Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Fenugreek and testosterone

I was talking to a boy a few days ago that is working on his body and he told me he was taking fenugreek to increase testosterone. I told him the herb was estrogenic and maybe he should reconsider. I have never heard this before. I looked online for information about this and saw it is being sold as an all around hormone booster. I have not felt any signs of increased testosterone, I feel they are hard to miss Wink But maybe this is something girls high in androgens should have in mind.

I'm not an expert, Isabelle is the one to talk to, but as far as I know FG has no testosterone boosting action, it is an estrogen/prolactin booster ( and has an effect on insulin) as far as I know.

lol next time u see him maybe tell him to look at Tribulus instead, FG doesn't increase testosterone lol

Fenugreek is use to help promote lactation. When nursing mothers are having trouble producing milk or having inadequate milk their doctors would prescribe this to help produce more milk.

This is why many female use it to help gain breast size.

Do a google search on it. You will see what I am talking about.

Now here is a different view on fenugreek.
http://www.ageless-male.com/faq.aspx
Take a look at the ingredients for AgelessMale, a testerone booster. Fenugreek extract. Now the question is, if an extract boosts T, what happens when you take the whole herb? Interesting thought, no?

(14-07-2012, 12:54 PM)Wishful Wrote:  Now here is a different view on fenugreek.
http://www.ageless-male.com/faq.aspx
Take a look at the ingredients for AgelessMale, a testerone booster. Fenugreek extract. Now the question is, if an extract boosts T, what happens when you take the whole herb? Interesting thought, no?

Exactly Wishful. I should have put a link to what I was reading to show what I meant Wink

Have to admit this is the very first time I've heard of this effect from FG, extract or herb! EVERYTHING I've read, even on the bottles from Walgreens, describes it for Women's use (menopause, breast enhancement, etc). Thinking about it, I've heard varying stories about Saw Palmetto...that it is a T enhancer used primarily for enlarged prostrate. One explanation I saw for this was that the SP helps the prostrate by reducing T therefore reducing the reason for enlarged prostrate. SP is generally accepted as an anti-T (forgot the real name) or blocker.

I found a study that might shed some light on why that guy takes fenugreek. Those men that took 2 doses of 300 mg FG a day reported "improvements to their sexual desire, arousal and performance." Some men reported shorter recovery time after orgasm and better sex. However, these reportings were found NOT to be the result of increased testosterone. Instead, the blood samples of the study team found no significant changes in the evaluated hormones (testosterone and prolactin) and no significant hormonal differences between the two groups despite the notable jump in libido among the fenugreek group.

http://www.peakhealthadvocate.com/441/fe...ce-in-men/

Interesting that they found FG doesn't increase prolactin in men.. hope it does in women

(15-07-2012, 02:58 AM)Belly59 Wrote:  I've heard varying stories about Saw Palmetto...that it is a T enhancer used primarily for enlarged prostrate. One explanation I saw for this was that the SP helps the prostrate by reducing T therefore reducing the reason for enlarged prostrate. SP is generally accepted as an anti-T (forgot the real name) or blocker.

Sorry, but this is wrong and I need to correct you somewhat, for the sake of anyone else who may read it and get confused.

Saw Palmetto ( SP) is reportedly an anti-ANDROGEN and its function is to block the conversion of Testosterone (T) into Di-Hydro-Testosterone (DHT).
DHT is more potent than T and is responsible for many male secondary characteristics, such as body hair, male pattern baldness, sex-drive and prostate enlargement. This is why SP is taken for enlarged prostate, not because SP blocks T production.
A secondary effect is that by blocking the T -> DHT conversion, it leaves the excess T available for conversion to Oestrogens ( which happens naturally anyway and is the reason for body builders developing 'bitch-tits))

SP does NOT block the production of T itself and it would be counter-productive if it did.

Having said all that, speaking personally, SP seems to have little effect on me anyway.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon