Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

A WARNING about Weight Gain Supplements - Please read!!!

A WARNING about Weight Gain Supplements - Please read!!!
October 6 2009 at 12:35 AM Sailorvenus44 (Login sailorvenus44)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started taking the weight gain supplement Cytogainer a couple weeks ago, but then stopped when I found out that one of its ingredients, Creatine, has caused extremely serious adverse effects (Seizures are often mentioned) in perfectly healthy people. Cytogainer is not the only supplement which contains creatine - Russian Bear and many others do as well.

Here are some interesting articles I found:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2000/01/05/...atine.html

From an article above that states how a healthy man had violent seizures as a result of creatine:
"Creatine may be popular, but it's not well understood. Many of the current test results may not be valid."

http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/creatineR38.html
The article above is called "My Husband Nearly Died From Intense Seuizures While Taking Creatine." self-explanatory...

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=386021
One guy in the forum above was taking 20 grams of Creatine for just 3 months when he had a seizure! Now I believe Cytogainer only has 3 grams of Creatine. But... Yeah... just read through this stuff and decide for yourselves. Most people who take Creatine supllements and weight gainer supplements are absoulutely fine. However I don't think I'm going to take anymore until I can be completely sure of its safeness.

On a positive note, I gained 7 lbs in the past 2 weeks as a result of the supplement I was taking (I am now 119 lbs)- I guess it's back to doing things the hard way for me... Smile

Respond to this message

Author Reply

NancyGreen
(Login NancyGreen) Re: A WARNING about Weight Gain Supplements - Please read!!! October 6 2009, 5:52 AM

You forgot a few things:

"Kriellaars says right now, there's no evidence that draws a definite connection between the two."

Also while I don't know why a woman would want to take Creatine, Creatine is actually one of the MOST documented enhancement substances known to man.

Unlike most supplements that athletes use, creatine is neither a vitamin, mineral, herb nor hormone. It is a naturally occurring amino acid that is found in our body that has the chemical name methyl guanidine-acetic acid (see Figure 1 below). As most of you are already aware, amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. The majority of creatine (about 95%) is located in the skeletal muscle system, and the remaining 5% is in the brain, heart and testes. We acquire most of the creatine in our system by consuming meats and fish as well as dairy products, egg whites, nuts and seeds. Although the human body has a way of storing very high amounts of creatine to enhance recovery and muscle power, it is quite challenging to consume enough food to provide the same amount of creatine that using supplements will. In the event that you do not consume enough creatine to suit your body’s requirements, your body can synthesize it from the amino acids arginine, glycine and methionine. This manufacturing process takes place in the kidneys, liver and pancreas.

The use of creatine in healthy individuals is generally considered safe. Studies have not yet been able to demonstrate that either long-term or short-term creatine supplementation results in adverse health effects. Creatine supplementation using recommended dosages has not been linked with any adverse side effects beyond occasional dehydration due to increased muscular water uptake from the rest of the body. An increase in muscle mass and body mass are the most widely accepted side effect of creatine supplementation.

According to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), "the safety and bioavailability of the requested source of creatine, creatine monohydrate in foods for particular nutritional uses, is not a matter of concern provided that there is adequate control of the purity of this source of creatine (minimum 99.95%) with respect to dicyandiamide and dihydro-1,3,5-triazine derivatives, as well as heavy metal contamination. The EFSA Panel endorses the previous opinion of the SCF that high loading doses (20 gram / day) of creatine should be avoided.[12] Provided high purity creatine monohydrate is used in foods for particular nutritional uses, the Panel considers that the consumption of doses of up to 3g/day of supplemental creatine, similar to the daily turnover rate of creatine, is unlikely to pose any risk.

Bottom line DO NO worry about your muscle milk having creatine in it. My husband was a firefighter for LA county and has taken creative monohydrate every day for the 14 years to maintain muscle mass and strength. Every annual check up of his shows him at the peak of health with a very strong cardiovascular system and excellent bone density.

He is very active with our new child (my picture) and shows no signs of slowing down even after taking BCAA's and Creatine for so many years. If you would like recommendations on milder weight gain products designed for use by women - let me know and I will post some links for you. Although I believe that best are home made with a variety of ground flax seed, hemp oil, waxy maize starch, and honey.

Cheers!

NancyGreen
(Login NancyGreen) Re: A WARNING about Weight Gain Supplements - Please read!!! October 6 2009, 6:04 AM

a few typos as I was posting that message sorry - meant to say:

DO NOT worry about your muscle milk having creatine in it.

cheers

Sailorvenus44
(Login sailorvenus44) Re: A WARNING about Weight Gain Supplements - Please read!!! October 6 2009, 6:08 AM

^Thanks for the clarification. I suppose the 20g vs. 3g do make a difference. I didn't mean to scare anyone, though. I just figured I'd mention it - I guess the U.S. FDA hasn't done much extensive research on it.

NancyGreen
(Login NancyGreen) Re: A WARNING about Weight Gain Supplements - Please read!!! October 6 2009, 6:15 AM

> FDA hasn't done much extensive research on it.

That is because Creatine is not really a food or drug - though it could be used for those purposes.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon