Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Mixing Chasteberry (vitex-agnus castus) with BO?

Mixing Chasteberry (vitex-agnus castus) with BO?
December 12 2006 at 3:42 PM 3monkeysmom (Login 3monkeysmom)
EVE MEMBERS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning everyone!

Question for anyone: Would there be a problem mixing chasteberry with BO?

Last week, I took a break from all supplements except a multi., watched my diet, and lost 4.5 lbs. Yippee! This past Sunday, starting getting the wonderful cramps that are a forewarning of my period. I started taking my handful of pills last night and tossed in a chasteberry. When I had emailed BB, the only herb that I specifically remember being told to stay away from is fenugreek. Would love to not become a total witch the week before and during my period, BUT don't want to stall out either. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

Author Reply
emmie
(Login emmiedee) not sure... December 12 2006, 5:30 PM

i remember reading that you arent supposed to take it with birth control, so i guess the question there is WHY you shouldnt take it with birth control... depends on how it interacts. im not really sure. the bb people or fawn on the beboard might be able to help you out...

anyone have anything useful to say (unlike me)?

hugs to everyone!!

michelle choi
(Login chelle_choi)
SENIOR MEMBER chasteberry with bo December 12 2006, 7:27 PM

I agree with emmie about the birth control part...but, as far as with bo it should be fine, Wonderbride started taking the chasteberry with bo..can't remember when she started taking it, but she did grow 3/4 inch still on it last month with the bo. I recently started taking it also..only 100mg for days 1-14 of my cycle, just started it though the beginning of this month.

Good luck everyone!

Edit Message Delete Message

Anonymous
(Login 3monkeysmom)
EVE MEMBERS not on birth control December 12 2006, 8:26 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, Ladies! Not sure where the birth control part came from, as I'm not on birth control. Shouldn't need it! ;-) Just didn't want to cause negative side effects if I started the chasteberry routine with the BB pills. Haven't checked out wonderbride's routine recently. I will after I post this reply...

Michelle, you said that you only take it on days 1-14 of your cycle. Is there a particular reason why only part of your cycle and not continuously? (I realize that you said you haven't been on it very long) I did read somewhere in all of the zillions of posts that someone said it wasn't good to be on chasteberry for over 6 months...Can't seem to remember where or why, but maybe if a person took a month long break and then started up again, they might be ok? Just a thought...

Thank you for your help and encouragement.

michelle choi
(Login chelle_choi)
SENIOR MEMBER chasteberry December 12 2006, 9:07 PM

I think emmie was just mentioning the birth control bit...just 'in case' you were on birth control, since it's always good to know if something will interfere with the effectiveness of bc or not. Smile

I'm just taking the vitex on days 1-14 cause I had read that over on the beboard...where someone who's very knowledgeable with the whole nbe thing, suggested if someone was going to use chasteberry then they suggested to only do it during days 1-14 of the cycle, if any at all. I know progesterone levels are the lowest during that time..and so I was just analyzing it thinking since estrogen levels are the highest during days 1-14, then maybe with the vitex during those days I could balance the two out....just my own silly theory or experimentation if you will. Smile I didn't want to take it on days 15-28 when progesterone is the highest and increase the levels further during those days with the chasteberry.

yeah i saw where it's not suggested to take more than 6 months at a time...I would think it would be okay to take a month break from it after that, and maybe at the same time of the break do a cleanse??

Breast wishes!!

3monkeysmom
(Login 3monkeysmom)
EVE MEMBERS thanks to Emmie & Michelle! December 13 2006, 1:11 AM

Thanks for the explanations from both of you! Just when I think that this whole nbe thing is starting to make sense, then another curve ball is thrown! This week, unfortunately, I might be a little dumber than normal, so if I accidently offend anyone, I apologize in advance!!!

Bountiful Blessings to All!

wonderbride
(Login wonderbride)
SENIOR MEMBER Mixing Chasteberry (vitex-agnus castus) with BO? December 13 2006, 1:37 AM

Hi 3monkeysmom,

I'm happy for you that you lost some weight. Saw on you program that you were having problems with weight recently. Gotta cut out the sodas and anything with high fuctose corn syrup in it. Pretty much all sodas, fruit drinks, sports drinks, have it. It is also in many baked goods, and processed foods. Anything that's packaged or comes in a box. Fortunately some manufacturers are changing to no trans fat/hydrogenated oils and no high fructose corn syrup. It is still in most of the foods sold in grocery stores. The body can not digest it/use it very well and stores it as fat. I read the ingredient list of everything I buy. Anything with high fructose corn syrup, artificial sugar, hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils in it, I just don't buy it.

I started taking Vitex on July 27th and it's been more than 4 months. I tell you, it works great for PMS. My last cycle I didn't have any PMS at all! From what I have researched, it also helps with PMS water retention, abnormal menstrual cycle, Infertility, and menopause. I don't think it interferes with BO. It has helped me to balance my hormones and I'm in much better mood these days. It does take a while to see results for PMS. Usually after 3-6 months.

Vitex does not contain hormones. The benefits of vitex stem from its actions upon the pituitary gland—specifically on the production of a hormone called luteinizing hormone (LH). This indirectly increases progesterone production and helps regulate the menstrual cycle. Vitex also keeps prolactin secretion in check. The ability to decrease mildly elevated prolactin levels may benefit some infertile women as well as some women with breast tenderness associated with premenstrual syndrome (PMS).

As far as how long to take it. I've read form 4-6 months or sometimes up to a year or longer. Side effects of using vitex are rare. Minor gastrointestinal upset and a mild skin rash with itching have been reported in less than 2% of the women monitored while taking vitex. I believe it can help NBE also. Did a bit more searching on Vitex today on the net and here are some websites with info. to read more about it.

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Art...tkin23.htm

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Herb/Vitex.htm

http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Me...s/h211.htm

Good luck, you're on the right track on getting rid of the witch Smile And growing bigger boob of course Smile happy fast boobie growing wishes to ya!

"Adopt the pace of nature: Her secret is patience" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

organic_angel
(Login organic_angel) giving "hot flash" friend the boot December 13 2006, 3:38 AM

Well, it seems unanimous about vitex balancing hormones. That's the reason I added it to my beginning routine, and may keep it in the mix. It will help me balance my estrogen/progestin, and if I can give ol' "hot flash" the boot, boy happy days. Has anyone found a concensus on a relatively strong and effective dose, that not only helps all those PMS/menopause symptoms, but assists with nbe?

My poor husband would love to go to sleep without 4 fans blowing from all sides of the bed. No exagerration there either. No fans...no sleep...or naughty-naughty either. So he obliges like a good husband and endures the constant hurricane strength winds. Wink

Organic Boobie Blessings to All

3monkeysmom
(Login 3monkeysmom)
EVE MEMBERS Thank you for all your replies, Ladies! December 13 2006, 5:25 PM

I appreciate the help!

wonderbride: started aerobic exercise this morning and am completely out of Pepsi. Gotta quit that stuff! Aaaggh! I looked up the sites you listed last night and found them very interesting. I'll keep the vitex in the routine and try to be a "happier" person for 2 weeks out of the month! Smile Also appreciate the dietary advice.

emmie & michelle: you're both an inspiration and encouragement. Thank you!

organic_angel: Category 4 or 5 hurricane!?! Hope the vitex helps you AND your hubby!

Have a wonderful day everyone and bountiful blessings to all!

emmie
(Login emmiedee) that will teach me... December 13 2006, 5:39 PM

i was eating while on the computer so i got distracted and didnt explain myself... let me put down my snacks and pay attention a little!

the reason i mentioned that it interacts with bc is because if it interacts with that there may be a reason why and that reason may be an indicator that it would affect bo... after all, this is ovary that we are eating, so if it does something with the ovary that makes bcp less effective, maybe it would affect the bo? just a thought that i had about it. i have absolutely no scientific explanation to back that up...

i should just go back to eating and reading...

hugs, bo buddies!

wonderbride
(Login wonderbride)
SENIOR MEMBER Hi everyone! December 13 2006, 9:02 PM

Oganic Angel,
You are too funny with the 4 fans...Smile Although it's not funny in reality when you have to go to those measures. I also had mild hot flashes from the hysterectomy but not bad enough to use fans on me. According to my OB GYN he said the uterus produces 1/3 of the estrogen for the body and since our uterus is removed, we may experience mild hot flashes like menopause. Since we are not in menopause yet, our ovaries still produce estrogen and release an egg every month as usual and our bodies still go through a cycle every month. Good luck with the vitex. I started out taking 3 a day after meals. I look the Nature's way brand. I don't remember what is the mg per capsule. I'm taking the NSI brand now and on the bottle it says to take 2 caps twice a day. 2 caps =800mg so 1600 mg per day.
It's not a fast cure. so give it time. Smile

3monkeysmom,
You are very welcome, welcome to the "happy ladies club". LOL...

Stay healthy everyone and fast boobie growing wishes to all. Smile

organic_angel
(Login organic_angel) fans...i'm ready for dry ice! December 14 2006, 11:29 AM

I'm hoping Vitex will cool my furnace fire, that's for sure. After my hyst, they also partially resected 1 ovary. I have 1 and a %. I also never had regular periods, ever. So my hormones have been haywire for quite some time. Had my hyst in 91'. Your ovaries produce estrogen; progestin; testosterone. With the percentages being in that same order. Estrogen-most; progestin-medium; testosterone-little. As your ovaries function less optimally with aging, your hormones decline, with the same rate of ratio. So you may have little estrogen kicking out BUT, if you have almost no progestin or zero progestin kicking out, this actually puts you in estrogen dominance. Once again, that elusive thing called balance.

This has been what's happening to me for some years now. Mix into the equation, that I've taken every hormonal mimicking nbe pill known to mankind, I've put myself into complete estrogen overload. I'd also like to share what my naturopath has explained to me about that. Perimenopause is much more volitale then full-entrance into menopause. WHY? During peri, your hormones spike almost daily. 1 day your estrogen may be sky-rocketing; the next day estrogen has left the building. The spikes can last for up to a yr. This is also why, when you see statistics of all the various nbe pills out there, they say that this age range (usually 35-55) takes longer to respond. It's because their hormones are up one day/down the next/nowhere to be found after that/ oops, they're back. So, this is why it's sooooooo hard for women of this age bracket to have success with those type of pills. This is why I decided for my comeback routine, to go with BO. It compliments the ovaries, which produces ALL the needed hormones, and the ovaries know in what ratio to kick them out.

As for the fans.....I'm ready for dry ice to be delivered nightly! It's funny, because I actually have remote controls for my fans (they are stand-up), and I can lay there and turn them and adjust their speed. Then I'll get all cozy, actually pull comforters over myself...fall asleep.....then WHAM!....all systems go again. Where are my remotes...Hopefully my homeopathic testosterone will put me back into a more manageable range here shortly, or my husband is going to have to wear his long-underwear to bed Wink

Organic Boobie Blessings to All

jellyboobs
(Login jellyboobs)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Mixing Chasteberry (vitex-agnus castus) with BO? December 14 2006, 2:38 PM

organicccc angel, have you tried remifemmin ? Ive fouynd it fantastic for hot flushes and mood swings !!! thank God theres someone to talk to about menopause lol..... love jellyDeeee....

wonderbride
(Login wonderbride)
SENIOR MEMBER Hi Organic Angel! December 15 2006, 2:17 AM

Thank you for the info on perimenopause and menopause. It sure is good to know what is happening to our bodies as we get older. The more we know the better we can adapt and have a smooth transition. Relly appreciate it! Hope everything you're taking will balance out the hormones fast and soon. This perimonopause thing is worst than I thought. You are on you way to better health and growing some boobs. Keep up the good work. Smile

Aloha & best wishes with everything

organic angel
(Login organic_angel) Re: Mixing Chasteberry (vitex-agnus castus) with BO? December 15 2006, 6:27 AM

Jelly: No I haven't heard of Remifemmin. Is there a site I can pull up the ingredients?
I would love to rid myself of Mr Heat Miser, but I am trying very diligently to
rid myself of my estrogen dominance, and balance these gosh darn hormones out. I
am saving to have a hormone panel done after the holidays.

Wonderbride: Oh yes, perimenopause is such a tempermental "friend" indeed. I'm sure that
since I had my hyst in 91 and they also did a partial ovary resection, that
my perimenopause started then, just sssssllllloooooowwww and agonizing. I
also believe now that this is why I was unsuccessful in all my other
routines, because I never knew which hormone would be visiting me daily Wink

I just picked up a book by Suzanne Somers called Ageless. It deals specifically with
hormone imbalances, etc. I'll start reading it tonight, and share what all it states. I saw a tv appearance with her promoting the book, which is how I learned about it and purchased it, and she said she would have such drastic mood swings, that she even attempted jumping out of moving vehicles.

Jelly: When did you enter menopause? Have you had a hyst or any other female surgery?
Have you taken any supplements that have helped with the symptoms?

Boobie love to you all girls

Organic Boobie Love

wonderbride
(Login wonderbride)
SENIOR MEMBER Hi Organic Angel! December 16 2006, 1:45 AM

Yes, I've heard of Suzanne Somers' book. I really think there is something to the hormonal balance thing. Look how well she's aged. I didn't know about her extreme mood changes where she felt like jumping out of moving vehicles. Yikes! That's pretty bad. Let us know what you think of her book. Thanks!

Aloha

Cath
(no login) It DOESN'T cause problems with BCP! December 19 2006, 4:03 PM

This is the third time I've posted this, and people still seem not to be taking it in. Here it is again, but if in doubt after this again, do what I did - and ASK your doctor!

After I originlly read this online, I checked with my GP, who is very open to her patients taking herbs, and great to deal with. She told me Agnus Castus will NOT react with, or negate the effects of my bcp, or vice-versa (this has been checked twice now, as I was on Yasmin, and am now on Cilest) so I happily take it and have done since 15th September.

Once again, for those about to say it was only tested with Marvelon, no, it was not. The original test was with Marvelon, then all top 100 bcp pills were tested.

Copied directly: from http://www.pms.org.uk/About+PMS/News/Onc...April+2006

Does Agnus Castus interact with contraception pill

Agnus CastusNAPS Expert Panel recently received an enquiry regarding the use of Agnus Castus and risks of any interaction if used at the same time as Marvelon, oral contraceptive pill.
Following research by NAPS research GP Dr Carrie Sadler and Lichtwer, the company which supplies Agnus Castus, there seems to be no evidence to suggest that Agnus Castus interferes in any way with the actions of other medicines.

Agnus castus is a herbal medicine which can be used for menstrual problems. It contains no oestrogen-like compounds, but seems to work by affecting the release of specific hormones from the pituitary gland in the brain.

Lichtwer looked specifically for information about any possible interaction between Agnus Castus and the hormones used in oral contraceptives but found no information in any of the standard reference books to indicate any interaction with the contraceptive pill. These books included Herbal Medicines by Barnes, Anderson and Phillipson, Martindale: The complete drug reference from the Pharmaceutical Press, ESCOP Monographs by the European Scientific Cooperative on Phytotherapy, as well as a literature search using PubMed, a data-base service operated by the US National Library of Medicine and the US National Institutes of Health. In 47 publications relating to Agnus Castus, the company found "no information that any interaction has ever been reported after using Agnus Castus. It thus seems highly unlikely that there will be any interaction between Agnus Castus and the oral contraceptive pill," Lichtwer commented. Dr Carrie Sadler agrees. "There is no evidence that Agnus Castus affects the contraceptive efficacy of the pill."

Lichtwer did question whether it was necessary to take Agnus Castus if already on the pill as both products address similar menstrual problems.

So, it does NOT appear to negate the effects at all.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon