Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Is it good or bad to lower SHBG?

Really Ive been wondering if the wild oat extract ive been taking might be sabotaging my program. I also take a small amount of fish oil. Bith fish oil and wild oat lower SHBG, but Im not completely sure whether this is a good or bad thing. I think it may partly depend on the other elements of your program but I cant remember the details, and I may be entirely wrong. Help! I hope I haven't been wasting my pills for the last 3 weeks by taking the oat extract.

Hi mochaccino,

If your programs depends on aromatase to make estrogens from testosterone, lowering SHBG is useful. SHBG binds free testosterone, which makes it inaccessible for aromatase.

SHBG binds DHT too, so you'll break out if SHBG becomes too low. Use flax to increase SHBG. Eve M used about equal amounts of flax and oats.

Thanks. That's what I thought and thats why I included it, but Im still unsure, especially about the dose. Ive been taking the dose recommended on my bottle, which is 1500mg, but its marketed for male libido and Im worried the dose might be way to high for my purposes. How does this compare to the amount in Eve's program or your own? I think I remember you mentioning something once about how the dose of oats needed to be proportional to the dose of some other herb in your program. I think it was hops or something. If you have any idea what Im talking about, and you think it's relevant, maybe you can fill me in.

I'm still working on this myself. Eve took 1,000 mg flax and 800 mg oats. I started out at very high doses, but now I'm aiming for 3,000 mg:
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=8419&pid=41127#pid41127
The comparison I made with hops is just to correct for the different amounts of phyto-estrogens in different herbs. I want to stay away from the stalling dose of flax.

The one that really needs to be proportional to oats is flax. Flax increases SHBG, as does age, so I take equal amounts, instead of more flax, like Eve. You need to correct for the fish oil.

Taking only oats or only flax swings SHBG around too much. This is my third experiment with flax and oats already, it takes quit a bit of tuning. My reasoning is like this: I take the flax as a phyto-estrogen, so I align the dose with hops for equal amounts of phyto-estrogens. But then the flax increases SHBG, so I take an equal dose of oats, to lower SHBG.

If I get too much SHBG, my growth will slow, because there will be no free testosterone for aromatase to make estrogens from. If SHBG becomes too low, it will not bind DHT, so I may break out or lose hair. It takes time to change the SHBG level, so these are slow experiments.

Hi Isabelle,

Are you saying if SHBG is too high or too low it will effect NBE, hairloss, acne and whatever else..what makes it go up other then what you have mentioned and whatelse lowers it other then what you mentioned..maybe that is my problem too..I read even progesterone can up it or was lower it..cant rememberDodgy

Hi Susan,

Soy and flax increase SHBG, and oats decrease it. I don't know any others.

Hi Isabelle,

do both: flax seed oil (with lignans) and flax seed oil (without lignans) increase SHBG, or is it just the former, that does?

Hi Nila,

As far as I know, only flax seed in the diet were tested. I don't know which oil is better to increase SHBG.

SHBG? Could someone please explain what that is and what you are talking about in more depth, I can sort of figure it out but I think I am having the same problem but don't understand it.

(22-07-2013, 07:58 AM)gogirlanime Wrote:  SHBG? Could someone please explain what that is and what you are talking about in more depth, I can sort of figure it out but I think I am having the same problem but don't understand it.

SHBG is sex hormone binding globulin. It's primary purpose is to make excessive sex hormones inert, and it's order of preference is free testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, estradiol, estriol, estrone. Doesn't even touch progestins. Instead your body generally attempts to break excess progesterone down into other hormones, depending on what the balance is... If you introduce excessive progestins to your body, which do NOT break down, well, that's part of why progestins are nasty buggers.

What they WERE talking about was really quite fascinating science. You do realize you necroposted to a nigh two year old thread, right?

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon