher percentage so i would normally suggest just ramping up fenugreek to the maximum of 3500mg. but then again its still good to diversify and have different herbs.

Confused about wild yam!
December 17 2006 at 1:26 PM Anna (Login anna-a)
If our body can not convert the progesterone in wild yam, how are wild yam cream or pills working on NBE then?

cher
(Login cherasia)
Re: Confused about wild yam!
December 17 2006, 2:03 PM

Anna, you can borrow this book call "What your doctor may not tell you about breast cancer" how hormone balance can help save your life. by John R.Lee from library.Inside the books gives you lots of info about hormone.. know how estrogen and progesterone works and alot more..you will eventually know the answer for yourself.

I myself just borrow it..Its very good, great info..get to understand the work of human hormones better..

Hope this help u!

Cheers!!

diana
(Login Diana1978)
hi
December 17 2006, 2:06 PM

this site might be helpful. www.all-natural.com/wildyam.html good luck.

Anna
(Login anna-a)
Re: Confused about wild yam!
December 17 2006, 2:20 PM

Hey Cher and Diana,

Thanks alot!

Greets
Anna

Anonymous
(Login boobins)
great link
December 17 2006, 5:27 PM

thats was a reat link to simple information on wild yam cream I have been going back and forth on using it, but wow, this site offered a lot of good information. thanks!

wonderbride
(Login wonderbride)
Confused about wild Yam!
December 18 2006, 1:58 AM

Here's another website that talks about wild yam and NBE:

http://www.britain.tv/beautyfashion_horm...ment.shtml

Good luck ladies Smile

Best Sheep
(Login bestsheep)
Confused about wild Yam!
December 18 2006, 10:12 AM

Yam is estrogenic too isn't it? i think this is a point often overlooked.

confused about wild yam.....
July 24 2007 at 10:33 AM Davilee (Login Davi-lee)
Can I get an answer about which is really best...the "whole herb" wild yam or the extracted USP Progesterone.
Im confused.
One person said that only the wild yam itself will be a precursor to progesterone then the next entry would say just the opposite,that only the USP PROG.extracted from diosgenin will work.
Can someone clarify this?
Im getting ready to buy one of these and I thought I knew what I wanted until now.
Thanks!

Nell Gwynne
(Login nell.gwynne)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: More confused about wild yam.....
July 24 2007, 8:16 PM

I've noticed the same thing, so you're not the only one who is confused about wild yam.

Snowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS
July 25 2007, 11:20 AM

Wild Yam is a rather weak herb for NBE compared to Black cohash and Red Clover. It did help me with ovarian pain before my periods though. If your going to put out money for herbs, I would drop Wild yam and go for something stronger and with more assured info. Red clover would be my first choice as black cohash has had reviews in regards to liver damage. There is just too many contradictions over WY converting in the body. Good luck!

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
July 25 2007, 11:38 AM

WY does not contain progesterone, it contains diosgenin. Diosgenin is not a precursor to progesterone, but it is a compund similar to progesterone and will bind to progesetrone receptors and elicit progesetronic effects (but weaker).

Wild Sheep
(no login)
July 25 2007, 12:28 PM

Diosgenin is used to make synthetic progesterone and this can be done in a laboratory environment but there are no proofs that it can be done by itself in the body by taking wild yam as extract, capsules or cream.

Cynthia
(Login Baste4562)
July 25 2007, 5:35 PM

Wild Yam

Wild Yam helps relieve PMS and menopausal symptoms, and promotes hormonal balance. It contains the estrogenic substances diosgenin and pregnenolone. Wild yam also has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties due in part to cortisone-like constituents. Diosgenin itself, is weakly antispasmodic. Wild yam has been used to allay nausea due to high hormone levels. This may be due to competition for estrogen receptor sites by diosgenin. Wild yam is especially indicated for spastic uterine contractions with nausea, boring pain radiating from the umbilicus outward, and pain that is better with pressure. It is one of the primary raw materials used to synthesize natural estrogens and progesterones.

Cynthia

Davilee
(Login Davi-lee)
Great, thanks!
July 26 2007, 5:43 AM

Thanks,for the replies.
The one thing that I had been trying to figure out exactly is..
Is the compounded USP Progesterone going to be good for boosting the development of the glandular structures? I had seen on Dr.Lam's site that Dr.Lee wrote that it would be the best for HRT,but didnt say exactly if it would be good for breast development.
I would assume it would be fine for that also,unless there is an progesterone stimulator thats as good.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon