Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Crohns disease

I really haven't altered my diet that much. I avoid spicy foods or anything that is deep fried. I am working on cutting out dairy. I have switched to soy milk but I have been incredibly hungry for dairy and it has been difficult. I have also tried to eat smaller meals and see if that helps. I have also been keeping lots of fresh, healthy foods in the house to eat for dinner even when I prepare something else for my family.
From the research I've done on the internet I have tried to follow a low residue diet and have incorporated more salads, veggies and lean protein. It is actually the most healthy I have eaten in a while so that is a positive.
I hope this answers your question. I will know more about what kind of diet I am to follow after my appt on Tuesday.

How did the appointment go?

the appointment was alright. I was a little upset because I was supposed to have cut fiber out of my diet for the few weeks after my diagnosis but no one told me. I was also told there is no need to alter my diet unless I have a flare up. I am just to take the medicine for the rest of my life. I explained to her that I wanted to control it by diet but she said that was not an option. I did, however, talk to the guy that owns my gym. he has a nutrition degree and has agreed to meet with me to discuss this. He told me that it can be controlled by how I eat so now I am just waiting to hear what he has to say and will decide where to go from there. I'm not sure what I have such an aversion to taking the meds. I guess b/c I feel there is just too much they don't know about a lot of these treatments. It fixes one thing and destroys another and they have no idea. I keep hearing about all of these women who took antidepressants while they were pregnant and a good number of their infants were born with heart defects. I guess I just want to be in control. Maybe I am just a control freak. 8)
On the nbe side of things, I think I may have grown another 1/4". tomorrow if my actual measuring day so we'll see. I added in MSM yesterday as well.

I definitely agree that Crohn's Disease can be controlled by diet, especially with supplements that control oxidative stress and inflamation. And why in the flaming heck is anyone telling you to cut out fiber in your diet? That is lunacy. In fact, if it were me I would say that it is quackery.

I hope you will keep me informed. Hang in there!

Wahaika

I will be sure to keep you updated. I have a friend who has very severe Crohns disease and she had to cut fiber out of her diet for a very long time. I'm not even sure what a person would eat, to be honest. She was down to skin and bones. I think inititally they are trying to get your bowel inflammation down so they have you do that because fiber makes you go to the bathroom. I find the whole thing very strange and as soon as I get a chance I decided I am going to investigate into some good books on Crohns disease. The thing that makes me mad is that I flat out told her I wasn't happy with the treatment and she didn't even work with me on it. I understand that is the way they are trained but I thought they would set me up with a dietician or something. Thanks so much, its nice to vent about this. Not many other people seem to understand why I feel this way.

I had it in my head that I had already replied to this thread but discovered I hadn't and feel terrible since this is kind of my area. I come from a family of crohns and colitis. I lucked out and only got IBS . Anyway several years back I found a product that put my family in remission for the first time in their lives. It's probiotics but not the stregth you would find in stores. With autoimmune illnesses you need very large doses of it. This company ships it in a cooler on ice for free so the bacteria will survive transport. It's 52 dollars for a bottle of 60 but if your crohns is mild one a day will probably help though in the beginning you may need more . This company makes this especially for crohns and colitis patients no script needed. It may work for you as well as it did for us. VSL#3

Mel

P.S. I'm also a user of it because it makes a huge diff in my IBS, so I'm not suggestion something I haven't used myself.

Thanks so much for the info! This is the kind of stuff I need to hear about. This was never even mentioned to me by the doc. I will look into it. thanks so much!

If you don't respond to the probiotics there is also a tea you can buy on ebay called yerba mate if I remeber right. It's an anti imflamatory for the intestines and works great on colitis and crohns also. I'd try the probiotics I mentioned above first though.

Mel

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon