Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

how much saw palmetto should i take?

how much saw palmetto should i take?
October 20 2008 at 6:14 PM
polly420 (Login polly420)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would like to take saw palmetto to help with my spots and oily skin but what dosage should i take while on wonderup.thanks x

Author Reply
Sally Anne
(Login sally.anne)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: how much saw palmetto should i take? October 21 2008, 9:26 AM

If you're taking SP extract you wouldn't need more than 1 or 2 capsules a day, and maybe only 1, especially if it's the 10:1 extract.

polly420
(Login polly420)
SENIOR MEMBER how much saw palmetto? October 21 2008, 1:36 PM

thanks sally anne i will take one a day and hope it works. x

polly420
(Login polly420)
SENIOR MEMBER 450 mg tabs saw palmetto October 21 2008, 1:39 PM

i have ordered puritans pride 450 mg saw palmetto should i take just one a day with my wu pills.? x

Holly
(Login DancingArianFlame)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: how much saw palmetto should i take? October 22 2008, 3:13 PM

it says on the bottle i have take 2 twice a day. you could open it up in hot water and drink it as well. right after massage would be best so it knows where to do its work.

polly420
(Login polly420)
SENIOR MEMBER saw palmetto October 23 2008, 2:32 PM

thanks holly ill take one a day to begin with then maybae ill add an other. iam hoping it will help with my outbreask of spots i was getting mostly on my chin i am hoping it could help me gain a little more weight too an the boobies lol. thanks.x

madboobie
(no login) Re: how much saw palmetto should i take? October 23 2008, 3:16 PM

I am taking 3 x 450mg per day, one each time I take the 2 wonderup tablets.

They do seem to have helped and I haven't got any fatter really or broken out in hideous cellulite.... yet!

Now on 3rd month of that regime and 11th month of b***** WU!

Good luck girl.

holly
(Login DancingArianFlame)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: how much saw palmetto should i take? October 23 2008, 4:46 PM

It says you breakout first but then your skin will be really clear thats nothing to worry about though almost all the time before something works for your sports you'll break out. and for the weight lose i think you should take 1 EPO a day too they help with weight loss aswell as icreasing breast size water, exsersise, cream, exfoliate! good luck Smile and epo you can get them for £2-3 in home bargain x for 180

polly420
(Login polly420)
SENIOR MEMBER saw palmetto October 24 2008, 2:14 PM

hi girls thanks for the feedback. i have started taking one a day then i mite try 2 i am trying to gain weight and since iv been on WU i have gained nearly 8lbs and im sure the WU helped sum how! i tryed to gain weight in the past with protien weight gain drinks but it would work slowly and was very hard work but the WU pills helped a lot prob chilled me out and i stoped WORRYING about my weight and breasts. it got to the point of a dramatic effect on my peroids they were 7 wwks apart stress and worry all because i was underweight and had lost my (a) cup because of breast feeding 5 years ago and having a fast metabolism was hell, my face is clearing up i bought this (acne getaway 101e lotion)about 10 days ago and i think this has helped a lot it is made with chinese herbs and i think its great i would recommend it to anyone. buy hey thanks again for the feedback x

Saw Palmetto
May 5 2006 at 4:53 PM
Janie (Login jpeters2)

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering how much SP the size AA's or smaller are taking? I am a loose 36AA and am taking a total of 1350 mg daily and am nearly 40 :-(

Thanks in advance
Janie

Lizzie
(Login LizzieT)
Re: Saw Palmetto
May 6 2006, 8:40 AM

Hi Janie
I'm between an A and AA cup and I'm 42. I've been taking saw palmetto extract 320mg once a day since Feb. I think maybe I'm not taking enough saw palmetto to balance testosterone as I've got really bad acne since starting my routine. I don't know how much you're taking, but I read on the BEBoard that it's OK to take 2000 - 3000mg of saw palmetto berries a day (that's herb, not extract). I notice that Sunset is taking 1620mg a day and I think I'm going to try taking the same amount. I'm sure she and the other girls can give you much more info, but I hope this helps a little bit!
Good luck - I know it can get you down, but I'm sure you will find a routine that works if you persevere.
Lizzie

Janie
(Login jpeters2)
May 6 2006, 9:49 PM

Thanks Lizzie,

Another pill will take me to 1800mgs,
Janie

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
May 6 2006, 9:53 PM

Janie, taking 320 mg of Saw Palmetto extract is worth a try, but you should not take more to start with. If you take the herb I would recommend to start at about 1500 mg a day and maybe ramp up to 2000 or 3000 a day depending on your progress. If you want to take the extract it may be worth buying 160 mg of extract so you can increase the amount you are taking to 320 mf if you feel that you need it.
It really all depends on your own body and what it needs to grow, slowly ramping up on the herbs can help you determine this.

Lizzie, what you read is right, it has been recommended for NBE to take up to 3000 mg of SP a day but since the extract is usually concentrated 10:1 you are probably already taking 3200 mg of herb a day.
I would not recommend taking more than that if you have not had any signs of elevated testosterone levels before starting on NBE. The phytoestrogens are what can cause acne as far as I know, so taking more Saw Palmetto won't counteract that.
Sunset is taking herb as far as I know (Sunset, please correct me if I am wrong) so she is only taking about half the dose of what you are taking at the moment.
Sorry if I understood you wrong, if you want to lower your dose then of course there isn't a problem :-).

Good luck growing to both of you, and everyone else of course,
Lisa

Janie
(Login jpeters2)
May 6 2006, 9:57 PM

Thanks Lisa,

I don't know whether to add another one or not. I have grown 1/4 inch (if you can measure that ) in 2 cycles. I don't know whether to add another fenugreek for this month either :0( I want to change, or partially change to fennel for the summer months

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
May 6 2006, 10:05 PM

Janie you are welcome, if you have grown I wouldn't really change anything, that sounds like really good progress, it does take time.
I don't think that switching to Fennel should do any harm, maybe take one more Fennel than you are taking Fenugreek just now.
We only ever find out what helps through experimenting, so try adding the extra Fenugreek or a Fennel instead next month and see how you go, the same goes for the SP, you can take a bit more, maybe 2000 mg or so, but you really don't have to if you feel you are driving well with that amount just now.
I have a growing phase during each cycle so if nothing happens then I usually know that I am doing something wrong. If that doesn't happen with you then just wait till the end of the month and compare the changes to before, but it really is an up and down process so don't get discouraged, you seem to be doing really well!!!
Take care and keep up the good growth,
Lisa

Janie
(Login jpeters2)
May 6 2006, 10:10 PM

Hi Lisa,

I don't know about the growing phase. I've never had luteal swelling or anything like that all my booby life :-) Last cycle I started itching a ciouple of days before my period which lasted on and off for 2-3 weeks. I started itching around the time my period started this month too so perhaps that's it, although I expected it all to happen the 2nd. half of my cycle!:-)

jellyboobs
(Login jellyboobs)
EVE MEMBERS
well done !!!!
May 7 2006, 7:45 AM

hey janie 1/4" is 1/4" right !!!! girl that is growth and all growth is GOOD !!!!! so congratulations love jelly....

Sherri
(Login Miss_Sherri)
EVE MEMBERS
May 8 2006, 5:31 AM

I have been taking 320 of SP and am doing great. I think you are taking way too much honey.

Anonymous
(Login jpeters2)
May 8 2006, 8:46 AM

Hi Sherri,

I'm taking herbs not extract

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
May 8 2006, 9:47 PM

Hi Janie, the itchiness sounds like it is your monthly sign, it is different for everyone so if you just watch that you can add another Fenugreek or SP and see how you go, if you feel more pains then that is a good sign and if not you know what you have to do. :-)
Good luck and keep up the growth, you are really doing well so don't stress it!
Lisa

Janie
(Login jpeters2)
May 8 2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks Lisa,

I might just add another fenugreek and see what happens. I can always drop it again :-) Next cycle I want to play around with Fennel too to try and get a happy medium between that and fenugreek. Fenugreek doesn't make me smell too bad but the hot summer is coming :-( Fennel has cost me £1 more per bottle than fenugreek :-(

Lizzie
(Login LizzieT)
May 8 2006, 10:35 PM

Thanks for that info Lisa. I've decided not to increase the saw palmetto after doing a bit more research and reading your post, but have got the fennel now and have started taking it in place of most fenugreek doses. Will let you know how it goes!
Janie, best of luck with the growing - it definitely seems to be a slow, up-and-down process but any growth is good Smile

Sherri
(Login Miss_Sherri)
EVE MEMBERS
May 9 2006, 3:18 AM

Oh, ok. sorry Janie, guess I missed that.

Anonymous
(no login)
May 15 2006, 3:13 AM

are herbs and berries the same? I'm confused. You can take more herb/berries than extract right? But I am taking a sp herb and my bottle says to take only one (320mg) a day. SO does that mean it's an extract?

Anonymous
(no login)
May 15 2006, 3:26 AM

ok, now I'm really confused. I looked on my bottle and it says saw palmetto extract and on the back it says berry extract? Someone please tell me the difference between the three: berries, extracts, and herbs.

Helen
(Login Helen_N)
EVE MEMBERS
To Anonymous
May 15 2006, 1:57 PM

Yes, you are taking a high strength (320mg) extract of Saw Palmetto, as you see you only need to take only 1 a day.

I was quite confused as well with this extract/herb issue at the beginning. My supplement is 36mg SP extract tablets (not capsules), but it states that it is "equivalent to 500mg of herb powder", and I can take 1 x3 times a day (i.e. the equivalent of 1500mg of herb powder). By the way does yours state any equivalence??

Now, SP is a berries plant, so you might also see it referred to as "berries" or even "fruit" (hence yours says "berries" extract, mine says "fruit" extract). The word herb other times refers to the whole herb in powdered form, i.e. loose powder, or in capsule form.

As for which form is better, extract or "whole plant" there are different opionions on this.
* With extracts, scientists identify one or more chemicals from the herb considered to be primarily responsible for specific effects or activities in the body. So, standardized extracts contain a consistent level of specific ingredients in every batch.
* On the other hand, whole herbs, unlike extracts, may have some variability in ratios of specific ingredients from batch to batch. Growing conditions, weather, soil composition and harvest date are some of the factors that can influence a whole herb profile, just as they can influence the nutritional composition of most foods. However, whole herbs do offer the benefit of delivering all of the ingredients found naturally as part of the herbs.

So we can have the herb in different, but equivalent forms: loose powder, powder in capsules, standardized extracts of the herb (in the case of SP, fruit or berries extract). At the end of the day you should not worry as long as you follow the respective bottle instructions in each case, and this automatically "takes care" of the equivalence for you, so that you can have the right daily intake.

Hope this clears things out a bit for you Smile

Helen xx

Lisa 121
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
May 15 2006, 1:57 PM

Hello Anon, the extract is made from the herb and the berries are just the berries. If it says extract on the bottle then you should take max 320mg and see how it goes.
If you buy the berries or whole herb than you can take more of it than if you take the extract.
Hope this clears it up?
Good luck,
Lisa

I need some opinions about Saw Palmetto please!
March 6 2006 at 12:01 AM Sunset (no login)

hey girls, I have a question, as you all probably know by now I'll be starting my routine very shorty. And with that comes some questions.
I am pretty sure about everything I am going to be doing, except for this:

The routine that I am following says that if you have testosterone levels, that I should take 2 saw palmetto caps 3xday.

There was a list to tell if you may have high testosterone and another to figure out if you have high estrogen.

The thing is, I only have maybe 2 "symptoms" of high testosterone and maybe 3 for high estrogen. So should I take 2 Saw palmetto at a time or just 1?

my "clues" to High Testosterone are my periods are not regular. And for high estrogen I do get a little moody around that time of month, a little more "sensitive" than useual. And I do get a little bloated sometimes.

So I dont know which one I would be catorgorized under. Is it possable my hormones ARE in balance, and its another reason I never "grew?"

Any how, my main question is, do you guys think I should take 1 saw palmetto 3xday or 2 of them 3xday?

Thank you in advance!

Steph
(no login)
Re: I need some opinions about Saw Palmetto please!
March 6 2006, 1:39 AM

SS-knowing u just from info in ur various posts I dont think u have ecxess male hormone levels,now slightly elavated Estrogen could be a possibility simpley b/c thats becoming the norm especially in our country due to different factors including our diets.

As far as how many SP caps to take,there so many diff forms and brands that I wouldnt want to even guess at this point so hopefully another member will:-)

Sunset
(no login)
oh crap
March 6 2006, 2:07 AM

I was really hopeing to get your opinion. WOuld it help if I told you the brand and the mg amount they are?
if it helps they are 540mg and natures finger print brand.

Please if anyone else has an opinion, I would like to hear it.
If not, I think that I will just start out taking 1 cap 3xper day.

I'm 105 pounds, 34A if that helps. Thank you!

Steph
(no login)
Sorry I'm DUMB with whole berry SP lol
March 6 2006, 2:23 AM

The only thing I can tell u is to go with the LOWER dose of the 2 choices u already do have down b/c again I do not think u have high male hormone issues.

Angela
(no login)
March 6 2006, 2:12 PM

I would say start off low, you can always up them if you need to but you don't want to stall. Before I switched to the extract I was taking 9 of the 160 mg a day but I had worked up to it. I started off with 3 then after about 2 weeks then I was up to nine. I only switched to the extract because there are so many darn pills you have to take and after awhile I got sick of taking so many. Let us know what you decide.

Angela

Sunset
(no login)
I'll just take 1
March 6 2006, 6:41 PM

3xday then instead of 2. If I find that I need more then I will up it later on in the routine. Thank you ladies for your input.

Angela
(no login)
I think that....
March 6 2006, 7:01 PM

might still be too much. I had forgotten that it was 540 mgs each. I would probably start out with one a day and see how it goes for a couple of days, then take 2, 1 morning and 1 night and go from there. Believe me you don't want to stall out right from the beginning. You can always go up but if you go too far then you have to go back down and wait for your rceptors to restart. Sorry for the misinfo, I had read too fast.

Angela

Sunset
(no login)
Angela
March 6 2006, 7:10 PM

ok- so then I should just probably take 1 cap 1 time a day then?
I think I will take your advice on that one.

SO do you think it would be ok to do it that way for 1 whole cycle, and then on cycle 2--I could add another one if needed?

Thank you for the support, It is REALLY helpfull.

P.S.
Just wanted to add that I went to the interview, but it was actually a test they gave me first. I feel like I aced it, and I handed it back in. They told me when the manager got back in she would be giving me a call back.
I feel really good about this now, wish me luck, I really need this job! =)

Angela
(no login)
I would
March 6 2006, 7:31 PM

just take one for a couple of weeks and then up it unless you are having pains and tingles, if you are then up it after your first cycle. And that is so cool about your interview.

Angela

TenderTaTas
(no login)
March 6 2006, 10:32 PM

Hey Sunset,

I agree you should stick with the lower dose to start. I had every intention of ramping up to 2 3X/day, but I just sort stuck with 1 3X/day because it seemed to be working. But a few days ago I started taking an extra one at bedtime (so 4/day) and I don't know if it's the SP or what, but I've been feeling a little dizzy/light-headed here and there. I've been waiting to see if it would pass, but hasn't. I'm going to give it one more try tonight and if I'm woozy again tomorrow I'll scale back to 1 3X/day.

Angela
(no login)
March 7 2006, 12:32 AM

TenderTaTas,
I would lower it back down. SP does have that effect. It's not doing you any good if it is making you feel bad and if you feel bad then you won't feel like doing anything you're supposed to do for this.

Angela

TenderTaTas
(no login)
March 7 2006, 12:58 AM

Yeah you're right, I will go back to just 3/day. I was doing fine without it anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Sunset
(no login)
Ok, thank you Angela and Tender
March 7 2006, 1:53 AM

after thinking about it for a while, I do tihnk I will only take one a day and see what happens. The closer I get to starting the more I begin to second guess myself. Where the rest of you like that in the beginning?

I seemed so sure of everything at first, and I have learned SO MUCH from ALL of you in the last little while. I thank you ALL for the support!

Angela
(no login)
March 7 2006, 2:03 AM

YES and even now, I have been doing this 9 months and I still have my doubts about things. I think we jsut want it to happen so bad that we get ourselves freaked out about it. I keep thinking if I jsut relax then I will grow better. It really does help to have everyone here to bounce things off of. What would we do without each other?! Smile

Angela

Sunset
(no login)
I know
March 7 2006, 2:16 AM

I am SOOOOOO glad I came across this forum...even more glad that everyone is nice and helpful and encouraging. You ladies are the best!

saw palmetto
August 6 2006 at 7:13 PM sarah (no login)

can anyone tell me how much saw palmetto you need to take each day, I am taking wonderup as well
thanks for your help
sarah
x

Sarah L
(no login)
Re: saw palmetto
August 7 2006, 8:47 AM

Im taking Wonderup and about 2 or 3 weeks ago i added Saw Palmetto (only one cap a day at the moment, i was going to increase but never got around to it) and amazingly for the first time i didnt have the usual shrinkage 5 days after my period. Of course it might just be coincidence but im hoping that i might be on the way to some real 'lasting' growth, now!

Oh yeah, the other thing that may have helped is i added L'Arginine/Ornithine first thing in the morning because im 39 soon and had read somewhere that it was good for the over 30's.

Good luck ;-)

sarah
(no login)
August 7 2006, 6:56 PM

Thank you for your reply, how much dosage is in one capsule and is there any particular brand I should take?
what does l'Arginine Ornithine do ? I am forty one.
thanks for your help
Sarah

Sarah L
(no login)
August 8 2006, 7:40 AM

Apparently it is something to do with HGH, human growth hormone which your body stops producing after the age of 30, you need it to grow boobs, these are amino acids which should help.

There is a lot of information from Lisa in the General Reference Page under the heading:-

Arginine \Ornithine\ Amino Acids Info

I personally added it because a lot of people on the forum said it helped kick start their programme, if you do a search for it you will see what i mean.

I bought the Body Fortress brand and I just checked and each capsule contains:
L-Arginine - 500mg
L-Ornithine - 250mg

I only take one at the moment but think i might increase to the recommended dose of two.

Hope that helps..., Sarah

sarah
(no login)
August 8 2006, 9:53 PM

I see you can get a dosage of 540mg of saw palmetto, this seems a huge amount is that correct, also where can I buy L-arginie and L-ornithine?
Tnaks for your help
sarah

Sarah L
(no login)
August 9 2006, 8:38 AM

Hi, regarding the L-Ornithine/Arginine, i bought mine from Holland and Barrett, but then i live in the UK. Not sure about other countries, i cant remember exactly what i paid but i dont think it was very expensive.

The SP i take is 450mg, the recommended dose on the bottle is 2 capsules twice a day, so as long as you dont exceed that im sure it safe. I only take one a day because i wanted to build up slowly, while things are happening for me i wont increase.
Cheers Sarah

sarah
(no login)
August 9 2006, 9:27 PM

I live in the UK so shall try Holland & Barrett has anyone tried hair vitalics, it has 300mg of saw palmetto, would saw palmetto still work mixed with other herbs?
sorry for asking another question I am just trying to buy the correct thing here.
Sarah

Solitaire
(Login solitairian)
August 10 2006, 8:24 AM

540mg of Saw Palmetto is not a huge amount. I think a typical amount taken is between 1g and 2g daily.

Green tea is a way better anti androgen than Saw Palmetto .

Saw Palmetto decreases your dehydrotestosterone but augments your normal testosterone .

Green tea decreases your dehydrotestosterone and your normal testosterone .

Green tea is easier to obtain , cheaper and more effective .

One pot of Green tea a day is enough to bring your T down to female ranges .

saw palmetto?
December 8 2007 at 7:37 PM britney (no login)

Hi my name is Britney. I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a herb called Saw Palmetto. I know it's used for prostate problems, but I hear it can help women, by enlarging the breasts? I'm 16 years old, 5'6, about 120lbs, and I'm only a 34A. I haven't noticed any growth for a few years and I could really use some advice on what to do. Has anyone tried this herb and had any success with it? And could anyone explain what the extract is, as I think it would affect the amount of saw palmetto I have to take?

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
Re: saw palmetto?
December 8 2007, 9:45 PM

Hi Britney,

Saw palmetto is for reducing testosterone - you probably only need this if you have acne / male pattern body hair / facial hair, and if you do have these things you should get checked for polycystic ovaries. Saw palmetto also risks weight gain and cellulite.

At your age it's a gamble as to whether you've definitely finished developing. Personally I haven't grown much in height since I was 11 and boobs since about 12-13. I did grow a little bit more age 17 on microgynon contraceptive. If you haven't finished developing herbs could prevent you natural development as they are weaker than your own hormones but will take up space in the receptors in the body tissues preventing your own hormones from being used. If you have finished developing your choices are herbs / suction / massage + foods / peuraria mirifica (another herb but very strong - probably should wait until you're 18-21) / bovine ovary (carries low risk of BSE and is literally powdered cow's ovary which sounds a bit nasty - last resort / implants.

Suction should work if you're very diligent and willing to put in a lot of hours long term, it also gives swelling so you can pump your boobs up (you will need less hours to get swelling as your body adapts). Massage is good with everything except suction and stimulates the breasts and improves circulation (and can also grow the size of the lobes which would store milk if you were pregnant which may give some increase in breast size). Herbs work well for some people and not at all for others - beware most breast growth pills which are expensive and contain very little of anything. The most used product here is wonderup (you can find info about this on the reference page). It comes from Europe so you will have to pay £75 + international shipping for 3 months and it will probably take at least 3 months to notice any change never mind totally finish with it - some people notice growth in a few weeks, some people use for months with no change, there was also one person who did grow but didn't start growing for 11 months so difficult where to assume it's not working.

Herbs affect people differently in terms of weight gain / weight loss / bloating / irregular periods / headaches / dizzyness / acne / better skin etc in the same way some people get on better with contraceptive pills than others. Read through some stuff on the newbie page + reference pages to get an idea of where you want to go or if you'd rather wait a bit. Increasing protein in your diet to be 30% of your daily calorie intake, drinking 2 litres of water and taking omega oil supplements should help with any method you try. Rather than describing everything you could try I'll leave you to do some reading and you can post specific questions when you know what you want to do....also have a look through old posts as often if you just ask a question like "what herbs should I take?" or "I'm new where do I start?" everyone will ignore it as people keep asking the same things....good luck x

britney
(no login)
December 9 2007, 9:55 PM

Wow Louise thank you for all of that information I really appreciate it! I do have excessive body hair so I was hoping that Saw Palmetto would straighten that out and help with increasing my breast size. I'm not to familiar with all of these products and methods, so I will look through old posts and see if I can find other answers to my questions. Also, I would go get tested for a hormonal imbalance, but my mom gets all worked up when I try talking to her about these things so I dont know who to go to =[

But thank you again for your help.

If anyone has anymore input about this please let me know!

Thanks.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
December 10 2007, 6:24 PM

Hi Britney,

You should definitely see a gynaecologist or endocrinologist about the body hair because it could be a sign of hormonal problems. Mine gave me metformin (anti-diabetic tablet, because polycysticovaries risks diabetes in future) and Dianette contraceptive to reduce testosterone. This improved the body hair in a couple of months - I waxed it and a lot less grew back. Dianette is bad for you in terms of risk of blood clots though so discuss this with a doctor. If you're young and healthy, non-smoker, with no family history of vascular problems then should be ok.

Do you get acne / bad period pain / pain at ovulation / back pain / put on weight around the waist?

All these are signs of polycystic ovaries. I first went to the doctor about bad period pains when I was 15 but didn't get a diagnosis until I went somewhere more expensive aged 25!

hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
December 10 2007, 6:51 PM

Having symptoms of PCOS doesn't necessairly mean one has it though right, like period pains lots of girls get and the acne but it doesn't mean they have it? I know we talked about this before, but I still haven't gone in to get tested for it or anything... If you have PCOS does this mean you won't be able to have kids? I often think about and fear that when the times comes I will definitely be someone who can't have any...

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
December 10 2007, 10:05 PM

When I say period pains I sometimes had to take a day off school / work the day I came on and I had abdominal, back and knee pains that I'd been going to the doctor for years over. I had pains at the time of ovulation, a week - week and half before my period then for the whole week of menstruation. My cycle was long, about 4-5 weeks between periods which were light but over about 10 days, I was 30 lbs heavier, had acne, got sideburns and was beginning to get chest hair, I also was a total PMT monster. The pill fixed this 95% in about 3-6 weeks so I knew it was a hormonal problem. PCO deosn't mean you can't have kids (MomXseven has PCO + endometriosis and has 7 kids!), but you are less feritle as a lot of PCO women don't ovulate (the eggs don't release properly and become cystic), more prone to miscarriage and low milk yield. The studies done with fertility drugs + metformin look amazing though - I think more than 50% women got pregnant first month. PCOS is the syndrome consisting of all the above symptoms +/- actual ovarian cysts, also usually includes high testosterone, low SHBG (protein which should bind testosterone thus inactivating it), FSH/LH ratio of either 1:2 or 2:1 (can't remember which way round) and insulin resistance which is where your body makes insulin then ignores it so excess sugar converts to testosterone and risks type 2 diabetes. Definitely have a scan if you have these sot of symptoms but you can have the syndrome without any actual cysts so if you get a negative scan push for some blood tests - my doctor gave me painkillers and antibiotics and that was it. I suspected a hormonal problem and asked for the pill saying I wanted it for contraception.

britney
(no login)
December 11 2007, 12:20 AM

I dont have bad acne and I'm quite thin, but I do think I have alot more hair then I should have, my arms expecially. I have hair all over and by that I mean ALL over(stomach, back, chest, etc.) but it's blonde, just like peach fuzz, but it's a little more than that. I've had a sharp pain in my lower back for the longest time which only effects me when I'm laying down, or bending over. I dont know if that's the type of back pain your talking about. I've had bad mentrual cramps to the point where I'm in tears, but that's not too frequent. I still dont know how I'm gonna convince my mom to take me to get a hormone test. Like I said she gets angry when I try talking to her about this stuff, just telling me nothings wrong. But I'll give it another try.

Also, If I do take the Saw Palmetto pills, will that have any negative effect on me expecially with my age and can I still take the ones labled for men?. I really think I am done growing, I havent grown anything for the past 2 years. Sometimes I feel like they're just getting smaller.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
December 11 2007, 12:22 AM

Oh okay, I don't think I've had such severe symptoms in the past but this is all good info to keep in mind, thanks dear Smile

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
December 11 2007, 7:18 PM

If it's just saw palmetto on the ingredients then it's fine if it's labelled for men (it's meant to be for prostrate problems + male pattern baldness!). I'd try booby food + extra protein + massage + omega oils before you try anything hormonal. Also some people get weight gain / cellulite from saw palmetto so personally I never tried it, some people have found pumpkin seeds or stinging nettle root (important it's the root not the leaf) instead, spearmint tea is also supposed to be good.

With the saw palmetto I think the extract you asked about is like concentrated juice from the berries. See if you can find the extract strength of any particular product and that will give you the equivalent amount of whole berry, so then you can clearly see how much you're taking.

In terms of body hair, what you have doesn't sound so bad as long as it's blonde, I've always had that blonde fluff but started getting a few dark manly hairs and went straight to the doctor! Google 'hisutism' if you want to find out what problem hair growth looks like.

britney
(no login)
December 16 2007, 3:20 AM

Ok I'll try the boobie foods and massage before I try any pills, however I havent seen any saw palmetto pills besides the ones used for men. Is there any certain technique in the massaging that can help?

& I looked up that hair syndrome thing in google & woah I dont have anywhere as close to that. So thats one less worry for me!

Thank you again ladies!

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
December 16 2007, 4:57 PM

Have a look at the GY Help thread at the top of the massage page, also the Pansyclub massage technique at the front of the forum and Tigerlily / Fengshui's personal program pages. Also a few months ago there was a thread "Tigerlily - rephrasing of your massage technique" if you look back through past posts or use the search to find it.

Sarah
(no login)
December 18 2007, 8:26 AM

I have been taking saw palmetto as one of the herbs in my program. But I just realized there are saw palmetto berries and saw palmetto extract. What's the difference and which one should I take and how much? Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
December 18 2007, 6:14 PM

I think the extract is like concentrated juice from the berries so it should be the same stuff. See if you can find the extract strength, they are often 4:1 but I have some that are 10:1 and 15:1. Once you know this you can divide your intended dose by that number to find how much extract you need. E.g. if you wanted to take 1000mg and it was 4:1 extract you would only need 250mg of extract (roughly 250ml).

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon