Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Does hops inhibit testosterone, and if so, how?

I was told that hops inhibits testosterone, and that this might cause issues for some people (the most powerful estrogen, estradiol, is made from testosterone). As long as hops does not lower total testosterone, as opposed to lowering "free" testosterone, I don't see what the problem is. Of course, maybe it does something else to testosterone that I hadn't even thought of. Researching it was hard because it brought up way too many poorly written, jokey, tongue in cheek articles about how beer causes erectile issues, lol.

I just realized that what I wrote doesn't make much sense unless you know what my new program is. What I meant is that if hops lowers free testosterone by raising shbg, than it's probably irrelevant, since Im taking wild oat extract which binds to shbg, essentially deactivating it. As a side note, I also feel compelled to point out that Im not a male looking to avoid ED (lmao Big Grin ) Im a female trying to avoid accidentally lowering my estradiol. Maybe Im imagining things, but I thought my first post implied otherwise. Oops Blush

Hi Mochaccino,

Hops only decreases testosterone if you take a lot of it, and stall. Stay below 3,000 mg a day.

How does it lower testosterone? I'm still sorta confused.

Hi Mochaccino,

The anterior pituitary gland keeps the total amount of sex hormones constant. So if estrogens go up because of hops, testosterone goes down.

The way this happens is like this: the anterior pituitary gland measures the total amount of sex hormones: testosterone + DHT + estrogens + progesterone. Because the hops digests to 8-prenylnaringenin, which binds to estrogen receptors, the anterior pituitary gland measures a higher amount of estrogens. Because the total has increased, the gland decreases Luteinizing Hormone (LH), so the ovaries start producing less hormones. So testosterone goes down, along with the others, except for estrogens, because you keep adding hops. If you add too much hops, estrogens will go down too. This is called stalling.

There are ways to avoid this happening:

1) taking an anti-androgen to lower DHT.

2) cycling hops, or taking it only once a day.

3) taking maca, to make testosterone regardless of low LH.

I just found out that the xanthohumol in hops binds to testosterone receptors. Apparently thats what was meant by "inhibit". To me that seems to imply that hops should actually be androgenic at low doses, but Ive never heard of such a thing. Does "binding" to a receptor always mean that the receptor is "activated", so to speak, or can a receptor really be simply blocked? Is hops ever androgenic? What does this all mean? Im so confused, lol. To add to my confusion, I recently heard that beer lowers testosterone in men, but raises it in women. Beer contains vanishingly small amounts of xanthohumol, and hops is not the only (or possibly even the primary) reason why beer effects horomone levels. In other words, the whole beer issue might not even have anything to do with hops, but it is confusing. *sigh*

Hi mochccino,

The xanthohumol binds to 5α-reductase too, so testosterone cannot become DHT. This is an anti-androgen effect, which cancels the other.

(30-12-2011, 12:54 AM)mochaccino Wrote:  I just found out that the xanthohumol in hops binds to testosterone receptors. Apparently thats what was meant by "inhibit". To me that seems to imply that hops should actually be androgenic at low doses, but Ive never heard of such a thing. Does "binding" to a receptor always mean that the receptor is "activated", so to speak, or can a receptor really be simply blocked? Is hops ever androgenic? What does this all mean? Im so confused, lol. To add to my confusion, I recently heard that beer lowers testosterone in men, but raises it in women. Beer contains vanishingly small amounts of xanthohumol, and hops is not the only (or possibly even the primary) reason why beer effects horomone levels. In other words, the whole beer issue might not even have anything to do with hops, but it is confusing. *sigh*

Isabella has a much better idea of the effects of hops than I but I can address the receptor binding question.

All, and I mean literally all, cells in the body have receptors embedded in the cell membrane. This is how the cell communicates with it's environment and how cell processes are affected by the environment. There is a new branch of biological sciences called epigenetics that is exploring the seemingly heretical idea that the real "brain" of the cell is the cell membrane studded with myriad receptor molecules, not the nucleus with it's DNA.

Molecules that trigger activity within the cell (called a ligand) have very specific receptors they bind with, and any molecule that closely matches the shape and molecular configuration of the real hormone can trigger the receptor as well. It is also possible for 'antagonist' molecules to bind to a receptor without triggering any activity within the cell.

Locks and keys are a good analogy. For any lock, only keys of a certain shape will even fit in the keyhole. If a key doesn't have the correct shape, it won't go in and therefore has no effect. Testosterone doesn't affect estrogen receptor molecules and vice versa.

However, keys of the correct shape will slide in, but if the number and size of the 'teeth' on the key aren't exactly right it still won't turn the lock, or have an effect. But now there is something already in the keyhole, and even though it's not creating an effect, it prevents the real key from doing it's job. Thus, we say that it is 'antagonistic' to the real key in that it prevents the real key from having it's usual effect.

This analogy breaks down a bit since some receptors are not so specific in what will trigger them, while others are highly specific in that only one molecule can ever trigger the receptor. Estrogen receptors apparently accept a class of molecules with varying degrees of effectiveness; for instance phytoestrogens have a weak estrogenic effect compared to estradiol but they do have an effect. The strength of an antagonist is thought to be dependent on the affinity of the antagonistic ligand to bind with and occupy the receptor preventing the real ligand from doing its job. Some antagonists bind very strongly and don't release very readily and others bind only weakly and release easily. It all depends on the molecular configuration and conformation of the receptors and ligands.

This part of biochemistry is fascinating, cutting edge stuff. I hope this wasn't overly technical and helps you understand how this all works.

Thank you chrishoney,

This is very clear. It certainly helps me understand the estrogen receptor better Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon